Console wars? what's your favorite

PC...well, I know you can do virtually anything on it but it becomes a very, very expensive investment over time.

New games on console cost 59.99$ on Europe they will be even more. New games on PC cost usually at least 10-15$ less. Now you can count how many new games you buy per year and how much you will save on that during the console generation.

Then we come to sales! SALES SALES SALES. You will get TON of year or two old AAA games with so cheap price it will almost feel like robbing!

New PC games cost the same as new console games. I have no idea where you got the idea that PC games cost less initially.

As for the sales argument, that's great, but most of the games I would buy from sales would be recommendations that I don't actually care much about. I'd rather get a few games that look interesting and care about rather than have many extras that interest me very little. Also, I personally usually get the games I want closer to launch, so sales are usually out of the question. Really it's not much different. I'd still say PC is far more expensive.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New PC games cost the same as new console games. I have no idea where you got the idea that PC games cost less initially.

This is simply not true and something I hear way too often from people who don't game on PC (not saying you are one of those).

I don't know where you buy your games but I can give you 10 websites right now that offer Watch_Dogs for $46, Battlefield 4 for $30, Titan Fall for $37 and CoD Ghost for $30. All pre-order or special editions.

Unless you buy CoD games on steam or pre-order new games at your local (online) store, you can get PC games for far cheaper than their console varients, no matter how new they are.

I've been on console and PC for years and never ever have I paid the same price for any of my PC games as for my console games.

The whole PC gaming is more expensive claim is wrong these days. Lets go 8 years back and it was the case but not anymore!

That's a very large gap in that event. By that time, you'd just obtain a new console upgrade - just as you would install better drivers or graphics cards or hardware for your PC rig. You can't lay down the argument that a PC is a good investment over X years because that statement holds true to any given scenario. And what statistic or you basing your value over the 9 years for membership costs via Xbox Live? Surely you're not taking into consideration how cheap you can get annual memberships for versus that typical $60/year.

Over time, you will need to upgrade your PC gaming-wise. What you pay for consistent upgrades, us console members pay for games/memberships. I'm not here to bash PC, as I said before: each to their own. What I am saying, however, is that you're trying to compare a beat-up Chevy with costly modifications to a new sleek Challenger or Charger that will eventually be replaced with a span of 10 years or so. I've seen PC upgrade costs. In one upgrade for you guys, I could go out and buy around 10 games or more if I'm not being picky on what I'm buying. By the end of it all, we pay around the same range except PC is more expensive rig-wise. My computer served me trough the last generation and I didn't upgrade nothing on it, not a single part. As for drives they are all free.

That is what I'm basing my claim that PC gaming is not anymore super expensive, sure you can burn money every 2-3 years of you want max the most demanding games, but there is no really a reason for it.

Well I don't know if you can buy LIVE for more than year but PS+ is that 60$/year.

@zombieofthehead Most of the retailers sell new PC games here 10€ or more cheaper than the console counterparts. Steam is most of the time not the place to buy new games.

I'm not dissing consoles here (I have PS4) but just the myth that I hear every so often:"You have to upgrade every two years".

• 4 weeks later...

Don't really wanna pick a side. Either way, I'm shelling out cash to companies who'll happily take my cash and then throw the playerbases' opinions in the trash. Little weird to worship any of the big 4 when the true 'winner' is them.

I favor a PC, but that's just me.

• 3 months later...

Playstation, then Nintendo, then Microsoft/pc gaming.

It might be only me, but every time I had an xbox (or xbox360) they couldn't handle the hours of gameplay I would put in at one time, and would have issues displaying the graphics. So I don't buy them anymore but I enjoy titan fall every once in awhile at a friends.

cartman2.jpg

I LIKE the 360, but come 2015 it's going to be a somewhat irrelevant console. 

People were groping about the Xbone not having any innovations, but in realty, what device today can read your voice to change the channel? Furthermore the PS4 only includes a VERY finicky touch pad, and not much more besides that. It comes down to your profession of which games come out for which, and if you want a touch screen or voice control. 

I used to like the Wii, but the Wii U is…. Horrible looking…. 

The 3ds I actually bought, but I refused to play any game on it after paper mario sticker star… I loved the Paper mario series and now I wish it'd put a barbed wire fence sticker on it's ass. 

PlayStation all the way.

In terms of gaming experience PS is quite on par with Xbox. A few differences that stand out.

PSN messaging system and GUI is more structured and organized. Obviously online gaming is cheaper and easier. Bluetooth system on accessories are more common and easier to find.

Xbox messaging is a mess, but the party chat is a plus. Obviously more features but require membership for their online services. Different harddrive systems and wireless headset were nightmare-ish for me. No need to be this complex for simple gaming.

Unless PlayStation becomes obsolete, I would always rank it over Xbox.

Party chat and online/connectivity reliability are the 2 reasons i will always go with Xbox.  the fact that the controller is much much better on xbox is just an added bonus

i mean i cannot even imagine not having party chat. that is exclusively what my friends and i use!

• 2 weeks later...

cartman2.jpg

I LIKE the 360, but come 2015 it's going to be a somewhat irrelevant console. 

People were groping about the Xbone not having any innovations, but in realty, what device today can read your voice to change the channel? Furthermore the PS4 only includes a VERY finicky touch pad, and not much more besides that. It comes down to your profession of which games come out for which, and if you want a touch screen or voice control. 

I used to like the Wii, but the Wii U is…. Horrible looking…. 

The 3ds I actually bought, but I refused to play any game on it after paper mario sticker star… I loved the Paper mario series and now I wish it'd put a barbed wire fence sticker on it's ass. 

The ps4's touchpad is next to perfect, perhaps your information was based on a defective controller. And do you really judge a console on how it looks? Not a real reason to not like something but I guess everyone thinks different.

I strongly recommend anyone with a X1 or a PS4 get the WiiU to compliment your other console. Not much of a point in owning a ps4 and X1 right now, so grab you a Nintendo and flesh out your collection, I did and am more than happy.

• 4 weeks later...

See it's this type of thinking that's going to ruin the next game. We've established that if the XBONE and PS4 don't sell enough, there's a pretty good chance they'll have to port the game back to the 360/PS3. That is HIGHY unwanted. ESPECIALLY with the new 3 year wait cycle. The more XBONE sales the BETTER. 

The WIi U on the other hand, yes I did base my mood towards the device off of how the bulky, 2nd screen controller works. It completely strays away from the idea of motion control. If they wanted that, they could have just made the WII UP: Wii Ultimate portable: Large blocky handheld device to carry with you to play wii games. 

On the other hand, the fact it still operates with gamecube games is great, backwards compatibility over two consoles? Nice. 
Actually it really is more innovative then the XBONE or PS4, but it's simple lack of worthy games lowers it's usefulness (Super mario 3-d Cat world is not worth it) … I might get one for christmas when the new smash bros comes out for it though, as ALL console-smashers are INSTANT classics… 

Yea I'm getting smash the day it releases, little mac is going to piss so many people off...

I just have to say that the WiiU so far has the best browser, more useful for watching videos that are on not so popular players(gorriavid, sockshare players ect) and to be honest there isn't a whole lot of good games out, but there aren't a whole lot of games for any console right now, even though the WiiU has quite a few months on the other new consoles.

If I were trying to sell someone on the WiiU I would have to first repeat myself and say, there is little point in having a xbox and playstation because of the lack of exclusives, and that the WiiU still focuses on classic style of gaming, and to anyone who is a classic gamer (NES, SNES) they can appreciate the WiiU. It's really underrated system but by this time next year I guarantee people's idea of the console will change for the better.

Little mac is going to piss so many people off.... B)

You said that twice… 

Also, silly tattoo! People don't just open their eyes! If that was the case war would be obsolete and we'd live in a peaceful society! 

Also, is it true one can watch a movie on the WII U's tablet while a regular TV show plays on the Television? Because I feel that would be SUPER helpful when my sister says: STOP PLAYING ZOMBIES I WANA WATCH NEMO! 

• 4 months later...