Origins' Easter Egg Ending Discussion

Ehjookayted

Yes it was an Origin story but when it was first advertised it said it was the beginning and the end. I don't remember the exact quote but wasn't it "We were at the beginning we'll be at the end"?

I don't know my brain hurts enough from trying to make sense of it in the first place.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gonna assume there won't be a fourth season of cod zombies as of...right...now. :'(

But why? Eddie didn't even get his turn...

If were going by current knowledge I'd assume Eddie had his turn when he was in the aether ( Rich's blue eyed zombs).

I feel that Treyarch is really playing with us, since pretty much everyone assumes that Eddie is Richtofen. There are no solid proofs for that, other than the similar name.

Not just that, but the blue eyes thing, and the hairstyle is the same. It's so unlikely that it isn't Richtofen.

Yes, I'm aware of that. But what if he is not Richtofen, but rather his son? We don't know much about Richtofen's personal life. He could've got married and had a child. It could be Eddie Jr. :lol:

And the blue eyes thing has been said before, the Nazis consider blue eyes and blonde hair to be superior. Eddie just has the same mindset, since he thinks zombies are superior.

Here's another easy example: if my father and I had the same hairstyle, same name, and both preferred blue eyes, are we the same person? The answer is no, of course.

The only proof that's solid enough to say Eddie is good ol' Richtofen is if we have some sort of certificate that says his full name. If there aren't any, then it's all just speculation :roll:

This honestly blows my mind. They build this awesome story in WaW & BlkOps1, and completely throw a curve with BlkOps2. Im speechless are they going to keep playing on this storyline for the next game or throw us something completely different in the next game? I see how this can be a metaphor, but im so confused with what is going on. The comics make sense now this must be where the two got there ideas for maps etc... But what is going on in the background I dontknow my brain is scrambled right now

I don't see what's wrong with the ending. So what if it's just two kids playing toys? That doesn't make the story any less real. That's like saying a book isn't a real story because someone made it up. The story of the 4 heroes fighting Group 935's zombie hordes, Richtofen and Sam switching bodies, the new 4 picking a side, this is still the story of Zombies. It's just that instead of the story being "Treyarch's" story, it's "Eddie and Sam's". But it's still the story.

What we got here was a Mob of the Dead style contained small story that breaks the canon saying things like Maxis died, the characters were even alive at this point, nobody knows who was in charge of the zombies,and so on. It was a riddle solved by the ending explaining that "Girls don't know enough about zombies." Which also explains Maxis' sudden obsession with reaching Argatha to be with Samantha in Buried.

As for people thinking that this is the start of the story... no. Just no. Stop looking for clues where none exist. Origins and the rest of Zombies cannot exist together, and Buried also makes no sense that way. Real Maxis had a daughter names Samantha, Origins Maxis had no kids and heard the voice of Samantha claiming to be his daughter and to free her from Argatha. Then became obsessed with reaching her. These two Maxises are fused together in Buried because "It's just a kids game." It makes no sense and cannot exist in a coherent world. What we should be looking forward to is Eddie's turn tomorrow. Next-gen Zombies anyone?

Oh and yeah, that's cool. She has a HD video-camera in the end. I didn't know that existed back in 1917.

I thought that at first as well. But I actually think she is holding an action figure like the one's there playing with. This action figure is meant to represent us, the player.

Also, if anyone sees the Misty action figure let me know. I can't see it with the Marlton, Samuel or Russman ones. :(

The way I see it there are two possibilities.

1.) The whole zombies storyline is just a series of made up stories made by children. Treyarch hopefully went with this route to free themselves from the hassle of creating easter eggs and advancing the story and therefor focus more on gameplay.

2.) "One alternate view of how zombies came to be."

This map is just a non-canon 'just for fun' map. And the real story has gotten up to the ending of Buried's easter egg.

We played a game to only figure out it was only a game, this map really actually tied in some hole's and set the foundations for the Zombies game as a whole. Take the Mystery box for example we never knew of its power to bring weapons in from a different Era. That was pretty cool.

I feel as though the cutscene said:

Samantha and Eddy had created a game, this game would be the game they would remember once they come into power.

The Game laid the foundations for the game. :D

Still questions need to be answered.

Eddy? Is he The Eddy we all know? Or is he different.

If he is the same Eddy, then obviously he must be at the age of 15-16, Maybe Maxis adopted him to train him as his predecessor? But it would be doubtful cause if Der Riese's radio messages.

There's just questions that need to be answered once it is I think it will be clear.

Let's nor forget that there were various other maps with backstories and factions that came up waaaaaay after Samantha's time. Remember Five? Call of the Dead? Nuketown? How are you gonna tell me that two little kids somehow imagined real life political figures, celebrities, and CIA and CDC agents fighting against zombies? Not unless their mind exist outside the boundaries of space and time.

Tough to accept, but we've been duped and they've used the weakest narrative device ever to justify the whole thing.

The only way this could have been weaker is if it was 'all a dream'.

The whole zombies storyline became too convoluted and poorly planned, and this is one of the few 'outs' they could use.

See 'LOST' for a television equivalent.

For those of you who expected more and had a whole lot invested in this outcome - sorry. This must feel like a real punch in the nuts.

@A Drunk Soviet, just because this map may have some inconsistencies with the story, don't immediately assume it should be considered non-canon. The map has been out for about three days, so of course things don't make too much sense right now. Give it a week and things will make sense.

On-topic, it is my personal choice to simply ignore this cinematic as a whole, as it doesn't effect the story, it only gives us an insight as to how this story came to be- it is a fabrication of two children's imagination. Keep in mind that despite this saddening revelation, this is still a very detailed and well-thought out original fiction made by the community and Treyarch.

Is this cinematic disappointing? It depends on how you interpret it.

All I can say is, with so much background stories and information we've been given these past years, we can't just simply view the ending of Origins as "two kids playing a game of Zombies". It's much deeper than that. It's a shocking surprise, but there's more to it.

But then again, we won't know for sure until it's Treyarch's turn for their next COD now is it? Once again we play the waiting game. :roll:

All I can say is, with so much background stories and information we've been given these past years, we can't just simply view the ending of Origins as "two kids playing a game of Zombies". It's much deeper than that. It's a shocking surprise, but there's more to it.

But then again, we won't know for sure until it's Treyarch's turn for their next COD now is it? Once again we play the waiting game. :roll:

DAMN YOU, ZIELINSKIIIIIII! :twisted: :lol:

But in all seriousness, I think that's really all it is, not to mention how often they've been hinting at something like this. With the story being contorted and twisted it was the only option. But once again, don't let this discourage the story. I'm positive the next game Treyarch will pick up from Buried, and (depending on what side they choose) we will see orange/blue-eyed zombies.

I can look at it 2 ways. Like A Drunk Soviet mentioned before MOTD seems to me like it was preparing us for the reality of this being just a story. It definitely feels like a cop-out and I just hope they drop the ENTIRE story and go for something more realistic since they got way out there in the end with Buried, etc. Something more Campaign feel with futuristic warfare.

The other way to look at it is this. That they are truly Samantha and Richtofen. Maxis's next experiment which Sam talks about actually traps her inside where we are trying to free her. Maxis spends his life work trying to reach her and Richtofen is along for the ride and personally knows Maxis.

Her body would've stayed young and everyone else would've aged, if this is the case Samantha would really be over 100 years old in Moon. Upon releasing her Richtofen then takes the O4 and maxis with Samantha. After giving Maxis a new body the original story line then continues.

I'm sure there would be audio quote that would dispute it one way or another. Does Richtofen seem like he doesn't know who this little girl is like the rest of them?

The way I see it there are two possibilities.

1.) The whole zombies storyline is just a series of made up stories made by children. Treyarch hopefully went with this route to free themselves from the hassle of creating easter eggs and advancing the story and therefor focus more on gameplay.

2.) "One alternate view of how zombies came to be."

This map is just a non-canon 'just for fun' map. And the real story has gotten up to the ending of Buried's easter egg.

This is very similar to what I thought. They either did this to close the story and end zombies or make it a blank slate for next game, or..

This could be in WW2 Germany as we hear air raid sirens. Her dad would be the Maxis we first learned about in WaW, and is working for 935 during and prior to the Der Reise radios. This would make the Origins map strictly made up (instead of the whole zombie story line) as the kids played to pass the time. The issue here is you have to take a lot of the nods to our story as just that, nods to us as fans and nothing more. My other problem is she doesn't sound like Samantha from WaW and the posters and her clothes aren't indicative of that era, IMHO, but could be considered nods to story and CoD in general.

Honestly, I hope its the latter, but won't effect it too much for me either way. I haven't played much since BO, this story line ad complex maps haven't appealed to me like the original Nazi Zombies did. I even loved the story in BO, although it got away from what got me into zombies story a bit.

Gonna assume there won't be a fourth season of cod zombies as of...right...now. :'(

But why? Eddie didn't even get his turn...

Eddie most certainly had his turn, 10 in fact, look at the bed leg. That comment was from a disgruntled little boy just like the "Their eyes should be blue" comment, simply children bickering. What I'm more concerned with and this may not be as relevant is why neither Dempsey or Misty is seen as dolls? Yes I've studied it hard and they're not there. Never mind the other 12 characters as they were just celebrities, and they probably didn't feel like rendering them or something with representation rights.

It's a TOTAL and utter cop-out. Pathetic really. Like I said previously the only way it could be worse is if they used the 'it was all a dream' conclusion.

I personally feel we deserve better.

At least they get the ability to start again on a fresh IP now. Look forward to see what they try next. We can put all this behind us and move on.

So - what are we going to talk about now?? :lol:

While it is sort of a cop out, I'm personally glad I didn't "choose the wrong side" with the N4 story as I'm a STICKLER FOR CANON with story lines lol. Also speaking of the picking a side, this nonsense EMBODIED the very nature of child like behavior, and among many other things through out the past 5 years, has hinted this being all a game, so if this was truly what treyarch was planning from the beginning,... I'd personally have to say congratulations lol. I am however one of the minority that liked Losts ending, Star ocean 3 til the end of time, Buffy the vampire slayer "asylum episode" and for the oldies Bob newhart shows endings lmao, so I'm sure why others see it as bullshit.