Hit and Miss: Black Ops II Zombies

In your opinion, what did the developers hit out of the park with Black Ops II and what do they miss on?

For me, I feel they nailed the atmosphere. I was creeped out and it worked. I also feel Treyarch took a risk not adding our beloved O4, but they did a fantastic job helping me connect to these four new characters. As some of you remember, I was worried when the trailer was released and I saw nothing about the O4, but they helped me love these new characters also.

On the misses, I want to start with the music. Carrion has grown on me to be an alright song with some decent lyrics. It's not like Coming Home, which was just awful. The song isn't what they missed on. Where I feel they missed was retracting what could have been an awesome feature with the music, having three different songs in the same map depending on how one chose to activate the bears. I think the Devs should consider bringing this back in future maps.

I also feel that the developers missed on the perks. For such a huge map, there was plenty of room to put on Flopper or Mule Kick.

Also, wall guns need to be addressed. There's absolutely no reason that there's not a wall gun in Town on Green Run. For such a large segment of the map, another gun could have been added, such as MP40(the Doctor's favorite).

What do y'all think?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel as though it was a rushed, unfinished effort for Black Ops 2. I think they intended to have Diner as a survival map and didn't have enough time to implement it. Matchmaking sucks; public matches suck; leaderboards suck (did you know that if you go over 9999 kills in a game, the score will not count?); wonder weapon sucks; Tranzit is fun at first but after that it's just pretty 'meh'; gamebreaking glitches fer dayz.

I like host migration though. And buildables. And the HAMR. And Knuckles. And Custom Games. And the bank.

But, if you'd noticed, a majority of its flaws lie in the game's core elements, while it shines in the relatively trivial categories (in my eyes). Not a good sign...

Oh well. I've got my fingers crossed for Treyarch to come out wanting to blow us away in DLC.

This isn't to compare games. This is just to say what they did great on Green Run and what could use some improvement.

I also want to put in Private Matches. If everything is kept normal, private matches should count for rounds. After trying for over an hour to get into a game last night with only two people, I decided high rounds wasn't worth my time. It's almost impossible to do. And I'm afraid that if I ever did get it going, some people would be thrown into my match at round 20. And yes, while searching yesterday, my friend and I were thrown into someone's active match.

Matchmaking needs to be fixed. I actually sat for a good 10 minutes in Public Match searching for a game. The worst part? I have four players. The game couldn't just set us up our own match. It felt the need to find one we could fit in, which wasn't going to happen.

I feel as if they really hit it with Tranzit, and the problems I have with it are very few and minute. The best part about Tranzit is that is has so much potential for future DLC.

Grief Mode is also a brilliant addition in my mind, it lets you play zombies less seriously and in a more entertaining manner without having to take 3+ hours to get a good game.

Survival I feel is the only true "miss" here. It's great for solo, but the maps are so small and aren't really enticing. I never feel like "hm, I really feel like playing Town in Survival today".

As stated above, I don't think we can really judge the game until we receive a DLC or two when the real stuff starts coming out. It is clear that some of this was rushed/unfinished, of which I don't blame Treyarch for. It really is the biggest and most ambitious zombies yet, and there is already so much here. I'll give a true review of it once I have the full zombie experience most likely around September or so.

Well, they made a lot of things people asked for. I'm thinking of the solo leaderboard, better melee weapons (knuckles and shield), attachment changer and such.

Also great, that some things are really thought of. Hell yeah, the Town has no Wallgun, which is sad, but it has two box locations on the other hand. So there is a nice chance (33%) of having the box there. Pretty sure thats the reason for the lack of the wallgun. Or another nice point is: If you respawn in the Town, you have no gun, but Jug. Everywhere else, you have a gun but no Jug. Sounds like devs thought about this.

I'm pretty sure PHD is out because of the lava. It would become pointless. However I agree, PHD should be back but just protect you from explosions, not from fire. Another new perk could protect you from fire though. Would be awesome.

Mule Kick is not there, but there is the fridge, which is almost like Mule Kick.

I kinda like all the ideas and stuff, but TranZit is still a pain. I really dislike, that I have to run around 15minutes to do a simple pap. I hate, that I run around 30minutes in the first 3 rounds. Or if I wanna hit the box 30 times, I need as well 20min for that. If I died, I run around half an hour until I'm set back up. That's craaap.

This isn't to compare games. This is just to say what they did great on Green Run and what could use some improvement.

I know, mate. I meant that I feel we'd be subconsciously comparing it to Black Ops, even if we didn't mean to. But I guess there are some things I have to say.

Good:

-Bus is fun to use. Nothing quite like killing zombies on the roof of a moving vehicle.

-Buildables are neat to use, most particularly the Zombie Shield.

-Pretty big, about 2-3 "Moon"s

-Characters are likeable, as always.

-It's great hearing Richtofen as the announcer

-Pack-A-Punching twice! We've been wanting that for ages!

-Saving things from game-to-game is terrific. Storing weapons, points, and even EE progress is astounding and something we weren't expecting!

-Double Tap II is actually a perk worth getting now.

-The NDU easter egg was a nice nod to the players who've been onboard since the very beginning.

-No overly annoying special zombies like George or Napalm. Avogadro is easy to take out compared to these guys, and Denizens only come out in the fog.

Bad:

-The map isn't NEARLY as big as Treyarch and journalists hyped it up to be. It's composed of 4 NDU's (and an actual NDU ironically lol) and a quarter of Der Riese in terms of size. They made it out to be as if they were 4-5 large maps like Der Riese all connected by a road and the bus. The map is "artificially" big, as in the roads are long simply to give you that feeling that the map is huge. It's big, yes, but not HUGE like everyone before the game came out said.

-Removing perks, especially Mule Kick. Treyarch, you were so happy that people loved Mule Kick so much that you put it in every map in Black Ops, then you decide to take it out? Why?

-Although Denizens aren't that bad to kill, they are annoying as hell when you're traversing the fog. Yes, we were told to be cautious when entering the fog, but come on, getting head-raped by millions of these things make exploring your map to its fullest potential impossible.

-PaP'ing multiple times only works on 2025 weapons, and only gives them new attachments. We were expecting a higher damage increase to help in the later rounds, but whatever. Beggers can't be choosers, right? Then again, why do we have to beg?

-The Jet Gun is, well, underwhelming. It takes some time to recharge, and if you mess up with it, it scatters the parts again. Plus, we can't even upgrade it. It's a neat concept for a Wonder Weapon, but there was so much potential that went to waste for it.

That's all I have to say about it for now.

I kinda like all the ideas and stuff, but TranZit is still a pain. I really dislike, that I have to run around 15minutes to do a simple pap. I hate, that I run around 30minutes in the first 3 rounds. Or if I wanna hit the box 30 times, I need as well 20min for that. If I died, I run around half an hour until I'm set back up. That's craaap.

But isn't that the price to pay for such a large map? I like how they made this huuuuuuge map, but we still have the option to player smaller maps, like Nuketown. I always thought that instead of just one map that they should come out with a second tiny map just for fun.

Of course, I love this game and am heavily biased towards it.

Oh well. I've got my fingers crossed for Treyarch to come out wanting to blow us away in DLC.

No, if they didn't do a good job to begin with, than that's it. I am a firm disbeliever in DLC.

-- I like the survival maps, they're pretty fun.

-- I don't like the lack there-of of wall weapons in Town.

-- I don't like the denziens, or the fog that much.

I could go on all day, but overall I like the game.

I know, mate. I meant that I feel we'd be subconsciously comparing it to Black Ops, even if we didn't mean to. But I guess there are some things I have to say.

Good:

-Bus is fun to use. Nothing quite like killing zombies on the roof of a moving vehicle.

-Saving things from game-to-game is terrific. Storing weapons, points, and even EE progress is astounding and something we weren't expecting!

-The NDU easter egg was a nice nod to the players who've been onboard since the very beginning.

-No overly annoying special zombies like George or Napalm. Avogadro is easy to take out compared to these guys, and Denizens only come out in the fog.

Bad:

-The map isn't NEARLY as big as Treyarch and journalists hyped it up to be. It's composed of 4 NDU's (and an actual NDU ironically lol) and a quarter of Der Riese in terms of size. They made it out to be as if they were 4-5 large maps like Der Riese all connected by a road and the bus. The map is "artificially" big, as in the roads are long simply to give you that feeling that the map is huge. It's big, yes, but not HUGE like everyone before the game came out said.

-Removing perks, especially Mule Kick. Treyarch, you were so happy that people loved Mule Kick so much that you put it in every map in Black Ops, then you decide to take it out? Why?

-Although Denizens aren't that bad to kill, they are annoying as hell when you're traversing the fog. Yes, we were told to be cautious when entering the fog, but come on, getting head-raped by millions of these things make exploring your map to its fullest potential impossible.

-PaP'ing multiple times only works on 2025 weapons, and only gives them new attachments. We were expecting a higher damage increase to help in the later rounds, but whatever. Beggers can't be choosers, right? Then again, why do we have to beg?

-The Jet Gun is, well, underwhelming. It takes some time to recharge, and if you mess up with it, it scatters the parts again. Plus, we can't even upgrade it. It's a neat concept for a Wonder Weapon, but there was so much potential that went to waste for it.

This is close enough to save a bunch of typing. :)

Mule kick sucked and rarely would get bought. Actually quite insulting in bo1; of all the glitches that they completely ignored in bo, they fixed the multigun glitch, glitching for multiple guns is a waw zombie staple, then they put in mule kick, which would have been okay if you never lost the extra gun slot when you went down, but you did. So the perk sucked, was a total rip off and downright insulting to have in the game. 1. I am glad it is gone, 2. Bo really sucked.

Mule kick sucked and rarely would get bought. Actually quite insulting in bo1; of all the glitches that they completely ignored in bo, they fixed the multigun glitch, glitching for multiple guns is a waw zombie staple, then they put in mule kick, which would have been okay if you never lost the extra gun slot when you went down, but you did. So the perk sucked, was a total rip off and downright insulting to have in the game. 1. I am glad it is gone, 2. Bo really sucked.

2/5

Made me reply.

Good:

Bad:

Agreed, what he put just about sums up my feelings on BO2.

Honestly, I thought tranzit was a bust. I would have rather had 2-3 decent sized good maps than one giant bad map. The other survival maps are just copy/pastes from tranzit which weren't even very good. A starting area with 1-2 doors? Really? The atmosphere was the same on every map so it got boring pretty fast. As said before, Denizens, PaP, the jetgun, annoying fog, and taking away PhD are all big "Thumbs Downs". NukeTown Zombies was alright mainly because of the awesome atmosphere and good memories from the original NukeTown. I do love the leaderboards though. If they had those leaderboards on BO1 zombies, I would never play BO2.

I feel like TranZit and Survival just weren't tested enough. TranZit is slow. Really slow. It simply takes too much time to do anything, even PaP. The bus is slow, the Denizen portals are unreliable, and it takes way too much time to get to where you want to be. What I do really like are the shortcuts and secrets. The cabin, the church shortcut, Nacht, and the cornfield all are great bits in there. Still, the fog is not a challenge as I had hoped, it is a nuisance.

Survival is fast, I really like that. It takes no longer than 5 minutes on Town to get set up because the box is right next to Double Tap, and it is easy to make a recovery after a down. Still, they missed the features we've come to love. Pushing through more than 3 doors to get where you want to the end, the power, the exploration, the quotes, all of those are gone. Survival is no longer anything but training for many hours while being set on fire.

Grief is fun, but very lacking. other than stunning other players and pushing them slightly, there is no difference. I want more team based zombie modes that are more than this.

I think people are being too harsh on tranZit, Tryarc have worked hard on all of the different aspects of the game, and the whole creepy fog that covers the map with denizens that hate the light, waiting for their next victim to arrive, is a great idea and it works well but I do get the fact that parts are annoying like the whole takes ten mins just to get to round five and how slow the map is as a whole, but people are still being way too harsh and not looking at the positives=

The bus, a whole new traveling aspect to zombies

The new characters that are completely different to the O4

The new "BOSS" being the Avogadro

The new type of zombies being the denizens

The fog adding a new creepy aspect

The new Easter egg, having a choice of two different paths to follow

The fact they took one decently sized map and let you play in smaller versions of it.

Overall I think they did ok, but I think they were soo focused on different game modes & things you can do in Zombies like the Ranking System, LeaderBoards, & stuff like that, that they forgot what made it as big as it is today, Why change whats not broken!!!

-Denizens aren't that bad w/ Knuckles but they should have made it where they spawn every 30 seconds or so not every 5 steps.

-The EE was Sub-Par & nothing like I thought it was going to be. (May Not Be completed)

-The fact that their is NO Wunder Weapon aside from the Ray Gun (that we all Expect anyways) (JetGun is NOT a WW) completely blows my mind.

-The Survival maps, Are a f*****g joke, They may as well call them "Rape Train" maps because thats literally what they are 1 door maybe 2.

-I think its cool how they didn't put perks or PaP on Bus Depot & no PaP on Farm & Town has it all, But I mean Really Copy & Paste of TranZit Mode is ridiculous!!!

-I feel as if they focused all of their attention on Grief, theater Mode, & other game-modes, they forgot about the maps themselves. Grief maps, are no where near big enough, you cant even run 4 players in most, much-less 8 players. Those maps (Grief & Survival) should have all been different from TranZits' maps (I'm sure their will be more in DLC).

-I thought their would be more than 1 song in the map. I like the song & I understand why its a male vocalist.

-My favorite map is NukeTown (Visually Stunning) An extra map that has more to do w/ the Story-Line than Green Run (for now)

-JetGun is cool, (You've just got to learn how to use it) But its still a pain in the a**

-Why is the LSAT NOT in Green Run

-If I play TranZit Solo it takes me almost an hour to start round 2

-Theirs more Fog & wasted areas that Aren't actually playable then their are Playable areas, Why is this?!?!

-Double Tap II is awesome (good job 3arc)

-LeaderBoards,

-Hate how if you get over 9,999 kills the game DOES NOT SAVE, & will not count on the leaderboards. That's not very far on 2, 3, 4 players, 50s maybe 60.

-Match Making & searching, something has got to give, taking an hour to find a game w/out a boner or double boner when your the max rank is retarded, As well as having the seperate leaderboards & not a lobby for each II, III, IIII players!!!

-If someone backs out on round 2 the leaderboard dosent save, complete waste if time.

-Private Matches where are they...

-Custom Games, If I keep everything Original why doesn't my game save

-Why did they make it sound like the only way to get NukeTown Zombies was thru the Hardened or Prestige edition, & not mention anything about the Season Pass including it as well. Because obviously any of us that are gonna buy DLC, will more than likely buy the Season Pass.

I think alot of these things are petty & will be addressed/fixed in the coming months, but when they said "This is the greatest Zombies experience to date" Im not seeing it. These are things they should have thought of while creating Blops II instead if thinking all about $$$ signs!!!

No one has mentioned this so here I go:

Why is there no EE-dialogue whatsoever between the characters?

I mean, since Ascension our hero's have been making comments about all the crazy

stuff they had to go through just to help some random guy.

It's really sad to see Maxis and Richtofen yelling all over the place without Samuel or Marlton or

anyone for that matter even replying. (Funny how it took them 3 games just to give Maxis a german accent)

Also Richtofen.

I really LOVE him as a character, but not as the "all-powerfull demonic god" he is now.

I mean, he turns everything that was once scary into a joke.

Aren't we supposed to be afraid of the Zombies/the power that controls them?

Well I cannot take Richtofen serious. I really can't.

i miss helena siegman :( i really do, not joking, listening to her voice while doing zombies gives me such a boost, such a thrill, puts me in a raping zombies state, just miss her voice ALOT, i think they messed up the private match part really badly, some people dont wanna play with randoms, for example we often play with 3 people and we always get screwed because we have to go in public and we get a 4the member that just sucks/glitches or griefs us to the max ending up leaving and we got nowhere, i like tranzit alot and i am hoping that with DLC we get more storyline (also in green run) maybe even the new tranzit map linking in to green run that would be awesome.