Sledgehammer confirmed to be making 2014 CoD!

Really for buried? I actually know a few who like it. Its sort of in the same boat as tranzit, good every now and then.

Yeah, seriously man. Most people I play with or speak with say they loved the EE but hated the map. I have played through it a few times recently and still don't enjoy it. The maps does not feel very atmospheric.  The design really leaves me feeling off with the map. I look at how many areas are so poorly laid out and in almost every game I play, I am usually on the dirt path outside training. Aside from that area, the map has no other training spots, and all the camping spots are near identical. Either 1-3 windows and an entrance, or no windows and just a back to the wall strat.

It looks awesome, but it just feels thrown together. Having the house was clever, but still just felt stupid. Having the big guy having to open stuff EVERY game was also tedious to the point of being off putting.

The fact that it is too easy, even for novice players is straw that broke the camels back for me unfortunately, and that is a theme ever present on BO2. They definitely dumbed down the zombies to cater for a bigger market, and maps like Buried suffer because of that too.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People liked that EE? I still haven't finished that POS. Mostly because two of my friends suck at the target practice part. Usually when I play the game I just run all over, so I have no problems with training or camping (although the church can be a fun spot for that). I guess it's just your style of play that really affects how fun a map is. That and the set up can be bad.

Dumbed down for a bigger market? I don't think that at all. The only one that has shown signs of that is buried. Everything else tends to be needlessly complicated. That's more of what I've been seeing as a complaint.

I am pretty sure the zombies have definitely been dumbed down in BO2. In BO1 if you get too close to the zombies they WILL beat the shit out of you within a split second. In BO2, you can dance and prance around them, almost mocking them while doing it and you are lucky to get struck even once (bit of a slight exaggeration, but not much).

This is obvious when comparing the leaderboards in BO1 to those in BO2. Most players on my friends list have 30-40 recorded on their co-op BO1 leaderboards, but scores between 50-70 on co-op leaderboards. Sure there is strats you can use in co-op on BO1 that make it easy, but mistakes can and usually do get made because the zombies are pretty unforgiving in BO1. On BO2, the only thing preventing high rounds for most decent players is fatigue.

I am of the persuasion that BO2 was made somewhat easier so it could try to expand itself to a wider audience, and it is pretty evident that it worked. Talking about things that let BO2 down... the removal of Private matches! Why was this done!?! Trying to get a 2-3 player match going in a public lobby is a complete farce. Who's stupid idea was that one? Yeah, then there was the fact that matches stopped counting if someone left.

NOW all the reasons why I hated BO2 are coming back to me. lol

Yeah, you're either exaggerating or just way better than me at this. I've noticed no visible difference in the attacks of zombies. 

Your friends must also be freaking amazing, because no one on my friends list has made it much further than 40. I don't even want to think about going past that on Co-op... good god... That's like, a week of your life gone at that point (high exaggeration).

You can keep telling yourself that, but tbh BO2 is overall harder for the casual player, in set up and staying alive. Also, wth are you talking about? Private matches still exist.

You can keep telling yourself that, but tbh BO2 is overall harder for the casual player, in set up and staying alive. Also, wth are you talking about? Private matches still exist.

Yeah, I do agree that the setup required in BO2 causes a lot of problems for players, but the maps and zombies are definitely easier to deal with. My friends list is made up of great players so that is probably one of the reasons the leaderboards look pretty decent I suppose.

Private matches are not the same as they were in BO1. Custom matches do not count towards the leaderboards, where as private matches did. It is a struggle sometimes (most times actually) to get a 2 player match going in a public lobby, so why did they even bother giving us various co-op leaderboards in the first place!?

My point is that if they kept the original set up for private matches, getting a 2 or 3 player match set up to count on the leaderboards would have been simple.

@zen, I disagree. The zombies might be easier, but overall the maps cause hazards that make them more difficult than BO1. Tranzit, you had... freakin everything really. Die Rise, the height, close corners, and jumping jacks. MOTD, again close corners (I feel as if I've has most of my problems on this one for whatever reason). Buried... lol, you got me there. Origins, panzers and robots, and certain close corners.

Looking at BO1... the only remotely difficult ones were Shangri La, Five and maybe COTD. It was just a train fest in most of the others, particularly ascension and kino. The only problem there was ammo shortages in my experience.

Ok, that explains private matches then (though I swear some of mine showed up on the leaderboard. It's been awhile).

From my experience the zombie swings didn't have as much a difference. There would be times when I could run right through a crowd and not die, but I typically avoid doing that. I'm not a soloer or kiter so I would not know this. 

I noticed hit detection as soon as I started playing BO2, I think with the larger places, also the fact they come straight from the ground more than ever, it's a fair balance to tone them down a bit. I've died a few times on BO1 just being in the mind set I am in when hoarding on BO2, you can run by a pile on 2 and get hit a couple times, but it seems they all hit you at once on BO1, which was more challenging, but not by much.

I still can't figure out why people hate Tranzit, I figured everyone would know how to navigate the lava pits by now and the fog is a joke, you can get in the habbit of using the knuckles without even turning around to hit a denizen, if timed right you can kill them in front of you, even though they are behind you.

I won't say it's a great map, it was just a ballsy attempt at a campaign style mode that fell short, unfinished parts of story/easter eggs left in the game is a huge no no, at least they could have told us so we didn't waste all that time, following all those false discoveries from the community.

What made this game too easy was persistent upgrades, or the ones like flopper on Buried, an already overly easy map, the Tombstone upgrade is amazing, but lets be honest, it's OP on maps like Tranzit where it can be a challenge to collect all your perks at the beginning of a high round, or even during mid round.

Buildable traps were also OP in my opinion, they were underrated in Tranzit but I can run the Diner with a shield almost effortlessly, when it breaks I notice an instant increase in having to survive.

We wont get into the bank/fridge lol

I'll also add with each map, we get a new perk, and while they don't all carry over to other maps, the standard reward/goal is to obtain all perks in whatever map you are on, and almost all maps allow it, therefor, the game becomes insanely easy with 6-8 perks going at once.

I love most of these features, and appreciate Treyarch's attempt at innovation, we say we now want another BO1, but I guarantee you that if we just got the BO1 experience there would lots of fans upset they paid full price for what should have been DLC. I'll hold BO1 over BO2 any day, but I'm glad they at least TRIED to take it to a new level, in many ways it failed, but with all the feedback, and the experience itself, they have a great base to build the next Zombies game on. If it were up to me, less buildables, real easter eggs with little to no hints (definitely no voice hints) and for the love of God...let us keep DT 2.0 :lol:

@zen, I disagree. The zombies might be easier, but overall the maps cause hazards that make them more difficult than BO1. Tranzit, you had... freakin everything really. Die Rise, the height, close corners, and jumping jacks. MOTD, again close corners (I feel as if I've has most of my problems on this one for whatever reason). Buried... lol, you got me there. Origins, panzers and robots, and certain close corners

Origins was hard initially for sure, and MotD is not always an easy map to traverse through, but the rest are all relatively easy enough when I compare them to playing on Black Ops 1 maps.

I am not saying that BO2 is a walk in the park, but it was not even remotely challenging enough, and if anything it dumbed down the series somewhat, replacing the challenge of the zombies with the challenge of getting setup and dealing with trolls.

Thankfully, I don't play public matches though. Gave that up early in the BO1 season.

Yeah, it's really the setup that's difficult more than anything else... After a bit it's moreso a chore than anything, for both BO1 and BO2. I still wouldn't say dumbed down, though. There was barely a set up in BO1. Just grab perks, weapons, and go. The slight change in zombie behavior might make BO2 slightly easier, but it doesn't mean that it's "dumbed down." That's the key phrase there. Besides, in the higher rounds for most people it's just run in circles either way. It hardly gets dumber than that. It's just easier to evade zombies in BO2.

@tattoo, it's that tranzit is just annoying more than anything else. Persistent perks have always been meh to me. Buildables, mostly meh. Only OP ones were trample steam and sliquifier, but shield was just useful. And the bank... that just sucks. We can all agree on that.

I think we will maybe have to just agree to disagree on the difficulty factors between both games then. lol. (I'm cool with that... :P)

It could easily be down to the fact that maps were much bigger, so opened up more also, but I just did not feel that there was enough challenge in the majority of the maps. I know I am decent at the game mode, but it does not stop me taking a few tumbles now and again on BO1 maps... even Ascension. :o

I just don't feel the danger factor in BO2 maps. Even Origins is crazy easy these days. I got to 69 solo before taking a down on my high round run, and did a quick round 52 run on co-op with only 1 down. If that was Moon or Ascension, I am sure I could add another 2-3 downs onto that for sure.

Got me in the mood to run some BO1 high rounds now... lol

Dude, you say you get 52 on Co-op like it's nothing. After today I feel like the worst zombies player ever, lol. Highest was 40 on moon. Don't even say decent. 52 is freaking amazing.

You see, when you get these kinds of high rounds it's just no wonder you guys think BO2 is easier. Either way, yeah let's agree to disagree on difficulties, because I am nowhere near that level.

I am not going to lie, getting to 52 (or higher) on Origins or most BO2 maps is pretty easy. It is more about fatigue than skill, but there is some strategies we use to speed up the process, like camping together earlier or training together... stuff like that.

40 on Moon is actually really good though, as it takes some time to get there... even on 2 player matches. If you can get to 40 on Moon, then nothing is stopping you getting to 50, 60 or beyond, so do not under estimate how decent you are.

If you get the right team, you can get into the 40s in under a few hours. The ones that need a crawler or window zombie every round or two are the ones that make the game take too long, it's been an annoying thing for me since I can remember. Can't understand how someone couldn't use a An94 until the 30s, and get you a box weapon if you feel like it.

I have a pretty strange outlook on fun factor on zombies, I'd rather have a little struggle in the rounds than just run the same loop and try to not fall asleep. Of course, when we go for high rounds it's all about routine and not getting in anyone's way. But usually if I am out of ammo, I'll just say start the round and go a wall weapon or restock the ammo from a wall weapon. It doesn't take much to know to do your bathroom, smoking and eating before we start, if you have to use the restroom an hour or whatever from then, then fine I just hate the "I need to use the restroom"(comes back) "Now I need to smoke, and get some food and sit here and eat it"

It's more fun for me to power through to high rounds and risk failure than to stick to my guns and take the methodical, slower approach. I don't even consider myself great, I've played since W@W so I guess that makes me ok at the game, but even still there are all sorts of skill levels out there, more than a rank can describe so it's just about finding the people that enjoy the same pace you do.

And I respect the idea some think Tranzit is annoying, I just think it requires a more serious player because yes it's a bit testy to go down and bleed out because someone is in town and you're at the Diner, still though, I love the feeling the map has, it really looks like a destroyed earth, and the voices of the dead citizens are a great touch.

Not counting NTZ or MOTD because the complaints are few, but none the less, they haven't done a horrible job. They've done different things to try and make the game more fun. Honestly, their only real failure was tranzit in that regard. One of the problems you guys seem to have is that you want another BO. It's nothing to do with the story related to the map. It's that you prefer the basic way BO was set up: Der Riese clones. An easy set up that allows you to gets far. That's good for solors, but it gets boring after awhile.

I kinda agree with this.

For me I just find more replayability in BO2 in BO1. And that's to do with the maps feeling unique and largely not the same. I would say Ascension is closest to Der Riese in layout, and maybe that's why it's a success and one of the more popular maps. BO1 just felt largely the same in some way. The Wonder Weapons in a way felt the same, although they were unique to some extent. I felt BO2 had more unique Wonder Weapons though (I didn't like we always had Monkey Bombs though, need to change it up).

The formula in BO1 feels the same in retrospect. From Der Riese to Moon. With BO2, I appreciate they tried to add on to the formula with Buildables, Bank/Weapons Locker and Persistant Upgrades. It sort of felt like going from Nacht to Verruckt, or Shi No Numa to Der Riese, in that they tried adding something new into the formula which would stay.

With those, I only liked Buildables and to a lesser extent, Weapons Storage.

Buildables need to be unique though. I think I'm the only one, but I really liked the Trample Steam. Your never going to stop glitchers and hackers, and it was another tool for them to use. But I actually liked how it literally changed map dynamics and such. Maybe not to the extent you had to rely on it in Die Rise, but I liked that it was an option in Buried. And I actually want more Buildables that directly alter gameplay like that. The Zombie Shield I liked, but it was a bit OP in regards to how easier BO2 was. Maxis Drone was also nice, and pretty cool it was upgradable. Only other thing I thought was okay was the Head Chopper, but only because it could stick to the roof/walls and wasn't something that needed the Turbine. Everything else I pretty much hated, especially buildable Wonder Weapons. The cool thing about Wonder Weapons is how they changed when PaP, and the story behind, which the two buildable one's don't have.

Oh and also, picking up items to build, needs to be like MOTD and Origins. So sick of only carrying one piece at a time.

Weapons Locker I feel needs to be accessed at a hard/later spot, and shouldn't be accessed at the start. Perhaps even have a timed lock on it, so it can only be accessed after Round 20 or something like that.

I do see the flaws in BO2 though, and understand why people want something more BO1 orientated. For me though, I want something that is a mix of BO1 and BO2, the right mix. Not more BO1 stuff, not more BO2 stuff, but equal stuff.

PS. Regarding the boredom of BO2 and it's maps, it's why I do challenges on them from time to time. Ever tried camping in the Barn without Vulture Aid or the Paralyzer? The Maze with only the PhD Flopper Upgrade, M&S, War Machine and RPG? Only staying in the fog, camping at the bottom of the Spawn elevator, etc. There are all these exciting challenges one can do to spice up BO2.

We don't want another black ops, I respect the build-ables, the double PAPing, the new guys, the new perks, the new music choices, the new game modes. 

What I do not support is how much trayarch tried to accomplish, but then ended up having to half-ass it for lack of time. Poor easter eggs, low amount of reward, poor map design, poor story execution, and what not… this should NOT be an issue if trayarch is given an extra year. 

In-fact, I am fully willing to predict that trayarch will completely revolutionize their game now they have more then triple the prep time just for the first maps. If they don't, and it's still shit… Pewwwww goes all respect for them… 

We don't want another black ops, I respect the build-ables, the double PAPing, the new guys, the new perks, the new music choices, the new game modes. 

What I do not support is how much trayarch tried to accomplish, but then ended up having to half-ass it for lack of time. Poor easter eggs, low amount of reward, poor map design, poor story execution, and what not… this should NOT be an issue if trayarch is given an extra year. 

In-fact, I am fully willing to predict that trayarch will completely revolutionize their game now they have more then triple the prep time just for the first maps. If they don't, and it's still shit… Pewwwww goes all respect for them… 

Yeah, I am in agreement with this. I appreciate that they tried to do new things, but the execution was poor. The maps looked great visually, but the design of most of them was not very well thought out. MotD and Origins had good layouts that worked well when traversing to various areas. The other maps were not so great. Die Rise is a decent enough idea, but they should have definitely made a better may to get back up the map, like a stairwell or something. That kills it for me.

I hope that with the time they have, they put it to use of a good storyline, while also developing the claustrophobic style maps. Not necessarily small maps, but maps that make you feel trapped. Like you have no choice but to fight. I would also like much more challenging, meaningful EE's that reward the player with unique things not found in the game outwith them, or at least something useful. I would also like them to be something that seems purposeful.

I have faith that they will deliver next time. I am sure they will know what we liked and disliked about BO2 and will understand that it is potentially make or break for the series also. Just so damn long to wait... WTF!?! :(

• 3 weeks later...

Not to make anyone super excited because this is only a theory, but since Sledgehammer is making a new CoD, that doesn't mean that Treyarch isn't coming out with something new... could it be possible that Treyarch is coming out with a Zombies only game that will not conflict with the whole CoD scheme they've had for the last 10 years?

No, there will likely won't be a cod zombies game until the vey end of the franchise. By then I hope the storyline is as elaborate and fantastic as Doctor Who's. In which case, the mode will go out with a BANG! I still see a few years left in which they can REALLY squeeze out the money, which they will. Then Cod, id say about 16: Apocalypse: Zombies: Game of the year edition.

The game can still release annually while receiving more development time than usual.

If anything this is better than what we had, sure we have to wait longer for Zombies but now we get possibilities of things like a new engine.

You also get one year of extra polish on each Call Of Duty game, which means better Zombies.

I thought cod ghost had a new engine....it looked like morden warfare 2 so is that new to them

• 2 weeks later...

Since trollarch tanks at cod mp, i wish they would do zombies only, while the other two groups did mp.

Bo1 zombies were too much the same with the same wall weapons in each map. Bo2 brought too much busy work, running around and around, making hour long early rounds was dumb.

On the plus side, an extra year should mean less zombie glitches, no tiny mp maps.

If there is a nuke town or firing range remake, i will never buy from Trollarch again. Once was too much, twice was downright insulting.

I actually enjoyed bo2, despite the badly designed mp maps and constant glitches. Bo1 was worse in every way, of course.

Ghosts did a great job on the mp, the maps are so much better than anything Trollarch insults us with, the prestiging and multiple soldiers was cool too. Sadly, safeguard is probably their best side game yet...i wanted extinction to not be lame...

What i fear is this: instead of fixing glitches and programming errors for that extra year, they will stuff too much into the game, but not actually fix their plethora of bugs/glitches that are almost guaranteed, given their track record. Their sloppy work is really killing their games. I'm so tired of zombie games ending to a glitch...