Is Grief & Turned still affecting rank?

Hey guys.

So, someone mentioned on the Activision forum today, that there is gossip going around that rank is no longer affected when playing 'Turned' or 'Grief'!?

I chorkle at the mere suggestion, but cannot help be curious at the same time. Surely it is ridiculous to imagine Grief not affecting rank? But I was wondering if they had maybe changed the perimeters of Turned so people were not 'Turned Off' if you will.

Anyway... without the will (and fear of de-ranking!) to go in and actually play the awful Turned to test it out, I was wondering if anyone knew if these rumors are true.

Jimmy put this tweet out...

Do care. Custom NO leaderboards, public for leaderboards. Classic and survival affect rank, NOT modes.

Jimmy's tweet IS somewhat suggestive, but then again, he is the same Jimmy who said...

"Set to invite only"

when challenged as to how players can enter a ranked 2-3 player match without randoms joining the lobby!?!..... SMH

There is a video by someone called EverythingPiff, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsTXBGfyKgg where he talked about it. I highly doubt what he is saying is true, but the tweet is definitely suggestive. I am calling BS on it, but...

anyone out there able to confirm this?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cell block greif brought me back to my blue eyes 3 days ago...

Yes, so would playing turned. I believe the slashes/eye color is effected by simply opening anything playable in zombies. I started a game in Bus Depot with 2 slashes, got QR, downed, and got Persis-Jug. When I went back to the main menu, I had 3 slashes.

I'd assume it doesn't effect rank. As Turned makes it inanely hard to not be downed, Greif is somewhat hard as well. Other players could really mess you up sometimes.

Yes, so would playing turned. I believe the slashes/eye color is effected by simply opening anything playable in zombies. I started a game in Bus Depot with 2 slashes, got QR, downed, and got Persis-Jug. When I went back to the main menu, I had 3 slashes.

I'd assume it doesn't effect rank. As Turned makes it inanely hard to not be downed, Greif is somewhat hard as well. Other players could really mess you up sometimes.

You bought perks however, (perk), which would add to your total perks bought which may have pushed you over the edge....

Also I found sometime the ranks dont reset until after you leave a lobby, not all the time but some... That may have been the case if you hadn't of backed out of your lobby sense playing your last game...

If Turned and Grief do affect rank, I think it was changed so only Wins and Losses count.

I played Turned religiously for a while, so more than half my deaths came from it. Than I randomly ranked up to Knife after a high MOTD game. I thought it was odd. I played it a lot before the changes, so I am not actually sure whether Turned never counted at all, or the Turned Wins helped get me Knife rank.

If Turned and Grief do affect rank, I think it was changed so only Wins and Losses count.

I played Turned religiously for a while, so more than half my deaths came from it. Than I randomly ranked up to Knife after a high MOTD game. I thought it was odd. I played it a lot before the changes, so I am not actually sure whether Turned never counted at all, or the Turned Wins helped get me Knife rank.

Hmm... well, maybe it doesn't affect rank then after all.

Reason I always thought it did though, was that several threads got created over on the Activision Forum from people claiming they lost their Shotguns or Knife due to playing 'Turned', and obviously everyone has seen the numerous 'Turned ruined my Rank!' threads on here too.

Still doubt I will be going to play it anytime soon though... 'Turned' is terrible in my opinion. Tried it twice and doubt I would EVER try it again.

Will try looking at some older posts on this.

this post is prettty much proof that no one reads the turned subforum. I made a topic about 3 weeeks ago w/ proof that it doesnt affect rank. im surprised no one has linked it. I cant because im on xbox atm. It started as wins would count. Kind of like league play. after that tweeet their was a change where it doesnt count at all. Iwill tell u my personal story if Iget a real keyboard and not his fake xbox 1

this post is prettty much proof that no one reads the turned subforum. I made a topic about 3 weeeks ago w/ proof that it doesnt affect rank.

No disrespect intended mate, but I am looking for more than just your opinion on this, and YES, I did read your post.

You say "w/proof" yet there is people who say they HAVE been de-ranked from playing, so I am not just going to go by your post alone as proof. Sorry.

I am also reaching out to people who play Grief, to see if it is the case with that game mode also.

If several people come forward and say it definitely does not, then fair enough... but for your own proof, there is several who will completely disagree with you.

tally's and eyes are NOT rank... just an indication of how often you've played recently. I've had some terrible grief games recently and havent ranked down... idk but i think its true that only survival/tranzit mode affects ranking (might explain why i am at skull and knife rank even though my k/d overall ratio is 69

this post is prettty much proof that no one reads the turned subforum. I made a topic about 3 weeeks ago w/ proof that it doesnt affect rank.

No disrespect intended mate, but I am looking for more than just your opinion on this, and YES, I did read your post.

You say "w/proof" yet there is people who say they HAVE been de-ranked from playing, so I am not just going to go by your post alone as proof. Sorry.

I am also reaching out to people who play Grief, to see if it is the case with that game mode also.

If several people come forward and say it definitely does not, then fair enough... but for your own proof, there is several who will completely disagree with you.

How do you know people are not lying? Or they are telling the truth but they ranked up before the change. I to have been told that people have ranked up from grief/turned. i ask when and they usually say months ago. Give me solid evidence that people have been deranked from grief and turned but untill thenmy evidence prooves that its true that you cant be deranked. And the reason im probably w/ proof is that 90% of shotgun ranks are to much of a pansy t9o play it. Oh yea, no dis respect

How do you know people are not lying? Or they are telling the truth but they ranked up before the change.

And how do I know you are not lying. I don't know you from Adam, and I am not going to take one persons opinion over more who disagree.

I am just looking for a collective of opinions. I read your post and it is vague at best. You are the only person to post in it that made the claim.

I have saw a user 'ItchyTrigger0' rank all the way to shotguns playing only Grief. He does not play anything else... nothing.

So... if he ranked up playing only Grief, and I saw this myself as he is on my friends list, then I am inclined to believe that it does, than from someone who swears blindly it does not.

EDIT: Please note though, that it was partially YOUR post that made me look into it more. There has been several posts on the Activision forum from people saying they lost their knife or shotguns through playing 'Turned', and if several people say this is the case, why should I not take consideration into it? You did not post factual evidence... just your opinion based on your own games. I am not looking to turn this into an argument with you though, so I will wait and see what others say on this.

I just want to say that Grief for sure affects your rank. I lost my shotguns once as a result of a poor match. About two matches later of hardcore Griefing, it went back up.

How long ago was this Infest? I am trying to establish if they have actually changed this recently, as the tweet and BSZ is claiming, or if Jimmy is just out of the loop, when it comes to the technical sides of the game.

He definitely got the 'Invite Only' deal wrong, and I am trying to see if anyone knows if, since introducing 'Grief' without Jug on MotD, that maybe they changed the stipulations in order to attract more users over to these game modes.

If they DID change the rules, you would think that they would have announced it somewhat more that just a vague tweet.

It was a good while ago; I believe around December because I was in a lobby with some friendly randoms and we were all having a blast talking smack on one another. It was a public lobby, should I mention.

Cool. So the general census is that it definitely DID affect a players rank at one point in time, but that may have changed somewhere down the line.

Well, if we only have this one text from Jimmy to go by, I am going to have to remain cautious on this matter.

From what BSZ said in his own 'Turned' thread, he took over 100 downs in one day. I would expect that to de-rank ANYONE, and if it did not affect his ranking, then possibly only 'Turned' has been changed.

I would really love some clarity from the Dev's on this one though. :(

How do you know people are not lying? Or they are telling the truth but they ranked up before the change.

And how do I know you are not lying. I don't know you from Adam, and I am not going to take one persons opinion over more who disagree.

I am just looking for a collective of opinions. I read your post and it is vague at best. You are the only person to post in it that made the claim.

I have saw a user 'ItchyTrigger0' rank all the way to shotguns playing only Grief. He does not play anything else... nothing.

So... if he ranked up playing only Grief, and I saw this myself as he is on my friends list, then I am inclined to believe that it does, than from someone who swears blindly it does not.

When have I lied before? Every time someone thinks I'm lying on this site, I prove them wrong (or at least prove that I'm not lying). Juggernog Pro is a prime example. No one believed that you could have it after round 15, but I was still saying you could have it. A few days later someone else agreed with me and then people started to see I wasn't lying.

I HATE people that lie, so I'm not going to do it myself. I hate people that make fake videos. That was one of the contributing factors to me starting my youtube channel.

But for a reference, when did this ItchyTrigger guy get his shotguns EXACTLY? At least narrow it down to a week if you can't narrow it down to a day.

And two more things:

One, I was vague for a reason. Like I said, I was on my xbox and trying to type on that thing is pretty bad and I couldn't even found out how to do enter because their enter is labeled done.

Two,

Hmm... well, maybe it doesn't affect rank then after all.

Reason I always thought it did though, was that several threads got created over on the Activision Forum from people claiming they lost their Shotguns or Knife due to playing 'Turned', and obviously everyone has seen the numerous 'Turned ruined my Rank!' threads on here too.

Still doubt I will be going to play it anytime soon though... 'Turned' is terrible in my opinion. Tried it twice and doubt I would EVER try it again.

Will try looking at some older posts on this.

What I highlighted in green is you saying that it -Im guessing you are referring to turned- doesn't affect rank then after all. And then you go ahead after I posted my topic saying it does. So when you are trying to win an argument, switching sides doesn't help that much at all. I think your natural instinct to defend your self against my "attack" (saying this is proof that people don't read the turned subforum) on you. When it wasn't even directed towards you. It was directed at anybody that posted or read this topic. But it doesn't mean you are an evil person or whatever. I don't read the site news or almost any other subforum besides the Black Ops 2 section.

Now let me tel you what I assume to be true. This is backed up with evidence, but from a small pool.

In the beginning: When their was only grief, it counted towards your rank. If you did bad no matter if it was grief/survival/tranzit you were not going to get a good rank, but if you did well you would rank up. This was when kd played a huge determining factor in your rank. I have one friend that played grief only (top 100 in farm) and has shotguns now. (Additional facts, EverythingPiff did a grief tourny where loads of people were deranked at this time, more info later)

Towards the middle: This is when turned was introduced along with die rise. This is when people started to think that the ranking system was changed or tweaked. Turned would kill your kd. But it didn't matter as long as you won the game. This transfered over to grief as well. As long as you won it doesn't matter what path you took to the gold, as long as you got there (in this case Im talking about winning). The only proof I had of that- since none of my friends really play turned and the friend that I had that played grief now plays multiplayer solely- was when I was in a twitch livestream and someone was saying that I had shotguns and only played turned. I didn't believe him but when I look at the leaderboards I found his name and he, like a lot of the other people in the top 100, had shotguns. So I ASSUME that winning would give you shotguns if you won a lot.

The END: This period is after Jimmy's tweak saying he cares and that normal and survival counts but not other things (paraphrase). I didn't know what this meant at first and really didn't even care but then I saw a video explaining it. I didn't believe it but I wanted to test some things out. So I went into a turned game and played it very cautiously. Did the experiments I wanted to do in that game and then when it was over closed my eyes and opened them to see my rank hadn't changed. I would also like to point out by this time I had gained my shotguns multiple times. So I really didn't care if I lost them Because I knew I could get them back. So I played some turned. Then played more, and more, and more. But never lost them. I gained over 500 downs from turned but did not lose them.

Now back to EverythingPiff and his grief tournys. Piff decided to do a grief tourny on cell block. This was around the time during or after Jimmy's tweet. No one reported a loss of rank. Especially the refs which were the ones that got the most downs because it was a 3v3 and they would down themselves every round to keep it fair. these refs gained over a 100 downs in GRIEF and not turned. Which is a tiny bit of evidence that proves that the rank can't be loss from grief and turned.

Two more things:

One, Im sorry for the multiple gramatical mistakes in my two previous posts, they were written on xbox and they didn't format the way I thought they did.

Second, It MAY be possible for a person to rank UP from a grief match but I STRONGLY believe that you can't be deranked. I am going to test this out. Here's how:

I lost my shotguns multiple times. I have lost them 2 times from motd. The first time was when I thought that you HAD to have the key next to the mp5 to get the extra 20 zombies on round 1. The second time was yesterday when I tried abour 40 games to get the retriever by round 2. Both times resulted in me losing rank because I left. But it was super easy to get my shotties back super quick since it was a tiny thing that caused me to lose them. I just provoked that change now for the third time. I just went into about 3-5 games and backed out after reviving myself so now I am knife. I am going to do a few games of grief and if I don't rank up that will be some more "evidence" that you can't be ranked up from grief.

edit: this post took a wrong time to write even with a good keyboard ;) So after seeing infest's post he gives some more evidence to someone saying that grief works, but instead it was actually a long time ago (before the change) when it worked.

Look mate, I already said I am not looking to get into an argument with you on this, but what makes you so special? You said...

"When have I ever lied?"

I already said I DON'T KNOW YOU, except from posting on this forum, so I do not necessarily take your word for anything and everything.

Now... you said it does not affect rank, and others have said otherwise. Why should I take your word for it over them then? Because you are a regular poster? I have seen regular posters get it spectacularly wrong in the past, so why is this any different?

I also said I am looking for a collective opinion, so you have given me yours, and I have accepted it could indeed be the case that you are right in replies to Infest.

Now that I have your opinion on it, I will wait and see what others say.

Thanks for the input.

Look mate, I already said I am not looking to get into an argument with you on this, but what makes you so special? You said...

"When have I ever lied?"

I already said I DON'T KNOW YOU, except from posting on this forum, so I do not necessarily take your word for anything and everything.

Now... you said it does not affect rank, and others have said otherwise. Why should I take your word for it over them then? Because you are a regular poster? I have seen regular posters get it spectacularly wrong in the past, so why is this any different?

I also said I am looking for a collective opinion, so you have given me yours, and I have accepted it could indeed be the case that you are right in replies to Infest.

Now that I have your opinion on it, I will wait and see what others say.

Thanks for the input.

What makes me special? nothing really. Im just giving out the facts.

I don't know you either. I don't expect you to just take my word if it was only that. But it isn't, I have given a lot of facts behind my "word" rather you think it does or doesn't.

Most of the posts on this thread have either been talking about what USED to be or their tallies. I have been saying that it can't derank you.

And why are you looking for a collective opinion? You need collective fact.

And this is exactly why I don't make long threads. I don't get support that other people get but what I get is people taking a tiny piece of it and skewing it how they want it.

No need to 'Spit the dummy' man.

Because I am. Why is this an issue for you? I want to know how many respectable people can confirm this. You have been one to confirm it from your point of view, but that does NOT make it fact.

I understand why you are pushing it as fact though. You played 'Turned' and it looked to you that it does NOT affect rank. Cool.

Problem is, others have reported otherwise, and some are people I consider respectable members of this community.

Now... you are saying it changed in a recent patch, yes? Well, there is NOTHING in the patch notes to suggest this happened, and apart from a vague tweet from a possibly unreliable Jimmy, then what else is there to confirm this as fact?

Do you have this match on 'Turned' uploaded anywhere for me to see? If not, then your word is not fact!

Eitherway, I think we should end this debate between each other. It is getting a little non-constructive.

No need to 'Spit the dummy' man.

Because I am. Why is this an issue for you? I want to know how many respectable people can confirm this. You have been one to confirm it from your point of view, but that does NOT make it fact.

I understand why you are pushing it as fact though. You played 'Turned' and it looked to you that it does NOT affect rank. Cool.

Problem is, others have reported otherwise, and some are people I consider respectable members of this community.

Now... you are saying it changed in a recent patch, yes? Well, there is NOTHING in the patch notes to suggest this happened, and apart from a vague tweet from a possibly unreliable Jimmy, then what else is there to confirm this as fact?

Do you have this match on 'Turned' uploaded anywhere for me to see? If not, then your word is not fact!

Eitherway, I think we should end this debate between each other. It is getting a little non-constructive.

Who has reported otherwise? when, where, and what did the report.

Crap I forgot it wasn't mentioned in the patch notes like everything is. I forgot thats where everyone found out about the secreat perma perks.

What match, I got a match of turned still. And if you want, you can look through my theatre of recent games. if there isn't any of them left because of other games clogging up my space, then Il get my shotgun rank and play some more turned and you can see then.

This debate is constructive. And I don't think it should be ended.

Crap I forgot it wasn't mentioned in the patch notes like everything is. I forgot thats where everyone found out about the secreat perma perks.

I would expect something major like a change in how 'Turned' would no longer affect ranking as something the Dev's would actually go out their way to announce, seeing as no one plays it, and it is considered a failure on their part.

Are you actually going to be that way about this then? Nit picking at little things?

All I am asking is for peoples own opinions, you have given me yours and I have taken it in, can you please just let it go now.

You will not convince me anymore than you have so far, but if you really want to add evidence to back up what is essentially just YOUR word, then yes, get into 'Turned', take 100 downs, then post the videos up somewhere.

Then people can take your word as fact.

So do you want 4 different games, or can I try and get 50 downs in 2 games? And does theatre count where I speed it up by 2x? Because I don't have access to my hd roxio atm and I wouldn't be able to record my rank before and after sadly. So I need to know the criteria that YOU make up that will make this pure FACT.

And yes I don't think they will come out and say they changed it when they never told us the real formula. Multiple people that I TRUST and you probably do to have mentioned that there has been changes.

tally's and eyes are NOT rank... just an indication of how often you've played recently. I've had some terrible grief games recently and havent ranked down... idk but i think its true that only survival/tranzit mode affects ranking (might explain why i am at skull and knife rank even though my k/d overall ratio is 69

Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but don't you need Blue Eyes to up from Skull - Knife or Knife - Shotguns? If so, it technically would be considered rank because it's a perquisite to leveling up. I'm not sure if you do or not, but I've heard you need them.