Terminology That Offends...

Nice of you to misquote my post and make it out as though I was laughing at the word rape.

I'm so sorry if you disagree with my comedic nature, but I'm clearly not laughing at the word, matter of fact, I make a point initially in my post that certain words should be omitted.

This is a big grey area, in my eyes. How far must consideration and respect be taken before it's considered censorship?

If anyone feels they can adequately put that debate to bed, you should not be spending your time here, but should be campagining for some government office.

That's my main point here, though it was not clearly said in my previous post, only hinted at for those with intelligence to read between the lines and see.

We're crossing into terrain that is far too serious and controversial. This will only lead to heated debate and arguments. I'd prefer to focus on the entertainment aspects of this game, thus I try to make everyone laugh, as I do with a funny anecdote to changing an offensive and sexist term into another offensive and sexist term just aimed at the opposite sex. Rape Train beocomes Shooting Your Wad...Hahaha.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I think a context should be always considered. Of course no one is referring to sexual abuse when they say rape train. And people should not take it as some one is disrespecting rape victims. Because you know what that person means. But yeah its pretty stupid term...

Word rape can be used in a context of just some one taking advantage of you. In this case zombies.

• Administrators

What a bunch of overprivileged hypersenitive self important Americans. WHO GIVE A S@#% ITS A GAME!!!!!

You people are exactly what is wrong with this great country!!!

We are oversensitive for simply asking the public to coin a different term for training, yet you are outraged enough to call us out insultingly? You don't see irony like that everyday.

And yes, I'm quite sure that us trying to fix a name for a video game is the reason why "this country" is wrong. Might I add that a good amount of users here aren't from America.

If you have nothing nice to say, then simply don't say anything. I understand you disagree, but an attitude like that isn't very...professional.

What a bunch of overprivileged hypersenitive self important Americans. WHO GIVE A S@#% ITS A GAME!!!!!

You people are exactly what is wrong with this great country!!!

DUDE SERIOUSLY! I thoink im one of the relarively few americans on here soooo quit being a jerk i agree it dont really matte r but..i also understand how it could be upsetting to some :evil: :evil:

I have had two of my grandparents die of cancer. They were both very important to me, and it was a very tough thing to go through... TWICE. Yet, if someone makes a joke about cancer or uses the term "cancer" as a metaphor I don't get all bent out of shape and expect everyone to censor themselves for me.

I also had a very close family member that was the victim of molestation... yet I can laugh all day at molestation jokes. Is it because I don't think it's a serious matter? Of course not... I would like to kill the guy that did it. But things lose power over us if we can laugh about them.

I also knew 4 different people who were murdered when I was young. So what if I said that the username "MurderMachineX" is highly offensive to me? Why is Murder okay to reference, even calling yourself a machine of murder.... yet to use the word "Rape" in a context that has absolutely nothing at all to do with anything sexual unacceptable?

Either everything is fair game or nothing is. You can't pick and choose. You can't say "Well, the word that offends me is more important than the word that offends you because it sometimes relates to females." What difference does it make what gender it relates to? You're offended by "rape" he's offended by "twat"... one can't be more important than the other. Offensive is offensive.

I had more points to make, but there's no use in bothering because people make a hobby out of being offended and expecting the world to cater to what bothers them and there's no changing that.... I'll just end by saying this; If Syndicate or any other commentator (or anyone at all, for that matter) changed their words to cater to some uptight politically correct whiners, I would lose a ton of respect for them.

True the world doesn't bend to comfort everyone, and yes I believe being able to laugh at light hearted references to some darker topics (Rape, Cancer, Etc) is probably better for everyone involved.

However, the world could be a much better place if we learned to just not use some words that are offensive by nature, simply out of respect to those that have a hard time coping, or perhaps do not have the best sense of humor. We don't need to use the word rape. We can use running loops, circles, routes, looping, running, etc. All of which do not have offensive material directly tied to their definition. No one would bat an eye if you told them you were the victim of looping, or running. But if you replaced those words with rape, then you'd have a much different reaction, so here on this site I believe it is only fair of us (the users, the staff, and I) to request that you use some other term to describe the method of zombie collection that involves constant motion.

As far as your point of Murder in MurderMachineX being offensive, I do not have a good reason as to why that is more acceptable, and if it does offend someone, I would certainly hope it would be brought up with myself, MMX, or another staff member. You do have to realize and accept that in no way whatsoever does my inability to provide an excuse for Murder in MurderMachine, discredit my argument against, or excuse the usage of the term Rape.

Not to come of as a jerk or anything, but why is this even still an active topic up for debate? Bottom line is simple; no one here has hopped on CoDz, and straight up said "Anyone ready to rape some zombies?" because if at all, people usually say something around those lines in game, and they obviously mean it in the sense of kicking some ass and having fun, not literally, raping a rotting corpse... (of course unless you start tea-bagging them, I guess) Take it as you will, but if there's anything someone says that offends you, simply state your feelings on the term, and leave it at that. If anything like that happens on CoDz that becomes a genuine issue, we'll take care of it.

I also knew 4 different people who were murdered when I was young. So what if I said that the username "MurderMachineX" is highly offensive to me? Why is Murder okay to reference, even calling yourself a machine of murder.... yet to use the word "Rape" in a context that has absolutely nothing at all to do with anything sexual unacceptable?

On forums I previously visited, I had my name as Mystery rather than Murder, because I empathized with people when they were offended. However, my primary objective here is a game where I constantly kill zombies, so I thought Murder fit. Not once have I had a complaint that it was offensive. Where I did receive a complaint, I changed it. But no one here has said anything.

Not to come of as a jerk or anything, but why is this even still an active topic up for debate?

forum (ˈfɔːrəm)

— n , pl -rums , -ra

1.a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest

2.a medium for open discussion, such as a magazine

3.a public meeting place for open discussion

4.a court; tribunal

Not to be rude but this is an acceptable discussion for this venue. We don't need mods to "take care of this" this is an open civil conversation which has not devolved into a flame war.

Im sorry let me rephase that

What a bunch of overprivileged hypersenitive self important TWATS. WHO GIVE A S@#% ITS A GAME!!!!!

You people are exactly what is wrong with this world!!!! If you would only pull your heads out of your a$$$$ long enough to see how stupid this topic is about a game you might know true irony.

i thought ninezerowill may have been booted from the site after a post elsewhere here, looks like he is still here. i have played with him a few times and he seems decent to me.

what i find funny though is, this thread was started with regard to offending people with the term "rape" and in the post im talking about above he goes apeshit on stop mocking me, cursing and saying some pretty offensive stuff....lol

ah life!

Im sorry let me rephase that

What a bunch of overprivileged hypersenitive self important TWATS. WHO GIVE A S@#% ITS A GAME!!!!!

You people are exactly what is wrong with this world!!!! If you would only pull your heads out of your a$$$$ long enough to see how stupid this topic is about a game you might know true irony.

opinions are like butthole, everyone have one

BUT

I agree with this ninezerowill fellow, rape not funny in least bit

Yeah, I just call it "Training", "Circling", and sometimes "kitting". If I had never played zombies and someone said "Rape Train" I wouldn't know what the hell to think. Honestly, I think Syndicate is very overrated. KingJaq gets to 199 on kino and Syndicate gets to 116 on kino and people still say Syndicate's better. It baffles me..

Yeah, I just call it "Training", "Circling", and sometimes "kitting". If I had never played zombies and someone said "Rape Train" I wouldn't know what the hell to think. Honestly, I think Syndicate is very overrated. KingJaq gets to 199 on kino and Syndicate gets to 116 on kino and people still say Syndicate's better. It baffles me..

Agreed,btw any1 excited to see his five atempt? :D

I honestly think syndicate got big because of zombies, but got freking huge based off minecraft project. Yes I think syndicate is still good, proving that with a 80+ round at die rise and one of the few that openly bashed the galva method, but with his extreme bashing of tranzit and other things about zombies, I believe that a lot of people are better than him. I still believe that he is the best commentator out there, or on top, but I wouldnn't even categorize him as top 10 in zombies anymore, maybe top 25