Clearly IW has thrown in the towel

The Clay Bird

• Tech Admin

What he means is, IW is essentially no more. Think about it, those behind IW left when the big fall out with Activision occurred, most of the staff decided leave also or were forced to leave by Activision.

Respawn is effectively IW, sledgehammer had to be drafted in with MW3 to the IW team.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Blunt Force aka Weed 420 camo is locked content!

Let that sink to you. They are already shipping games with content locked on disk and then selling that later as mdlc. When our Community Manager was asked if its true she said No.....

Now we have also a CM who f####ng lies straight to people....

Next time you buy your ducky camo or other mdlc think about what you support and what kind of message you give to the gaming market in general.

• Tech Admin

A studio was taken to court on that issue before and lost, anything on disc was purchased and should not have been classed as DLC and charged for in the future. The studio lost the case, I can't remember exactly what game it was but it was a few years ago.

If it was on the disc, then you have purchased that and should not by law, have to pay for it again.

What he means is, IW is essentially no more. Think about it, those behind IW left when the big fall out with Activision occurred, most of the staff decided leave also or were forced to leave by Activision.

Respawn is effectively IW, sledgehammer had to be drafted in with MW3 to the IW team.

Exactly what I mean, Respawn is effectively IW, as most of the people who made the original 2 COD's, MW1 and MW2 were all fired or forced to leave Activision after the fallout Post MW2, and Sledgehammer was drafted to fill in the newly empty IW team, I don't know if Sledgehammer did the Single Player, but I do know Sledgehammer were the main developers of both MW3 and Ghost's multiplayer.

so my point was is that Sledgehammer and the current "IW" are basically one in the same, so basically Sledgehammer now gets to make two COD's every three years, just peddling one of them under Infinity Ward's name.

• Administrators

So basically when a television show in most instances begins to lose viewers due to poor quality (typically because it has been on for so long), they will try last ditch effort to bring people in. Typically it’s some big gimmick that they think people will like, but it doesn’t really pan out. Its origins come from the show Happy Days where Fonzie was going to jump over a shark in water skis.

I think it's selling stuff.  They aren't making the game to be super seriousness all the time.  Why add Michael Myers and Predator?  It's for fun.  If you don't like it, fair enough.  You don't have to buy it.  But for those who think this is hilariously awesome and enjoy Ghosts, then they will buy it.  That's who IW is catering to.

I've found that CoDz is super critical of anything IW does, but if Treyarch had done this, it would have been genius and the next Mona Lisa in scale.  

Let them make a game for fun.  If they make another MW, people complain.  They do a different story, people complain.  Let them make their game and make DLC that people enjoy.  If you don't like it, you aren't required to buy it.  It's not a sign that they're going downhill.  Most people agree BF4 was the better shooter this year, yet Ghosts will outsold them.  Let that sink in.

IW isn't dying or just grasping at straws to sell a product.  They're having fun with their game and allowing others to enjoy it as well instead of it being the same old thing every game.

I think it's selling stuff.  They aren't making the game to be super seriousness all the time.  Why add Michael Myers and Predator?  It's for fun.  If you don't like it, fair enough.  You don't have to buy it.  But for those who think this is hilariously awesome and enjoy Ghosts, then they will buy it.  That's who IW is catering to.

I've found that CoDz is super critical of anything IW does, but if Treyarch had done this, it would have been genius and the next Mona Lisa in scale.  

Let them make a game for fun.  If they make another MW, people complain.  They do a different story, people complain.  Let them make their game and make DLC that people enjoy.  If you don't like it, you aren't required to buy it.  It's not a sign that they're going downhill.  Most people agree BF4 was the better shooter this year, yet Ghosts will outsold them.  Let that sink in.

IW isn't dying or just grasping at straws to sell a product.  They're having fun with their game and allowing others to enjoy it as well instead of it being the same old thing every game.

disagree.  It's exactly what Boom said.  CoD used to be fun on its own merit.  we didnt need michael myers snoop dog or predator to make it fun, it was fun as a stand alone product with its own original content.  Ghosts is obviously not selling well, and IW is now trying to bolster sales of dlc through use of celebrity endorsement and gimmicks aka jumping the shark.

If treyarch had done something like this, the criticism from me at least would be the same.  We have all given treyarch plenty of criticism over BO2 zombies.

Its quite possible that the main culprit for ghosts sucking is the whole nature of developing for 2 diff generations of consoles. It can be a scapegoat at least

But proof that CoD is really targeting the lowest common denominator is in the snoop dogg/weed camo/gimmicky map aspects   

I can only hope that in 2015 treyarch can make CoD fun because of CoD, not because of a bunch of pop culture gimmicks

• Moderators

That is not true.

Tons of people have showed their disappointment in regards to BO2.

We (or at least I) would not tolerate this even if Treyarch made it.

Edited by Lenne

I don't care what y'all say, I'm getting that Snoop Dogg pack. Know why? Because I actually like this game. Shocking, isn't it?! That I want to buy more content for a game I enjoy? All this hate everywhere on the internet and I'm sick of it.

This customization content clearly isn't for you if you don't like the game. It's for the people, like me, who like the game in its entirety and wish to customize it in these ways. It's not "jumping the shark." It's not "throwing in the towel." These micro-DLCs aren't meant to bring in a new audience. Nobody is going to see these and say "Oh, well now I want to play CoD Ghosts!" It's for the people who actually like the game, not for the demographic who already doesn't like the game enough to play it. It's something new that Infinity Ward is trying to do, yet all people want to do is hate on them again. Or hate on the game. Or hate on Call of Duty as a whole. People always want innovation from CoD, but never the innovations they try. 

I don't care what y'all say, I'm getting that Snoop Dogg pack. Know why? Because I actually like this game. Shocking, isn't it?! That I want to buy more content for a game I enjoy? All this hate everywhere on the internet and I'm sick of it.

This customization content clearly isn't for you if you don't like the game. It's for the people, like me, who like the game in its entirety and wish to customize it in these ways. It's not "jumping the shark." It's not "throwing in the towel." These micro-DLCs aren't meant to bring in a new audience. Nobody is going to see these and say "Oh, well now I want to play CoD Ghosts!" It's for the people who actually like the game, not for the demographic who already doesn't like the game enough to play it. It's something new that Infinity Ward is trying to do, yet all people want to do is hate on them again. Or hate on the game. Or hate on Call of Duty as a whole. People always want innovation from CoD, but never the innovations they try.

3 60p, 3 level 50s, and a 7th guy unlocked.

I love this crappy cod (they are all crappy in my view).

Is it sad that i want the weed camo?

Edited by 83457

Innovation isn't gun camos and Snoop Dogg bloviating the whitest shit possible.

Innovation is in game mechanics and fundamentals. Ghosts already blew it in that department ("oh you can SLIDE?!"). Anything extra is for $$$, $$$, and more $$$. As I said in my post on the 1st, page, CoD has featured famous voices in MP before - so why make it pay for a voice now if not just for the money?

disagree.  It's exactly what Boom said.  CoD used to be fun on its own merit.  we didnt need michael myers snoop dog or predator to make it fun, it was fun as a stand alone product with its own original content.  Ghosts is obviously not selling well, and IW is now trying to bolster sales of dlc through use of celebrity endorsement and gimmicks aka jumping the shark.

If treyarch had done something like this, the criticism from me at least would be the same.  We have all given treyarch plenty of criticism over BO2 zombies.

Its quite possible that the main culprit for ghosts sucking is the whole nature of developing for 2 diff generations of consoles. It can be a scapegoat at least

But proof that CoD is really targeting the lowest common denominator is in the snoop dogg/weed camo/gimmicky map aspects   

I can only hope that in 2015 treyarch can make CoD fun because of CoD, not because of a bunch of pop culture gimmicks

Yes, whe CoD was new it was fun on it's own merit.  Still is.  But guess what.  When things stayed the same, people complained about it getting boring and stale and all that jazz.  As Flammen said, they're catering to the people who are enjoying the game and want more customization.  No one is forcing you to buy it.  People aren't going to go buy Ghosts just to have Snoop Dogg voice over.  

I swear just because y'all don't like a game doesn't mean you have to hate on anything it does.  It's really saddening that developers can't make add ons for a game that is meant to be enjoyed without it being super criticized.  Let them have fun and let the people who enjoy Ghosts enjoy the content that is being provided.

CoD is far from going anywhere.  I've heard since Black Ops how CoD was falling and how it wouldn't be a franchise next year.  And while I know people that have quit buying CoDs and I'm not the biggest fan anymore myself, I even recognize that they continue to outsell the competition every year.  You know why?  Because people like the fast paced action that CoD delivers and as CoD continues to push competitive play and ranked play in game, you'll see it continue to grow.

And to whoever wrote (I genuinely can't remember...could even be in the quote for all I know) that they're just catering to some teens and 20s that are all about their rap music and 420 smoke weed everyday jokes mentality, you are completely right.  Shocking that a company would cater to the audience that they are reaching.

Innovation isn't gun camos and Snoop Dogg bloviating the whitest shit possible.

Innovation is in game mechanics and fundamentals. Ghosts already blew it in that department ("oh you can SLIDE?!"). Anything extra is for $$$, $$$, and more $$$. As I said in my post on the 1st, page, CoD has featured famous voices in MP before - so why make it pay for a voice now if not just for the money?

It's adding customization.  Oh you like this camo?  Well we made one and you get all this stuff with it.  Oh you like Snoop Dogg?  He can now do the voice over in game.  You don't like them?  That's fine you can keep playing CoD just as you like it.

Customization is what everyone demands nowadays.  That's why games like League of Legends can make billions off of only selling skins for champions.  Because people like to show themselves in what they do.  I have absolutely no problem with them making micro DLC for fans who want them.  If I don't want them, it doesn't affect me any.  

And couldn't you argue that DLC in any form is the developer just trying to make more money?  Oh you like multiplayer?  We don't require you to do this, but if you like it enough, pay $15 for these four maps!"  It's been happening a long time and just because they've made smaller price points to allow fans more customization, it doesn't mean it's going anywhere anytime soon.

Look at Team Fortress 2.  Millions made off of selling hats that do nothing that someone can wear in game.

Yes, whe CoD was new it was fun on it's own merit.  Still is.  But guess what.  When things stayed the same, people complained about it getting boring and stale and all that jazz.  As Flammen said, they're catering to the people who are enjoying the game and want more customization.  No one is forcing you to buy it.  People aren't going to go buy Ghosts just to have Snoop Dogg voice over.  

I swear just because y'all don't like a game doesn't mean you have to hate on anything it does.  It's really saddening that developers can't make add ons for a game that is meant to be enjoyed without it being super criticized.  Let them have fun and let the people who enjoy Ghosts enjoy the content that is being provided.

CoD is far from going anywhere.  I've heard since Black Ops how CoD was falling and how it wouldn't be a franchise next year.  And while I know people that have quit buying CoDs and I'm not the biggest fan anymore myself, I even recognize that they continue to outsell the competition every year.  You know why?  Because people like the fast paced action that CoD delivers and as CoD continues to push competitive play and ranked play in game, you'll see it continue to grow.

And to whoever wrote (I genuinely can't remember...could even be in the quote for all I know) that they're just catering to some teens and 20s that are all about their rap music and 420 smoke weed everyday jokes mentality, you are completely right.  Shocking that a company would cater to the audience that they are reaching.

Yeah, this thread i guess really wasn't designed for those who love Ghosts, but since we're here, I think the point myself and Grill are making is that for those who are saying cod is getting bland, its not because of the lack of celebrity cameos and customization options, its because of the lack of innovation, and more lack of attention to detail imo*.  I have no problem with the camos to be honest, BO2 did this and I bought a lot of them.  If i played ghosts as much as i played BO2 i might buy some on ghosts (although i think most of the camos pale in comparison to the BO2 ones but thats neither here nor there).

Customization is fine, but for me personally , im drawing the line at customizing the announcers voice into a celebrity for $3. 

Is this rant born out of frustration that I think the game itself sucks?  absolutely.  I hope that doesn't affect how those who are enjoying it think, just my personal opinion

* One of the reasons im more of a treyarch fan boy is because of how much more innovative the treyarch titles have been, and how you can see the following IW title copy those ideas. Examples: dolphin dive, pick 10 system, the cod casting system, etc.   I loved the pick 10 system more than any other innovation in cod.  ive given them all a fair chance, and i just don't enjoy the IW titles as much (except i did like MW2 ok, it was fairly fun for a long time)

So basically when a television show in most instances begins to lose viewers due to poor quality (typically because it has been on for so long), they will try last ditch effort to bring people in. Typically it’s some big gimmick that they think people will like, but it doesn’t really pan out. Its origins come from the show Happy Days where Fonzie was going to jump over a shark in water skis.

Also I remember hearing that when something is failing, it tries to bring in big name celebrities to attract viewers.

Like The Simpsons did that Lady Gaga episode.

Now COD is bringing in Snoop Dogg since 90% of hardcore COD Fanboys consider themselves gangsters just cos they can quick scope and their GT is somehing like "xXxQU1CKSN1PEZzZzZxXx

People always want innovation from CoD, but never the innovations they try. 

Are you implying that these micro dlcs are an innovation?

No, but they are new (in terms of the announcer packs). I'm just saying that every time a CoD makes changes, people get upset. When a CoD doesn't make changes, people get upset. There's no winning for the devs.

Do the devs really want this in the game? I'm pretty sure that the devs want the game to speak for itself, and not the pomp and frills. But still, I get what your saying - it's for people who already have the game and think it would be a fun add on, obviously it's not going to bring any new people in. It just seems... desperate to me, a ploy for attention. It's so much more "gimmick" then "innovation".