It's been one year...

Since Mob of the Dead was officially released. Remember all the hype and the excitement? I sure do. I remember being meh that I had to go to work that morning. I remember getting up early and waiting for the download to be available.

Now that Mob of the Dead has been out one year, what are your thoughts on it?

Edited by Dahniska
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think Motd was Filler. Nothing was learned and although some people debate that Motd was supposed to show us that time loops exist it was already obvious that they were a part of the story since shangri-la and later backed up by die rise. Was it a good map? I guess but perhaps the map could have been used to develop story and characters

It by definition was filler, as it did minimal contribution to the actual story, yet supplied us with one of the best maps of BO2. 

But the message of MOTD to me wasn't the time-loop recycled story. No to me it was a truly horrific tale of how LITTLE you think you know about yourself and where you are… And how easy it is for one to forget, what, days…weeks… years? Decades? Centuries perhaps? Of pain and torture of being trapped in the same place. The only thing more horrific is NOT forgetting it, a pain given to albert arlington… 

There are so many things I like about MotD. I enjoyed the characters, the setting, the atmosphere, and the weapons of the map. Electric Cherry was the first good new perk outside of Double Tap 2.0. I liked that we only had a couple of wall weapons to choose from and they were scattered in more than one spot. The new skin for PaP weapons fit the map. The side EE weapons were cool and took more time than normal for people to fully discover. And it sucked that the story didn't clearly tie in with the rest of Zombies, but it was an interesting story on its own. And doing the EE progressed the story, which most of the BO2 EEs didn't do. The EE combined with the hidden coded notes and the characters dialogue, added a lot of depth for players to find. I guess the biggest thing that we could take away from the map was the idea of life after death in the game world (other than zombies) since we are told by the EE that the inmates have been dead for some time. But whether or not the story ties in clearly, it was a good one for that map.

I would love the map if it wasn't for two main reasons. Having to do all those steps over and over each game just to unlock PaP, and then having to recollect each part again to reuse PaP was waaayyy too tedious. It was really fun to figure out the first couple of play throughs but it quickly felt like an annoying chore. Then you have the layout of the map which feels alot more linear and stretched then any other map. I feel like I'm running up and down the lightouse over and over each game. I always compare this map to CotD because the two maps had similar areas physically (even though MotD is larger), but CotD made it a lot easier to get around. Opening the map took time and cost money, but as you opened new sections, shortcuts would open that made for a faster travel. MotD really only had the gondola shortcut that you had to pay for and wait on. For these two reasons, the map feels like a hassle to play. I enjoy it once in a while, but never liked playing it back to back, and its probably my least favorite map to play. Which for me was a shame because I did like a lot of things about the map. 

Mob of the Dead, almost is a completely different experience to me from the traditional zombies.

The lack of open areas, the strange assortment of box weapons, the unusual (and expensive) boss, the many hidden features, and the Afterlife mode all seperate this map.

Individually I would have told you most of the features in MotD would be absolutely broken.

Drop grabbing, always insta-kill boomerang tomahawk?

Self refilling Super quick revive/who's who?

A melee that works until 34?

A shotgun that distracts zombies?

Death machine in the myster box?

Very very few valid running areas?

All of these sound so preposterous to what is zombies, yet MotD balances it all almost perfectly.

It's zombies, in a fresh way.

I think Origins did a better job, gameplay wise, by just a little bit.

Otherwise MotD is my second favorite zombies map. It is excellent.

It has also tied with, if not surpassed Verruckt for the best atmosphere.

Great posts guys. Now I'll post my own perspective.

I have a love-hate relationship with Mob. I love a lot of the features in the map but I do not like all the plane building and fueling work. I also hate how inconsistent the Acid Gat is - honestly they knew you would need it with the layout of the map and it doesn't always work. As Mega said, really good features overall (especially afterlife and the tomahawk) that are balanced out by the map being really hard to train on and survive in. My bane is the Acid Gat though. For real, that thing makes me wanna cry sometimes.

I wish there had been more perks and a few more open spots. The story was cool but to me, gameplay matters most. I do wish this map was more co-op friendly though. Origins re-did this map just a bit better.

Overall I feel like Mob was a good map and a true landmark for Zombies (did I mention I love the red eyes?). Treyarch tried and succeeded at bringing us a fun and fresh take on Zombies while keeping a lot of things we loved from before. I liked the new weapons and map exclusive weapons, I like the different music all over the map and the unique HUD.

Overall, I would love to see more maps like this from Treyarch.

Edited by Dahniska

Mob had the best atmosphere to it, closely followed by Origins. It felt much darker and grittier than the other maps, which I how I feel zombies should be. Following Die Rise, another pretty grim map in parts (mostly the basement building) I thought they were really building on awesomeness. BUt then... Buried ;_; boooo Buried. Anyway yeah, three cheers for Mob of the Dead! :D

I wanted to shed a tear when I saw Treyarch tweet about it, but I'm too manly xD

• Moderators

MotD is my second favourite map of Black ops 2.

I really enjoyed playing it.

The atmosphere was creepy in a very good way and the additions they have included made sense.

When they announced the map I wasn't really impressed but I bought it anyway simply because it was more zombies. 

I do not regret buying it... which I can't really say about the other map packs.

Oh and Maluka is awesome. :3

Mob had the best story out of BO2. It's unfortunate the others did not live up to that standard, but Mob, while not one of my favourites, probably had the best presentation out of all maps. A great self contained story, awesome themes, not a bad layout, an alright easter egg that wasn't forced on you. Honestly I don't see anything really wrong with Mob. :)

This is my favorite BO2 map to be honest.  Honestly, I looooved the wait before Uprising came out. When I first saw the trailer, my hype meters were through the roof. Mobsters, Celebrities (including Ray Liotta!!!!!!!!!), Afterlife, WHERE ARE WE GOING, and more. Treyarch promised us a lot and took a lot of risks for this map, and they didn't let us down. Sure, it didn't do much for the story, but it was evidence that taking risks in the core gameplay elements of Zombies can actually be successful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reLmIEQ2dT8

Now try to tell me you didn't get hyped when you saw this the first time.

Edited by GameChanger

I think MotD is the best co-op map on BO2 easily. It had great balance to all the features, and when played with 4 people the setup was a breeze. I also felt it had the best visuals and atmosphere to it. Origins was too comic book like for me, but MotD introduced an atmospheric vibe not seen since Verruckt.

My only drawback with the map is that it got really boring really quickly. I don't know why, but it seems to be the general feeling amongst most people. No one on my friends list seem to like it. It could have definitely done with more perks, especially stamina, and maybe a bit better design to some of the areas, but overall I still think it was a good map with a great storyline to it.

EE was poor though. 2 steps outside of the actual obtainable arsenal, only to have some stupid battle on the bridge to achieve one of two possible pointless endings. Why have 2 endings when neither serve any purpose or offer no real reward!?

• 2 weeks later...

incredible map. i loved everthing about this map. the atmosphere was awesome (btw idk if anyone noticed, but its the only BOii map that is at night time besides Plaza from multiplayer) The HUD, the red eyes. the tight corridors provided easy raping of the train, however made it difficult to assemble the train. The blundergat is one of my favorite wonder weapons, its powerful yet not overpowered like the paralyzer is. the boss zombie isnt a big issue or hassle like previous one's are ie George, cosmonaut, napalm, screecher.If u ask me, MotD was probably the most successful map they have. I mean i remember typing "how to" on google, and the suggestions would say "how to get the golden spork on mob of the dead, or how to get the hels redeemer". just goes to show how everyone was so into this map. 1o stars Treyarch!