Don't Mean To Sound Greedy, But...

Lenne

Question

• Moderators

Shouldn't every UOTM since Rissole or MLH (I think) get brains?

What was the number... 100?

100...delicious brains...hmmm....mhhhh...brainssssss.

Ahem... sorry.

Completely forgot that everyone before Rissole doesn't have the UOTM brains anymore.

So: Shouldn't every past UOTM get brains?

• Answers 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• Administrators

From this new system, 100 would be insane. It'd be more like 10, right?

From reading old forum posts it seems that it was actually harder to dish out high amounts of brains as there were certain thread restrictions. So it would still be an appropriate number. Not that I'm bias or anything. ;)

From reading old forum posts it seems that it was actually harder to dish out high amounts of brains as there were certain thread restrictions. So it would still be an appropriate number. Not that I'm bias or anything. ;)

It was 10 brains if you gave someone one per post. 100 on that site wasn't a very high amount, but 100 on this site I think any way is. That's 1000 on the old site. The restriction was that you could only give 10 brains to one post, and would have to give more brains to another person before giving more brains to the first person. I also think there was a time restriction, but not 100% on that. Anyway you look at it, on this version 100 is insane. I'd say max 20.

I should probably ask first if you can give multiple brains to people first. Haven't given any yet on this new version.

• Moderators

20 is such a boring number though... let's say 25.  :P

To be honest I don't know how the brains system worked back then because I never really was on this site until august 2012.

But you get my idea. 

Give x amount of brains to the past and of course future UOTM.

Yeah, they should definitely gets brains. The main reason why I said they shouldn't get so much is because other members tend to be intimidated by high amounts like that, like they'll never get that high up. I know I felt that way back when I joined up. You always wanted brains for whatever reason. Reputation shows, I guess. For the amount of posts I had back then, I didn't have nearly as many brains. 

I was the UOTM boss at the time, so I don't feel like I'm overstepping Flammen or Strwrs too much by saying, it would be 10 brains. Only 10. No more.

Also, it was USUALLY 10 brains awarded per 1+, but new users would actually award an awkward fraction.

But anyways, I don't support the idea of awarding those past UOTMs Or current or future UOTMs. I also don't support the brains for trivia thread.

It was fine on the old site, where there was already a large amount of brains in existance, but as most users are currently very low, one could appear to have more brains, by hanging around the trivia thread all day, and everyone on the UOTM list will have a huge and unbalanced jump ahead.

• Administrators

I would agree w/ Super Mega Megaman about the limitation. Back then, the average user held a good number of brains that wasn't considered extraordinary nor dangerously low. Because we've only recently restored the Brains system, having people with 10+ brains where the average is barely around 1 or 2 seems a bit difficult. I'm not saying that CoDz should practice a communist goal of status quo or anything, but it would be safer to exclude forum games and the UOTM from brains.

Sorry, just trying to make it fair for the entire community (in my opinion).

I don't mean to come off as cranky or mean or anything. It's just as what Grill said, when I had (along with others) proposed and put in place the brains for UotM award, the average user already had several hundred brains. 100 (10 in the current system) would be a healthy boost at that time. Right now it'd be unfair to those who wrote many quality threads and had a high brian count before, but never won Uotm. And unfair to those who had only won UotM once, but were gods like Ehjookayted, Superhands, Shooter, and Tac.

If we're doing a complete restart, then it is complete. As such all old reward systems must be reevaluated. Perhaps at some future point Uotm can be revamped once more, like I did when I took control of it, and it can be given shiny brains along with a facelift to the rules.

Mmmmmm BRAINS!!!

I do agree that everyone is pretty much under 10 brains ATM, Begin anew!

I'm going to try to re-read as many threads & posts (again) as I can, Bump & Hand out some brains to all the people who have taught me so much about this great game & forum. I hope others will try & do the same. Bring all of the good threads back to the top.

• Administrators

It was 10 brains if you gave someone one per post. 100 on that site wasn't a very high amount, but 100 on this site I think any way is. That's 1000 on the old site. The restriction was that you could only give 10 brains to one post, and would have to give more brains to another person before giving more brains to the first person. I also think there was a time restriction, but not 100% on that. Anyway you look at it, on this version 100 is insane. I'd say max 20.

I should probably ask first if you can give multiple brains to people first. Haven't given any yet on this new version.

Thank you for clarifying ZotD. I would agree with you on that point.

I think 150 brains was the prize. Divide by 10 and you get 15, which is the same equivalent for this forum.

Not really fussed if we still keep that prize or give it a later date. Just remember, they were added as an extra incentive to go for UOTM.

Some things I remember about the old system though.

No brains could be given in Off-Topic. So you were rewarded for the right reasons I guess.

You had to give brains to 4-5 others before giving brains to the same person again. It was changed to 2 due to annoyance.

The trivia game could use some self moderating rules, otherwise it will just be 2 people taking turns very quickly. I suggest, there must be 4-5 different winners before you can try guessing and winning again.

• Administrators

The trivia game could use some self moderating rules, otherwise it will just be 2 people taking turns very quickly. I suggest, there must be 4-5 different winners before you can try guessing and winning again.

Seeing as how we are in the off season I would make the rule only chance to win brains once per day, but they are still eligible to play. Maybe a certain Rissole could start a new trivia thread and lay out some ground rules.

Eh, I don't think we should get rid of it for most of those. They should probably just be limited.

I should probably add especially in this off time, more people are probably going into Off topic. Questions, suggestions, etc make sense for giving brains. I mean, if someone helps you, or has a good idea for something, it makes sense to give them brains.

Perhaps a general thread is needed detailing the proper use and rules surrounding the brains rep. system.

I think giving every UOTM pre-2014 brains is not such a good idea.

But I'm certainly not against giving a certain amount of brains to every newly appointed UOTM from now on. 

Brains should be not allowed in the forums you've already suggested, along with Forum Games. If, and only if, the staff sees fit to allow for a game to supply brains as a reward it should be run by staff, who I'm pretty sure can be given special permissions to bypass the restrictions on the games section.

Off-topic is a tricky situation. It was disabled before, I do understand why it would make sense to leave it open, but Deep Thought and Member Lounge are also semi-off topic areas in which a user can be rewarded. Just allowing Off-Topic by itself to be unrestricted is far too broad. If Off-topic was split into many different subjects, some could be argued for over others. In the end I think Off Topic as it is now should be restricted. No brains.

This is a Zombies Site after all. Allowing brains for personal reflections in Member Lounge, or Philisophical stories in Deep Thought is enough opportunity for those who aren't quite as prolific about zombies to still earn their brains.

I'm not sure what this board has for options, but on a different board I worked with a user had to write why they were awarding rep to another in order to do so. I think it'd be beneficial here, or else brains will just end up being like the Facebook Like button.

Brains should be special. Seeing as we don't have user groups, and most of our medals don't reflect post quality (other than hot topic and stickied) brains is what should signify a high quality CoDz poster. Not someone who writes a post saying, "I love Half-Life!" then receives brains from all the people that also enjoy the series.

A high brains count should really signify one of two things:

The post and/or user is an excellent examination of the Zombies Game either for story or strategy purposes.

The post and/or user is an excellent community member or great read and of the highest quality.

It should not signify:

The post and/or user is very popular or expresses a popular opinion (ie zombies are awesome)

The user posts many times in a game or other arrangement in which the same group of members repeatedly award each other brains for reasons zombie related or not.

Personal peave, I even held this while I was staff myself, staff members shouldn't get brains for posting announcements, or other official things. Often times these are the result of collaboration between several members, and it is ridiculously unfair to the other collaborators that the one who posts it gets brains. Also, posting these things are their job. They shouldn't be rewarded with rep for doing so.

In some circumstances exceptions can exist to all of what I've said, but for most situations I am fairly adamant that the above restrictions and ideology will provide the best use of the reputation system that the site can have, short of a committee of staff ruling on the validity of every awarded brains from this point onward.