Jimmy Z Tweets - Explaining Rank

Code for something or troll? Looks like it's about the ranking system.

The Ra k is ive", it ris and lls bas on ho ll y pl erall. I is ba on w ma dow ver y fin nd. Low nd dow cou aga y mo th dow in lat nds...

...y ne to ma it to hi nd t ri in rank...

https://twitter.com/ZielinskiJimmy/stat ... 7038191616

Translation attempt by me...

"The Rank is alive", it rises and falls based on how well you play overall ..... It is based on how many downs versus your final round .... Low round downs count against you more than downs in later rounds ... You need to make it to high rounds to rise in rank...
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Rank is alive, it rises and falls based on how..... It is based on how many downs .... Low .. and down counts against you more than downs in ... to make it to high rounds to rise in rank.

The Rank is "live", it rises and falls based on how well you play overall. It is based on how many downs versus your final round. Low round downs count [against your?] ___ in later rounds."

- Heather

Translation attempt by me...

"The Rank is alive", it rises and falls based on how well you play overall ..... It is based on how many downs versus your final round .... Low round downs count against you more than downs in later rounds ... You need to make it to high rounds to rise in rank...

I think you translated it perfectly. Good job.

I was hoping to see other variables other than Downs / Rounds that would affect your rank.

Like amount of revives, completing sidequests, how many times someone left a game, et cetera et cetera.

Now what could have been a really rich and ingenious ranking system has been pretty much reduced to

'Look How Much Time This Guy Has On His Hands'-system. Oh well.

- Heather

• Administrators

Yeah, and so if you have a certain amount of downs on your account, short of you getting to Round 1 Billion, you will never rank up.

Pretty much. That is, if you've been earning more than 5 downs before Round 20 or so.

I still think that K/D would be a factor in it just because it involves downs. You can't hit high rounds if you don't earn enough kills, yet going down is still an adverse effect on both ratios. In that case, I might as well play to Round 50 every game on Farm Survival. :P

Now we wait to see the exact formula for reaching particular ranks.

To be brutally honest I believe the Ranking system is negatively affecting the way people play.

Every time you play now your thinking about how many downs you have.

I had another bad day on zombies today, lost eyes & three tally marks, and it has made me feel like shit about how I play.

It just wasn't fun.

Now I don't even want to play at all.

I know I will return another day, but this ranking business bothers me.

Several times I've been called crap & noob just from my emblem.

The ranking system is turning Zombies into MP, at least in mp you don't have to watch your rank fall if you have a few bad games/days.

I don't get much time to play & today falling in rank like that is a bitter pill to swallow.

They should make it cumulative, not your only as good as your last three matches.

I've seen people with the shotgun icons leave a match for going down once, some times killing the game, connection lost to host, or host migration throwing the match off.

Not everything in zombies should be a mystery.

If it was me doing the programming, I would have just given zombie player the MP ranking system, prestige levels with the icons(10-15), weapons challenges & stat tracking.

But that's just my opinion.

Right I'll stop whining about how crap I've been playing as of late.

Regards Alpha.

• Administrators

Alpha, the eyes and slashes only indicate how many consecutive days that you played. So you should not feel that your recent gameplay has not impacted your rank in any way. I am certain that they will tweak it if not completely scraping it in the next game.

Not everything in zombies should be a mystery.

I couldn't agree more.

The game has concluded & has nearly been out a full year. The ranking system is pointless anyway, all it is, is an emblem. But to contradict myself here, why won't Treyarch release some type of information on how it is achieved. It is a pointless gimmick that has a lot of people in the community pulling there hair out. There is no need for this to be a mystery.

I like all of the stat tracking, but the MP leveling system would be so much better. At least you get some type of reward for being dedicated & playing this game so much.

@ Mr Lithium. I agree completely.

They built it up to be some wondrous mystery system, complete with all these extra stats. People argued and people cried and people got angry and all this over a ranking system.

Now we find out it's just something as easy as this? Something that doesn't actually determine skill level but actually on how long you can play it for without someone leaving?

Good going Treyarch. -_-

Ranking System needs to either be like MP's, or we shouldn't have one at all. You can't have something like this and expect it to work out for the best.

All i have to say is that the goal in zombies is to reach the highest possible round.

All the rumors about K/D is totally sh*t.

Ok, here is an experiment for someone.

Play maps to high rounds & get kills with items that don't register kills - i.e. Mob of the Dead Acid Traps, etc

Do you need to get to certain number of rounds on different maps? Or can you just play a single map over & over? This would confirm if a Kill/Death ratio has any effect on the ranking system.

I played 5 or 6 games in a row making it to round 50-60 on buried, my rank picture is still at skull. These games had 5000-7000 kills with only 1 or 2 downs. Sadly my k/d ratio is around 60, just short of the suspected 70? for the Skull with knife emblem.

I think it has many factors, no downs before round 20, made it to round 30 etc, but a member here by the name of "Binsys" has confirmed that you can rank up in grief only. There is a topic in the grief forum. Here is his Topic -http://www.callofdutyzombies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=137&t=33098

I feel like this Ranking System was created solely to differentiate players from one another (like Prestiges in MP). Something that was lacking prior to Black Ops 2, and something that is a really good idea in itself, but sadly it ended up as a wasted opportunity due to poor execution and implantation.

Feedback is good. Especially negative feedback. (I haven't come across a single person that actually likes this whole Ranking thing).

In my opinion, this is the perfect "Rank / Skill / Show Off" - System.

Introduce, (weekly based) challenges - like the Contracts in BO1 - that can be anything from; 'get so many headshots with a certain weapon' to 'survive a specific amount of time within a zone in the map'.

Completing these challenges, along with getting to high rounds / rising up in the (global) leaderboards would then grant you XP. Get enough and you can unlock icons like the Skull / Shotguns / Characters' Mugshots for your personal titlecard.

Then on top of that have exclusive zombie-themed Calling Cards that can be unlocked by doing things like sidequests, challenges, et cetera. et cetera.

Each individual Calling Card would have like 5 different levels attached that can each be unlocked. (Each with their own quote that relates back to the challenge completed)

like Revive [bones level 1 -- revive someone 50 times] - Medic in Training.

and then Revive [skull (max level) -- revive someone 1500 times] - Richtofen's Protégé.

If you know Gears of War 3 -- you know what I'm talking about.

Something as simple, yet effective as Z Calling Cards would have made the choice in Buried's Endgame a lot more interesting and rewarding.

Imagine having two separate Cards for each path you took.

Richtofen's Delight -- "Complete Richtofen's Quest for Control".

Samantha's Desire -- "Revenge is a dish best served cold, mein Freund".

and even one for completing all sidequests without ever touching the endgame. / Start Buried without having powered any towers.

Out Of My Head! -- "I Am No One's Pawn".

Sincerely,

- Heather

I knew rounds and downs impacted rank but did not know that low rounds downs impacted more than high rounds. Based on that I came up with this theory.

[td]
Category Detailed Description
Downs Survive 5 rounds without a down past Round 15 to get a A.
[/td] Survive 20 rounds without a down to get a distinction.
More than three downs per round gives you D.
Rounds Survive 5 rounds or less in a game, you get D.
Survive 20 rounds or more to get B.
Survive 30 rounds or more to get A.
Head shots Get a total of 500 head shots per game to get a distinction.
Earn 115 head shots to get a B.
You get a B for having 15 or more revives in a game.
Revives

Get three or more revives at any round past 20 and then clutch the same round to get a distinction.
Big spender You get a B for spending 30,000 or more per game.
Quit midgame You get a D if you quit the game after getting a kill.
Kills Get a total of 500 kills or more to get B.
Get a total of 1000 kills in a game to get A.
Get less than 10% of team kills in any round past 15 you get a D.

Distinction A+ and D's can only be earned once per category.

Any other grade can be achieved more than once.

A+ 40 points (Distinction)

A 25 points

B 10 points

D -10 points

F -100 points

Note: 3 D's will earn you a "F".

"F" will leave you bankrupt and give you a total of -100 points for that game.

Grief and turned stats will not be accounted for Ranks.

So lets take some test cases:

Case 1:

Player A joins a public game and these are his stats.

He survives 26 rounds, 4 downs( round 3, 5, 24, 25) 254 head shots, 12 revives, 800 kills and spends 50,000 points.

1. Downs: Total 4 downs, Survived 5 rounds without a down past round 15 twice (15-20, 20-25).

He will earn 2 'A's.

2. Round: Survived 20+ rounds earns one B

3. Head shots: Has more than 115 head shots earns one B

4. Revives: No grades earned.

5. Big Spender: Earns B here for spending more than 30k.

6. Quit midgame: 0 N/A

7. Kills: Earns one B for 500+ kills.

Total : 2A + 1B + 1B + 1B + 1B = 2A + 3B = 2 * 25 + 3 *10 = 50 + 30 = 80 points.

Case 2:

Player B joins a public game and these are his stats.

He survives 36 rounds, 34 downs( round 20, 27, 33(10 downs inactive),34(5 downs inactive),35(7 downs inactive),36(10 downs inactive, trolled by teammates) 474 head shots

, 12 revives, 2500 kills and spends 50,000 points.

1. Downs: Total 34 downs, Survived 5 rounds without a down past round 15 twice (15-20, 21-26).

He will earn 2 'A's.

Has more than 3 downs per round, gets a D. (Round 33)

Survive 20 rounds without a down, gets a distinction. (1-20)

2. Round: Survive 30 rounds or more, gets A.

3. Head shots: 115 head shots earns B

4. Revives: No grades earned.

5. Big Spender: Earns B here for spending more than 30k.

6. Quit mid game: 0 N/A

7. Kills: Get a total of 1000 kills in a game, gets A.

Get less than 10% of team kills in any round past 15, gets D.

Total : 2A + D + A+ + A + B + A + D = 4A, A+,1B, 2D = (4*25) + 40 + 10 - 20 = 130

Point calculation and rank determination:

So the point average you earn from every game determines your rank. Numbers below are average of all public games played.

100 points or more for shotguns.

50 points or more for knife.

25 points or more for skull

10 points or more for crossbones

Conclusion:

This is a theory and the numbers are made up. I am definitely not certain about some things (like D grades and distinctions) but I believe I am right on target with downs and rounds. Basically not going down in the low rounds will give you better grades like A and that adds up to your rank.

I really wish hope quitters get punished hard.

I've just got to 36 on Origins solo, boom instant dagger.

Kills = 1831 Revives = 3 headshots = 741 Downs = 4

1 down at round 15, the rest in 36.

Total stats:

kills = 42,648, Downs = 505, Deaths = 230, Bullets 211,779, Revives = 358, Nads = 3,103, Headshots = 9075, Gibs = 42,982, Perks = 835, Doors = 997, Hits = 1.34, Miles = 804.

I never normally bother past 30, so this what put me over the edge.

So if I try for 40 then 50. I should see the shotguns soon.

I simply ran the crazy place, even then the spawns past 35 are crazy fast.

Was going to try to do choppers spawn abuse after 35, but could I get a couple of lone runners? Could I hell like.

Also just a note, if you injury any zombie in the crazy place & leave they instantly die, I did this with a full horde, shot the shit out of them in the legs with an Ak74u then left, the next round started.

So you can use the teleporters to kill in later rounds.

Not to sure how to exploit it mid round.

Anyway, I'm feeling a bit better about the ranking system now I see the improvements.

Chances are that if your getting to 35+ your kills should be around 1800-2000, I don't think it matters about downs at that point as your kills will be going through the roof compared to your downs.

My advice now is go to high rounds if you can & keep doing it until your kills are vastly boosted.

Hope this helps.

Oh, great post there way.

Regards Alpha.

I must have stacked up too many downs, as I've gotten into the mid thirties on TranZit, MotD, and Buried, and 44 on Die Rise, and I am still a skull.

Glad you finally got a dagger though. I'm going to have to try the crazy place for running. To do so, you need to not take any staff crystals, yes?

I must have stacked up too many downs, as I've gotten into the mid thirties on TranZit, MotD, and Buried, and 44 on Die Rise, and I am still a skull.

Glad you finally got a dagger though. I'm going to have to try the crazy place for running. To do so, you need to not take any staff crystals, yes?

Yes,that is correct. Once you pick up the crystal from crazy place, the walls start falling.

So if I try for 40 then 50. I should see the shotguns soon.

Regards Alpha.

Yes, definitely. I did a round 50 game on tranzit once and I got my shotguns the next day. Keep your downs low in starting rounds and the high rounds downs won't even matter. All the best and let us know when you get em.

I feel like this Ranking System was created solely to differentiate players from one another (like Prestiges in MP). Something that was lacking prior to Black Ops 2, and something that is a really good idea in itself, but sadly it ended up as a wasted opportunity due to poor execution and implantation.

Feedback is good. Especially negative feedback. (I haven't come across a single person that actually likes this whole Ranking thing).

In my opinion, this is the perfect "Rank / Skill / Show Off" - System.

I like it.

Like you said, it was a good idea. It just needs some tweaks. There aren't enough emblems; there need to be ones higher than shotguns. And private matches with default rules should count for leaderboards. I love the stats tracking leaderboards, I feel like BO1 needed something like that and was happy that BO2 has it.