Reclaiming Brains?

AlphaSnake

Would this be agreeable to Codz?

I remember we had a thread that recorded the higher hitters.

If you could provide proof of lost brains then it would only seem fair to give back what was lost.

Just thinking out loud here.

Comments?

For or against.

Here is the thread:

http://www.callofdutyzombies.com/forum/index.php/topic/146997-the-codz-highest-brains-official-list/

50. Doggy II- 778
49. Aegisknight- 780
48. xFaTaLx RaMpAgE- 792
47. ccm404e- 794
46. I am richtofen- 801
45. Pandaman5797- 916
44. DeckchairsFTW- 958
43. MyLittleHellhound- 964
42. Undead xP- 986
41. Zombieofthedead- 1026
40. xStopDropNKillx- 1048
39. Darkjolteon- 1062
38. ChopperNator- 1245
37. Perfectlemonade- 1288
36. BlackOps Tiger- 1290
35. Rissole25- 1320
34. Shoreyo- 1368
33. Tom852- 1385
32. lissa110- 1407
31. Way2g00- 1559
30. Monopoly Mac- 1656
29. BBS- 1768
28. LiamFTWinter- 1770
27. hungry carr0t- 1777
26. Alsomdude2- 1870
25. Superhands- 1940
24. MixMasterNut- 2166
23. TacticalInsertion- 2173
22. OstonedshooterO- 2222
21. Zieghail- 2323
20. Ehjookayted- 2397
19. BlindBusDrivr- 2531
18. Anti Earth- 2618
17. MrRoflWaffles- 2747
16. XAvengedLullabyX- 2754
15. Mikeh12- 2758
14. RedDeadRiot- 2811
13. TheGrix- 2823
12. Matuzz- 2869
11. Undeadwolfy- 3053
10. Niho- 3520
9. Sigint- 3792
8. Cjdog23- 4006
7. Phillips455- 4114
6. Phxntxm- 4516
5. Strwrsbob- 5302
4. Faust- 5921
3. AlphaSnake- 6804
2. Covert Gunman- 6872
1. Carbonfibah- 10669

Regards Alpha.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

Against, it's a different ranking system all together, in the past brains were dealt by the 100s, it would throw off the entire system. Very few of the old dogs are even still active, seems like a pointless chore for the staff. If anything I think starting from scratch is a good motivator for members in our extended off season.

• Administrators

Another thought popped into my head just now, the userbars were also recently implemented and the highest ranks require a high amount of brains. In the discussion before the addition of the new rank we decided to set the brain requirements to an extremely high number (almost unattainable) so only the best of the best could ever receive them. Not saying the folks on the above list are deserving, just pointing out that the systems would not mesh.

i'm against this as well. I like the recent reset of all brains. If you look it's more accurate to those who are actually participating more fluently on the threads then those who aren't. 

Plus to those like me who had brains back in 2012, and don't have any documentation of them it's not really fair. They were taken away without much warning and I don't exactly keep documentation of the brains I collect on a forum.

How long was that list done before brains disappeared? I seem to remember having around 1950 brains at the end if I'm remembering right.

Like the others said, it's probably better we dont go back to those numbers. Though I'll be honest, brains don't mean a lot to me now like they did back than. Now people are just getting brains for things they definetly shouldn't get brains for. Just makes it pointless in my eyes unfortunately because it upsets the balance of the system.

I wish in a way we could give 1% of the brains back, that would be as close to fair as possible.

However, like Rissole said the brains system just isn't what it used to be.  Everyday I see brains given and think that just isn't brain worthy.  They used to mean a lot more to me now than they used to.

• Tech Admin

To be honest, the sql table for the phpbb forum will likely still hold brains supplied to everyone until it crashed. The table is unlikely to have been removed/deleted (although it's possible that it has).

If it is still present, it is possible to supply everyone the brains they had previously - it's a pain staking task but it is achievable if the conditions are right.

I don't see the need, honestly. Everyone is content just having the option to give/recieve brains again, might as well just keep going with the fresh start we were given. 

Besides, in a way, I'd feel any returned fluxuation of brains would feel cheated to those who've recently joined.

What if we did a conversion. If you had 1000 old brains you could have 10>1 conversion.

Honestly, I know it was only a number, but still I had to work hard to earn that number of brains.

At one point it was what kept me going.

When I got a brain I would visit the thread I got them on.

I normally always gave brainz back.

I saw it as a social thing, it helped me to zero in on people who thought as I did.

Regards Alpha.

I'm against this. It clearly worked much differently whenever this was active before. Things have changed now and the change should be respected, in my opinion.

I agree with this. Back then, Brains were enforced completely differently, as evidenced by the fact that you even said when someone gave you Brains, you gave them some too. 

New game, new consoles, new cycle of companies that make the game, new forum look, new members, there's no need to bring the old brains to the new forum. Besides, what post has been made there but not here? 

IMO, if you want to, have a "revisiting the past' thread or something in which everyone can submit links to the topic that brought them the most brains. They would be seen again and those who have earned the brains will earn them yet again… There are all kinds of issues with this but it's a new thought on the table. 

Against.

The current system (during off-season) is controversial enough with the on-going what deserves/doesn't deserve brains discussion.

If we're going through with this, not only do we run the risk of the whole system getting unbalanced, but who decides who and how much those individuals get back?

We would just get endless discussion after discussion every step of the way.

Can't we instead just give a static number of brains to the people who "lost" them?

That would be the best option in my eyes, but again, nowhere near perfect or really preferable. (how many brains should they get, who are 'they'? How do you get eligible for those brains? et cetera.)

The more I think about this, the more I think that Alpha has a point.

I understand the point of it being a new system, and a level playing field but I think if you managed to get over a 1000 brains, you must have been doing something right.

The system wasn't the same, and mods and admins in particular got way more brains than they ever deserved.

However, there is no way you can say for instance that Alpha doesn't deserve more than 9 brains with all the theory and storyline stuff he has done.

On a personal note, I had over 1000 brains and they were all for strategy related stuff.  I saw someone the over day say that Dahniska has taken over as the best strategy writer or something.

His Origins guide was amazing and is a new way of looking at it.  

People seem to forget just how many guides I have written myself, going all the way back to Kino days.

I have 2 or 3 guides in the master zombie guide.  I have stuff in Supers guide.

And I did an Origins guide within a month of the map being released,  I don't mind floating my own boat and saying that it was an awesome guide.

Bit of a tangent, but seeing Alpha with so few brains, and myself as a bit of a forgotten strategist it seems that we have no recognition for our work when the site was fully kicking.

It's great the we have others doing their stuff now and what not, it's what we need.

I just don't think that older members former work should not be reflected somehow in the new brains system.

• Tech Admin

Chopper as we discussed in chat, I don't disagree that old members contributed to what made CoDz, it is a completely different system from the previous system. 1 brain now equals 1 brain, 1 brain previously equaled 10. Artificially inflating brains will not work, as when the system recounts and rebuilds it cannot find the posts that the brains were supplied to so it will discount them and put them back to the true figure (i.e. what it see's on the new brains system).

Now, we can check the previous SQL database for the brains that had been supplied & possiblly transfer them all back but not at a 1:10 ratio, 1:1 maybe (and only if we can recover everyone's brains) - otherwise it should be a low percentage. We have 50 people in the list above and I would be happy to visit it with the rest of the staff and members on the best way forward and what is technically possible and what isn't.

Those that assisted CoDz in making it what it is deserve recognition, no doubt about it. What we can't do though, is artificially inflate them to what they were previously - the processes in place to recount/rebuild topics/posts/brains/signatures etc will only look at actual brains supplied in the system as it is now - any artificially inflated brains will be lost as they system cannot tie them into a post and see's them as not actually being supplied.

Of course people who have done a lot for this site - no matter when - should always get recognition for all they did.

But what about the people who posted incredible stuff after the brains were removed.

Should people who wrote incredible threads during BO2 (BO1?)'s lifespan also get compensation, or none at all because their threads never got brains in the first place because the system was non-existent at the time? 

• Administrators

I don’t think anyone forgets the contributions of Chopper or Alpha. I personally have only been with the site for just over a year and I have read the majority if not all of your threads. This suggestion above to make a thread of your greatest hits to bring them to the attention of some of the newer users seems like a good solution. I don’t think granting retroactive brains should happen though, regardless of past efforts.

I always hear some of the more senior members talk about the good ol’ days and how great they were. We as a site and community should always be moving forward. Trying to bring new and innovative ideas to the table. All this says to me is that we should coddle old members who no longer wish to put the effort in. Even though I have seen some excellent threads from both of you in my time here. You can easily achieve those numbers again; it gives us all something to continuously work for. Just keep doing what you are doing. We should strive to make now the Golden Era of CoDZ!

I have used this site for over 2 and a half years, with 1 and a half as a member, and Choppers and Superhands were the Two main strategy guys I looked up to, so you guys will never be forgotten for your good work, but as many have said...

It's a new dawn, it's a new day and it's a new era for CoDZ. Brains are not important... it's the contributions that count.

Bit of a tangent, but seeing Alpha with so few brains, and myself as a bit of a forgotten strategist it seems that we have no recognition for our work when the site was fully kicking.

Brains should have never had any impact on the kind of "recognition" you should have anyways. If you posted enough good stuff to be recognized, people will remember you. Hell, still to this day I hear people kinda go off about how awesome things were, and 9/10 times I've seen Alpha's name come up, and he's rarely here anymore. Everyone is definitely remembered. As of right now, Slade has 52 brains where you have 20. I don't look or judge your posts any different than his because I enjoy what you both contribute. 

Brains may be well deserved, but it certainly doesn't alter my perspective how how much they have done or should be recognized because of them. I do it because they've done stuff to be remembered. 

Either way, I think it would just be a lot easier left alone. I can already tell if we are to entertain this too long, a lot of folks will go on unhappy. We're all content with the way things are now.

Regardless I would like Alpha to receive some additional brains. Even if we leave him on 115 for life I really feel that way.

I used myself as an example when compared to him. Playing devils advocate if you will.

A brand new member can only judge someone on their medals or brains. I'm referencing that more.

I doubt we will do anything except sort something out for Alpha. I'm actually in agreement with most others on this issue, but I still like to debate all sides.