Letters from the Field - Photos & Videos from Pre-Origins

GRILL

Everything is in chronological order, please enjoy

:mrgreen:

------ORIGINS Enlistment Posters-------

Post Xbox DLC Release

Enlist Now! The world isn't going to save itself from Zombies.

Heroes Wanted...because you can never have too much help when it comes to defeating the zombie horde.

We need you!

------ORIGINS/Apocalypse GAME-PLAY VIDEO!-------

8/26

cXpR-aft46A

Link for Mobile: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXpR-aft46A

------Letters from the Field - Richtofen's 2nd Letter & Action Pose-------

8/23

May 13 1918

The journal of Pablo Marinus has been a most valuable source of information... We now stand at the edge of a brave new world. Our survey of the site has led us to believe that this location may hold the largest single source of 115 yet discovered. We have been authorized to begin work immediately...

Maxis has become obsessed, he neglects the true focus of our mission and instead chases legends and myths. I fear that the girl's influence may have irrevocably poisoned his mind. It is with considerable regret that I must report his current mental instability to group 935's leaders...

- Richtofen

Larger Photo

"Our survey of the site has led us to believe that this location may hold the largest single source of 115 yet discovered."

- Richtofen

Larger Photo

------Letters from the Field - Origins: Final Key Art-------

8/22

art by Alex Ross

FB Post

Drafts leading up to final poster

------Letters from the Field - Tank's 2nd Letter & Action Pose--------------

8/21

April 14, 1918

After far too long waiting on the sidelines, we finally got our first taste of combat. Our actions at Belleau Wood seem to have brought their Spring Offensive to a grinding halt. We even heard talk that Fritz has nicknamed us the Devil Dogs', following the all round ass kicking they took... and that's fine by me.

We intercepted communications suggesting that we're not the only nation to learn of the enemy's plans. Scuttlebutt is that the Russians & Japanese are looking to grab a slice of the action. Things are going to get interesting

- Dempsey

Larger Picture

"After far too long of waiting on the sidelines, we finally got our first taste of combat."

- Dempsey

Larger Picture

------Letters from the Field - Nikolai's 2nd Letter & Action Pose--------------

8/20

February 23, 1918

Despite my abdication, my country remains gripped by civil war. Reds and whites battle for power as I am forced to watch helplessly from afar. Despite the March treaty, many among us do not expect lasting peace...

Our memories will not allow us to forget the tens of thousands of souls lost at Tannenberg...

This war remains a threat to all our futures...

The people of France share my hatred and contempt for the ----- (Reich?). They have been very kind to me on my journeys; offering me food, shelter and other most worldly comforts. It is a great relief that even amongst the madness of war, I may still find moments of joy in the arms of a good woman...

-Nikolai

Larger picture

This war remains a threat to all our futures.

- Nikolai

Larger picture

------ORIGINS Cinematic Intro-----------------------------

8/20

TS701bMxmSI

link for mobile: http://youtu.be/TS701bMxmSI

Northern France - 1918

It began long ago, on the battlefields of the Great War. Two German scientists sought to harness dark and mysterious forces... buried for centuries. They believed their discoveries would assure Germany's ultimate victory - but they could never have imagined just what else their research would unearth.

... my name's Samantha, I'm going to tell you how all this really began...

------Various ORIGINS pictures (3 today as of Noon MST)-----------------------------

8/19

"I am haunted by twisted dreams that seem to grow increasingly vivd with each passing night." - Takeo

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

Tomorrow, we'll share the Origins intro cinematic w/ A7X's "Shepherd of Fire" track. Stay tuned.

https://twitter.com/Treyarch/status/369505360307965952

"While their nations wage war, they must unite against a common enemy. This week, Treyarch unveils the opening cinematic of Origins, part of Black Ops 2 Apocalypse coming August 27, first on Xbox Live."

Full size picture link

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 0310_o.jpg

------Letters from the Field - Takeo's 2nd letter--------------------------------------

8/15

March 2, 1918

My leadership & victory at the battle of M----- (Muken/Mukden) has been brought to the attention of the Emperor himself. I have been instructed to meet with him on a matter of great importance to our Nation.

Perhaps the Emperor recognizes the continued importance of the Samurai traditions, even in these times of great change...

Though I cannot explain why, every step I take towards my target brings with it a growing sense of dread.

I am haunted by twisted dreams that seem to grow increasingly vivid with each passing night. Perhaps the spirits of my ancestors seek to warn me of a dark, uncertain future...

Takeo

------Apocalypse / "ORIGINS" DLC Information------------------

8/09

gId6lQsCvYs

link for mobile: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gId6lQsCvYs

------Apocalypse / "ORIGINS" Poster-----------------------------------------------

8/08

------"ORIGINS" Press Release Text-----------------------------------------------

8/08

Thanks YourMapper for providing the full quote!

In addition to the four maps, Apocalypse also reveals Origins, the most horrifying and imaginative Zombies experience to date. Players will be deployed to Dieselpunk-stylized World War I-era France where they will encounter the return of the four original heroes from the very first Zombies map, Tank, Nikolai, Takeo, and Rictofen, as well as hordes of zombies that have overrun trenches and fields, as well as the ruins of a mysterious and ancient location.

Unleashed after the Germans unearthed the mysterious “Element 115,” this next chapter in the Zombies legacy will explore the saga’s origins as players reunite with an unlikely band of soldiers that come together to defeat the greatest evil the world has ever seen, using a period-specific arsenal that includes Wonder Weapons that harness supernatural powers, a diesel-drone and Mark IV tank, as well a new perk machine and power-ups – and that’s just the start. Players will need all the help they can get to succeed in defeating the undead, as well as evading an unprecedented 1,000-foot tall robot abomination. In this stylized undead adventure, they’ll need every advantage if they have any hope of surviving one of Treyarch’s deepest Zombies experiences to date.

Link: http://www.sys-con.com/node/2754728

------Letters from the Field - Zombie Head Picture----------------------------

8/07

------"ORIGINS" Reveal / Info-----------------------------------------------

8/07

The ‪#‎LettersFromTheField‬ photo album is about to get a little more interesting…

VB_9esQucmw

Mobile Link: http://youtu.be/VB_9esQucmw

------"...And an End..."-----------------------------------------------

8/06

------"Every Story Has a Beginning..."-----------------------------------------------

8/06

https://vine.co/v/hbF5W35QvBx

------Periodic Arrangement of the Elements & Mauser Prototype---------

8/02 - 8/05

Element 115 = Dv

here is a periodic table of the elements circa 1917 for real

source - http://geochristian.wordpress.com/2009/ ... able-1924/

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Mauser (prototype CXS) - Maxis Jan. 5, 1915

Maxis

scale: 11' 7"

weight: 1,320g

code: m1916cxs

------Handwritten "Letters from the Field"-----------------------------------------------

7/30 - 7/31

source

"September 22nd, 1917

When we began the site excavation, our group could not have predicted the dark path down which our work would lead us.

The doctor remains both adament (SIC) and optomistic (SIC) that the potential applications for the new found element are worth the associated risks. I concur with the sentiment, but feel increasingly anxious as to the changes I am seeing in my oldest friend..."

Confirmation of 1917 date:

Spelling Errors:

"adament" - correct spelling: adamant (dictionary link)

"optomistic" - correct spelling: optimistic (dictionary link)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7/30 Edit: NEW NOTE

"October 6th - 1917

The emperor grows concerned that the barbarians drive for mechanization may soon yield weapons more devastating than the world has ever known.

I am honored to act as his trusted agent and will insure that any such weapons are secured for the benefit of Japan..."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7/31 edit: NEW notes

"November 19th, 1917

It seems beyond doubt that Fritz is up to no good. Air reconnaissance suggests prototype armored weaponry is being tested in Northern France. Scuttlebutt reads like the ramblings of a mad man, strange lights in the sky... a mysterious plague... even giant metal men.

I'll be at the site within the week to the learn the truth with my own eyes..."

Origins of Fritz Nickname:

Fritz originated as a German nickname for Friedrich, or Frederick (der alte Fritz was a nickname for King Frederick II of Prussia and Frederick III, German Emperor), as well as for similar names including Fridolin. Fritz was also a name given to German troops by the British and others in the first and second world wars, equivalent to Tommy, as the British troops were called by German and other troops.[1] Other common bases for which the name Fritz was used include the surnames Fritsche, Fritzsche, Fritsch, and Frisch(e).

source

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 10th - 1917

It appears my current exile from the motherland may --- -----. I have received orders to undertake a vital mission in Northern France.

Reports from the area suggest the Kaiser's war machine may be gearing up to unleash something unlike anything we have seen before...

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dated 1917 ( or 1914? ). At least now we have an idea for when G935 started messing with 115 and just how long Richtofen and Maxis have known each other from the "old friend" part at the end. However it doesn't add up with the rest of our story. What possible changes? Richtofen started going mad after touching the MPD and that was in the 40's. Maybe E115 affected much beforehand yet no one else?

I also have the feeling Maxis wrote this.

Dated 1917 ( or 1914? ). At least now we have an idea for when G935 started messing with 115 and just how long Richtofen and Maxis have known each other from the "old friend" part at the end. However it doesn't add up with the rest of our story. What possible changes? Richtofen started going mad after touching the MPD and that was in the 40's. Maybe E115 affected much beforehand yet no one else?

it's 1917

and IDK about Maxis. Does he strike you as an individual who would make spelling mistakes?

it's 1917

and IDK about Maxis. Does he strike you as an individual who would make spelling mistakes?

Maybe in his haste. I mean we all know what happened on Moon.

In all seriousness though, I'm not entirely positive it's Maxis. He refers to the doctor ( most likely richtofen ) as an old friend and speaks as though he is the leader of this group. While no names are directly said I feel this is Maxis writing in his personal diary about Group 935's discovery of E115 and noticing it's changes to his friend Doctor Richtofen. We know that they did bicker before the events of Der Riese and Richtofen was going behind his back. It could be something different entirely though and I'm probably wrong on 2-3 things.

it's 1917

Maybe the spelling mistakes are a hint? or code? or something?

Is it bad that I didn't see a single spelling mistake myself until you guys pointed it out? This is probably why I never entered spelling competitions :lol:

edit, I just quoted your source thing and google chrome didn't pick up any spelling errors. Are you sure there are spelling errors?

O and these remind me of the journal pages that we see when starting up the zombies main menu.

it's 1917

Maybe he was excited? But I don't think Maxis wrote this. He would have called him "Edward" or "Richtofen". Then again this is in 1917, and maybe they just met. But that leaves the question of who is the "old friend".

This is what I've been thinking. Obviously its happening in 1917 Pre-Storyline so if this is about the new map if it is happening in this time frame it won't feature the Fab 4, we know that Element 115 was first "found" on Earth after the Tunguska event in 1908. Now the Experiments with Element 115 that we know of didn't begin until the late 1930's-40's. So if this is indeed talking about the date will be return to a Mob of the Dead type timeline? Could we indeed be playing in the playable character's "hell" we might even be playing in what everyone thinks Argatha! As it is the gateway to the Aether it has the ability to travel through time and space, if we have the Fab 4 return perhaps as they made it to Argatha they found the gateway themselves and were transported back in time? I dunno I plan on doing alot of research on this note.

May i say that "the doctor" does not necessarily mean Richtofen. It could be Maxis, in which case it could be Sophia, schuster. Anyone.

I don't think Richtofen had any close friends

The thing is whoever it was it has to be someone who knew them pre-storyline and worked with them in Group 935, as we all remember once your in G935 you had no contact with friends or family outside of the facility.

Is anyone, or does anyone have access to a handwriting analyst.

To me the curls on the writing show that the person who wrote it is of the higher class. The emphasis on letters like the top of the O is commen in feminine people, whether that be a woman or a feminine man I don't know.

The angling of the words, the spelling shows that the person who wrote it is in a hurry. The fact that the handwriting near the end increases in size shows either two things, he/she is emotional about this or they like having a full page.

I honestly think this is Sophia.

This note makes no sense. There's really no use in doing anything with it until we get more information.

The Doctor is a nickname for Richtofen. However, Richtofen was a young (gay) man in college around that time, from what we know. Maxis and Richtofen were colleagues, not really friends. All that can be said is that Maxis did at one point trust Richtofen. But that's it.

Treyarch is poking fun at us with this, teasing us.

"This actually does make sense. You just don't know how yet." - Treyarch right now : P

To everyone saying "we have a date for the map now!" and "the characters would be too young in 1917 so we can't be playing as them" I just wanna point out that just because a letter related to the map was written in 1917 doesn't mean the map actually takes place then. Moon took place in the 60s (or later, I know that's still debated) but there are radios on there from the 40s. Letters and radios do not date the map, they simply indicate the timing of any backstory that may have happened there.

As to who wrote the letter, I'm unsure. Samantha was around 8 years old in 1945, and since Group 935 allows no further contact with family or, ahem, others, it's safe to assume Maxis couldn't have joined 935 until sometime after 1937, give or take a couple years. That being said, perhaps this was a smaller, less significant group that Maxis was part of before the formation of 935. Seeing as we don't have any clues as to the ages of Maxis, Richtofen, or anyone else in the group, it's hard to tell if this is someone we know or someone new.

To everyone saying "we have a date for the map now!" and "the characters would be too young in 1917 so we can't be playing as them" I just wanna point out that just because a letter related to the map was written in 1917 doesn't mean the map actually takes place then. Moon took place in the 60s (or later, I know that's still debated) but there are radios on there from the 40s. Letters and radios do not date the map, they simply indicate the timing of any backstory that may have happened there.

As to who wrote the letter, I'm unsure. Samantha was around 8 years old in 1945, and since Group 935 allows no further contact with family or, ahem, others, it's safe to assume Maxis couldn't have joined 935 until sometime after 1937, give or take a couple years. That being said, perhaps this was a smaller, less significant group that Maxis was part of before the formation of 935. Seeing as we don't have any clues as to the ages of Maxis, Richtofen, or anyone else in the group, it's hard to tell if this is someone we know or someone new.

Heard a few people reference "no contact with family or friends" after joining 935. a) still possible that this friend also joined 935 B) this seems to be just a journal entry not anything that would be contacting a friend or family.

I am very surprised to see this early of a date here. kinda ironic i think that black ops 2 as a whole was touted as "near future" yet zombies wise the time frames have varied and gone backwards in time more than ever before. (mob specifically)

But theres one thing for sure, that this is designed to generate hype, and that it has succeeded in, at least for me :)

Heard a few people reference "no contact with family or friends" after joining 935. a) still possible that this friend also joined 935 B) this seems to be just a journal entry not anything that would be contacting a friend or family.

I wasn't saying that this letter couldn't have happened, I was saying that if Maxis were in 935 since 1917, he wouldn't have been able to see Samantha's mother, and unless by some strange time paradox in which Samantha was born before 1917 and was somehow still only 8 years old in 1945, Maxis would've have to have "seen" Samantha's mother sometime around 1936-7, otherwise Samantha wouldn't have ever been born. This means one of three things:

1. Maxis joined 935 after Samantha was born around 1937.

2. Maxis broke the rules, contacted Samantha's mother around that time and impregnated her.

3. Maxis had a secret relationship with Sophia, and she is Samantha's mother.

In my opinion, all three of these things are equally likely.

Unfortunately, none of them bring us any closer to figuring out who wrote this letter, seeing as it still could've been Maxis regardless of which fact about him is true :lol:

Well I have said earlier that the next map could be chemical factory. And I still believe it will revolve around chemical weapons like mustard gas. It seems this map tells us the first time Germans came in contact with Element 115 and started to experiment with it. And it now seems to fit exactly with the World War 1 time line when these nerve gasses were weaponized.

Is it bad that I didn't see a single spelling mistake myself until you guys pointed it out? This is probably why I never entered spelling competitions :lol:

edit, I just quoted your source thing and google chrome didn't pick up any spelling errors. Are you sure there are spelling errors?

"adament" - correct spelling: adamant (dictionary link)

"optomistic" - correct spelling: optimistic (dictionary link)

... yeah I'm sure :mrgreen:

The angling of the words, the spelling shows that the person who wrote it is in a hurry. The fact that the handwriting near the end increases in size shows either two things, he/she is emotional about this or they like having a full page.

yeah, I think it was in haste that they wrote this - which could explain the spelling errors.

"This actually does make sense. You just don't know how yet." - Treyarch right now : P

+1. Zimmy's just sitting back laughing.

It just isn't consistent with what we know. At all, really. I was initially ridiculously excited by this, but am now simply confused.

Pretty much my exact feeling as well.

Something to note is that perhaps we have a date for the "19xx" Mauser picture that Liam posted in his "DLC 4 HINTS" thread:

Perhaps it's a metaphorical warning. The writer was worried about maxis digging way back then, now we should be worrying how he is digging after Samantha now.

By the way this might not be a direct reference to the map, I mean most of the other diary entries don't directly reference die rise and Buried

- correct spelling: adamant (dictionary link)

- correct spelling: optimistic (dictionary link)

... yeah I'm sure :mrgreen:

This is exactly why my teachers tell me to have someone else proofread stuff because I never catch those stupid mistakes.