Your Top 5 LEAST Favorite Maps Thus Far?

I know that the "what's your favorite map?" topic has been around and overdone since the site's creation, but I was thinking, and I realized that I've rarely ever seen a least favorite map thread. So, tell me, what are your top five least favorite maps? (Let's leave DOA out of this.) I'll start.

5. Shi No Numa

This map was great in it's time. Fairly big compared to NDU and Verruckt, new zombies types, the Wunderwaffe, the swamp setting; it all seemed as fresh as the vegetation that resided within. However, it is mainly because of this setting that I'm not the biggest fan of it. The map is pretty plain, and is so damn easy that it can get boring really fast. It also doesn't hold up today as it did in 2009, with the lack of Pack-a-Punch giving players nothing to save up points for. However, it's still a fun map to play, it would just be much more enjoyable with today's mechanics.

VERDICT: 7.5/10

4. "Five"

Four is "Five" here on my list. This map is really neat, with a great cast (my favorite by far) and an interesting location. It's just a shame that the map is made up of entirely copy/pasted locations from the Black Ops campaign. While the locale is intersting, the map structure itself is unoriginal and boring. It also leads to tough areas to hold out in. The only things that really save this map for me are great characters and the Pack-a-Punch mechanic, which requires the special door to be opened. Also, screw the Thief.

VERDICT: 6/10

3. Call of the Dead

Call of the Dead is a really "meh" map to me. The lead up to it was great, with a really unique cast and a strange new uber-zombie in the form of my favorite director, George A. Romero. It was also the map that made me decide that I should finally join this forum. However, the map did not live up to the hype. The fog was annoying, George angered almost everyone, and areas looked boring. The only redeeming qualities in this map for me were the very original side quest, the return of the Wunderwaffe (albeit in power-up form...), the Scavenger, and the relatively easy way to Pack-a-Punch. Everything else flopped for me, though, and in the end, just wasn't the map for me. I really hate snow.

VERDICT: 5.5/10

2. Green Run/TranZit

Gonna make this one short and sweet. Denizens, lava, large but empty, easy side quest with little regarding the story and backstory, and overhyped to the max. Richtofen should have chosen a better location. I'll still play it, though.

VERDICT: 4/10

1. Shangri-La

Shangri-La is the only zombies map that I will rarely ever play. There is no way into the temple that they advertised a lot, the new zombies are some of the largest nuisances in the entire game, the side quest is unnervingly long, the area is too small for my liking, I could go on. Although the other four maps are on my list, I still enjoy them to some extent. But this map? No. It is the only map I hate. I could only wish that my burning hate for it would burn the map to a crisp, with its annoying Napalm zombies and everything.

VERDICT: 1/10

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, I love all the maps. I couldn't be asked to hate any of them. If you forced me to choose, I'd try to cop-out by saying Dead Ops Arcade. If you persisted, I'd say House. Facility. Temple. Overlook. Kino der Toten Wii. Custom Maps. Just don't make me pick the official maps. :(

Don't have time to actually put as much detail into the description as you did so il just list them

1. shi no numa

2. veruckt

3. bus survival

4. shangri la

5. nacht

1. I just don't like the random perks and the slow murky water slowying me down half the time

2. Ehhh haven't played this map much so its not my favorite obviously. plus no great training areas. I guess it should be lower in the list because of this is the map where the perks/traps started but owell :/

3. I played a load of tranzit. And my first favorite training area was the bus depot. and when I go to play bus survival they ruin it by adding cars into the lava pit.

4. Shangri la was ruined for me because my disk was laser burned when I bought it. I downloaded the map and it wouldn't play for me :( So that gave hatred to it. I then played it and it just wasn't fun...

5. Nacht. Yea I may get hate for this but its just not as enjoyable. And you also have to think there arn't that many maps and for me to have to choose 5 to put on a "hate" list then i might be dipping into some good maps. Maybe this should be top 3 least favorite maps.

edit: after reading the other two posts before me I switch out nacht for that one map. you know the one that was on that one game that just had that one gun in it. :lol:

5. Call of the Dead - I really hate putting this one on this list, but george is annoying... I do like the map though.

4. Veruckt - Too small/hard, too raw. At least there are perks.

3. "Five" - So many things annoy me about this map, mainly the spawns and the thief. Teleports too.

2. Nacht Der Untoten - Way too plain, I understand it's the test run map, but it's still annoyingly small.

1. Shangri-La - I pretty much rage quit this map a long time ago, and have refused to play it since. I was all setup PHD, Staminup, Jugg, and Speed(my goto perks) a ray gun and a Galil... running through the tunnels all is well, hop into a geyser to get to the upper level and am met at the top with a Napalm zombie immediately exploding and killing me.......... makes me mad just talking about it :V

Also, good thread. I like to see what people say :)

5: Nuketown: I would LOVE this map, but the zombies double slap like a bitch and it is SO hard to survive with randoms...

4:Assension: Unlike most of you, I HATED this map... The Easter egg was NOT rewarding and those BLLLLLEEEEEEPPPPPP ing monkeys! :evil:

3: Survival bus depot: Very small and there is NOTHING to do.... But EMPS are fairly less painfull in this map...

2: Survival farm: Again SUPER small and no PAP, also EMPs can do MAJOR damage in almost anywhere you throw them (especially the farm house)

1: Tranzit: Do not even get me started:

It's TOO big! The whole map is a good 60% fog or more! And what's in this fog? DENIZENS! The most USELESS jerk in all of zombies... Also a bank so every 2 year old and his brother can get galvas by round 3 and DELIBRATELY take 40% of your kills... The pack a punch is umbeleivably hard to power in solo... The flipping "power weapon" SUCKS (in more ways then one) The entire Easter egg is SO disappointing and SO useless.... You only get a reward of a mysterious spire that hasn't been given upon us yet.... Emps are the WORST tactical known to zombie-kind! The avagadro is pretty ok, but does a lot of damage and can only be killed at close quarters.... Buildable wise, only 4 out of 6 do anything of particular value: The actually usefull zombie sheild that is REALLY exploitable, but I'm glad the brought it back in MOTD, the SUPER useless jet gun that does more damage just running with it then actually aiming at the zombies and breaks after 40 seconds of use, the navcard table that we don't know what it does yet, and the turbine that if you don't have you can't: Power juggernog, get claymores, get Semtex, or any other parts of the bus... Oh and you can TURN OFF THE POWER?!? why maxis why?!! And also! The song! Little known but accurate fact btw the ORIGIONAL song was Skrillex's ima try it out! Then they move to Clark, which was NOT a satisfying song like the AMAZING ax7 song in the trailer...

But the overall WORST part about that map is that it's the default map.... EVERYONE who owns black ops 2 has this map... And its SO useless! Especially with its size, it's the most lagiest map yet and it's giving black ops 2 zombies a bad rap...

If they had switched the order of tranzit and die rise, or mob of the dead... We'd all be hearing better reviews about the map....

-rant over

5.Five- I actually enjoyed this map, but I never got too into it. This is by far my favorite map on this list.

4.Die Rise- Nice idea, but did not live up to the potential it could have had. The easter egg was boring and it wasn't re-playable enough to keep my intrest for more than a week.

3.Call of the Dead- Cool Map in General, but George and the impaired vision due to the weather annoyed me. Vr-11 wasn't great, but I did love the Scavenger. Deadshot was alright, but it wasn't exactly a game changer.

2.Shangri La- I really liked the lighting of this map, but it was just too tight to do most anything. I believe that Treyarch should have mad this map bigger. The Easter Egg was enjoyable.

1.Green Run/Tranzit- This is the only zombies map that I truly hated. It was far too large, the denizans sucked, and the Bus was a boring way of transportation(I'd much rather have telporters or lunar landers).

5. Shangri La

Shangri La was a cool map with many new features. It somewhat brought that L4D feel with the different zombies. But, the map brought a serious degree of difficulty. The map is somewhat small, and the Baby Gun was cool, but from a strategic standpoint I'd say "meh." High rounds was too much of a challenge for me and my friends, and a specific part of the Easter Egg messed us up every time. (Napalm Zombie part.) We never finished it. This map was really just OK to me.

I'd rate it 7/10

4. Moon

When I say Moon, I don't mean No Man's Land or the Easter Egg. Those were freakin' epic. I'm talking specifically about Griffin Station itself. The Anti-gravity of the Moon was very annoying to me, and the limited areas you could survive in made the games feel repetitive for me. The Wave Gun, however, was pretty dang cool. This was a + to the map.

Excluding what was mentioned before, I'd give Griffin Station a 6/10

3. Green Run/TranZit

You know the typical complaints -- Lava, fog, denizens, etc. But the main thing that bothers me is how long it takes to do things. If the entire map was actually playable the size wouldn't might not of bothered me. But the whole idea of most of the map being fog and a few tiny playable locations makes things drag on for hours. Also, the Easter Egg wasn't very fun, epic, nor rewarding. The lack of a legitimate new wonder weapon wasn't very appealing, either. 3arc tried their best to give us something new for BO2, but unfortunately, I was displeased.

I'd give it a 5/10.

2. Shi No Numa

This map was great in it's time. Fairly big compared to NDU and Verruckt, new zombies types, the Wunderwaffe, the swamp setting; it all seemed as fresh as the vegetation that resided within. However, it is mainly because of this setting that I'm not the biggest fan of it. The map is pretty plain, and is so damn easy that it can get boring really fast. It also doesn't hold up today as it did in 2009, with the lack of Pack-a-Punch giving players nothing to save up points for. However, it's still a fun map to play, it would just be much more enjoyable with today's mechanics.

Couldn't have summed it up better myself. I'd say 4.5/10, though.

1. Nacht

For many people, this map brings back feelings of nostalgia and discovery. For me, it brings back frustration and boredom. With the only objective being survival, the actual size of the map, no perks or PaP, and the limited guns, I didn't find it fun. The flamethrower was great, though. Especially when you were able to hurt your teammates. I know I should be cursed by the lords of the Aether for saying this, but the map doesn't appeal to me.

Probably a 1.5/10

• Administrators

5. Call of the Dead

Strangely enough, this is probably my 4th favorite map. But because of how squeezed my list is, it may as well fall into the least favorite category. Zombies can run at lightning speed towards you, even in the shivering waters. George is only a pain if someone shoots him or he yells for the other zombies to get pumped. Maybe I can deal with it more because I usually get my hands on the Scavenger to clear the hordes or because I always go for Stamin-Up, I don't know. The atmosphere is beautiful yet nothing like Tranzit's fog. You'll be running all over the place for something as simple as more ammo or to hit the Mystery Box. But there are a lot of great hold out sections, so a plus to that map.

4. Green Run

I hate having to put Green Run on this list, but it's only because all the other maps are neck to neck, leaving no room for this map. It's a great area that offers so many different stations to utilize and firs introduces the modern weapons to toy around with. The Jet Gun is a bummer, but can be a life saver when used correctly and at the right time. While that is said, the expansive area of nothing but space really damages the credibility of Green Run. I know this is what the Bus is for, but there ought to be a few more areas to go around instead of lava and fog everywhere. The Denizens are annoying, but not really a huge disturbance if you know how to take them out before they are dangerous.

3. Shi No Numa

Arguably one of the easiest maps to date, it's just not a personal favorite for me. The main gripe I have is the double - sometimes triple - slapping zombies who can karate chop you a thousand times in a matter of five seconds. The layout itself is wonderful along with the gondola and different traps. Once you hit past the 30's, it can get boring quickly if you don't have the Wunderwaffe on hand (then again, who goes that high without it?). There is no real strategy other than to train for your life, and believe me when I say that holding out is not an option.

2. Shangri-la

The map isn't horrible for its layout like most slayers would say it is. I have more of a twitch about the mechanics for things like Pack-a-Punch and boss spawns than anything else. It is very similar to FIVE in its close-quarter areas, but at least you have multiple options in getting from point A to point B. The idea of the monkeys are great, but they can be the harbinger of death when you're hitting the redscreen of doom. The same goes for, oh I don't know, Napalm Zombies awaiting your return upon going into the geysers. The Pack-a-Punch machine is also a pain to some extent because the switches will often change locations.

1. FIVE

It's way too complicated for a person who loves expansive layouts and interactive areas. This map is so rigidly tight and enclosed, you are forced to mow down any opposition that comes your way with no chance of turning back. The zombies in FIVE are relentless double-swipers and love to stand in between you and whatever exit you are heading for. It can be pretty exhilarating the first few rounds or if you have a heavy arsenal, but you'll find yourself stuck in every corner known to the Zombies world.

5: Die Rise. Who's Who hates me.

4: Green Run. Look up, plenty of explanations.

3: Kino. I don't necessarily dislike the map, I just played it so much that I can't really stand it anymore.

2: Call of the Dead. George.

1: Shangri-La. I love it, but hate it.

I honestly don't see how people could hate Shangri-La with such a burning passion. It and Mob of the Dead are my favourite maps (I've played them all). Shang is just so easy... In a CASUAL game Lithium and I almost made 20. Could've gone further but when you try M&S for the first time with PhD you go phsyco with ammo wasting ;)

I love all maps to death, but if I had to choose 5 to not love as much,

5. Shi No Numa.

Very boring compared to other maps, and the atmosphere makes me want to go have a shower (Don't even know :lol: )

4.TranZit

They screwed up big time on this map. The map was great, just a little too big. No scenery at all to keep me interested.

3. Der Riese

You are all going to HATE me for this one. I just found the atmosphere of this map similar to SNN. It was hard to find people who DON'T want to run trains in the centre area while teammates sit on the catwalk and assist.

2. Kino Der Toten

This map became boring after I made round 40. The map became too easy, and it just got boring.

1. Ascension.

No explanation needed

I don't really dislike any of them, they've all got something special that makes them but every map comes with its share of piss-offs.

5. Nacht - its small, the first ever zombie map, was really fun at the time now I can't even force myself to play it XD

4. Verrukt - Such an awesome setting (arguably the creepiest yet), really cool how they split up the players but the map is mostly just corridors without much to do and lots of places to get trapped.

3. Green Run - I thought this was amazing when it first came out but after a while all of these new cool things like the Denizens just become annoying, opening pack a punch is rather tedious and the fog is retarded. This map had the potential to be the best yet.

2. Shanri-La - This map is gorgeous visually and I love the setting. The mixture between jungle/temple and underground research mining facilities make for a really cool map with a bunch of hidden features but again the map is too tight and closed off. This is the one map where you really really want to have a good team with mics because chances are you won't even make it as far as pack a punch otherwise.

1. Der Reise - Yes you read that right. perhaps the most beloved map in zombies is my least favourite. This is probably the only map on this list that I actually dislike. Every game I've ever played in Der Reise with others has ended up with them in that one building with the BAR wall weapon and teleporter camping until round 30+ doing NOTHING else. Its retarded so I guess technically my beef isn't with the map itself but rather the players that exploit the spawns and are content to stay in one spot for 2 hours doing nothing else.

I'm tired of hearing "oh Der Reise this, Der Reise that blah blah" I just don't get it why its still such a big deal map. They've topped it 100 times with 1000 different things and people still wet themselves at the idea of a Der Reise remake. If they ever remade Der Reise (again) and not at least Ascension or Moon I'd be FURIOUS.

5. Nuketown - Only thing I don't like is how the perks drop randomly. Yeah, it provides a challenge, but couldn't find any other map to put here. Also saw someone saw how they double slap you at early rounds, yeah, don't like that either.

4. Nacht - I don't really hate it, but doesn't have perks and is too small, so it made it on this list.

3. Ascension - I really hated the monkeys on this map.

2. Shi No Numa - I don't know what it is about this map, but I just don't really like playing it.

1. Five - I hate the characters, they're extremely annoying, I hate that boss round, and I just don't like that map in general.

5: Shi No Numa.Decent in waw,terrible in Black Ops.Way too easy in WAW, cant see anything in Black Ops.Random Perks :evil: and no Pack A Punch.

4.COTD.My least played bo1 map i believe, boring to me, no infinite damage weapon,no traps.George.Not fun IMO.maybe in co-op.MAYBE.

3.Town.Not even a map IMO,its a square with a few rooms,perks ,and pack a punch.Ill play it...rarely.

2.Ascenscion.Too Easy,boring, 33 was simple,could probably go 50 + if i tried now.Really,the only reason to play this map is for relaxing high rounds.No reall EE reward.

1.Green Run.Not a map IMO.terrible,so boring.so hyped and so underpar.i feel bad for those who have only played this map.

Interesting topic Flammenwerfer!

It's definitely tough for me to pick 5.

If I had to pick 5:

#1) Tranzit/Green Run : Too tedious, the horrible horrible fog. The ridiculously awful Easter Egg. No wonder weapon to speak of. near impossible to pack a punch on solo. For a map they had over a year to work on, it really is an abortion of a map. The only one I won't ever willingly go back and re play

#2) Kino Der Toten : I know a lot of people hold this map in very high regard, because a lot of you all didn't start your zombies experience until black ops. The reason I don't like Kino is because of A) the nova zombies, which I have always thought were horrible; and B) another map they had an entire year to work on, and there really weren't any innovations. yes some new weapons and the thunder gun, but overall it was rather bland to me.

#3) Shi No Numa : This is more just a personal choice, simply because I bough WaW several months after it was released and all the map packs were already out, so i downloaded them all at once. Long story short, we pretty much completely skipped playing this because we found der reise first. It's an ok map, but again didn't add much from verruckt, and I'm never a fan of randomized perk locations.

#4 Call of the Dead : I actually like this map, but it gets on the list only because of the fog which is annoying at times, and because of George who is also annoying at times. Although I think it is really fun to kill him and get extra perks, for the most part he is quite the nuisance. Will say the Scavenger is perhaps my favorite WW of all time.

#5 Wow... I have to go Verruckt : I love verruckt... i just happen to love it slightly less than the others. I would love to see reimagined versions of the classic maps with some of the new mechanics such as PaP machine, new perks, etc. plus expanded gameplay area I think that would be a ton of fun.

So yeah, some of the less popular ones Five and Shangri La are among my favorites, but all in all they all hold a dear place in my heart

I will not be including the mini green run maps (town, farm, ect) or Dead ops arcade as I feel those are not real maps.

5-Five

For number five, we have...Five. Five was an interesting map with a really cool concept, good characters and an awesome way to get to pack a punch. However the smallish akward map design on top of the fact that the wonder weapon was worthless(SUCH a cool idea though. and they made it into crap) made this map clostrophobic and difficult.

4- Call of the Dead

Bottom line, the ice is annoying, the fog was a total pain in the ass, speaking of which don't even get me started on george. But it was a VERY good map. I just didn't like it.

3- Shi No Numa

I don't hate Shi No Numa...but i dont love it either. The design is pretty cool, but this feels like a map that should have been bigger and had pack a punch...but didn't.

2- Nacht Der Untoten

This map...almost scared me away from zombies. And it did for a while. When i was younger in the W@W days my friend brought it over and we played and he asked if i wanted to see the secret level. I agreed and was presented with (at least at my age) a horrifing twisted nightmare of a game that haunted me for three days afterword. and to this day(don't ask why, i know its not that scary to other people) nacht Freaks me the F*** out. I'm actually SCARED of that map. Plus its tiny and boring XD

1- Kino Der Toten

My most despised zombie map of all time. Cramped, repetative, boring, overplayed, and adored by everybody for no reason but *cough* Thundergun *cough* and an easy circle running area. Its...just absolutly terrible.

• 3 weeks later...

5. Moon it was a good map don't get me wrong it was just to hard to play with randoms.

4. Shi No Numa for some reason I just didn't like I guess it's because I never really got into it.

3. Farm it was to small and got easily overrun and just became a nightmare after a few rounds.

2. Verrückt it got a little boring after a couple of plays.

1. Nacht der Untoten it got boring after a while and I never got any joy from playing it and it was way to easy.

5.Dead Ops 4.Five 3. Verruckt 2.Tranzit 1. Motd

Glad to see atleast 1 Motd on a list. I don't necessarily dislike it but I think there are a lot of great maps getting killed on that list while Motd still is in the "sparkle" phase. Strangely enough I just feel the map is to small for all the thing's they put in it. Tranzit style goal's with Verrückt corridor's and an annoying moon PaP. That and Brutus is an awesome boss mob till he spawns right on top of you for an instant down.

5. Die Rise - Trample steam, trample steam, trample steam. Best invention, worst party killer (free perk problems, getting flung off a building from malfunction).

4. Motd - see above

3. Turned/Diner - Did they even think about the mode or map location? 8 player with 2 humans in a large town/cabin/power area fog free style map would've been better. Throw in some AI zombie's which give less and have player zombie's specialized so they're noticeable.

2. Nacht - Spoiled by the depth's of the other's

1. Bus Depot - Why did they include this? Pure map count's (bo1 Kino/five/doa, bo2 tranzit/bus depot/farm)? I love pure survival map's. Nuketown is one of my all time favorite even when I don't get jug till the 4 or 5th drop. I don't know, maybe with no perk's they should've at least done something? Throwing in at least 5 old WaW wall gun's in there would've made that exclusive and something every fan would be ecstatic to mess around with here and there for nostalgia.