Is the PS4 going to be the new lead platform for CoD?

• Moderators

So as you might have heard: There are rumors which say that Activision is going to switch to the PS4 as opposed to the Xbox One in terms of actually creating the game.

You also might have heard that CoD has been an Xbox (360) game which was beeing ported to the PS3 for like the last billion years.

So what could this mean for Playstation users:

• No more freezing while playing online
  • No more less than 60 fps
  • No more frame rate lag after killing more than 6 zombies in less than a second
  • No more waiting a month for overpriced DLC.

I personally dislike this whole lead platform talk.

But to be honest it would be pretty nice to actually be able to play BO2 online without constantly beeing scared of freezing problems. etc.

What do you think CoDz?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting. Although, the 30 day waiting period and the leading console the main game's designed for have nothing to do with each other.

That's a seperate deal Activision has with MS.

They can switch the leading platform from xbox to PS4/PC and still have the 30 exclusivity deal with MS - though it is unlikely. 

In my honest opinion, they should concentrate on having every version up to standard.

There are no excuses for these rushed ports.

Flip me I didn't realize the freezing issue was a ps3 issue.

I like both consoles, but I still have such fond memories of the ps2 that I'll always lean towards PlayStation.

I really hope that the ps4 is going to be the lead console for COD, but I cannot see ps4 getting the dlc earlier, personally I think it'll stay the same way, xbox early, ps 1 month later.

The difference will be that there wont be any software issues on ps4, and we would get patches first.

• Moderators

Interesting. Although, the 30 day waiting period and the leading console the main game's designed for have nothing to do with each other.

That's a seperate deal Activision has with MS.

They can switch the leading platform from xbox to PS4/PC and still have the 30 exclusivity deal with MS - though it is unlikely. 

In my honest opinion, they should concentrate on having every version up to standard.

There are no excuses for these rushed ports.

Coming to think about that contract.

Didn't they say, back in 2009 when they announced it, that it was going to be for two years only?

I could be wrong though.

Flip me I didn't realize the freezing issue was a ps3 issue.

I like both consoles, but I still have such fond memories of the ps2 that I'll always lean towards PlayStation.

I really hope that the ps4 is going to be the lead console for COD, but I cannot see ps4 getting the dlc earlier, personally I think it'll stay the same way, xbox early, ps 1 month later.

The difference will be that there wont be any software issues on ps4, and we would get patches first.

<3 PS2 era

Didn't they say, back in 2009 when they announced it, that it was going to be for two years only?

I could be wrong though.

I remember hearing something like that during E3.

Guess they renewed it?

I could be wrong though.

Guess they renewed it?

Contract was renewed in 2012

Also the guy who started this rumour has been wrong more than once about some of the things he's said. So I guess we'll wait and see what happens, would be an interesting change though.

I could be wrong though.

Guess they renewed it?

Also the guy who started this rumour has been wrong more than once about some of the things he's said. So I guess we'll wait and see what happens, would be an interesting change though.

Way back in the days when Call of Duty: Finest Hour came out, wasn't it PlayStation only? I don't remember ever seeing it on the original Xbox.

Would definitely be an interesting change though. Who started the rumor?

I could be wrong though.

Guess they renewed it?

Way back in the days when Call of Duty: Finest Hour came out, wasn't it PlayStation only? I don't remember ever seeing it on the original Xbox.

Would definitely be an interesting change though. Who started the rumor?

Finest hour was on Xbox

I can't think of any Playstation exclusive titles other than Call Of Duty: World at War - Final Fronts which was a PS2 exclusive. But that was a very minor spin off to World at War. 

The franchise has always leant towards the Xbox, timed exclusive DLC is one thing but Call Of Duty 2 was only released on Xbox 360 and PC.

Personally I would LOVE for a switch. PS has always been kinder to it's players in terms of actual advancement and well… Price… 

As well, the only in-town friends I have on XBox 360 are all dead to me now. for multiple reasons… However all my good friends enjoy the PS4… 

All in all that's a win-win for me… 

I have mixed thoughts about this. I am biased towards Playstation, so a part of me would like this. But a part of me wouldn't. I can't quite explain it, but I feel like this would ruin the fluidness and dynamics (that doesn't make sense). I don't know. It's just one game, not a lot would change especially if Microsoft have a long lasting contrast. That would be weird, making it on PS4, exclusive to One.

I'm with Slade, the ported copies need to be up to the highest standard and not just a simple copy and paste. I would also like to see an end to Timed Exclusive DLC, I hate it. It should come out equally at the same time on all systems. If that was done, than it really wouldn't matter what leading console was.

I really hope this isn't true. Not only do I like the Xbox more but most serious CoD players (both MP and Zombies) favor Xbox. It's in Activision's best interest to keep the designs based off of the console used by the larger side of its competitive community.

PS has always been kinder to it's players in terms of actual advancement and well… Price… 

Huh?

Are we forgetting that the 60gb PS3 launched at $600 in the US? 

…. Do I even have to acknowledge this...

-Xbox 1, 

-Xbox live (previously) 

-like what 100, -300 for a PS3 three years ago, 300+  for an xbox 360 of the same era… 

I really hope this isn't true. Not only do I like the Xbox more but most serious CoD players (both MP and Zombies) favor Xbox. It's in Activision's best interest to keep the designs based off of the console used by the larger side of its competitive community.

Who exactly do you mean by "most serious players"?

Most "serious players" would have an Xbox because they get the DLC earlier, not because of a preference in console.

Don't also forget man, that the competitive community is still a tiny percentage of gamers. Kids and teenagers are the bread and butter of COD. Not MLG.

Who exactly do you mean by "most serious players"?

Most "serious players" would have an Xbox because they get the DLC earlier, not because of a preference in console.

Don't also forget man, that the competitive community is still a tiny percentage of gamers. Kids and teenagers are the bread and butter of COD. Not MLG.

I remember hearing multiple times that most competitive CoD players use the Xbox. Also most of the world record players in Zombies also use the Xbox. I can put out some names if necessary.

While you are correct that competitive players are not the majority of CoD players, their opinions and feedback heavily shape the game and are the cause of many things that the developers do, like removing the FAL from League Play in Black Ops 2 and nerfing weapons. MLG also gets early opportunity to sample gameplay of new content, for example Apocalypse DLC. They may not be the majority but their partnership with Activision/Treyarch/Infinity Ward is not something to be ignored.

A very good argument.

But again, are the world record holders so serious about zombies that they want the DLC early? They just can't wait? Or is it that they are just Xbox fans?

I didn't want to mention YouTube, but when a new COD game comes out, there are a lot more of the bigger YouTubers playing the PlayStation. Ali-a and Syndicate to name two. They don't play PlayStation only, but a mix between the two. (although for a while Ali-a only played ps4).

As for MLG, I genuinely think they don't bring anything to the game. Fair enough that the developers may listen, but I'd sooner leave the developers to it.

And finally, on the note of Xbox and MLG, it looks like Microsoft pump money into MLG events, so I'd say that's a also a reason.

Edit:

COD is progressively getting worse, the link IMO, is since developers started to lean towards MLG.

• Moderators

I remember hearing multiple times that most competitive CoD players use the Xbox. Also most of the world record players in Zombies also use the Xbox. I can put out some names if necessary.

I think that is the case mainly because CoD just runs better on the 360.

WR players and Pro CoD players will play on the system which runs the smoothest.

And in the future that system will possibly be the PS4.

Well the contract ended at ghosts. and judging by the ps4's sales and overall fan popularity, i pray to god that they will not renew the contract. Because if they don't that means i will be getting a ps4 (yes getting zombies a month early does matter that much to me...f***ing deal with it) and if it does...unfortunantly xbone is my curse. 

It would be logical for Activision to support PS4 as the sales are much bigger than those of Xbox One. So I don't think they would renew the contract with Microsoft, either drop it all together or make one with Sony.

i've heard quite the opposite lately, mainly because of the release of titanfall and titanfall/xbone combo packs.  Hear xbone sales are kicking up ahead of ps4 now

Well the contract ended at ghosts. and judging by the ps4's sales and overall fan popularity, i pray to god that they will not renew the contract. Because if they don't that means i will be getting a ps4 (yes getting zombies a month early does matter that much to me...f***ing deal with it) and if it does...unfortunantly xbone is my curse. 

thing is, this is about money, and whether or not ps4 / xbone sales are higher, the fact is Microsoft's wallet >>> Sony's wallet

i certainly do not see any changing of the guard in that respect

i think that would hurt microsofts pocket book too, because i wonder how many ps users in the past would have downloaded and paid for dlc sight unseen if they got it first, but instead after a month realized it wasn't good/they didn't want it and didn't buy?  I bet it's more significant than we might think

I'd like to clear up some of the misconceptions I am seeing here.

All of the zombie CODs (I only care about zombies so everything I write is related to that) were designed on the XBOX, and ported to the PS3.

The XBOX has 2 processors, and the PS3 has 8.  A game designed to run on a dual core system, is never going to port to an octa core system.  It is never going to be able to utilise the system the way it was designed.  What I have written may not be 'technically' 100% correct, but it's close enough for the point to be valid.

I moved to XBOX partly for this reason, but mainly to play with some other people.  I still have both systems, but would never bother with PS3 anymore purely down to the lack of parties.

Regarding YouTube - Ali-A and Syndicate are zombie jokes, really and truly.  Syndicate isn't a bad player at all, but he's nowhere near as good as his subs think he is, and Ali-A is just really bad at the game.

Both guys are brilliant commentators and would have both systems because it is their livelihood.

The largest zombie youtuber is probably Relaxing, although I am excluding NGT.  NGT are good, but they are never going to break any records or anything....they will tell you how to do EEs, and stuff, but if we are talking just about zombies and a skill level, then Relaxing is by far the biggest.  And he has both systems as I have played with him multiple times on both.

If BO3 was developed for the PS4 exclusively to be ported the other way, a load of people would change consoles.  The serious zombie players for sure would.

We would still possibly use XBOX for parties, but we would be playing on PS4.

I will get either a PS4 or XBOX one close to the release of BO3, and my decision will be determined by the port.

Logic regarding PS4 sales over XBOX one is completely trumped by the exclusivity deal which either Sony or Microsoft will sign with Treyarch.

It's completely and utterly irrelevant to them who has the most users, as they appear on both consoles and therefore sales aren't affected.

However if one of the companies is giving you a cheque in the hundreds of millions of dollars range to be exclusive, that's the game changer.

So I want to talk about what I said before about famousmortimer being wrong about his "insider knowledge" quite a few times.

He recently started some rumour about drive club being in development hell after a key member of the development team left. 

The person famousmortimer was talking about made an account on NeoGaf just tell everyone just how wrong he is. And to tell everyone he is NOT an insider.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=106121033&postcount=1393

mortimer has now been banned because of his bad info.

So like I said, I would take this rumour lightly.