The Reznov Factor

Viktor Reznov. Man. Myth. Legend. Illusion.

Alias: The Wolf

Height: 5'11' (what happens if you reverse that? ;) )

Born: April 20, 1913 in St. Petersburg, Russia

Viktor Reznov is perhaps one of the most interesting characters in Call of Duty history, he has appeared in 3 separate games. His first appearance was in World at War, where he was a sniper trying to assassinate a German general. His second was in Black Ops, where he allegedly escapes from the prison Vorkuta. The third appearance was in Black Ops 2, in which he helped Alex Mason escape dehydration from the desert.

But his name has been brought to our ears again, if only subtly.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In Mob of the Dead, if you "Pack A Punch" the Ak47 - it is renamed Reznov's Revenge

This got me to thinking: why is the AK being treated like an homage to Reznov? I mean I get that he's Russian, and Kalishnikov is Russian. Big whoop. There must be more to this...

But then I started thinking about where history ended, and where illusion began. When Alex Mason encountered Reznov - they were in a prison named Vorkuta. Vorkuta prison was established in 1932, but Reznov was not imprisoned until 1945. Here's an in-game screenshot of the exterior of Vorkuta prison when Reznov was there:

Okay, so there's one glaring thing in the screenshot - THERE'S A GIANT EXCAVATOR. THE SAME EXCAVATORS FROM MOON. They are specifically referred to as "Bucket Wheel Excavators". Now, in-game they are there to mine coal apparently. Believe it or not the first of these babies were emerging in the 1920s.

In the 1950s two German mining firms ordered the world's first extremely large BWEs, and had three BWEs built for mining lignite near Cologne, Germany. The German BWEs had a wheel of over 52 feet (16 m) in diameter, weighed 5,500 short tons (5,000 t) and was over 600 feet (180 m) long, with eighteen crawler units for movement and could cut a swath of over 600 feet (180 m) feet at one time

source - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bucket-wheel_excavator

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But anyway, we're not here to talk about bucket wheel excavators, we're here to talk about VIKTOR REZNOV. When Reznov escapes from prison, he has many of the other inmates help him. While escaping - they all recite an 8 step plan, and this is where I say "think of Mob of the Dead while you are reading this":

1. Secure the keys. (Obtain the keys from the guard)

2. Ascend from darkness. (Take the elevator to get to the surface).

3. Rain fire. (Use the slingshot to destroy the guard towers).

4. Unleash the horde. (Rally the prisoners with the broadcast system in Vorkuta).

5. Skewer the winged beast. (Shoot down the helicopter).

6. Wield a fist of iron. (Acquire the Death Machine).

7. Raise Hell. (Storm the prison guards).

8. Freedom. (Escape the prison).

Now, it's fit to acknowledge that these steps were HIGHLY DISCUSSED during Black Ops in their relation to zombies. Many people said it related to DLC names, everyone tried to find answers. The truth is - nothing ever really came from it. We didn't find an answer, and we still don't have one. But by jove, that doesn't mean we can't think.

Secure the Keys - this is a no brainer, and in fact... it's also usually the first step in Mob of the Dead. Getting the warden's keys are of utmost importance.

Ascend from Darkness - again, pretty much speaks for itself. Could refer to building the plane and getting off the island.

Rain Fire - this could be a reference to the hellhound heads. Feeding them is like rain to their fire, as it makes them go away - also rewarding you with the hell's redeemer.

Unleash the Horde - I am unsure of what this could mean asides from pertaining to getting to high rounds, or perhaps it is more of a metaphorical "unleash" in which the events of "Breaking the Cycle" are in fact "unleashing" the zombies from the current controller and re-directing the power.

Skewer the Winged Beast - this is the same step that made many give up back in Black Ops. We haven't encountered a winged beast (unless we're talking about Bioshock here ;), however - it could be a reference to using the plane 3 times (reaching). This one really stumps me.

Wield a Fist of Iron - Could relate to either hells retriever/redeemer or the death machine.

Raise Hell - Kill Weasel or Weasel kill's teammates.

Freedom - The Cycle is broken.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In Mob of the Dead, if you go to the top of the roof and look through a sniper rifle off of this corner:

You will see this:

Cheers to oM BlitZ for the photo

Now most people automatically assume it's Russman. But I dare say, can anyone think of a character with facial hair and bright eyes who's first appearance was AS a sniper - AND is mentioned in MotD?

In the end - you see what you believe.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Though the image that shows up through the sniper scope may not be anything related, I remembered reading this thread.

Reznov in Zombies?

As most of you know, in The Waw Der Riese loading screen, there is a finger on the map, most likely an index finger. Very easy to bypass is the fact that in campaign, Sgt. Reznov lost his index finger as well. So does that mean Reznov has a part in zombies? Nikoli often refers to "The Boss". Maybe instean of Stalin, like we all assumed, maybe it was his leading Sgt.?

Reznov lost his index finger in World at War & on the WaW Der Riese loading screen there is an index finger. However, the finger is not present on the Black ops version. I can't remember exactly how & when Reznov lost his finger, maybe this is just coincidence or, was Reznov part at the "Battle of Der Riese"? We all Should know that one of his missions/goals was to kill Steiner & he is definitely involved in Zombies.

PS - I'd still like to know how & why Woods got the "115" Tattoo on his arm. Just something to keep in mind.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sadly, I haven't had an "ah-ha" moment yet. I have no grand explanation for why this all is, and I'm currently working towards an answer. It's been in my head wondering why the Ak is named after Reznov, and then the steps to Vorukta hit me - and I felt the need to make a thread.

Regardless, If you are reading this - thanks for taking the time to read about Reznov and his connections. If you have anything to build on this, any suggestions, or anything I've missed - I give you the floor.

Oh, also - if anyone can dig up some old threads on Reznov that would be awesome too. Thanks for reading! :mrgreen:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

Great work and research done here, friendo! I thought the connection of Reznov to the Ak-47 was because that was the weapon he used throughout the Vorkuta mission, but I could be wrong. There are some very, very interesting relations between the face and his own. Even if it's a mere allusion, it's an interesting Easter Egg nonetheless.

+1 :)

Well... the guys that made Campaign/Story for Black Ops 2 are the ones that worked on most of Mob of the Dead. Maybe it's their way of having a little easter egg put in the game? I don't think Reznov is really relevant to the storyline we're going through now, to be honest.

I agree with this. I don't see Reznov being relevant at all to the zombies story line.

His first appearance was in World at War, where he was a sniper trying to assassinate a German general.
Maybe this could who we are seeing through the scope, the German general that he was sniping, that is why we can only see it through the rifle. I have no Idea why we would see this and how it'd be relevant but its just a thought! Good work by the way, amazing theory.

I for one could never see the resemblence to Russman, Reznov yes. It's almost plain as day. I think people are getting caught up in the FEAR RU(SS) thing so they see Russman in this jump scare. That was the scariest thing I've seen in zombie to date. Great job Treyarch on this map, by far the greatest of all time.

The only thing is see connected are the Reznov's Revenge AK-47, and how Vik wanted revenge agaist 3 traitors. Dragovitch. Kravchenko. Steiner. All must die! And, that Wealsel too, died in a famous prison, about an escape plan.

Reznov got his revenge through Mason, life after death.

Weasel got his revenge through purgatory, life after death.

Reznov died October 9, 1963 though.

Though the image that shows up through the sniper scope may not be anything related, I remembered reading this thread.

Reznov in Zombies?

As most of you know, in The Waw Der Riese loading screen, there is a finger on the map, most likely an index finger. Very easy to bypass is the fact that in campaign, Sgt. Reznov lost his index finger as well. So does that mean Reznov has a part in zombies? Nikoli often refers to "The Boss". Maybe instean of Stalin, like we all assumed, maybe it was his leading Sgt.?

Reznov lost his index finger in World at War & on the WaW Der Riese loading screen there is an index finger. However, the finger is not present on the Black ops version. I can't remember exactly how & when Reznov lost his finger, maybe this is just coincidence or, was Reznov part at the "Battle of Der Riese"? We all Should know that one of his missions/goals was to kill Steiner & he is definitely involved in Zombies.

PS - I'd still like to know how & why Woods got the "115" Tattoo on his arm. Just something to keep in mind.

Remember the Maverick Code?

I don't remember exactly the original code, but decided it said something like "Viktor Reznov is dead, or is he? You never saw the body." or something like that. Essentially it just hinted towards Reznov surviving vorkuta. The game tries to convince you that he's dead, but there is in fact no proof of that, and quite a few hints otherwise. As far as we know, Reznov is NOT dead.

Honestly I still think the jump scare looks more like Russ than Rez (though it certainly isn't the spittin' image of Russ anyway.) who knows.

Why can't the face just be a fun easter egg Treyarch decided to put in? Why does everything have to have direct connotations to the storyline?

Its not necessarily directly anything to do with the storyline but people are aloud to ask questions and theorize, also this thread has made a lot of really solid points.

Also treyarch has said and done things such as this. Then later on in a new dlc of game made by treyarch it comes true. Treyarch is one of those companies to throw in a puzzle for us to solve in spare time. Plus it's just for fun.

That is why everything shown on the map may have meaning behind it.

Three traitors,he?

In Reznov's life:Dragovich,Steiner,Kravchenko.

In Weasel's:Sal,Billy and Finn?

Maybe,The Weasel wanted revenge too?After all,he was an intelligent money handler,he can know more than we think,and the Reznov's Revenge thing maybe hint about that?

I don't know...

Three traitors,he?

In Reznov's life:Dragovich,Steiner,Kravchenko.

In Weasel's:Sal,Billy and Finn?

Maybe,The Weasel wanted revenge too?After all,he was an intelligent money handler,he can know more than we think,and the Reznov's Revenge thing maybe hint about that?

I don't know...

Valor pleases you, Kraum, so grant me one request, GRANT ME REVENGE! And if you do not listen, then to hell with you!! lol had to say that.

Who knows what TrollArc is going with this. I sure as hell on wheels don't, but I continue to speculate.

Has anyone tried breaking the cycle using Reznov's Revenge? It may lead to something.

I too, have wondered the same thing.

Maybe if someone kills the other three with Al, with Reznov's Revenge, maybe we'll get an end story to the PGTW EE. That'd be nice, including the fact of no one really knows what the hell happens afterwards. You lucky 360 folk should delve down into that possibility. :shock:

wow you make a thread, take a couple days off and BOOM. Buncha' crunch up in this (

I'm loving all of this introspection - both supportive and opposing. I need to pour through these comments a little more, and add some of this to the OP.

Thanks again for theorizin' with me! Back soon.

Has anyone tried breaking the cycle using Reznov's Revenge? It may lead to something.

Maybe if someone kills the other three with Al, with Reznov's Revenge, maybe we'll get an end story to the PGTW EE. That'd be nice, including the fact of no one really knows what the hell happens afterwards. You lucky 360 folk should delve down into that possibility. :shock:

THATS RACIST THATS RACIST THATS RACIST THATS RACIST THATS RACIST THATS RACIST THATS RACIST THATS RACIST THATS RACIST THATS RACIST THATS RACIST THATS RACIST THATS RACIST THATS RACIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lmao

THATS RACIST THATS RACIST THATS RACIST THATS RACIST THATS RACIST THATS RACIST THATS RACIST THATS RACIST THATS RACIST THATS RACIST THATS RACIST THATS RACIST THATS RACIST THATS RACIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lmao

Sir. You've started a war *puts on bad ass sunglasses* that you can't even quite possible finish.

Sir. You've started a war *puts on bad ass sunglasses* that you can't even quite possible finish.

LOL and who are you supposed to be? Jason Hudson Jr?? hahahahahaha