The definition of a "Wonder Weapon".

What's up guys.

Right now I'm currently playing TranZit and using the Jet Gun. Something came to mind which I want to discuss on this forum, so here we go: what is the definition of a "wonder weapon"?

The Jet Gun is a great example of a weapon that has been called a Wonder Weapon by some people, but others say it is not. I personally do not consider it a Wonder Weapon.

Most people seem to agree that the Ray Gun is a wonder weapon. And the Wunderwaffe, and the Scavenger, and the Shrink
Ray are also Wonder Weapons. But there are those weapons like the Jet Gun that people disagree about. Why?

The main thing that Wonder Weapons seem to share in common is the use of Element 115. This allows them to be much more effective than regular weaponry against zombies, and usually results in some unusual way of killing the zombies. But then this leads to the discussion of Pack-a-Punched weapons - these are imbued with Element 115 as well, but people don't call the Lamentation or the Afterburner a Wonder Weapon.

So, in light of this, I'm settling on a definition of sorts for Wonder Weapons:

"A Wonder Weapon is a special weapon in Zombies that makes use of Element 115 to kill Zombies in an unusual (and often unique) manner."

Does everyone think this is a satisfactory definition? Or does someone have a better definition? (inb4MMX)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always said the Jet Gun is a wonder weapon.

But it still sucks.

Literally.

There was a discussion a while back about the same thing, but I can't seem to find it. Oh well.

I think Wonder Weapons aren't just exclusive to including 115 now. I think with BO2, the definition and description seems to have laxed a bit, and become just a unique weapon that does big things/wonderous. Yeah the Sliquifer and Jet Gun are buildables, but I'd say they are still Wonder Weapons.

Treyarch stuffed up here though IMO, but they tried fixing that as the maps released.

Jet Gun wasn't PaPable, broke after use. Being Equipment was unique and nifty though, not taking up a slot (but this is basically why Mule Kick wasn't in TranZit).

Sliquifer not PaPable, but doesn't break, a regular gun, and becomes a box weapon.

Blundergat PaPable, already a box weapon. Closest to the BO1 Wonder Weapons.

Paralyser is basically a mixture of everything above but with it done right.

Staves are buildables, but acquiring the parts are more unique and upgradeable by other means.

Perhaps if the Jet Gun and Sliquifer were upgradable like the staves, they would be more better.

I've always wondered how there names came about though. Thrustodyne Aeronautics Model 23. Why so specific? And why Model 23? And the Sliquifer, you see it's silhouette with the weapons in Studio. Are these weapons original creations of the N4? Or are they actually Wonder Weapons, but these versions are just made of scraps/anything you can find? Perhaps the real versions of both look much cleaner and better than the ones we see in game?

• Administrators

Ironically enough Dahniska, MMX touched upon this subject almost an entire year ago in a topic awfully close to this one. 

If it's created with 115 in such a way that is considered a phenomenon beyond the realm of physics, I would consider it. But then wouldn't Pack-a-Punched weapon be classified as a "Wonder Weapon" with that definition? Take the Krauss Refribrillator for example - it's not a Wonder Weapon but revives people by shooting a ballistic knife at them.

I've always said the Jet Gun is a wonder weapon.

But it still sucks.

Literally.

There was a discussion a while back about the same thing, but I can't seem to find it. Oh well.

I think Wonder Weapons aren't just exclusive to including 115 now. I think with BO2, the definition and description seems to have laxed a bit, and become just a unique weapon that does big things/wonderous. Yeah the Sliquifer and Jet Gun are buildables, but I'd say they are still Wonder Weapons.

Treyarch stuffed up here though IMO, but they tried fixing that as the maps released.

Jet Gun wasn't PaPable, broke after use. Being Equipment was unique and nifty though, not taking up a slot (but this is basically why Mule Kick wasn't in TranZit).

Sliquifer not PaPable, but doesn't break, a regular gun, and becomes a box weapon.

Blundergat PaPable, already a box weapon. Closest to the BO1 Wonder Weapons.

Paralyser is basically a mixture of everything above but with it done right.

Staves are buildables, but acquiring the parts are more unique and upgradeable by other means.

Perhaps if the Jet Gun and Sliquifer were upgradable like the staves, they would be more better.

I've always wondered how there names came about though. Thrustodyne Aeronautics Model 23. Why so specific? And why Model 23? And the Sliquifer, you see it's silhouette with the weapons in Studio. Are these weapons original creations of the N4? Or are they actually Wonder Weapons, but these versions are just made of scraps/anything you can find? Perhaps the real versions of both look much cleaner and better than the ones we see in game?

Good points everyone.

I still think that the Jet Gun is no more of a wonder weapon than a Trample Steam.. I mean come on, both take an equipment slot, don't use Max Ammos, if broken are replaced by picking up another from a workbench and neither earns you points for its kills. But it is unique among buildables simply because when you get a kill with it, it actually counts as a kill for you.

Treyarch indeed seems to have gotten bit more vague with their idea of Wonder Weaponry, but I still think there should be some dividing lines between useful equipment and actual Wonder Weaponry. What about stuff like the Hell's Retriever? That doesn't seem like a Wonder Weapon either to me.

I do agree the Blundergat is the closest thing to a BO1 Wonder Weapon. And yeah, the very name of the Jet Gun suggests there were previous versions... made by who though, and for what?

The purple Sliquifier effect seems to be 115, so that would still seem a Wonder Weapon to me. As far as Studio, there are Ray Guns showing there too. I don't know if the Jet Gun or the Sliquifier are creations of the N4 - Marlton most likely would be the designer if so - but none of the N4 talk about the weapons as if they are their own, unlike how Richtofen can't get Maxis' name off his tongue when using the staffs. Of course, Treyarch leaves us with more and more questions at the end of it all.

InfestLithium, I imagine that the Krauss Refibrillator (ironically I'm using it RIGHT NOW in TranZit) shoots a weaponized version of a Syrette. Just a guess though.

Yeah, Wunderwaffe literally means Wonder Weapon.

It's a term still used today to describe badass cutting-edge weaponry.

For me, if the gun kicks ass and looks good - I call it a wonder weapon. It doesn't necessarly have to utilise Element 115.

Think Gersch Device / Matryoshka Dolls.

Weapons that you need to build like the Sliquifier and JetGun with spare parts are more like DIY "Wunder" Waffen.

You should add "blah blah one one five PRIOR to being upgraded via pack-a-punch."

I was part of an argument about this back before MotD. The general concensus (or rather what MMX said) was that they posess unrealistic properties through utilizing 115 or aetherial power prior to being upgraded. Pack-a-Punched. (Acid kit doesn't count because it's effectively a part of the gun.)

Other people have touched upon what I've said. Some of the posts I agree with, some not so much. Basically, this is what I use as the definition for a Wonder Weapon:

Won·der Wea ·pon  [vun-der thinsp.pngveh-punthinsp.png]
noun
A weapon that utilizes 115 or ethereal energy within its functionality prior to being introduced to the Pack-A-Punch.

Examples: Ray Gun, Monkey Bomb, Wunderwaffe DG-2, Thundergun, Winter's Howl, Matryoshka Dolls, Gersch Device, V-R11, Scavenger, 31-79 JGb215, Quantum Entanglement Device, Wave Gun, Sliquifier, Acid Gat, Golden Spork, H*ll's Retriever, Time Bomb, Paralyzer, Staff of Fire, Staff of Lightning, Staff of Wind, Staff of Ice, Beacon, One Inch Punch, and Ray Gun Mark II.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Alternative, flawed definitions:

A one-per-team weapon: Then the Death Machine, Ballistic Knife, and M2 Flamethrower are Wonder Weapons.

A weapon using 115: Then all Pack-A-Punched weapons are Wonder Weapons.

A zombies-exclusive weapon: Then the Spikemore and Zombie Shields are Wonder Weapons.

A weapon unique to a map: Then the AK47, Skorpion EVO, and SCAR-H are Wonder Weapons.

I'd argue that the golden spork and the hells retriever don't use 115, but I guess that's only due to intuition.

Mainly that stems from the fact that the map tells you 115 isn't at play. "Not this time", it is 666.

So I think it'd follow that at least those two highly supernatural weapons are just part of that game and not actually an acheivement of 115.

As fantastic as our wonderweapons are, they still have an element of science behind them.

The Hells Retriever and Golden Spork do not.

Giant dog heads consuming the souls and bodies of dead zombies, then awarding you with a very strange looking homing and returning tomahawk has almost no science element in it.

Likewise with the spork. You have to fetch it in afterlife, then with the retriever all the while hearing the laughter and shouts of our announcer, then you need to strangely watch the spoon stir a bathtub of blood before satisfying the announcer's need to see a mass amount of zombies be blown up and dissolved to bits in the showers, before you can then watch a strange hand ascend from under the surface of the blood to give you a golden clad spork, which seems to instantly kill the zombies until quite late for a melee weapon of any sort.

Both of those are far more supernatural than fantastical.

Likewise, are we sure the beacon requires 115 at all?

What about the punch and elemental punches? They don't seem to take any physical form that would allow for 115 to even be in play.

As usual, MegaAfroMan makes really good points.

The Retriever and Spork do seem to be supernatural in power and don't have any obvious use of 115 involved. In fact a lot of things Mob related seem to be like that.

One could argue that the air strikes are 115 related, though. Their use of the robot missiles (which are "made possible only because of Element 155" - Richtofen) and the very table you pick them up from (which has 115 tablets on it) indicate that they do use 115.

The One Inch Punch and its varients seem pretty mysterious and I don't consider them Wonder Weapons anymore than the Galvaknuckles, to be honest.

Think about how you get the One-Inch-Punch. you grab a ball of light that instantly teaches you kung-fu. That's clearly some kind of supernatural or aetherial effect, as it comes from a vril chest. I consider it a wonder weapon just because of how it acts as a melee weapon, even though technically it's a player enhancement / skill (hence the description "one inch punch perk.")

Also in regards to the spork and Retriever. I'm pretty sure the zombies on that map aren't reanimated because of 115, but because of lucifer's powers alone. That power acts as that map's substitute to 115 / aetherial / vril energy. So the weapons derived from that power on that map correspond to weapons derived from 115 on other maps. Plus it certainly falls under the category of supernatural.

I suppose you could make an argument against OIP, but it's a wonderful and weaponized skill so that's good enough for me.

Thats probably the best definition for it, but even then it doesn't cover the Sliquifier. We know what thats made out of since we collect the parts and put it together. So its no different than the trample steam or jet gun. But the developers referred to it as a wonder weapon before the map came out. So it seems like a Wonder Weapon is whatever Treyarch wants to make it. 

The op had a decent definition.

In reality wunderwaffe (wonder weapon) meant a weapon that was ahead of anything else. The Germans irl called the stg44 a wunderwaffe.

In game, i feel uniqueness gets it called that. But this line is blurred by the community.

I see why people call the ray gun a ww, it had been called such by Treyarch, but i consider it a regular gun since everyone can get one. While there may be a staff for everyone, each is unique. Everyone can use most buildables, but not everyone can have a jet gun or sliquifier (and to the one poster, how much more power could the pink shotgun have? That thing is super powerful).

Something powered by 115(or something similar) but(modern) man made. So...
-Ray Gun
-Mark Two
-Monkey Bomb
-Wunderwaffe
-Thunder Gun
-Winters howl
-Gersch Device
-Dolls
-VR-11
-Gbwhatever
-Zap Guns

-QED
-Sliquifier
-Time Bomb
-Paralyzer
-Acid Gat

Not wunder weapons(and why)
-Scavenger, its an explosive round sniper. that is all
-Jet Gun, Its a jet turbine...
-Blundergat, modified gun(acid gat is a wunder weapon however)
-Hell's retriever/redeemer, its not man made, some sort of magical/aetheriel/satanic device
-The staves, made by the ancients, not actually weapons. 
-G-strike thingy, its just a beacon to tell the giants where to attack. 

Scavenger - blast radius vaporizes zombies - 115

H*ll's Retriever - Forged in the Aether - ethereal

Staffs - Made by Maxis and Richtofen - 115

Beacons - Magic floating metal orb with legs =_= - 115/ethereal (Samantha gives it to you after all)

the staffs are not weapons though. the copy staves arguably are, but the originals are not. and i said in my definition man made and designed to be a weapon, which the hells retriever and original staves are not.