Should Treyarch wipe the slate clean? Yay or Nay?

treyarch story  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We have come a long way since world at war. What started off as a simple Game mode about Nazi's that happened to be undead.....turned into a story about a scientific Experiment gone wrong.....from there it turned into a story about betrayal and vengeance. Adding new conspiracies and secrets for the players to find out and connect the dots. Eventually we discovered Samantha in the MPD and set her free, leaving richtofen in charge of the Undead....However things started taking a change for the worse with black ops 2.....We began a new set of quests that either had us completing the same tasks over and over again or in some cases those quests had nothing to do with the story and were just there for filler. Then the final nail in the Coffin of confusion.... Origins.... Is it a parallel universe? or perhaps it's the point of view from Samantha....or maybe it's a Paradox world created by the Rift opening..... nothing is Sure....and nothing can be proven...

So I ask you now...Should treyarch let this mess of a story die and Start a Brand new story unrelated to the Original story? Or should Treyarch try to Fix the current story at the risk of Messing it up even more?.....

1900x1200.jpg

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, I think they should. They've dug themselves into so many deep holes that I'm not sure that even they know where to begin. They've rarely answered questions and instead just raise more with each map. If they do decide to just have a clean slate, then maybe do things like Extinction to an extent, with various Intel scattered across the map (like the radios in Der Riese, except accessible outside of the game). 

Another 2-3 maps to finish up the N4 story and explain a few things, leave some stuff for us to forever wonder. Then Mob-style maps. Hey, they could even try going way back in time or into the distant future to give Zombies a whole new feel. I wouldn't mind.

• Tech Admin

Is it just me or does anyone else think that the story isn't a mess?

Sure we have things which have went unanswered and may have led us up a garden path, but isn't that part of a good story teller, leading you places and leaving trails that might not necessarily lead anywhere? To me the story makes "sense" - I'm off the opinion that we know that they listen to the community, we know that they will take the feedback and "potentially" satisfy those that need to be satisfied.

However, I have a rule. If you watch 20 minutes of a movie and it's shit, tough. I'm now committed and I'll watch it to the end. Treyarch have committed themselves to telling a story, whether you think it's shit or not it's being told and they must stick it out to the end.

"The Greatest Story Never Told"

It's ironic that, what started as a game without a story, turned into a game with a story that was inpart put together by the community trying to figure out if there was a story. Haha.

Treyarch have purposely left gaps throughout the series so that the community can put the pieces together & make it their own. This is truly great marketing. Look at us. Still banging away trying to make the story make sense. Having the mystery there motivates & also frustrates people to make something of it. To understand & perhaps get closer on the subject.

But this can also alienate people away from the story. As most things will forever go on unexplained.

The story started out with a few clues & the community could connect the dots in whatever way seemed to fit. But as the story continued & more subject matter was added, this formula then can fall apart. In the end, I think the majority want to know the "real story". "Tell us everything". I know I'm now at that point.

But I think Zombies will be a 4 game series, with the next one being the last. The Nuketown Comic book page has staples. It shows that is the halfway mark of the story. I have faith in Treyarch that a lot of "unanswered" things will come together. Not all of the little things, but big storyline arcs that may have gone unnoticed.

Things like the CotD "Flying Machine/Spaceship" that drops down the Vrill Generator, VR11 turning zombies backs into humans that are CIA models. In Origins we find out that the machine on the Nuketown loading screen is a "115 Extraction Drill". But what about the flying machine it's attached to? What about Cornelius Purnell & the OSS which originally sent Peter into Verruckt? There are so many things that make for great backstory to be tied together, but sadly the may never be.

So what started out as a community story, may actually be a curse for the hardcore story followers.

Tie the Trilogy together Treyarch, every single branch of it!

Is it just me or does anyone else think that the story isn't a mess?

Sure we have things which have went unanswered and may have led us up a garden path, but isn't that part of a good story teller, leading you places and leaving trails that might not necessarily lead anywhere? To me the story makes "sense" - I'm off the opinion that we know that they listen to the community, we know that they will take the feedback and "potentially" satisfy those that need to be satisfied.

However, I have a rule. If you watch 20 minutes of a movie and it's shit, tough. I'm now committed and I'll watch it to the end. Treyarch have committed themselves to telling a story, whether you think it's shit or not it's being told and they must stick it out to the end.

Honestly no, you're not. 

The storyline up til we push that STUPID button made perfect sense… Then everything got weird and multidimensional…. 

Also sorry for double posting. 

i assume this is concerning the story only, and not game play element wise.  No they shouldn't wipe the slate clean, but they need to go one way or another. If there are going to be story enhancing cut scenes, they need to go all the way and give us details, so that we have less questions and more answers.

The other option is to go the other way and be like black ops 1 where loading screens are cryptic and minimalistic, and there are a few hidden radios in the maps, and maybe the easter egg gives the most detail to the story.

With BO2 they gave us these detailed cutscenes and then never answered any of the quesions that they raised lol

They can't just end the story like this and start anew. "Well...you can...but doooon't" (a little Easter egg for you...anyone get it?)

Anyways. I want them to tie up the loose ends here. Then, I reluctantly say that it'd be alright for them make a new story. Although it would have to go out with a real bang. Not like Buried or Origins did(whichever you believe to be the real endgame)

There are still so many unanswered questions, why on earth would they start anew? 

What they did poorly in BO2 was focus on an objective that Maxis and Richtofen wanted, which was a boring story, because it was just us helping them achieving the plan with nothing happening until Buried. 

What I want is answers to questions we've had since WaW. There's far too much subtlety when the story has gotten so much bigger. At this point, they need to stop being so vague instead of jumping all over the place. 

I'm gonna say YES to your question but only a partial yes...   I think that if they are going to keep a "STORY" they need to erase everything they did in BO2 and pick up where MOON left off because in my opinion the BO2 maps, characters & story were just not all that great!!

Honestly I would be okay if they just scrapped the idea of a story or even having characters for that matter! I'd rather be a MARINE or a SOLDIER or some kind of GOVERNMENT AGENT fighting my way through countless zombies!!!    And they need to implement full character customization too....

what's wrong with the current state of the story? Forgeting origins, the Maxis Buried ending has a lot of potential for continuity. I say work from there. Maxis intends to find Samtofen, and she is probably still with our original gang. That sounds promising.

Imagine if you had never played zombies before and on the first game of BOIII you ever played you were sam. You would say to your friend "hey what does my character look like, it sounds like a girl!" then he looks and sees a middle aged nazi. :D