Map environments & mechanics

With some of the threads floating about with ideas, I figured I'd express some of mine and steal ZOTD's formula a little bit here. Some of these ideas I've had for sometime now and have voiced before, but with the zombie season underway again, figured it was time for a refresh. So, here's my ideas and hopes for future maps to come:

Map Environment/Weather Conditions

- Alternating Weather Patterns

Much like COTD, how we not only had our first map with a snowy atmosphere, but one with a nasty fog that would roll in about every 5 minutes or so. I personally love that the most, the thought of leading a train of sprinting zombies, some even faster that you when given extra strength from Romero, was a refreshing "scare" feature they brought into the map when you could barely see about ten feet in front of you when running around out in the open spaces of the frozen iceberg wasteland. Now, as most of you might agree, Verruckt is by far, one of the creepiest zombie maps to date with the atmosphere between the setting alone, the screams and the fact that you're fighting to survive against undead Nazi's of all things in an asylum. I wanna see Treyarch bring that factor back again. For those who have played L4D 2, the campaign "Hard Rain" was pretty damn intense when running back in flooding rain, I'd like to see a map where the rain pours intensely, hail rains down or even some heavy thunderstorms while fighting off hordes of raving zombies. Which, brings me to my next wish:

- Scare Mechanics

One thing the zombies maps sorely lacked after Verruckt and Der Riese was more scary elements scattered around the map itself. Seeing those mannequins in Verruckt all shish-ka-bob'ed with butcher knifes, the bloody with the arm in the middle of it, the chair, etc. Or Der Riese, that shadow of the Teddy Bear still creeps me out, or hearing Samantha curse you when you throw the monkey in the furnace, the hanging man (in both SNN and Der Riese) stuff like that was perfect for those maps. As fun as the big EE's are, I miss a lot of those smaller stuff that originally sent a chill down my spine when I first noticed them. I'd like to see more stuff like that laid around the map, even some of the classic stuff such as scary noises, whispers or hell, flickering lights in a narrow hallway. Perhaps even bring an ultimate scare by introducing some paranormal activity type stuff in there that spontaneously happens during gameplay, stuff that really messes with ya in the middle of trying to survive because realistically, I know I'd be that jumpy if I were fighting off zombies to survive, and shit in the movies always seem to go out at the worst possible moment, haha.

- Environmental Hazards

As I previously stated in other ideas in the past, I'd like to see the actual, physical map play a portion into how the game is played. From starting rockfalls, to burning bridges, things that would ultimately effect the way you survive for better, or for worse. Everyone seems to have a set strategy that they are confident will work for each map, and follow that to try and reach their goals. While that's fun and dandy, I'd like to see a map where the way the players effect the map, ultimately effects how you play, where you loop, and what is available for the ultimate survival challenge. Imagine a map where every time you played, it was different. It probably wouldn't be super complex, but there could possibly even be those games where it's like "What happens if that giant tree blocks off the Juggernog machine?" The answer; "Oh well...." I'd also like to see much like in Moon, where you basically needed the helmet to survive, have a map where it is pitch black, and you start with a flashlight to even navigate through specific parts of the map, then if you find night vision goggles, you're in better hands. Stuff like that would be really fun and new for zombies.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like your ideas Undead xP.

I think that adding in the ability for players to affect the map (through rock slides and the other things you mentioned) is a revolutionary idea for zombies. However I don't think that you should be able to block something like Jugg or the PaP in the map as this would be a constant by trolls in random lobbies ultimately negatively affecting gameplay.

I definitely think weather should play a larger role as well. I would really like to see a very dark map with pouring rain and thunder and lighting. How creepy would it be to round a corner in a tight map and catch a lightening flash of a hoard running straight at you!!

As for your mentioning of "Scare Mechanics" I completely agree. The game has lost a lot of its scariness post WaW. I remember playing WaW and having kids screaming (and even crying once) from fear when zombies jumped out at them. This pretty much never happens anymore and when it does I think they are faking it to be annoying.

I think one way of fixing this is of course make creepier maps but also they could add in a new type of zombie. A zombie which when spawned does not go directly for any player, rather just chills in dark corners, and is only activated once a player gets within a predetermined proximity. Then you get that shock of a zombie jumping out at you. Also there would only be a few per round so it wouldn't affect gameplay too drastically.

Good ideas. Eat some [brains]

All of these ideas are great, man. I totally agree on having a map where it just rains, as well as scare mechanics. Hell, those would go great together. Imagine being out in the rain, where you see figures ahead of you, so you turn around and try to find shelter. I imagine some fog with that would help in that area, too.

Thanks for the input guys.

Another idea that comes immediately to mind in scare mechanics is it would be really creepy and cool to also add more corpses half eaten or missing limbs scattered around the map from soldiers/civilians before the crew got there. And on top of that, imagine coming across a blood-stained wall with dead soldier slouched against it, intestines missing and all, then after so many rounds, you come back to the spot only to find out it's gone and a new blood trail. Stuff like that where things change as time and rounds (or even EE) progress. I'd like to see some kind of prison map, where there's a specific room where you can see inside a patted room and a seemingly dead person chained or wrapped in a straight jacket. About five rounds later or after a specific EE step, pass the area again only to see flickering lights, blood, broken class and a door busted off the hinges with no chained/restricted man inside anymore.

Now that would be a hell of a way to introduce a new special type of zombie. :shock:

I agree with you on definitely the-, well actually everything :)

There should be things like when you open a door the dead man leaning against it slouched forwards in your screen :shock:

Or something like that. Also, for maps with crawlers, I'd love to hear hissing and claws-on-metal sounds when your below or above a grate or something.

Oh, and the straightjacket zombie was in Dead Island, a total beast. :lol:

No offense to any of your ideas for I enjoy them quite a lot, but all of them sound relatively close to L4D and L4D2. The reason why zombies strayed from a scary 'pop-out' game is because of the franchise it was under. Call of Duty. The worlds most biggest, explosive, and action-packed game to date (besides Battlefield). If the game borrowed most of the mechanics and concepts from your idea it would revert into a carbon copy of L4D.

Maybe if you adapted your ideas into a more 'Call of Duty' state of mind then it would fit in better with the franchise. Besides that constructive criticism I would just like to end on a positive note. Amazing ideas! ;)

Criticism is good, so no worries. I understand where you are coming from, but I'd like to exercise the idea on behalf that we don't really have much of a background on any of the special zombies, they are basically just "there", I think given that we have already been introduced CoD's version of "Special infected" by adding this stronger "boss" zombies, it would be only appropriate to give them more of a scare-type entrance for the fun of it.

Try this for example:

Say as part of the EE or accessing a new part of a map, (remember the nova/gas zombies in Kino?) what if they made it so it was more involved and the crew accidentally released the new type of zombie, or stumbled on to a restricted point in the map, thus creating this zombie?

I think there should be a map similar to Vortex in MW3, but darker and it would be raining. I think the house should be open and since there is a tornado the power would be out and the house would be pitch black. Say that you could buy the door to the house and in there you can buy flashlights for 500 points and use it in the equipment slot. That way when your in the dark house, you can creepily look around and like ZombieoftheDead said, there could be zombies that chill in the dark corners of the house. I mean, its a perfect atmosphere, with the tornado forming in the backround, its a dreary map, and the cornfield is perfect for trains. I mean just look inside of the house on Vortex. Its perfect! I think Vortex would be a good zombie map, but more "scare mechanics" in it.

Criticism is good, so no worries. I understand where you are coming from, but I'd like to exercise the idea on behalf that we don't really have much of a background on any of the special zombies, they are basically just "there", I think given that we have already been introduced CoD's version of "Special infected" by adding this stronger "boss" zombies, it would be only appropriate to give them more of a scare-type entrance for the fun of it.

Try this for example:

Say as part of the EE or accessing a new part of a map, (remember the nova/gas zombies in Kino?) what if they made it so it was more involved and the crew accidentally released the new type of zombie, or stumbled on to a restricted point in the map, thus creating this zombie?

Now this idea I find quite interesting. I've always loved the idea of 'accidently' causing something bad while playing zombies. It is a very possible concept that could please many zombie players. Maybe if they accidently release the Cosmic Silverback or something even greater! Nice idea.

And don't get me wrong about your 'more mechanics in game play as far as maps' theory. I've wanted this idea for a long time. I actually thought of one for Shangri-La where if you kill the Napalm zombie on the bridge above the waterfall that the bridge would catch on fire. After a certain time limit (a few seconds perhaps?) the bridge would collapse and you would plummet into the waters below. Then you would not be able to access the bridge therefore taking the underground route to get on different sides.

I LOVE all of these ideas but especially the moving of items!!! This would sure mess with my head.

Also I would like the map to change (sort of like your enviromental hazards idea), like I've said in other posts I would like a map that changes routes. Sort of like that pressure plate thing in Shangri-La but bigger & with no way out, dead ends or sudden turns, spawn points mayhem, tight areaas with no idea of where things are (perks, box, PAP etc. & maybe they'll change places!), you'll just have to be lucky (something else I love!) giving you a high adrenaline rush running into the unknown & ever changing map that may or may not be kind :twisted:

[brains]

Although one things you must bear in mind, if Richtofen is controlling things would he be as demonic (I think he would but I'm not sure).

Brilliant post though!

I can just pictured a map, abandoned base. It is so dark but has dim few lights through halls and rooms. The place is all worn out, dirty, bloody, and fill with junk everywhere. You hear creepy ambient sounds or dead silence until when you turn around to see nobody around. A zombie pops up towards to your screen very quickly and loud. That would scare sh*tless to players. Or something more creepier like an Poltergeist attacks you. If you to go buy some more ammo or something similar, then a object on the ground flies towards to your screen and harms you much. That you need to run away from and get scared same time.

I just can hear players on headset screaming from all that. Aww, that would sound fun and exciting. :D

I just had a thought that could kind of go along with your environment hazards. What if there were things on the map (objects/traps/enemies/weather/e.t.c.) that would actually cause you to lose the ability to communicate with teammates via mic? Something that would cause you to go dead silent and have no way to warn your team of the possible danger?

Couldn't agree more on these! Especially the first two you listed.

I've craved for a map with the dark ominous feeling that Verruckt brought. The maps seem to just get brighter and lighter as they progressed. I'd LOVE to see something a bit more Dark. I just picture a real dark night with the rain coming down and lightening brightening up the rooms , thunder crashing in the background. It just sounds so cool.

[brains] when I get a reload.

I'm liking this feed back, I can completely visualize some of the listed examples as far as ideas go for weather/environment. A zombies map certainly could use some thunderstorms and heavy rain or even forming tornadoes as well as eerie map features such as dark hallways where almost the only light you see is the glow of the zombies eyes. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Along the lines of map mechanics, I think climb-over points and more levels would make gameplay more dynamic and interesting.

In order to avoid camping on objects out of reach of the zombies, it could be made so the zombies can climb up as well so you can't avoid them completely.

I just had a thought that could kind of go along with your environment hazards. What if there were things on the map (objects/traps/enemies/weather/e.t.c.) that would actually cause you to lose the ability to communicate with teammates via mic? Something that would cause you to go dead silent and have no way to warn your team of the possible danger?

thats a great idea. say like in shangri-la a shrieker zombie screams at you and you cant hear your teammates. that would be epic

I love the idea of bringing back a scary feel to zombies, I honestly want to see a creepier "haunted house"-y kind of map. Picture this, kind of like an intro, you remember, we all had that one big, derelict house in our neighborhood that we were willing to believe was haunted, imagine a Huge 1800's style home with a really big yard with grave stones and petrified trees, the iron bar fence door opens and slams with the wind as a heavy thunderstorm rolls in, you and your friends decide to stay in the house, your breathing becomes heavy, the lightning illuminates the house and you could swear that you saw a shadow by the gravestones, suddenly the lights in the den come on, dimly, but just enough for you to see, there's a Winchester Model 1887 shotgun sitting above the fireplace, desperately you grab it, there is a strange noise and voices upstairs, you and your friends slowly ascend the stairwell, to find a giant bell shaped device, one friend mentions that he saw one in the basement, and there's one in the woods outside, you turn a corner in the attic to see from the shadows glow a pair of yellow eyes, and a set of rotted, grimy hands reaching fr your throat, you struggle with this man, dressed in a German uniform oddly enough, but he's far too strong for you, you both fall onto the ground, his decayed mouth opens as he moves closer to your face, but you hear the voices from earlier, and someone kicks in the door and screams "EAT THIS, FLESH EATIN' MAGGOT WHORE" a green light fills the room, and you are introduced to the men you're gonna have to survive with,"Name's Dempsey, kid, what's yours" you hesitate to tell the blood stained man who stands before you, but eventually you manage to mouth "Peter, um sir" you were willing to believe this was the only one. you thought they were dead YOU.WERE.WRONG.

sorry bout the wall, i love writing this stuff :mrgreen:

• 8 months later...

These are all great ideas. My only concern is with some of the static scare type things the surprise factor is only there once or twice then it's gone because you know whats coming. (like the first time I opened the door on moon and the big saw thing came rumbling through lol, scared the shit out of me for a second but after that I knew it was there so it lost its thrill)

I like the couple corner spawners idea cuz it could be completely random, the trigger has to be random or it falls into the above pit fall.

A dark stormy map with lightening illuminating the place is a fantastic idea. I'm on ps3 but I was thinking MOTD looked like 3arcs attempt at making a creepy map again. Is it not as creepy as the preview makes out to be?

I think it's extremely hard to make a map that keeps it's creepiness. (for lack of a better word) Due to the repetitive nature of the game. I do however think that the exploration concept could be transferred into a multiplayer type scenario. I really like earning points to open doors and buy items and guns. MW3 touched on this a bit with survival but I was disappointed when the adventure part of it was left out. I think strategy wise they could build maps around teams earning points and being able to open things quicker than others to gain the advantage, or cutting off pathways to perks. What led me to think this up is the fact that my wife loves to play COD with me but refuses to play zombies cuz it creeps her out. I always thought it would be fun to have the zombie adventure aspect in a real world type game setting.

Anyway, back to zombies. As said all the above ideas are great, I'd just like to see ways of keeping it fresh and different every game without losing the core mechanics. I think they've actually done a pretty good job at brainstorming and building different aspects into the game but I fully agree that the creepy scary part of zombies hasn't been there for a long time. I think this could also be the nature of the beast here as far as we have gone from everyone being zombie noobs cuz we didn't know what to expect, to a lot of us being zombie pro's and know the basic mechanics like the backs of our hands. No matter what map they come out with if you're good enough to get to 50+ consistently then there isn't anything they could come up with that would surprise us so bad that it would prevent us from still tearin ass up the levels. The other issue, actually 2 in 1 quickly is Youtube. And the fact xbox gets everything a month earlier. Youtube because no matter how good, how creepy, how complex a map is, anyone can just go on youtube and learn everything they want to know. (I personally don't do this as I love the exploration factor but this leads me to my next point) I have ps3. I prefer it for many reasons and will not be buying an Xbox. The fact that xbox gets everything first frustrates me because I like to come on here and read peoples posts, I like to talk shop with other zombie buddies and what not but if they have a month on me then I inevitably read/watch spoilers long before I even get to play the map.

Anyway.. Undead, you're right on here buddy. Good post and convo inspired. I'll be revisiting this thread for sure. Take care!