Staff Meeting - WHAT WAS DISCUSSED (6/9)

GRILL

Mega and myself are at an impasse.

Strangely enough, I actually believe that both of us have only actually strengthened our respective opinions of each other in a roundabout way.

There is clearly more going on behind this than what is on the thread, but neither of us are going to go into it.

We both believe we are in the right, but I don't believe anyone else can judge this without knowing the ins and outs which aren't going to be explained.

I am removing the comment which started all this.  I will not moderate anything else and leave it up to whoever has posted.

As a staff member I feel it is my job to listen and assess what is best.  Clearly, my personal opinion is not reflected by the majority, hence my saying I do not want to debate this.

I wasn't referring to the actual topic as a whole, but just my opinion on it.

I will always put my opinion out there, and argue for it.  I've already put all my salient points out there on this, have heard some in return but have not changed my opinion.

On this I feel it should only be a zombie site and always have done, but have never done anything to make that so.  The only thing being discussed is post content and formatting I suppose, and on this I will listen and decide what the majority want, and then more than likely argue for that during the staff meeting.

I would always go with what the majority of USERS want, unless there are really extenuating circumstances around it.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Off track here, but I just want to say this thread makes me happy. THIS is how I imagined the staff and CoDz working together.

*applauses*

On track again,

The whole automated introductory post? Makes us seem like those annoying automated phone calls. I understand the purpose of those, but perhaps there's a way to make it so the first time someone logs in, they have that appear in a pop up? Or at least in their PM inbox. It just seems like a lot of....blah tossed in your face right after you introduce yourself. I made a topic for my un-retirement recently, and was even like "Whoa wat?"

*ahem*

Stop making me look bad and acknowledge me pls.

• 3 weeks later...

SO.  we still haven't had our scheduled April meeting yet.  The first week fell through, and then Nick/StrWrsBob was in Boston for PAX East last week.  Just giving you all an update, and to reiterate that we will be having these meetings on the regular - it's just been quite hectic for most of us personally (I know I've had barely any time for CoDZ because of my taxes, and general business of my LLC).

There is only one full week left in April after this week, and I am really hoping we'll have the meeting either next week or the week after.  Regardless just wanted to let anyone who was interested know what's up - and to apologize for the delay!

• 2 weeks later...

I talked to Werf via Skype and we agreed that "Future Zombies" has become littered with more ideas/wants than threads based on what we could expect for well, future zombies. I say future zombies should at least have some subforum specifically for posting original ideas we'd like to see in future maps.

STAFF MEETING: it happened.

We are still working out a few things, so I can't post the "agenda/decisions" with you all yet BUT...

I'm happy to share a couple new things we've implemented/we will be soon implementing (none of which are permanent, we just want to know if they should be ;) ):

Random Topic Menu Item - Directly next to "View New Content" you will find "Random Topic".  This will take you to a random topic, and could literally change your life.

Upcoming Calendar Events Sidebar - On the right hand side, you'll now find a sidebar that will display scheduled calendar events.  We hope this will encourage you all to use the calendar more, and to team up more!

Ability to give Brains removed from OFF TOPIC & FORUM GAMES - We'd been planning this awhile.

@ usernames (beta) - Basically, you'll be able to "tag" each other in posts.  The person who's tagged gets a PM.  If it turns out to be annoying, then we'll take it away. (Find out how to "tag" each other and get notifications here: http://www.callofdutyzombies.com/forum/index.php/topic/159363-mention-function-beta/#entry1491189)

... that's all I can share for now.  I promise updates on previous topics, and new topics alike will be shared very soon.

Heh, that makes two of us. 

It's for the best though. If there's one thing I'd actually support in where content matters most right now, it's the posts in which brains are given to.

And the suspense is killing me, Grill. Tell us nao!

@ usernames (beta) - Basically, you'll be able to "tag" each other in posts.  The person who's tagged gets a PM.  If it turns out to be annoying, then we'll take it away. (we will have a more detailed thread regarding this up, and how to "activate it" soon)

Glad to see this.

This was something me and covy wanted to implement when we were updating the site but we never got it working

Ability to give Brains removed from OFF TOPIC 

Welp, looks like I'm most likely never getting brains again. That's just freakin great. 

Everything else is just okay.

Just okay?!

joking ;)  yeah, now that brains are back we have to lay some laws down.  Off topic and forum games are super important, ESPECIALLY in the off season - we just want to keep brains specific to zombies content, and excellent posts.  Not to say those two things don't occur in off topic & games, just not as often.

Heh, that makes two of us. 

It's for the best though. If there's one thing I'd actually support in where content matters most right now, it's the posts in which brains are given to.

And the suspense is killing me, Grill. Tell us nao!

It's nothing huge, just updates on past stuff - like for instance forum reorganization.  Just getting our stuff together beforehand (test images, etc.)

@ usernames (beta) - Basically, you'll be able to "tag" each other in posts.  The person who's tagged gets a PM.  If it turns out to be annoying, then we'll take it away. (we will have a more detailed thread regarding this up, and how to "activate it" soon)

Glad to see this.

This was something me and covy wanted to implement when we were updating the site but we never got it working

Thanks Liam!  I've posted a thread on how to use the "@Mention Function" here: http://www.callofdutyzombies.com/forum/index.php/topic/159363-mention-function-beta/#entry1491189

I just realized Member Lounge and Deep Thought still have brains. Good. Those two make sense to keep it in. Good things have come out of both.

Indeed.  Member lounge and deep thought are a strong resource of incredible quality posts, which we think brains go hand in hand with (alongside excellent zombie content as well)

• Administrators

Where could I make and defend a claim regarding the @ username function?

I'd like to submit that the @ username function should default at "on" and be an "opt-out" system, rather than default at "off" and be an "opt-in" system.

It could easily be set as the default. It was decided in the suggestion thread for this feature that it be turned off. This was due to several members expressing concern about being spammed. Although following recent events I think this could be reevaluated.

• Moderators

What's the word on some new medals

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

and the retired staff?

Retired

That is all :D

Hey!

You are part of the staff which means you have to be super serious at all times. :P

• Administrators

We apologize for yesterday's inconvenience, folks. There was a slight problem with the host that we fixed temporarily. CoDz is back up and running, and we are currently discussing several ideas that will further prevent this action from happening once more.

That's May's downtime done.

Next up is June's downtime.

Funny thing is that we, as staff, have to pay out of our own pockets to keep this place running - so that YOU can enjoy it. And instead of the thanks, or recognition - we just get this kind of shit.

If you'd like there to be no downtime Nathan, then please make a donation - rather then making a slight.

I'm sorry if I'm overreacting, but Infest was actually one of the staff members to pay out of his pocket for this month, and I don't think it's a fair response to him.

This is the response needed:

Thank you infest for making it possible for us all to be together for at least one more month.