Letters from the Field - Photos & Videos from Pre-Origins

GRILL

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe "the giant" is simply a failed experiment to make super soldiers at Der Riese. Considering we're talking about a giant metal man, I assume this giant robot somehow escaped from 935's grasp.

On topic of prequel: I don't think it's happening. Treyarch probably know we want something that gives us a clue as to what will happen in the next game like Der Riese and Moon. It would be nice to get a prequel map but not for the last one. We also need the last map to explain the result of MotD. Also I hope it's not a prequel.

I believe "the giant" is simply a failed experiment to make super soldiers at Der Riese. Considering we're talking about a giant metal man, I assume this giant robot somehow escaped from 935's grasp.

On topic of prequel: I don't think it's happening. Treyarch probably know we want something that gives us a clue as to what will happen in the next game like Der Riese and Moon. It would be nice to get a prequel map but not for the last one. We also need the last map to explain the result of MotD. Also I hope it's not a prequel.

Exactly the LAST map can not be a prequel.... The first map, second map, third map or fourth map can be a prequel in the next game, heck, if there are two maps released in the final dlc there can be a prequel, as long as there IS a continuation...

But you cant end a season with a flashback.... Not even lost can do that...

As for MOTD that does have relative closure already, and it could go either way if MOTD changes anything...

Something to note is: While richtofen is in a zombie's body he states: "No this can NOT go on forever! There must be some way to break the cycle!" Maybe he gets lessons from Arlington....

If I had to guess, if we did maxis's Easter egg we'll have to fallow richtofen in the final map... And vice-versa for richtofen...

Like Jenga, we build up the power of maxis or richtofen, but just before they can enact their ultimate goal, we pull the block out from under them and watch them crumble.... For those who don't know, Jenga towers are compleatly evil...

It would be cool to receive instructions from a richtofen zombie, and some form of maxis... Give a whole new meaning to "save a zombie!"

Also: for the millions who didn't do the Easter eggs: You can't do the full Easter egg... It's that simple... Just like in moon... There's likely a point you can get to but you can't progress any further without buying at LEAST another 2 dlcs... Just like in BO1... It won't effect actual gameplay, (other then maxis being the anouncer and whatever richtofen will do)... But it does limit you to half the Easter egg...

That will be our new wonder weapon I think, its Mauser C96 that Maxis has further developed.

I kind of think so as well.

The "CXS" is the most intriguing part for me. Mocking me made a good point:

In roman numerals: Cxs is 110.5....

so a gun perhaps infused with 115?

CXS could also be an abbreviation for "Coherent X-ray Scattering" - a scientific coined term.

Either way, we know that Maxis worked for Mauser. Mauser was a real German arms company founded in the 1800's.

Also: for the millions who didn't do the Easter eggs: You can't do the full Easter egg... It's that simple... Just like in moon... There's likely a point you can get to but you can't progress any further without buying at LEAST another 2 dlcs... Just like in BO1... It won't effect actual gameplay, (other then maxis being the anouncer and whatever richtofen will do)... But it does limit you to half the Easter egg...

I think you are pretty close on this. On Moon, as long as ONE person had done each egg, someone (Richtofen player) would have the Vril device (golden rod). I think that would be good for this one too, that way people who haven't worked hard on these other ones can just jump into any old game and do the final egg.

Slow down, guys. These "Letters from the Field" extend the canon in anticipation for DLC4, but why do you all expect that they describe the next map? Treat these letters independently until we have complete confirmation.

Now, let's get back on-topic. This is an alternate universe. These are the known differences: the O4 are going to meet during WWI instead of WWII, and 935's operations in Breslau and Griffin Station are now being performed before its conception and in German-occupied Northern France. We know that there is testing with 115 by an unknown organization (935, Illuminati, Germany, etc), that organization has made technology with or without 115 that appears like lights in the sky and metal men, Richtofen is leading the 115 excavation, and Maxis has obtained a pistol two years prior to the other letters.

Speculation: The first letter is Richtofen writing in third-person (like he sometimes speaks). Element 115 is affecting Maxis's sanity, and the man now plans to assassinate Richtofen with his Mauser from a distance (attachment scope). If any of this is related to the story, the last map might be the outcome of this switcharoo alternate universe.

Ok, so I was thinking about it today, and I've gathered a theory of my own... Unrealistic perhaps, and it's a little crazy but would be very interesting...

In one of the letters, the writer mentions "strange lights in the sky... a mysterious plague... giant metal men...". The "giant metal men" is what seems to be confusing people, but then I thought, well, what would an Apollo spacesuit look like to people in 1917...

Basically, Dempsey, Nikolai, Takeo, and Samtofen made their escape from the moon the way we all thought they would, using the MDT. The thing with the MDT is, you never know where you're going to end up, or even when.

The teleporter took them to German-occupied France in 1917, where a group of German scientists, featuring a young Doctor Richtofen and Doctor Maxis, was doing experiments with a mysterious new element they had discovered known as element 115. Also sent to check out the site were a young Tank Dempsey, Nikolai Belinski, and Takeo Masaki. You all see what I'm getting at...

Some say this map will be a continuation. Others say it will be a prequel. But it may very well be both! If this theory is correct (which, by the way, I want a special medal if it is) it will see the future crew continuing their struggle with the zombies while showing in real time the events of the past. It would be a very clever move on Treyarch's part.

There are many questions that come up with this theory - do the past characters get captured here, who's controlling the zombies, etc. Like I said, this is just Dunbar's crazy crazy theory. This is more of a "I thought of this cool thing earlier and wanted to share" rather than a "this is definitely what's gonna happen" :lol:

But that does not solve the issue of the two endings....

What people aren't realizing is that THIS is the LAST map of BO2, there can not be two separate endings... You can not let both maxis and Richtofen run in different ways now... If you did what would Black ops 3's map be like? Two separate scientist ruling the aether? It can't be done... Not at trayarch's expense...

The last map MUST take place in present day... Not 1917... Otherwise Richtofen and maxis can not end the same, and there can be no more continuation....

I believe we are receiving these note to tell the story of how each character got where they are.... Then almost 100 years later, (or 50 if you think moon happens in the 60s), they return...

Tank and Nikolai recover their memory's, takeo is awesome, we end up having a common ending where everything that has happened ends the same way....

The last map MUST take place in present day... Not 1917... Otherwise Richtofen and maxis can not end the same, and there can be no more continuation....

I have a feeling the whole Maxis vs. Richtofen arc ended with Buried. The game resets all Side Quest progress after you hit the button. It doesn't save it. Obviously, this map will have nothing to do with our current story arc.

I have a feeling the whole Maxis vs. Richtofen arc ended with Buried. The game resets all Side Quest progress after you hit the button. It doesn't save it. Obviously, this map will have nothing to do with our current story arc.

I have heard people say that buried did not give proper closure to the N4 and the Ric/maxis story but personally I would be happy if they had buried as the final map and either maxis or ric gaining full power was the cliffhanger for the next game, the N4 don't exactly get full closure but neither did the O4 on moon.

but the problem with that is buried was not the final DLC, I feel like ending with a flash-back map could not give a proper end to zombies before the next game, no matter what twist or shock is uncovered from the past, how can that leave a huge mystery for the next game if we know how the future turns out?

unless the EE causes you to travel through time to "Present day", and we see maxis/ric preform some big final act setting up the next game, I dunno how I would feel about a final DLC set back in time, I would rather have the O4 return (Even just for a COTD style EE where we still play as the N4, I just really wanna see what happened to them before another years wait) for a map set after the events of buried, especially after the Samantha's lullaby playing after the final EE in buried.

I did consider the possibility of the two endings and honestly, with Easter Egg progress being reset when the button is pressed, I must admit I am at a loss to explain how they would do this map story-wise.

People have said that the controller of the zombies in the maps could be dependent on which Easter Eggs you did, but there are many who don't bother. Hell, even I haven't finished them all (damn that four-player requirement).

I guess, with my theory, we'd assume that the zombie controller has the ability to travel through time. Not crazy, Samantha followed the crew to the future in CotD, did she not? So, if the map takes place in 1917 France with the O3 and Samtofen like I theorized, and the players haven't done the Easter Eggs, the controller of the zombies could be Richtofen, but no major Easter Eggs would be possible (he wouldn't have the "full control" the N4 granted him). If they have done Richtofen's side, they could do an Easter Egg based on that (perhaps something similar to the Original Characters Trapped egg in CotD, but with the O3 + Sam helping the N4), or if they've done Maxis's side then Maxis would be the controller and there would be an egg based on that.

I'm just shooting in the dark here, I really hope we get a trailer soon.

Personally, I think that this map will either be in Paris, Agartha, or it will begin at Der Riese, and when we use teleporters, it will take us through all the BO1 maps, until we get to one big map.

It would be better if they done this in an intro. I don't think it would be fun to go through a ton of maps until the last one.

Personally, I think that this map will either be in Paris, Agartha, or it will begin at Der Riese, and when we use teleporters, it will take us through all the BO1 maps, until we get to one big map.

It would be better if they done this in an intro. I don't think it would be fun to go through a ton of maps until the last one.

Agreed, unless you just had to spend one round in each one, or even just a quick screenshot of the maps while teleporting.

That is more likely for replay-ability: If the maps stayed lit blue you couldn't do richtofen's side again without doing maxis's side first... Meaning you would have to do twice the amount of work to get permanent fire-sale and mule kick+ again....