WTF moment - why don't you like customs zombies?

I noticed this little gem of a response on @LiamFTWinter video for Leviathan last night.

6402d7ef8cb5a02f2516d3bbdbe0b399.png

And it got me thinking, and considering.  Everyone who is a sub of Liams will be a zombie fan, as is everyone who is on this site.

Literally any laptop or desktop made in the last couple of years can run WAW, and you can get the game for like $5.

This gives you access to a massive repository of free custom maps, some of which are truly epic in just how good they are.

So I ask how can someone hold the opinion above that I posted?  I understand people might find it boring to watch a YT video of customs zombies, but then all zombies is pretty boring to me right now.

There's literally one or two guys out there now still making zombie videos that I actually like, and I like them because they are always crazy first room escapes.

Talking with @steviewonder87 last night, he said something that was very true to me - people seem to not give customs a chance but will quite happily play Ascension every day for the rest of their life.

I'm pretty bored of all the old zombie maps, and haven't played them for a long time.

Customs has given my zombie playing time a whole new freshness, and I genuinely do not understand why people either don't like it, or don't want to try it.

Anyone out there hate customs but loves zombies want to help me understand this?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if it's Elitism but yeah I think that is pretty much it. If it ain't official it ain't worth it tends to be the mindset I believe. Plus it's probably mostly from people who can't/haven't played Custom Zombies at all.

It might also be from a viewer point, they don't know the map, so they can't be excited as much for it? At least that would be for me. If I watched a map I didn't know, I wouldn't be as hyped or interested. Because I can't "play" along and think where they could have done something better or different routes or stuff like that. That's is probably the worst reasoning though haha.

I don't know if it's Elitism but yeah I think that is pretty much it. If it ain't official it ain't worth it tends to be the mindset I believe. Plus it's probably mostly from people who can't/haven't played Custom Zombies at all.

It might also be from a viewer point, they don't know the map, so they can't be excited as much for it? At least that would be for me. If I watched a map I didn't know, I wouldn't be as hyped or interested. Because I can't "play" along and think where they could have done something better or different routes or stuff like that. That's is probably the worst reasoning though haha.

I think that's a good point actually. Many people who watch custom zombie maps on Youtube don't even know which game it's on half the time, or ask idiotic questions like 'Can I download this on Xbox?' :facepalm2: They just watch these guys play the maps and don't even consider how insanely easy it is to play them themselves. Like Chopper said, everyone has a PC of some kind, and WAW is like 5 bucks, that's literally all you need, fuck, you can even plug in your Xbox/PS3 controller and play with that. And I think the deluge of dog shit box maps that people see might have polluted their view of just how good custom maps can be, I urge people to look at a map like Leviathan, it's not just on par with some of the official maps, it's fucking BETTER! And the beauty of it is exactly what you said about looking at a map and thinking 'I could do this better' or 'I woulda done that differently' - well you can! Download the FREE mod tools and do it yourself.

• Tech Admin

I think it's an uneducated response or he simply dislikes custom zombies. I think it may be the first thought.

Having played a few custom zombie games, I can say that some of the maps out there blow Treyarch maps out of the water (Lethiam, Requim for example). A lot of thought, knowledge and understanding of the mechanics is required and seriously, some of these maps and easter eggs and superb.

I can wait to get another game in, yeah granted we had a show stopping error last night but so does Treyarch zombies.

I think it's an uneducated response or he simply dislikes custom zombies. I think it may be the first thought.

Having played a few custom zombie games, I can say that some of the maps out there blow Treyarch maps out of the water (Lethiam, Requim for example). A lot of thought, knowledge and understanding of the mechanics is required and seriously, some of these maps and easter eggs and superb.

I can wait to get another game in, yeah granted we had a show stopping error last night but so does Treyarch zombies.

Exactly. Treyarch maps (which we pay for remember) are hardly bug free, last I checked they still haven't even fixed the BS death barriers in Die Rise on the slides...not that I play that crappy map anymore.

And don't tell me people played Tranzit and didn't think to themselves, 'I woulda changed this' or 'I woulda removed this bit/expanded here/redone the whole map'... :D

Yeah, I am truly baffled as to why more people from this community have not got into customs yet. You can get the game for less than the cost of a DLC these days, and then you have access to literally thousands of FREE maps. Granted a lot of them are tragic but there is at least 30+ AAA maps out there than could pass as a DLC map for WaW or BO1. Leviathan is literally one of the most incredible maps to have been created. It actually feels like you are playing a BO1 DLC.

There is no excuse now for being a fan of zombies, having the capabilities to run WaW and NOT getting into the scene. Maps like Leviathan, Requiem, Oil Rig, Project Viking, TMG Castle, TMG Standoff etc are all just waiting to be downloaded. Absolute gems in this scene.

It's a shame to see it but I will continue to push customs on this site as long as people keep making these amazing maps.

@steviewonder87 wants to wait until he has all the bugs and glitches out.  In the last 2 weeks we found at least 4 or 5 which caused some really big problems.

I'd much rather all mappers got rid of as many as humanly possibly before releasing their maps.

As much as I like Leviathan and appreciate just how good it actually is, the glitches really suck(ed) and shouldn't have been there.

Oil Rig is so good that the cleaner it is on release, the better it is.

@steviewonder87 wants to wait until he has all the bugs and glitches out.  In the last 2 weeks we found at least 4 or 5 which caused some really big problems.

I'd much rather all mappers got rid of as many as humanly possibly before releasing their maps.

As much as I like Leviathan and appreciate just how good it actually is, the glitches really suck(ed) and shouldn't have been there.

Oil Rig is so good that the cleaner it is on release, the better it is.

Like any map, right? :D

One thing I've learned about the internet is that if you have an opinion to share, no matter what it is, expect some douche bag to go out of their way to refute your opinion.  IMO, to a certain degree, it's actually a sign of success to have haters on the internet. Liam's winning.

It's been a couple years since I've been on the custom map scene.  But after seeing Leviathon and the promise of Oil Rig, I'm def going to get back into it.

I remember for every good map I played, there were like another 10 shitty ones I tried too.  Lots of lame box maps.  Bad glitches.  Maps that are way too big and open (too easy), or way too tight to get trains going (too hard).  But on the flip side I loved being able to play through these new experiences.  Being able to fight zombies in totally new environments.  The innovation and ideas implimented in the custom maps were often amazing.  It definitely helps make the old new again.

- Mix

I'd love to join the custom scene but I just don't have time right now. In the future though, I will.

So I'm wondering, I heard there's two WaW's, on Steam and not on Steam. Is that true and does it matter which one I get?

Is downloading maps and setting them up easy enough to do?

What about if I wanted to create one? How would I go about that and what tools would I need?

And just a general question. Is there any custom scene for BO1 and BO2? Or is virtually impossible without mod tools?

I'd love to join the custom scene but I just don't have time right now. In the future though, I will.

So I'm wondering, I heard there's two WaW's, on Steam and not on Steam. Is that true and does it matter which one I get?

Is downloading maps and setting them up easy enough to do?

What about if I wanted to create one? How would I go about that and what tools would I need?

And just a general question. Is there any custom scene for BO1 and BO2? Or is virtually impossible without mod tools?

If you have time to play BO2/AW zombies, and post on here, why can't you find time to play a few games on WAW? Don't take that the wrong way, genuine question. :) I'm just curious why people seem to have the impression playing WAW is somehow more difficult to get into than any other game. You can download on Steam or buy a disc version, or you can do what I did which is buy a CD Key online and use a no CD crack and done (totally legal btw, nothing dodgy lol).

Setting up custom maps is LITERALLY about 5 mouse clicks. Download map link. Open WAW. Click Mods. Click on map name. Click Start.

Making maps is a bit more complex, best to look up some tutorials if you are really serious about it, it's not something you should go into lightly though, it takes a LOT of patience to really get to grips with it.

And lastly, and sadly, no, you can't map on BO1/2, you can mod BO1 kinda (basically just port guns over) and BO2 you can only really hack/mod. Activision decided to deprive us of mod tools since WAW (hence why we still use it) likely because they are scared of what we might achieve with newer, better tools, bearing in mind what we have done with WAW.

• Administrators

I would dig customs, but my laptop literally cannot handle a single piece of anything. Hell, I have Chrome freeze just by opening a tab and stay stuck for almost 4 minutes straight.

If (and when) I get myself a new computer, I'd absolutely love to get into the custom scene.

As for everyone else, y'all have no excuse if you currently own Steam and enjoy downloading mods for Minecraft and/or Skyrim but don't play Custom WaW Zombies.

Some people just think, that customs cant be fun, since its not made by Treyarch or they have only seen "bad side" of customs (box maps, really buggy maps) One of my friends even said that its World at War, there cant be custom guns, since they dont fit WW2 game. Made me facepalm so hard

If you have time to play BO2/AW zombies, and post on here, why can't you find time to play a few games on WAW? Don't take that the wrong way, genuine question. :) I'm just curious why people seem to have the impression playing WAW is somehow more difficult to get into than any other game. You can download on Steam or buy a disc version, or you can do what I did which is buy a CD Key online and use a no CD crack and done (totally legal btw, nothing dodgy lol).

Thanks for answering the questions :)

Honestly I don't play Zombies anymore. Just don't have a spark right now (don't have AW) for it. And I'm at a time in my life where I need to seriously focus on it, so Zombies is on the back burner for that. Even don't really get on here much anymore. Just check occasionally for news and the community. But eventually the spark will return, and when it does I would like to consider doing customs and stuff haha.

I think the reason people see it as harder is not due to the game, but it's kinda new territory if they are a console gamer. First they may not know if they can even run it, whether or not they have to use a mouse, and it could be something as simple of not wanting to rebuy a game they have. That's what I think may be the problem anyway.

Thanks for answering the questions :)

Honestly I don't play Zombies anymore. Just don't have a spark right now (don't have AW) for it. And I'm at a time in my life where I need to seriously focus on it, so Zombies is on the back burner for that. Even don't really get on here much anymore. Just check occasionally for news and the community. But eventually the spark will return, and when it does I would like to consider doing customs and stuff haha.

I think the reason people see it as harder is not due to the game, but it's kinda new territory if they are a console gamer. First they may not know if they can even run it, whether or not they have to use a mouse, and it could be something as simple of not wanting to rebuy a game they have. That's what I think may be the problem anyway.

You can get WAW for about 5 dollars, and let me assure you the console version and PC version of it are 2 entirely different things, I could understand not wanting to shell out for BO2 on PC if you had it on console, but this is not at all the same. And you can plug in your Xbox/PS3 controller and play with that, in fact most people I know play like that actually. It's ridiculously easy tbh, maybe one of the mods should make a little tutorial with some FAQ on how to install and play custom maps on WAW if people are so tentative about it.

I do understand though, that 5 dollars you might spend on WAW for PC for access to 1000's of completely new zombie maps is a big commitment to some people, I mean it could be spent on something much better, like a burger or something :D