~How-it-Works Theories~ The Pack-a-Punch

Foreword

Hello CoDz, Nai here with the first of a few theories I'll be going into over the first few weeks of Off-Time. I'll be titling these similar to the title of this one, so be on the look-out! These theories will be about how the mechanics of the games work.

This theory will be on the inner workings of the Pack-a-Punch, a machine we all think we know so well, but do not at all!

The Pack-a-Punch Machine

The Pack-a-Punch machine. A machine of different designs, which somehow infuses our weapons with Element 115 to give them that extra punch we need to mow down a horde of the undead. We are all familiar with it, but do we know how it really works?

In Origins, it is revealed that using Element 115, a hole can be torn in the fabric of space and time and allow objects to move freely through. I believe this to be how the Pack-a-Punch works. When we place our weapon inside the machine, it is sent back to it's original place, until it is called upon again (say by receiving it again from the Mystery Box). This would explain the reason we can seem to have an unlimited amount of the same weapon.

When the weapon is placed in the machine, a rift opens and the weapon is sent back to it's point of origin, while the upgraded version (from a place where the items began that way) are sent in to replace it.

The concentration of 115 in the PaP allows the weapon to be "upgraded" but it never is. The weapon is simply replaced with a stronger version.

End

Thanks very much for taking the time to read this, and please let me know what you think of this theory!

~Naitrax

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, since it is a fictional game with little in-game regards to physics, your idea seems perfectly reasonable.

It explains the quick turn around time. Now, to test it, we need to convince one of the characters to etch something into the gun before pap and see of it's gone when it comes out. :)

• Administrators

I was under the impression the pap machine had schematics and plans in its database/computer that are preloaded that tells it how to upgrade the weapons.

So maxis drew the schematics for the Pap'd mauser on his blue prints. Also Richtofen has a quote saying that Maxis had never seen the machine activated. How could he have known> This leads me to another point; what purpose would a gun up-grader have for the ancients? What other transmutative properties does the machine possess? Thoughts?

I think you're close, but not spot on. For example, if I Pack-A-Punch the MP40, the MP40 goes to 1940 and spontaneously shoots lasers and is then sent back to me?

The Pack-A-Punch is too small to do the things it does. This we can see with the Death Machine. So I do think that the opening is a portal, but rather a portal to the Aether. The Aether happens to be the place that the controller inhabits. And since the camos change often with the controller (satanic camo with a satanic controller, for example), I think that Aether is a likely candidate. Once in the Aether, it then becomes "Pack-A-Punched", and gets sent back to the device from which it came. The Pack-A-Punch itself seems to waver into existence because of its 115 properties, but I think that's a separate mechanism altogether.

One thing I've always wondered is how exactly the gun is enhanced.

In most cases when you upgrade a gun, attachments are added. However that doesn't account for the fact that the gun inexplicably doubles in damage and fire rate. Where is that extra damage coming from? Logically the bullets aren't any larger (although they are a bit laser-y). Think along the lines of the spork. Logically any knife or shiv should be more effective at killing zombies than a spork, but somehow it's insanely powerful. Why? It isn't super sharp or large. There's no visible reason why it could possibly do so much more damage.

That being said the idea of it being a portal is not unlikely.

But how could maxis and porter design upgraded weapons if the controller is the one who changes them? Maybe maxis stuck some blueprints in the machine with 50 dollars taped to it. If I were the controller I'd totally do it.

That reminds me of an idea I heard on Shangri-la about Richtofen making a deal with the devil. Maybe maxis did instead. :mrgreen:

Two theorys:

We know the Mauser came from A maxis... But who's to say it was this one? Maybe the upgraded drawings are from the dimintion of better weapons....

And two:

Purhaps this machine acts more like that vacuume energy thing from moon: A vacuume surrounding two parallel plates of the correct size and material with the right frequincy between them would create energy (used to fuel the golden rod on moon) now look at the PAP's interior:

Three grooved wheels that push the weapon to the back of the machine... Purhaps with two plates this theory creates kasmire-related energy and with three wheels it creates a better weapon from simple energy-transfer, adding attachments as part of it being a machine...

The bulits, golden spork, and other what-nots I assumed were powered by similar means: Putting a spork of the right material, shape and frequincy (from acidic build up in the air from the showers) in a vacuume of blood would help it gain aethieric energy, capible of YANKING a soul out of a body more effeciantly then simple murders... Same with the staffs. The bulits are also individually charged like this IMO...

Well if it teleports to a different time/area and is replaced by a different one, then why doesn't the ammo change when you re-pack-a-punch a gun?

All that does is swap the attachments. Once you have an upgraded gun there's no un-upgrading it or re-upgrading it. The ammo would stay the same. Also from a gameplay perspective, 2000 points for upgraded ammo? Nah.

Looking back, regarding the warning sign on the machine, it might not be such a bad idea to pack-a-punch your hand. One-Inch-Punch for days. :mrgreen: