black ops 3 coming to old gen xbox 360 and ps3 confirmed.

Cod is Dead...........you had this one chance activision........and you fucked it up.....This was your last chance to WOW us with a Current Gen only Cod utilizing the full capabilities of the new consoles. Instead you decide to cut the people who haven't gotten a Next gen after having 2 years to upgrade a break. 

Cod could be dead by 2018. This could have been the last and only chance to see truly next gen Zombies.....

​Exactly. Most MP players I know aren't even purchasing this game because of it being futuristic, which I say is stupid to do, but they're leaving COD behind nonetheless. Players hated Ghosts, and AW split players up, with half of the fanbase enjoying it, and the other half hating it and abandoning it. Some people had hope with BO3 being a Treyarch game, and being current-gen only, but now that's gone. To be honest, this is probably going to be a rocky launch for COD, and if this game isn't good, COD will probably have 1 or 2 more games before being done for. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cod is Dead...........you had this one chance activision........and you fucked it up.....This was your last chance to WOW us with a Current Gen only Cod utilizing the full capabilities of the new consoles. Instead you decide to cut the people who haven't gotten a Next gen after having 2 years to upgrade a break. 

Cod could be dead by 2018. This could have been the last and only chance to see truly next gen Zombies.....

​Exactly. Most MP players I know aren't even purchasing this game because of it being futuristic, which I say is stupid to do, but they're leaving COD behind nonetheless. Players hated Ghosts, and AW split players up, with half of the fanbase enjoying it, and the other half hating it and abandoning it. Some people had hope with BO3 being a Treyarch game, and being current-gen only, but now that's gone. To be honest, this is probably going to be a rocky launch for COD, and if this game isn't good, COD will probably have 1 or 2 more games before being done for. 

​The entire Cod Community could collapse if Black Ops 3 Fails. This site and everything zombies related could be gone within a year or 2. Today Treyarch revealed terrible things. Last gen consoles getting a pity version of the game for those who didn't upgrade in time. A phoned in celebrity in the campaign for the sole purpose of a gimmick. All they need to do now is announce that they will be rebooting the zombies storyline or ditching it in favor of a new storyline and the final nail on the coffin will be hammered in. 

Yup.......... the end is nigh....save your posts, abandon ship

"The last-gen version will be worked on by two other studios (Beenox and Mercenary Technology), will feature only two-player co-op (instead of the PS4/XB1’s four-player) and “there will also be some other features and functionality built specifically for the new generation of consoles that cannot be supported on Xbox 360 and PS3”.

... 2 player co-op!?

Does this mean they are cutting out 2 whole players from the equation to compensate for RAM (or whatever)?

Have fun with 2 person zombies.

Edited by GRILL

As for the complaining of being held back... I personally disagree and feel as paying customers you reserve the right to complain. That being said, complaining won't change anything so I will just say I am disappointed and leave it at that. I still expect a great game nonetheless so may as well just wait until we see more.

​I'm not saying you're not allowed to complain about the fact the game being cross-gen. Go right ahead, personally I think people should've moved on from last-gen ages ago and these last gen ports of current gen games are terrible.
But that's besides the point.

Right now many people as soon as they hear cross-gen are like: next-gen versions are being handicapped by last gen limitations guys. 

Truth of the matter is that game development is way more complicated to just draw simple deductions like that. 

One recent example of a game held back by last gen versions,  is Destiny. The vault space is maxed because of ps360 versions of the game.

I am incredibly bummed out by this news. I hobestly have no idea why I bought a ps4. As it is, I play daily on my ps3 (Destiny) because everyone I know plays on ps3. With BO3 being a PS3 game, that will very likely mean that the next BO/3Arc game will be a launch title, or second year title for the next gen (Ps5/XB2?) consoles. What's the point of these next gen consoles for zombie players? 

I've bought about 25-30 games so far for my PS4, completed maybe 6 of them, just killing time until BO3 comes out. I think I may just be other video gamed out. Just Destiny and CODZ for me from now on. I can do that on PS3... Can I get a refund on a digital preorder on PSN? Might just sell the ps4 at this point, and start a PC fund.

COD's been on decline since BO2. Ghosts burned a lot of people on the series, and as you say AW split the community. Then you have Titanfall and Destiny that are similar ideas (futuristic crap). If BO3 fails, we may not get another zombies. Activision might just guitar hero/Tony Hawk the series. 

• Administrators

People really like complaining, huh?

You won't know that the quality will suffer. All that we know is there are two other developers that will be concentrating on the port for older consoles so Treyarch can focus on the current gen hardware. Y'all are taking a drop of rain as a flood; you don't know what kind of quality the game will deliver so don't bring down your hopes just because they did something that means nothing for you.

I'm just gonna take whatever Treyarch delivers us with reasonably-high expectations but will indefinitely enjoy myself while playing. No point in emphasizing unnecessary negativity for a game we know little about. Looks like I gotta buy a trampoline for you guys since you love jumping to conclusions.

People really like complaining, huh?

You won't know that the quality will suffer. All that we know is there are two other developers that will be concentrating on the port for older consoles so Treyarch can focus on the current gen hardware. Y'all are taking a drop of rain as a flood; you don't know what kind of quality the game will deliver so don't bring down your hopes just because they did something that means nothing for you.

I'm just gonna take whatever Treyarch delivers us with reasonably-high expectations but will indefinitely enjoy myself while playing. No point in emphasizing unnecessary negativity for a game we know little about. Looks like I gotta buy a trampoline for you guys since you love jumping to conclusions.

Well let me just stress here, I am not complaining myself... just expressing my disappointment. Zombies could have been bigger and better than we could ever have imagined but now it will almost definitely not be due to being "possibly" held back by the previous generation consoles dated hardware.

I am still happy to wait and see what happens and do not for a minute think CoD is dead or dying. For every person who drops out of the franchise, another kids begs his/her mother to buy them the latest CoD game. The series makes billions and will continue to do so for some time. I am just disappointed that zombies could possibly suffer for it.

Also, why are people having a go at those complaining anyway? What is the point of having a forum if we cannot discuss these things. Sure some are being seriously over dramatic about it but suddenly those who complain are being regarded as whiners? I actually think we are well within our rights to feel let down by this announement and find it more bizarre that there is some who are actually cool with it!?! We are passionate about this mode so I think our reaction is expected to be honest and not something that should be frowned upon.

Zombies could have been bigger and better than we could ever have imagined but now it will almost definitely not be due to being "possibly" held back by the previous generation consoles dated hardware.

​Come on, this old "The game could've been a masterpiece but it's cross-gen so prepare for it being held back guys" meme is some bullshit. I know it sucks for current gen console users that all their games are also being ported back to the last gen consoles, but that's no excuse to make faulty conclusions based on comparisons where there are none.  

Developers don't have unlimited resources, they have budgets and time constraints they have to deal with. Making the game next-gen only is not going to take these limits away from them.
As a PC gamer, I'm not looking at a game like the Witcher 3 and whenever I see something I don't like go "Hey if this game was a PC exclusive everything would be so much bigger and better and this limitation wouldn't be here. But because it's also being released on the PS4/Xbone, that explains why the world is smaller than I expected, or why the gameplay isn't like I had imagined it to be."  

But some console users without even having played the damn game as soon as they hear it's cross-gen yell "Oh noooo ! It could have been amazing but it's also on the 360 and that console has outdated hardware so that means the next-gen versions of the game will be held back from greatness !"

Like @InfestLithium said: it's not like the last gen ports hold Treyarch back from creating the best Zombies experience to date. If anything holds them back, it's the engine that's older than @Delta

Bigger doesn't equal better, just look at the majority of BO2 compared to BO1.

Edited by Tasha

Seriously, I just made a post on this. Its dumb that last gen is being supported yeah but the game might as well be one of those original wolfenstein games XD. Its not going to have no limitations on BO3. If anything, there is less of a chance that it will even come out on last gen to be honest. Cod wont be dead by 2018 either lol, its not doing bad in the slightest and BO3 actually looks like a good game so I have no doubt that it wont make cod stronger. Nobody is getting the point that the last gen port has no restrictions on next gen and that it is probably a big waste of money to get, if it actually is made since it seems like they are struggling "new movement system". Pfft, that means you are getting the ghosts model of cod with a really bad version of zombies. BO2 struggled as it was with zombies.

@Tasha 

Honestly one of my main reasons for being upset at this isn't that I fear that the last-gen releases will hold them back in developing the game, but more of a concern with players.  For someone like myself who plays MP as well in CoD, if BO3 wasn't released for last gen consoles, that is probably another 30%-40%   increase in players you'd see for X1 and PS4 in comparison to say Advanced Warfare.  Same goes for zombies.  Having 2 extra systems to split players up into is going to further hinder matchmaking options, which have gotten relatively poor reviews in AW

​I know it sucks for current gen console users that all their games are also being ported back to the last gen consoles, but that's no excuse to make faulty conclusions based on comparisons where there are none. 

There is a clear comparison already and that is Advanced Warfare. Billed as "A true next gen experience", it was not and was limited to what could be done based around the limitations of current gen. The old engine is for the most part gone so we cannot blame radiant anymore.

Now to the comparison. Exo Zombies maps are small and limited in features most likely down to them having to work within the limits of previous gen consoles so the maps were small and unambitious. BO3 will be made on the same version of Radiant as AW was so we can expect similar limitations. Destiny is another example.

I can see what you are saying but unlike previous times when this debate has come up regarding other games this one has substance for arguement and as a huge fan of this game-mode I am disappointed that money motivated Activision. Then again, maybe Infinity Ward wanted to be the ones to debut CoD on next gen only first seeing as it's their creation. Either way, I hope that the game does not suffer from being cross gen but I think it will unfortunately.

Ok, based on this official statement: https://support.activision.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/Call-of-Duty-Black-Ops-III-Availability-on-PlayStation-3-and-Xbox-360/?l=en_US&c=Game_Title%3ACall_of_Duty_Black_Ops_III&fs=Search&pn=1 I stand completely corrected. I definitely jumped the gun on this one and send apologies to @Infest @Slade & @Tasha

Guess the previous gen version could indeed be similar to the milked down versions the Wii got of BO1.

Being say that since this was announced but whatever. Its simple logic if you think about it, especially when Vonderhaar said that they were only focusing on next gen.

Being say that since this was announced but whatever. Its simple logic if you think about it, especially when Vonderhaar said that they were only focusing on next gen.

How is it simple logic exactly? Sledgehammer also said they were focused soley on the next gen version of Advanced Warfare and the 360 and PS3 versions ​were made to be near identical to the next gen versions which means they would have had to hold back on the next gen versions so they would match content for content. It is hardly nieve to have assumed the same thing would be the case for BO3 on previous vs. current gens.

And besides... it was only yesterday we found out that Black Ops 3 was actually coming out on previous gen, so what have you actually been saying since it was announced? lol

It is logic because they clearly say in the article that it will be downgraded and since vonderhaar said that the game would be worked on so that it worked on next gen, it means they didnt downgrade it for last gen so the next gen version would be fine. Also I have no clue what you mean by that last sentence but whatever, just accept that you were wrong about the downgrade thing and leave it.

It is logic because they clearly say in the article that it will be downgraded and since vonderhaar said that the game would be worked on so that it worked on next gen, it means they didnt downgrade it for last gen so the next gen version would be fine. Also I have no clue what you mean by that last sentence but whatever, just accept that you were wrong about the downgrade thing and leave it.

Wow! I was trying to have a joke with you. You really are something else NV. Jeez.

• Administrators

No need to apologize @DeathBringerZen, I was just saying that so many people are threatening to jump ship over a small detail like old-gen porting. It was clearly mentioned from the initial source of this thread that Treyarch was leaving the port to two other developers so the current generation consoles won't necessarily be affected or reduced to match the content of the 360 or PS3. Like said above, it will probably be a low-quality port like the Wii did for Black Ops. 

In fact, I was an advocate of porting to older consoles so long as the initial quality of current gen experience wasn't reduced. A majority of One/PS4 fans simply want their predecessors to be left to rot, thinking that it would hinder future performance. It won't, especially since this is Treyarch we're talking about. Now with this new press release, we can safely trust their judgement and keep our hopes up. They will deliver a great game no matter what - now, they just won't be able to blame it on porting.

@the_clay_bird I get the Multiplayer aspect on it completely; however, I highly doubt the number of players per console gen will be an issue considering that - as you and others have reiterated thousands of times on the topic of older consoles - many people have upgraded to newer, more powerful hardware (current gen). It would takes a few more years until the amount of available players in Black Ops 3 would reach such a low that it would alter your enjoyability in Multiplayer.

No need to apologize @DeathBringerZen, I was just saying that so many people are threatening to jump ship over a small detail like old-gen porting. It was clearly mentioned from the initial source of this thread that Treyarch was leaving the port to two other developers so the current generation consoles won't necessarily be affected or reduced to match the content of the 360 or PS3. Like said above, it will probably be a low-quality port like the Wii did for Black Ops. 

In fact, I was an advocate of porting to older consoles so long as the initial quality of current gen experience wasn't reduced. A majority of One/PS4 fans simply want their predecessors to be left to rot, thinking that it would hinder future performance. It won't, especially since this is Treyarch we're talking about. Now with this new press release, we can safely trust their judgement and keep our hopes up. They will deliver a great game no matter what - now, they just won't be able to blame it on porting.

Yeah, it does indeed seem that Black Ops 3 is only coming to previous generation consoles as a final bow before moving over to next gen permanently, and like previous ports or incarnations like the Wii's version of WaW and BO1 to the PSP Vita's BO: Declassified, it will almost definitely be watered down port that would probably be missing many key features. This was confirmed when ATVI announced that DLC content would not be the same across old and new gen consoles.

It was an easy assumption to make though that we might suffer on next gen if Advanced Warfare was a model to go off. They definitely billed AW as a 'True next gen experience' yet they tried very hard to make the previous gen versions as close to the next gen as possible. This is why I assumed we might suffer the same fate but thankfully ATVI have confirmed many of us have jumped the gun and can now sit back and look forward to a positive future when it comes to zombies.

Still... happy to admit when I was wrong and jumped the gun. In fact, I am glad this is the case. :D

@the_clay_bird I get the Multiplayer aspect on it completely; however, I highly doubt the number of players per console gen will be an issue considering that - as you and others have reiterated thousands of times on the topic of older consoles - many people have upgraded to newer, more powerful hardware (current gen). It would takes a few more years until the amount of available players in Black Ops 3 would reach such a low that it would alter your enjoyability in Multiplayer.

​But it already has affected it in Advanced warfare.  Between sledgehammer's incompetence in implementing DLC maps and playlists, and the player base split between 4 consoles instead of 2, there are many playlists that are really barren and hard to find games on especially for people who don't live in the U.S.  It may not be a problem at all, as we know from experience that Treyarch is far more competent than SHG and IW in integrating the DLC packs.  I was reassured by Vahn's tweet, and the fact that DLC may or may not even come to the last gen (which signals to me that zombies may be big time in DLC)   either way, i trust Treyarch

Well remember: Advanced warfare was only given 66% of the time treyarch was given. If treyarch screws up they have no excuse. 

According to Sledgehammer, Advanced Warfare was 3 years in the making so they got the 3 year cycle just the same as Treyarch. That being said, I don't personally think AW is terrible. It's just not great either.

Oh no, AW is terrible. The multiplayer is glitchy and really poorly balanced. The zombies can be glitched in 1000 different areas. And the camp. was amazing, that is... Until you realize 80% of the game's time was spent on the camp, a mode players MAY play once.... 

The fact we haven't heard of old-gen release until now leads me to think they've only JUST started porting it.