Does suiciding accomplish anything

This is a topic that annoys me a bit. When I see some one get to a high round and then suicide because they got board I ask myself what does that accomplish?

I can think of what is going through people's minds when they suicide. I've been playing this one game for 3 hrs or however long it has been and I'm bored so I will kill myself so I can do something else.

Now this is what I like to call someone who is easy to bore, why even start playing if you get bored in the long run? I understand that not everyone likes going for high rounds but if your going to suicide in solo than why not just play co op.

Another reason that people suicide can also be because they want to seem better than they are. How many times have you heard some one say. "I could have gotten a lot higher but I got bored and suicided."

This puts people under the impression that you are better than what you are, they can't truly determine your skill if you suicide so they have to accept your word.

Now some of the times where I don't mind when people suicide is when they are testing something in the game or they are purposely trying to get to a certain round as a celebration video on YouTube. Eg round 115 for your 115th video.

This is just food for thought. I hope to hear your opinions on this topic.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll admit, I got a little worried when I sorry your topic title!

Zombies can be a very tedious and boring game. Some people have the endurance for it, and some don't. To some, it's not really worth trying to get into the 100's if it takes you hours upon hours of the same map, with the same character. Sure, they can pause and take breaks, but people have lives beyond Zombies and they'd rather not have their console overheat..

In short, suiciding (in the game of course) allows you to escape the repetition of Hoard Kill Repeat and the much hated hitting the box, hoping to refill your WW's ammo, and to preserve your stats. If I think the game's dragging on, I'll personally go into death wish mode and train in horrible spots in order to kill myself.

if your going to suicide in solo than why not just play co op.

I'm not too sure I understand you're reasoning there. With solo, you at least have the advantage of taking breaks and not feeling guilty if you just wanna end it. I know someone going down in CO-OP can easily be a game ender, but having a competent team kinda makes that a moot point.

I think once you have beat the game you earn the right to suicide whenever you want.

Edit - you can suicide whenever you want.

Beating the game is over 100 solo, over 70 coop or any game ending error due to script issues.

I think that whilst there are a few people who say they suicide to make themselves look better, it's a minority.

There are so many reasons why you would suicide on a high round.

I always found the idea of committing suicide in Zombies absolutely barbaric. If you have the time to get to a really high round, which takes a long time, I don't want to hear anything about how you don't want to go any higher. If you've been playing for eight hours, I doubt playing another hour would be that devastating to your life. You've already committed so much to the cause, so I do not understand why you would just give up at this point. I see in-game suicide almost metaphorical for real-life suicide. You try and try until you're just done trying. You're tired. Despite the fact that you could go so much farther. It's like, why play the game if you're just going to give up? But that's the point. Why play the game? they think. So then they kill themselves. Why live the life? It is a negative feedback loop.

I always found the idea of committing suicide in Zombies absolutely barbaric. If you have the time to get to a really high round, which takes a long time, I don't want to hear anything about how you don't want to go any higher. If you've been playing for eight hours, I doubt playing another hour would be that devastating to your life. You've already committed so much to the cause, so I do not understand why you would just give up at this point. I see in-game suicide almost metaphorical for real-life suicide. You try and try until you're just done trying. You're tired. Despite the fact that you could go so much farther. It's like, why play the game if you're just going to give up? But that's the point. Why play the game? they think. So then they kill themselves. Why live the life? It is a negative feedback loop.

^^This.In my opinion,suiciding doesnt really bother me,if say its a round 50 or 100,but if your going for a really high round,i.e.a WR or a 200+,suiciding is pointless.Play until you die,get reset,or your console overheats.

this is really a load of non-sense. Assuming there are some other adults who post on this website, time constraints are an actual thing. Families, jobs, activities. Sometimes I want to play solo zombies, and many times I don't have unlimited time to play. So what happens when my time is up and the zombies havent killed me? I end the game/suicide Its the only way to end an otherwise endless game mode.

this whole topic really is a waste, there isn't anything to discuss really

You don't seem to have really understood what I said.

No one has medium-kinda-sorta time constraints. You either have time or you don't. You either have time for a really long high round or you don't. You either have time to go about 40+ or 10+. No one has time to go round Round 71 or below, but not 72! "I could go one more round, but I only made sure to spare enough time in the day to do 71 Rounds. Not 72."

So yeah. I have no sympathy for quitters. If you can make the time to do a high round, you should finish it properly. That's my belief. I'm not going to change how others play, but that is how I see it. It's plain out quitting 'cause you're beat. If you suicide, in my eyes, you lost the stamina aspect of a zombie apocalypse.

I think the difference here, is MMX is referring to people who start the game with intent to do as high as they possibly can.

Where as others are thinking he is referring to people who just start a survival game for the fun of it.

However MMX you are still somewhat incorrect. The world isn't absolute like that.

I could intend for a world record and set aside 3 days straight to play. If by some miracle my console never overheats and I finally reach that record round only breaking occasionally for sleep, food, and the ocassional stretch, and I'm still going strong and I have work the next day am I not allowed to end the game by your standards? No one can KNOW how long a record game will take, and as such no one can accurately plan for the amount of time needed. I'll play until I need to go. I've already broken the record and played for days, by some stroke of luck, or an underestimation of my personal skills I used up all of the ample time I set for myself. I will end the game, and you have absolutley no right to tell me that I am wrong in doing so.

You can take a break, assuming it is solo, where 95% of high-round suicides occur. Just pause and take a break to continue your high round record later. I have no sympathy if someone isn't willing to do that. If it is on co-op, there's a bit of leeway, but I still won't feel sorry for someone that loses their record the next month because they suicided when they could have gone farther.

Well not really.

I set a goal for R50 on Solo on each BO2 map. No more, no less. At that time, I do a weird challenge which usually results in my death. But if I were to make to the end of the round, I would kill myself, or just let the last zombie kill me. It's not a sign of accomplishment in my eyes.

Maybe some people just don't want a down and death on their stats lol.

@MMX Just take into account outside circumstances can play a part. Family emergency, called into work unexpectedly, etc. I understand and agree you shouldn't feel sorry for them (Nothing to feel sorry for, they are just playing a game they ended on their own terms usually), but there are things that no one has control over.

When I've suicided solo games, it's not 3 - 8 hr games. It's games that go on for 5 days or more, where I've already accomplished everything I set out to do.

When you get to real high rounds, the game becomes these uber redundant horde-kill-repeat patterns. Rounds can take over an hour long. You've hit a point where the map is no longer a challenge and you're running extra laps just to say you did. Your mind feels like a hampster in a wheel. Once you are at this stage of the game, you may start debating with yourself when it's time to pull the plug. "Do I really want to waste another hour of my life, just to say I got one round higher?"

If it's no fun anymore, why play? If you're bored, go play something else. IMO the game is about fun, not stamina.

- Mix

Besides the occasional co-op game where its a 3-1 vote on continuing the game, i have only suicided once. It was on my round 100 game in motd. i started the game the day before, with a goal to find out the fastest possible way to get the redeemer and the spork. Once i got it, i didnt feel like waisting the hard work so i kept playing. I played through the night and by 95 i was tired and went to sleep. Woke up finish the last 5 rounds. Then ended it by dolphin diving off the top of juggernog. I would have loved to kept playing but i had to pack for a flight. So that meant I had to turn off my xbox. I was fine with it. I then got to round 99 on buried with three zombies left and a cat opened up my sisk tray ending my game that i could have went a lot farther but owell.

• 4 weeks later...

No one has medium-kinda-sorta time constraints. You either have time or you don't. You either have time for a really long high round or you don't. You either have time to go about 40+ or 10+. No one has time to go round Round 71 or below, but not 72! "I could go one more round, but I only made sure to spare enough time in the day to do 71 Rounds. Not 72."

So yeah. I have no sympathy for quitters. If you can make the time to do a high round, you should finish it properly. That's my belief. I'm not going to change how others play, but that is how I see it. It's plain out quitting 'cause you're beat. If you suicide, in my eyes, you lost the stamina aspect of a zombie apocalypse.

actually a ton of people have kinda-sorta time constraints. They are called spouses lol. Also, although I'm a big zombies fan, sometimes I just get tired of playing. When i start playing zombies most of the time I have no round in mind as a goal. Im just playing to have fun. Seems like you and some others are making it out to be some dead-serious endeavor. i think it's time to lighten up!

• Administrators

actually a ton of people have kinda-sorta time constraints. They are called spouses lol. Also, although I'm a big zombies fan, sometimes I just get tired of playing. When i start playing zombies most of the time I have no round in mind as a goal. Im just playing to have fun. Seems like you and some others are making it out to be some dead-serious endeavor. i think it's time to lighten up!

I agree with Birdman completely. For me high rounds just sort of happen just like life. Spouses, kids, parents, friends, all add unforseen elements that can stop you from finishing. I guess if you consider yourself a pro-runner and have goals set you would be correct, but as a recreational player it's just not the same situation. Nor do I believe anyone is asking for sympathy. I don't have a connection that will stay paused for days and days. So I would like the record I have had time to earn to be on the boards rather than being timed out.

When it comes to zombies, you need a goal or excitement. And if neither is given, it's boring.

You say, why even start when you don't go for the full program. But maybe I don't expect, or don't plan to even reach that point. Maybe I just expect to see some randoms dying, making fun of them, maybe I'm just wondering what people I meet in a public or something. Maybe I just wanna find out, how this specific game is going.

As long as I do easter eggs, as long as I still have to acquire the golden shovel, as long as I don't have my favorite gun/perk setup, I go on. But as soon as I reached it, I play 2 rounds running around, noticing I do always the same, noticing this is endless. And the thought comes up: "Better stop now than doing this another 6 hours".

If you don't have a good leaderboard score, you may set your goal to go as high as possible and continue, but if your leaderboard score is decent and your happy with it, there is like no reason to go on.

Today I played BO1 with some friends again on SSN, on 30 it was just bäh. If I wanna improve my score, I better did it in 2ppl, we would anyway run out of ammo soon, each round takes hours, I'm all set up, always doing the same 2-3 circles (even switched the circles I did to give it more excitement); overall nothing to do besides waiting for the game to end. So why not suicide. I had fun and all was cool, but everything that would have happened if we continued would have been boredom. Why wasting your time? After 1.5k hours of BO1, I've seen those zombies. Why should I force myself to continue, if it's no fun at the moment? I have no goal, no excitement since nothing special happens, just... nothing...

1. It's just a game.

2. It's the journey, not the destination. Had enough journey? Do something else.

3. Work the next day is more important, sadly.

4. I'm 44, after 9 hours of Buried, my hands hurt. I'm stiff from laying in the same spot.

5. 30+ minutes per round of zombies loses it's fun.

Winning zombies for me is getting to the point where fun becomes chore then leaving. Some maps are hard enough that i have a highest round. Some are so easy that i simply don't have enough time, nor desire, to continue for as long as possible.

I'm ocd, so i understand your obsessive view, but understand this: you are obsessive, don't expect to understand others who are not. The people who get sick of zombies after an hour or two are normal. We are the weird ones; playing a video game for more than a quarter of a day at a time...

Edited out eggnog/ate/do as they made this post make much less sense.

1. I only suicide on Buried and Ascension, as they are the only maps I feel I can go on forever.

2. I have 50+ games to play on the ps3 alone, and a few real life friends that like to game with me nightly, if I didn't have so many options I could probably go longer, but that's just another excuse right?

3. It gets extremely repetitive after 50 rounds, it's the same gather, kill, gather, kill that makes it feel not worth playing. I can do different methods or just try to go in with no strategy but that just gets me killed, and is no different than giving up in my opinion, doing something different just because it makes it fresh, yet knowing it will kill you.

4. I suicide at any time (solo) just depending on mood, if I get invited over to a friends or am somehow coaxed to leaving my house, I rarely leave my console on because I'm just nervous like that and don't want my house to burn to the ground because I have to keep killing zombies. Sometimes I suicide on round 15, sometimes 60, though I never considered any of that something to brag about.

Those are just some of my reasons, I don't brag about suiciding, and never took someone to say they do, as one who is bragging, but I'm sure it happens. I just include the fact because yes, I don't want someone to think I died on round 60 on buried because I lacked the skill to do the same thing over and over. This is starting to sound like a rant and that wasn't my intention, so I'll just wrap it up and say no, it's not impressive that you can suicide, but it's necessary to include that fact because it does give the impression you know you could go farther, which most of the time means you have the skill.