Origins' Easter Egg Ending Discussion

Ehjookayted

On the topic of a standalone game of zombies:

In waw, it was a little side game that got so popular that 1. Zombie maps were immediately considered and implemented in the dlc, and 2. The game was altered so you could play it without having to beat the campaign! They knew people wanted zombies to the point that they would rather not have to play through the actual games campaign just to get them. That's powerful.

Bo1: zombies are a big part of the game. The cod mp was a dismal failure: i was a cod forum regular since waw. From the time bo launched, it had 1 ravenous fan on their official site, 3 people who said bo mp was decent, and the rest of us called it the worst cod since cod 3. A year after mw2 came out, lots of people on your friends list played it. By christmas of the year bo came out, the only people playing it were zombie players (obviously people played the mp, but it basically tanked for a cod game). Each dlc brought the zombie players together and generated little interest in the mp cod. The forums had also died for cod mp by that same time. I am a cod player and a zombie player. Zombies definitely carried that game for Treyarch.

Bo2: both the mp and the zombies stepped up a little. This cod clearly got a much better reception and playtime.

But the point is this: zombies are obviously important and arguably a much stronger product than the Treyarch cods have been.

A standalone should be forthcoming unless in can't be unentangled from cod for some legal reason or another. In which case, well see it in cod in 1.25 years.

My opinion based on facts and observation.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

First of all, let me say I am so glad this site is back. This is the only place where there can be any meaningful discussion about BO2 zombies or zombie storyline in general at this point, 

Now, let me just say that I am / have been an avid zombie storyline follower / player since the days of w@w. Black Ops 2 in general, geared away from the story we had all grown to love and speculate about. SEEMINGLY ending the story with the "Button" easter egg in Buried. Either Maxis takes over and Richtofen is zombified. Or Richtofen takes over and Maxis is. well seemingly dead. NOW, that being said, Origins took EVERYTHING we knew about (or thought we knew about) zombies and made us reconsider. As disappointed as I am about how the story played out throughout BO2 in general, I still can only come to one conclusion about Origins storyline. That is, that it is a stand alone story much like MOTD. Difference being, of course, we are using our main characters we had all grown to love. 

There are a few examples that lead me to believe that Origins storyline is a stand a lone story. One in particular is the fact that Maxis head is chopped open and Richtofen is removing his brain in order to save it from zombification. Up until the opening sequence in Origins we had NEVER EVER heard anything of the sort. Not even a mention of Richtofen even saving Maxis life in any way, shape, or form. I think in all the radios and dialogue we got between the two that would have come up at some point prior to this map. Also, nobody recognizes who Samantha is. Either as a real person, (as in the daughter of Maxis) or as the announcer. They just recognize it is a little girl and she lets them know her name is Samantha. Maxis doesnt even believe he has a daughter in the audio logs in the map. These are just two examples, they are big ones though and would BLOW the old story to smithereens. There are so many other smaller examples it would take me all night to write but those two right there are almost PROOF that the story told in origins is stand a lone and has nothing to do with the original storyline. No alternate universe, no different dimension, no "god toy" as I read in another post. Just a stand a lone story..

Now, that bring me to my next point. What BO2 did to the storyline we had all grown to love was almost unforgivable. It answered NONE of the questions we, as a community, had or were left with at the end of BO1. All of theses suggestions at Aliens, or Vril, or the "war god", being behind the MPD and other locations / landmarks we had come across during the story. No clear cut answer to what happened to the O4 after the events of moon. I mean, to me, it was actually quite a slap in the face storyline wise. DON'T get me wrong, gameplay in general was a major upgrade from BO1. I enjoyed many of the new features such as buildables. I enjoyed playing grief for a time too. The storyline, especially in connection with what we had already learned was a spit in the face to the hard core followers who had been there from the start.Since the very first map Tranzit we all could have care less about the N4. All we cared about for the most part was the cliffhanger we were left with at the end of the Moon EE. Now, once it became clear we werent going to find that out (after months and months of searching any little clue) we still didnt have much to learn about the N4. One Tv and the discussions back and forth. Thats it. Same with Die Rise, none on MOTD, :a little on Buried. Personally I would really have enjoyed learning about the N4 getting into a new part of the story that left the old characters behind AFTER we found out what happened to all we knew on Moon. I dont think the N4 ever got a fair shot at becoming fan favorites because we were always looking ahead to get some closure on the previous storyline we had been fed. Looking back, the N4 story could have been really cool.

Anyway, sorry for this late night ramble. I just am let down storyline wise all together with BO2. I feel like Origins was one lasy kick to the nuts to all us long timers. Even IF the next Zombies anwers some questions, it will already be too late imo. Origins (I think) was a stand alone. The rest was just a let down,

• 3 months later...

Now that I've finally finished Origins and did the EE solo...I like the ending.

I dont think they could've done it any other way really.

It also follows how they've been telling the story all along. Leaving huge holes and discrepancies.

The quote about 'my father has a plan' ... Is just to keep you guessing FOREVER.

I don't believe there will be another Zombies DLC or game. You really think after all these years they would continue it? Origins was made as the last map to tell the story and tie things up. Why would they do that if there is more to come?

I don't believe there will be another Zombies DLC or game. You really think after all these years they would continue it? Origins was made as the last map to tell the story and tie things up. Why would they do that if there is more to come?

Well, the fact that Jimmy tweeted "Waiting makes the heart grow... BRAINS" is enough confirmation for me that there definitely IS going to be another zombie outing, then of course there is the massive revenue it generates also.

Then there is Benn Down from PTG stating there is going to be more. We cannot take his word as 100% guaranteed confirmation, but his track record has been decent. Either way, I am fully confident on there definitely being more zombies to come.

Well, the fact that Jimmy tweeted "Waiting makes the heart grow... BRAINS" is enough confirmation for me that there definitely IS going to be another zombie outing, then of course there is the massive revenue it generates also.

Then there is Benn Down from PTG stating there is going to be more. We cannot take his word as 100% guaranteed confirmation, but his track record has been decent. Either way, I am fully confident on there definitely being more zombies to come.

I really hope you're right. My gut says no still though.

...if anything, they left the N4 open for backstories etc...so thats the only thing I can see happening really.

I really hope you're right. My gut says no still though.

...if anything, they left the N4 open for backstories etc...so thats the only thing I can see happening really.

I just can't see them abandoning a game-mode that has proved to be hugely popular since it's birth. It generates far too much, and is the primary source of revenue for Treyarch's DLC. They would have to be really stupid to call time on it now.

It's as Swapping says...Infinity Ward have tried the same tactic with Extinction, and I hear Sledgehammer have their own alternative game-mode coming too. Zombies will only end when it stops bringing in money.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah the whole "my dad has a plan", "you'll get your turn tomorrow" thing kinda proves that there's more coming IMO anyway. Besides that Zombies is probably the most successful thing from COD yet. Quitting zombies and doing something else would be a terrible option business-wise. Not to mention it'd be quite a d**k move. Tbh, I was sorta happy to see that end cutscene. I was happy to know that more is coming(that's what I got from it anyway). And although I'm not an expert on the backstory, it doesn't exactly mean the storyline was completely made up. Perhaps only Origins was made up and the rest is real. Idk if that would contradict the story though. One thing in the scene that doesn't make sense is the celebrity group from CotD. But then again, it is possibly that someone could see into the future and know these things. Bottom line is that all we can do is speculate, and I'm sure Treyarch is reading a lot of theories people have and purposely disprove them, just to keep the unpredictability in COD. After all, people always complain about how every game is exactly the same. (With respect to zombies, seemingly the only mode that varies greatly.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah the whole "my dad has a plan", "you'll get your turn tomorrow" thing kinda proves that there's more coming IMO anyway.

Eddy's "turn" has already been seen. It was BO2. Origins is out of place chronologically in "reality". Basically BO:1(not WaW) from NDU to Moon is the game that Samantha played with Eddy and all the plot twists and storylines were the combination of Samantha and Eddy, telling each other a story by playing with their dolls. Origins would have happened next, perhaps leading to the argument in the cutscene. Eddy may have been confused after Moon and Origins is how Samantha explains it, "I'm going to tell you how all this really began."

The cutscene is the end of Samantha's turn, but when Eddy mentions the eyes being blue, this is meant to illustrate that the events of the BO:2 story happen off-camera following that cutscene. So, as far as I'm concerned, the story is wrapped. Either you helped RIchtofen or Maxis as the N4, but in either case the story arcs between the O4 and the N4 is over.

If we get zombies again, I don't want any of the same characters (possibly some cameos). I want Treyarch to start anew and give us something we can really sink our teeth into instead of just nibbling at. No matter all the quality theories here, nothing can satisfy me fully as far as a linear story should. I think that's because Treyarch didn't really have a story in mind at first, just a cool idea with badass characters (the O4). The storyline was secondary and just kinda threw more cool stuff at us, but never really explained it in detail. When everyone started getting into the story, Treyarch scrambled to connect dots and this is the best they could do. I applaud them for it, because this ending neatly ties it up and anymore attempts at hashing this out will only lead to a bigger mess. Leave this saga ended, Treyarch...Give us another story and this time plan it out first :P

I Wish I could Pass The EE  :o . I Was Right At The Ending Of The EE But The  :angry: It Pardon My French Man But He Fucking Killed ME  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry: So Pissed I Almost Broke My Tv  :mellow:.

Excuse Me But  Fucking Panzer 

Open New Tab And Go To callofduty.wikia.com/wiki/Panzer  Soldat

Yeah the whole "my dad has a plan", "you'll get your turn tomorrow" thing kinda proves that there's more coming IMO anyway.

Eddy's "turn" has already been seen. It was BO2. Origins is out of place chronologically in "reality". Basically BO:1(not WaW) from NDU to Moon is the game that Samantha played with Eddy and all the plot twists and storylines were the combination of Samantha and Eddy, telling each other a story by playing with their dolls. Origins would have happened next, perhaps leading to the argument in the cutscene. Eddy may have been confused after Moon and Origins is how Samantha explains it, "I'm going to tell you how all this really began."

The cutscene is the end of Samantha's turn, but when Eddy mentions the eyes being blue, this is meant to illustrate that the events of the BO:2 story happen off-camera following that cutscene. So, as far as I'm concerned, the story is wrapped. Either you helped RIchtofen or Maxis as the N4, but in either case the story arcs between the O4 and the N4 is over.

If we get zombies again, I don't want any of the same characters (possibly some cameos). I want Treyarch to start anew and give us something we can really sink our teeth into instead of just nibbling at. No matter all the quality theories here, nothing can satisfy me fully as far as a linear story should. I think that's because Treyarch didn't really have a story in mind at first, just a cool idea with badass characters (the O4). The storyline was secondary and just kinda threw more cool stuff at us, but never really explained it in detail. When everyone started getting into the story, Treyarch scrambled to connect dots and this is the best they could do. I applaud them for it, because this ending neatly ties it up and anymore attempts at hashing this out will only lead to a bigger mess. Leave this saga ended, Treyarch...Give us another story and this time plan it out first :P

I like your thinking. So i guess you could say that the entire storyline is basically two little kids fighting over what should happen next and how it should all go down. Interesting. However, as far as a COMPLETELY new storyline happening, I doubt it. The way Sam said her dad has a plan really suggests more to come of the original story(even though there isn't really a real story)

• 1 month later...

I believe, that since the map name is "Origins" that this is obviously the beginning of zombies, we find the O4 in Normandy battling the forces of the undead, and trying to save "Samantha" from Agartha. Tho my theory may seem far fetched, this could all be trickery from Samantha, due to the fact she was trapped in Agartha......she was obviously trapped in their for a reason. That reason being that she is evil. When Maxis and his crew started on excavation site 64, the awakened an evil, Samantha, and since Maxis awakened Samantha, she kept him in mind. Made up a lies to tell the O4, so she would be released. If you note, Richtofen doesn't seem to buy the story of hers. In the ending cutscene, we see that Samantha has possessed the daughter of Maxis, whose brain was transplanted into a newer host due to his past zombification. Funny how Samantha chose to stay close to maxis? I think not! She knew that he was very prominent, and could manipulate him to get exactly what she wanted, which was revenge for being trapped in Agartha for so long. So I believe that the ending cutscene is in or on the outskirts of the Der Riese facility, and our story which started in W@W is about to begin.