Campaign Team Better Than The Zombies Team?

Am I the only one who was confused at how (on Black Ops 2) the campaign team zombie maps (Mob of the Dead and Origins) easily beat the zombies team maps (TranZit, Die Rise and Buried) in every way? They were more engaging, challenging but not too challenging, interesting, thought provoking and most of all... Fun!

This leads me to think, should the campaign team have more input on future zombies maps? They managed to create fantastic maps while the zombies team failed in that aspect. Your thoughts?

(I'm happy to be back :D

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

I'll tell you from experience that this topic leads to arguments as it is not clear how much involvement the teams had in the creation of those two maps. However whoever is responsible does good work and I hope to see that kind of innovation in the next game.

http://www.callofdutyzombies.com/forum/index.php/topic/157739-does-the-zombies-team-even-take-zombies-seriously-anymore/?hl=%2Beven+%2Bcare#entry1467047

and welcome back, I know I'm glad to be here!

Although I have voiced my opinions before, as Boom said, on how it is incorrect to look at Origins and MotD and say "these were made by the campaign team" partially because I haven't yet been presented with official statements showing our normal Z-Team being banned from these maps, and also because of how silly it sounds to say that the company is divided up into three segments like the game.

Chances are your level designers, animators, and programers all work for all three sections. I'm sure even the conceptual workers who decide what should do what interchange throughout the system.

I do agree that those two maps are better, for me, than the other three.

I pin it down to: Doors.

In Buried, Die Rise, and TranZit you can reach almost anywhere in the map on round one. With the bank you can have 4 perks, 3 pack-a-punched weapons, and all doors open by round one.

It completely removes a sense of exploration, progress, and survival.

Part of the challenge of maps like Shangri-La and Der Riese and other classics rides on the frantic difficulty of surviving until you can open that next door. Getting one step closer to the Pack-a-Punch, or the power, or the mystery box.

Doors are the gamechanger, nothing else is so different between the two groups of maps.

I like how they didn't go out on the buildables like the zombies team did. The campaign team seemed to know what was bad in black ops 2 and tried to minimize the bad things. I like how they brought back traps in mob and also a wonder weapon that acts like the crossbow. I didn't like all the easter egg buildable staffs in origins but they still had some good ideas like the random perk machine.

• Tech Admin

The fact that no official statement or documentation can be found "anywhere" saying that at Treyarch two teams exist; Zombies & campaign.

So to say one map was made by the zombies team and another by the campaign team is futile and in my view incorrect. Treyarch as a company will have everyone working on different elements of the game at different times. Doesn't make sense to employee two teams of artists for example. One for campaign and another for zombies. Just doesn't make financial sense, the skills of the artists would be utilised on both game modes in my opinion anyway.

I enjoyed all of the maps. Yes motd and origins were 'better' looking, but my favorite map is still die rise.

I completely agree. Die Rise's layout and how it played was great but was incredibly uncreative in terms of how it looked. Mob and Origins looked scary and really detailed and Die Rise, as well as TranZit and Buried, looked really boring.

• 2 weeks later...

Sigh…. That is, A: A matter of opinion, and B: not the so-called Zombies's team's fault…. Tranzit-was the only map they could have possibly made that big, came with the game and was a whole brand new experience. Die rise: Tranzit had (has) so many issues and quirks and just brokenness, that die rise is literally just a shell of transit, but slightly different. Also you have to put in that the zombies team are also working out a new game mode, nuketown, three survival maps, two grief maps and a whole new leader board system on top of this. The "campaign team" all the while had four+ months months to get MOTD ready, and they only MADE the map, they didn't have the responsibility of fixing it or maintaining it. That's the zombies team. AND a grief mode there as well. Then they have 2-3 months to get buried ready, but not just buried, but a turned map, a grief map, a brand new weapons mechanic, the Lerroy AI, and of course: The ray gun Mark two to be distributed to ALL other maps.  Then the Campaign team get to literally recreate MOTD in their map: Origins, given, yes they had to construct a large landscape, a septet offscreen map, a dangerous soldat, the wonderfizz and lets not even get INTO the giant robot entities, but they had no extra game mode, and who keeps regulation on that map? Exactly, the zombies team…. 

Honestly, give the zombies team a break, they're forced to work off the skin of their teeth, while the camp. team (And their little PTG spy), get all the glory. And honestly, the two maps I play the most now, are die rise and nuketown. Given, origins is 3rd, but they don't have very much re-play ability...

Also look at this: 

Horrible choice of actually letting players end the game- Camp. team

Ray gun M2- Zombies team

3 grief maps, 2 turned maps, and 4 survival maps: Zombies team

1 grief map: camp. team

Decided to make the greatest characters less awesome by stripping away their maddnesses: Campaign team. 

Decided to make the lesser characters greater by adding more personality to them in buried: Zombies team

And As anyone who doesn't fall for stupid Benn Downing's ruse: The zombies team makes ALL maps, hence why they are called the zombies team, they made the system, they made up 85% of the ideas into each and every map, not the "Campaign team" that literally don't do anything but make two maps, and not care for them… 

• 1 month later...

Alright I know you will mock me because I don't know who this "Benn Downing" is but who is he and why is he so bad? I mean I know he is PTG and I am not that fond of PTG but what is it that makes you all hate him, I am really curious :P

Also Stop Mocking, I completely  agree with you on how the team works their asses off and do not get recognition, I hope they get the praise they deserve :)

Ok. The only map made by the campaign team in full is Motd. Origins is based on the base of a map made by the zombies team that was intended to be for the green run crews finale (instead of buried). Just look at the concept art and the clues left behind(map hexagon on pack poster clearly has a different setting) however due to SO many people bitching about wanting the old crew back and all, fairly late devolopment, buried was changed to have the box in the courthouse and that after game, and the new version of what we now know as origins began to be made. My point is, the campaign team had something good going. Sure tranzit was a flop, but so was five. And arguably Shangri la was as well. But who cares? Everyone makes mistakes. Have you ever made a drawing and thought it was great, then showed it to people and realized it was terrible? Exact same situation. Die rise was very different and was another out of the box thing, and buried was a little more normal but still very unusual. You are getting upset at people for trying something new. And trying to keep it fresh and exciting. Then you turn around and praise the campaign team for same old same old. It's pathetic.