Future Zombies Treyarch Hints from DICE Chat

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The wall fixtures have changed as well.. 

I SERIOUSLY doubt trayarch would go as low as re-building the call of duty zombies franchise from the ground up via cycle, bringing us right back to the same places we've been... 

What could be interesting would be if they re-designed all the last-gen maps for the new cycle, this time containing futuristic weapons. But this wasn't the main game, but rather "Zombies classic". 

Interesting connections, BHS. Personally, with all this information, I kinda have an idea. Let's see what we have here:

• The "new" Der Riese loading screen
  • The "new" picture of a wall weapon
  • An area in Der Riese that looks very similar to the "new" picture

I think this somewhat hints at a possible remake of Der Riese that Treyarch had in mind during the BO2/Ghosts DLC season. Like I said previously, when the new personalization packs were announced during Ghosts' run, some people (including myself) hoped that this could mean that Treyarch would re-release older maps too. Now, let's just assume that they were in the process of remaking Der Riese, aka one of the most popular Zombie maps in history. 

In the process of doing so, however, they decided to replace some of the wall weapons with newer weapons that fit the BO2 engine instead of remaking them ala the MP40 and STG. Now, you might be asking what weapon is depicted in the outline, then. Well, that's a bit of a tough question, but I think I found the best answer. By looking at the HUD icons for every gun featured in BO2, the one that matches the outline the most is the SMR:

7lIz0yj.png

Of course, the resemblance isn't perfect, as the barrel in the outline isn't as long as the SMR, but you cannot deny how much they look alike.

So all in all, I just believe that all of that information just lets us know that a Der Riese remake (and possibly others) were in the process of development before they were ultimately scrapped.

Well @Flammenwerfer the weapon shown in the chalk outline appears to be a bullpup. This isn't a specific gun, but rather just a style of construction. It's characterized by the magazine being located behind the trigger, with the point being that it wastes less space on the gun, allowing it to be more compact but with the same barrel length. The SMR happens to be a bullpup, but the style is by no means unique. Some other bullpup style weapons we've seen so far have been:

P90

SVU-AS

AUG

FAMAS

TAR-21

As you can see, there are quite a variety. I don't think it's one we've seen before though as far as I can remember off the top of my head.

Well it could be a literal "re-visitation," as in the characters literally go back to Der Riese a second time, under different circumstances, at a different time. It's just the same-ish location. Like if for example the O4 went to Der Riese after Moon. Future guns and stuff would realistically make sense if they were there, rather than just cold war weapons magically appearing in the previously remastered Der Riese.

Well it could be a literal "re-visitation," as in the characters literally go back to Der Riese a second time, under different circumstances, at a different time. It's just the same-ish location. Like if for example the O4 went to Der Riese after Moon. Future guns and stuff would realistically make sense if they were there, rather than just cold war weapons magically appearing in the previously remastered Der Riese.

This is a really interesting way of looking at it. The reason for them returning is what I'm wondering about, though. Maybe it has something to do with Richtofen's signature on the "new" Der Riese loading screen, or Richtofen being erased from all the photos. If they go off of the Maxis ending, which I'd expect them to, wouldn't the Earth be entirely destroyed? At that rate, the only possible survivors would be the original characters (minus Richtofen) as they could still be on the moon. Maybe they would teleport back through time to rewrite history? If they went back to Der Riese, (before the major events occured) they could stop Richtofen from killing Maxis and Sam, and the O4 could end the outbreak before it truly started.  Then again, it might just be an alternate universe, too. (or a simple remake with different wall guns) But the image itself does look A LOT like Der Riese, that's for sure.

Edited by gfn21

This.

I could see a game where the O4 revisit old locations under different circumstances, or an alternate timeline, or time loop.

That we get a new story, a continuation, new guns and perks and modified maps, but the community also gets to replay older maps we love on a new system with a new engine.  

I could also imagine being able to jump through time and space while playing a single game, hop over to Der Riese, get in a teleporter, end up in Kino, do something, you're on the Moon, mess with the MPD and show up in Shangri-La, then trigger some stuff and play in Argatha, then jump in a portal and you are in a bomb shelter with Eddy :).  

Jumping between maps in game would make for some great puzzles and great storytelling.

Personally I do NOT want a re-visitation! We've been to der reise, the moon, and SO many other places. Returning there seems more of a cop-out. 

What would be nice is if they did a re-visitation as part of a pure-zombies game like "classic zombies" which would bring us all back to these locations, but under different circumstances: Meaning game-mode maps, different weapons, and bug fixes. 

• Administrators
I think if we're going to a location we've already been to, there will be minimal overlap. If they redid Der Riese, I'm sure there would be a lot of new areas that maybe we couldn't access before or something like that.

I genuinely think my idea about someone else replacing richtofen and thus making history be rewritten is the reason why these maps are coming back in the way they are. It just adds up with richtofen being erased, new versions of old maps and just as a good way to remake maps.

Perhaps the game will ship with multiple story maps such as remastered Der Riese and new locations, all with EE's

That's funny! Yeah no, but they won't do that, too much effort not enough profit. Well BO1 came with 3 zombies maps. I personally think the next game will have 4 maps on disc. They obviously have big plans.