Mystery Behind The Box

Another few inches of snow, making this winter by far the most inconvenient in my memory. Can't get anything accomplished, so you'll see much of me in the next few days.

Anyways, no one was available to goof around last night, so I hooked up with a few randoms for Town. I have been brutally critical of randoms as a whole, but I secretly enjoy the mystery and uncertainty of not knowing how the game would go.

All three guys had mikes and they have the same setup; hit the box early and often, forget jug and others. I slowly saved up enough to get jug by round 6, knuckles by 11, and QR by 12. The three randoms each went down a few times and by 12 all gone down by the box near double tap. Of course they blamed the weak box weapons for their deficiencies. I went down trying for my 23rd revive.

Game 2 was a bit different. One guy got ray gun early and never looked back. The other two got decent enough weapons to stay alive. I had basically the same game; jug by 6, knuckles 11. Except this time no one went down.

I completely understand the temptations of great box weapons. What I failed to comprehend is the urge for them as early as round 2. During the set up stage of the game, you want as many points as possible for doors, perks and such. An MP5 is just as effective killing zombies pre-teens as ray gun, and far more generous with points.

Personally I opt for jug first regardless of map. Afterwards I get the melee weapon available. Even after one hit kill I shoot then chest and finish with the knife/knuckle. Late teens I PAP my weapons and use Mustang and Sally as my main killing weapon. Maps Five, Ascension, Moon, Der Riese and Die Rise I completely ignore box unless it was convenient. Only exception being Buried.

I enjoy the appeal of mystery, but not at the expense of necessities. Jug #1, melee weapons #2, box can wait.

Stay warm my friends, especially the ones in Northern US.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

PA has been unkind to us this year my friend. I think this is the first time I actually had to buy a winter jacket 5 years. It was in the 70s last year I believe. Anyway, unless a high round is my goal and I am looking for a ray gun, the box doesn't play any role in my game play. Especially with all the OP wall weapons in Black OPs 2. Farm and bus depot would be the exceptions.

Tranzit- Colt M16A1 and Mustang and Sally

Survival- MP5

Die Rise- AN-94 and SVU

Mob of the Dead- Golden Spork, Hells Redeemer, and Tommy Gun just for fun.

Buried- AN-94 and SVU

Origins- AK and Staff

I got home last night after being away for a couple of weeks, and tried to play a random game.

I couldn't find anyone with mics, and ended up with a 4p game that by round 4 was 2 player.....however, we got to 30 before I quit, in like 70 minutes or so.

I played as a full random however, box on round 2 in firetrap, got Thundergun.  Next hit, got ray gun.  Didn't touch it again.

Like Jay I like the mystery of a random game, but most of the time my expectations aren't meet.  I just want to find 3 randoms all with mics, who can either play, or squeak enough to give me amusement for an hour or 2.

I think under some circumstances hitting the box first is fine. The issue isn't with hitting the box; the issue is with wasting points. For a player like me (and everyone else here) we know how to maximize points and can survive without jug in low rounds. The risk of getting a bad weapon from the box is still present, but we know how to accommodate. The reason randoms go down is because they are the opposite. They will hit the box once and have a war machine, no jug and no points.

So sure as a general principle jug is more important. But if I'm camping on round ten with no jug and no weapon I'll sometimes take the risk and go for the box. Granted I can survive with almost any weapon you throw at me, but most randoms, sadly, aren't as versatile as we are here on CoDz.

Besides its all about having fun! What's life without a little... Mystery? *badumptsss*

I felt the need to defend the box there. It always gets a lot of hate. It's like everything else in the game. You don't hate the thing itself. It's actually really good. You hate people who misuse it.

• Tech Admin

I love playing with randoms, when you get a couple of decent players it helps sure but either way doesn't bother me. Them hitting the box does, open doors, get jug, get the shield get yourself prepared with a good wall gun.

I might hit the box during a fire sale but generally stay away from it or hit in once. Some of the best games I've had have been with randoms. I don't have many players on my list still playing zombies unfortunately. Which is a shame I've still got 3 Easter eggs to do on BOII

I don't have many players on my list still playing zombies unfortunately. Which is a shame I've still got 3 Easter eggs to do on BOII

I'll shoot you a friend request Craig. I am in the same time zone (and country lol) and always have a group ready and willing to help do Easter Eggs. Be more than happy to get them BO2 ones done for you.

With me I normally hit the box once or twice for my first weapon on town, as the MP5 just doesn't cut it for me… If I end up with a war machine and an RPG, I can work with a m14... Then, I get jug (normally having to buy the door for it), then tombstone, then normally quick revive, maybe double tap if the team is decent, then speed cola (and another door) before i truly start hitting the box, normally once, maybe twice a round… Then when I have good weapons, I stop, and save up 6000 points (at least) then die, come back, grab stamina up, tombstone, and qr/double tap before getting the rest of my perks, so I normally have all perks by round 15-ish. The galas are the next priority, and everything after that is getting a box weapon, and hoping for the M2 (PAP good guns when I can) 

All in all, I don't let the "mystery" from the box effect my game too much… but if I go down with a war machine in my hands you KNOW who I'm going to blame…. 

but if I go down with a war machine in my hands you KNOW who I'm going to blame….

null_zps9db74822.jpg

I must amend to my previous comment. I was trying to defend the box but I think I overstated my love of it. So let me put it this way. I might hit it once before I get jug just because I'm skilled enough to survive without jug for a while cooperatively. But in Grief (oh grief, my sweet child) I always get mustang and Sally. The randoms go down because they can't handle the versatility required from excessive box use. I am that versatile, but it doesn't matter when I know I'm going to get a powerful weapon at way. RELIANCE on the box is bad, but simply using it is fine. Likewise I've never lost a game of grief with randoms. I'm serious, check my profile. I'm 9 wins 0 losses. Thanks to those damn mystery box cultists. :D

I eat the box up, lol hope that doesn't make me a neeeeewbie ;)

On maps with a bank, it keep it full so why not go get 30k and set yourself up early? I'd rather do that than make a crawler round after round so each person can get set up. I just tuck a napkin in my shirt, and eat the box.

And I'm pretty anal about Nuketown Zombies, my personal opinion I have never enjoyed an assault rifle in zombies more than the M27 (my multiplayer go to gun) so I feel like I have to have it.

What I do not like, and try not to do is use the box to refill my ammo, it's such a waste of time I think, if I am low on ammo, or empty I'll get a wall weapon and PaP it real quick, rather than putting the mark 2 in the box and try to get it back out, THEN go PaP it, and hope that my team is still awake :lol: