Next Gen zombies. What can we realistically expect?

Hey guys!  I know the waiting period between Black Ops 2 and CoD 2015 has been long and difficult, but I think we've done great as a community of keeping things fresh!

This thread is for discussion, ideas, etc.  I was thinking the other day that we have had multiple threads about "ideas for the new zombies" like wonder weapons, perks, maps, etc.  Well this is specifically to discuss what the Xbox One and PS4 platforms will bring to the table as far as improvements and new features for Treyarch's Zombies.

For those who are a little more technically knowledgeable, what were some of the limitations of the previous gen consoles that caused some things to be unfeasible in zombies?

I mean obviously with the new hardware, we could probably have more than 24 zombies on screen at once, and graphical improvements will be there obviously, but are there any ideas of game play or weapons or mechanics that will only be possible because of the new hardware?

I look forward to your guys' ideas!

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just hope they improve the late game of Zombies.

After you've PAP'd your guns and enter high rounds it's pretty much: train in this exact spot until you either quit the game because of boredom or accidentally mess up your train because of carelessness thanks to boredom. Whichever comes first. It doesn't really help that nearly all weapons become practically useless after you pass a certain round.

After you've PAP'd your guns and enter high rounds it's pretty much: train in this exact spot until you either quit the game because of boredom or accidentally mess up your train because of carelessness thanks to boredom. Whichever comes first. It doesn't really help that nearly all weapons become practically useless after you pass a certain round.

I think a good solution to this would be upgradeable perks only available after you reach a certain round. They could be either extremely expensive, so you'd have to earn more points for each one, or require a challenge.

Personally, I think that they'd be able to make saveable solo games. What I mean by that, is that you could save a game on solo, turn off the console, and then hop back on the next day and finish the match. They'd of course have to make sure that when you join the save, it overwrites the previous one so that it wouldn't be exploited.

Also, I'm really looking forward to multiple maps per DLC. 1 heavily story-connected, and 1 loosely or not connected, like MOTD. Maybe even some small Grief maps. But $15 for 1 map, and maybe an extra gun, is bullshit.

They also really need to bring back BO1 custom games, because I don't want someone to back out just so I can have a 2/3 man game count! 

I can see them making it so that if someone lags out, the score doesn't cut off, and instead it automatically changes it in the leaderboard to say a 3-man game from a 4-man. 

I think a good solution to this would be upgradeable perks only available after you reach a certain round. They could be either extremely expensive, so you'd have to earn more points for each one, or require a challenge. I'd like this instead of perma perks. At the high rounds, points become useless. 50k to upgrade a perk may seem extreme, but when you have 200k just sitting there doing nothing, it isn't a big deal imo. Just no Jugg upgrades. A one second boost to reload speed, a wider radius on cherry/dolphin dive, half the time revives. No need to shoot 3 bullets, or take 6 hits, or carry 4 weapons.
  • Administrators
This is hard to tell what we will get, realistically. I'm confident that we will see heavy story-related maps. After a very measly Black Ops II caused upset and thoroughly confused gamers, I do believe there will be some level of clarification. Any more of this same crap we got last game will cause fans to be pushed away, in my opinion.

I want them to actually take time to think about what went well for them and what didn't. Then they can merge this and add some new stuff to see if it works out, I mean gameplay wise not story wise, I have faith in them story wise.

Realistically speaking I think there will be Somewhat more Gore and Weapons will now feel like they are firing Pellets. 

I think, that zombies should die on round one with one knife or 6 shots or so. Then continue to get harder as the rounds progress. What would be cooler is if there were more zombies and weapons worked even more effectively. We didn't come here to shoot at a zombie 1000 times and have it NOT die, no! We came here to destroy corpses in a 1000 different ways with ease! Plus, the faster a weapon kills the zombie the less points it will procure. 

Something that probably won't be implemented but would be cool is stopping power. Like if you hit a zombie with a pistol it stagers a bit, but if you hit him with an RPG he goes flying backwards, not dead, but flying backwards. It also would be cool if players hit with their own RPG blast (or enemy players hit with enemy blasts) would go flying back a few feet as well. 

• Tech Admin

Realistically what can we expect.

Answer: A lot

Truthfully, not much. The new hardware on the current gen consoles will be enough to give us a heck of a lot in game but the game itself is still limited by the engine. It needs to have a lot of work done to it, to make it "better".

What we can realistically expect is the return of perks with a couple of new ones, we can realistically expect wunderfizz to return (it was well received). We can also expect a return to Black ops style maps/gameplay and we can expect the crawler to return.

Easter eggs will be more involved/in depth and we can maybe even expect more cut scenes - not everyone likes them but I do like a well put together cut scene. The processing power of the current gen consoles will allow so much more depth, it will allow more gore on screen, more zombies on screen but I think they actually might stick to the 24 at a time (maybe increasing it slight to 30, 36).

We are only restricted now by what the developers cannot think off, sure hardware limitations still exist but not as much as before.

Realistically what can we expect.

Answer: A lot

Truthfully, not much. The new hardware on the current gen consoles will be enough to give us a heck of a lot in game but the game itself is still limited by the engine. It needs to have a lot of work done to it, to make it "better".

What we can realistically expect is the return of perks with a couple of new ones, we can realistically expect wunderfizz to return (it was well received). We can also expect a return to Black ops style maps/gameplay and we can expect the crawler to return.

Easter eggs will be more involved/in depth and we can maybe even expect more cut scenes - not everyone likes them but I do like a well put together cut scene. The processing power of the current gen consoles will allow so much more depth, it will allow more gore on screen, more zombies on screen but I think they actually might stick to the 24 at a time (maybe increasing it slight to 30, 36).

We are only restricted now by what the developers cannot think off, sure hardware limitations still exist but not as much as before.

I think you're right but also Electric Cherry will come back as a lot of people liked it and some of the other Black Ops perks but not like one per map how it was in some Black Ops 2 maps. Also I think they will bring something like soul chests or the dogs back but more along the lines of the Mob of the Dead style not the Origins style as it is quite tedious. By the way the robots in Origin, I don't want them back but if they can make things (I don't know what to classify them as) like that in the map what else could they do?

What are some aspects of BO2 that will be carried over you think? Each game so far has added a set of aspects that have reoccurred in the next game at least once, so what from BO2 will come back? 

WAW: -Zombies, -Dogs, -O4, -O4 perks, -Mystery box, -wonder weapons, -traps, -monkeys, -easter egg, bowie, -PAP, ect. 

BO1: -Novas, -BO perks, -actor maps, ect. 

Bo2: -Electric cherry should return, as well as Vulture's aid and the wonder fizz. However I think tombstone and Who's who should be scrapped. Buildables is also something that should return. Double pack a punching, galvaknuckles. 

The bank is something that needs to be tweaked, but the weapons locker can stay as-is. Perma-perks need to be scrapped. 

What are some aspects of BO2 that will be carried over you think? Each game so far has added a set of aspects that have reoccurred in the next game at least once, so what from BO2 will come back? 

WAW: -Zombies, -Dogs, -O4, -O4 perks, -Mystery box, -wonder weapons, -traps, -monkeys, -easter egg, bowie, -PAP, ect. 

BO1: -Novas, -BO perks, -actor maps, ect. 

Bo2: -Electric cherry should return, as well as Vulture's aid and the wonder fizz. However I think tombstone and Who's who should be scrapped. Buildables is also something that should return. Double pack a punching, galvaknuckles. 

The bank is something that needs to be tweaked, but the weapons locker can stay as-is. Perma-perks need to be scrapped. 

I think that the bank should be scrapped or at least make it so it isn't accessible on round 1. I like that you can give points to other players too. Also the locker was perfect in Tranzit. It isn't to hard or easy to get to. Tombstone is a good perk and would work on maps like Nuketown but doesn't work on the bigger maps or less accessible maps like Mob of the Dead. It should return but only in selected maps. Who's Who shouldn't return but I think the idea of powering something in a different way like Afterlife and Generators will come back.

Supposedly Treyarch made wonder weapons like the sliquifier, Paralyzer, etc because they kill more gradually, because the BO2 engine wouldn't have been able to handle say a thundergun killing 24 zombies in less than a second. I'm not sure how accurate that is, since I'm not too tech savvy, but I think the wonder weapons will be able to return to their classic obnoxiously overkill feel.

• Administrators

Supposedly Treyarch made wonder weapons like the sliquifier, Paralyzer, etc because they kill more gradually, because the BO2 engine wouldn't have been able to handle say a thundergun killing 24 zombies in less than a second. I'm not sure how accurate that is, since I'm not too tech savvy, but I think the wonder weapons will be able to return to their classic obnoxiously overkill feel.

I'm looking forward to that, I enjoyed being able to kill them at once and regathering myself instead of being overwhelmed.

I'm looking forward to that, I enjoyed being able to kill them at once and regathering myself instead of being overwhelmed.

Yeah, being backed into a corner with any of the BO2 wonder weapons was still risky business. Things like the sliquifier, paralyzer, and even some staves on later rounds just don't kill quickly. On the other hand with a thundergun you're just like "psh, please." Good wonder weapons are powerful. Great wonder weapons make you feel powerful.

The Blundergat, Elemental Staffs and even the Jetgun pretty much invalidate this rumor. It's more likely Treyarch's attempt at adding some risk / reward to the use of the wunder weapons. Same reason they took away PhD Flopper.

Well yeah I'm not saying engine limitations were the ONLY reason why treyarch took a new approach in black ops 2, but just looking back, almost every black ops 1 wonder weapon could kill a full train of 24 in one shot relatively instantly, on any round. The only exceptions were the V-R11, raygun, and monkey bombs. Not a single BO2 wonder weapon can do this, or at least not indefinitely. Sure the vitriolic withering can, as well as some of the staves, but not to the extent that they could in BO1. I'm sure they were intentionally going in a new direction, but i still think restrictions influenced them in that direction. I mean people openly expressed dissatisfaction with the jet gun and the sliquifier. It seems like the subsequent wonder weapons were a "compromise."

I don't believe it's a rumor. All those weapons have specific limitations so you can't kill too many zombies at once. 

-Jet gun: Does gradual, yet infinite, damage to a specific point in the screen. 

-Blundergat: Does actually turn zombies for crawlers only after a certain point. Not killing them. Also, while it's power is great, it's range is not, you may be able to take out the front 5 zombies, but the other 10 are going to keep running at you. 

-Staffs stop working, and even then they aren't hitting the whole screen: 

-Fire- blasts 3 large balls of fire that gradually kill

-lightning - blast one tiny zap of lightning that gradually kills

-wind- actually does hit the whole screen and kills instantly, but the effects don't last long, and furthermore the bodies can also be just stunned. 

-ice: hits the whole screen but gradually kills

The thunder gun eventually just made zombies get blown out of the way to clear a path. The scavenger just started making crawlers. At least the staffs, save Lightning, killed well into higher rounds. Fire was great, but incredibly lagy, ice didn't really lag as bad in my experience, but wind did.

I don't know what the cause is/was, I just know it was incredibly jarring. On insta kills, a grenade throw would make everyone in the game lag, as would an executioner's full clip.

I just hope that gets put to an end. All the other stuff is minor.