The Warden...Why is he different?

Now, I understand the concept of him being a bigger zombie and being a boss of sorts, but there is something in the trailer that I haven't seen discussed that I think should. Listen to 5:05 in this video:

Now, as you'll see, they kill the Warden and he clearly says "Why did you hurt me?" Why is the Warden different than other zombies in the sense that he communicates with us? George Romero was not a zombie. He had been infused with 115, yes, but he was clearly not zombified. This is clearly a zombie, but he still thinks and is intelligent. What is the significance of his sense of being? And by that I mean, he communicates and knows what is happening around him, unlike normal zombies who just scream and run and grunt "Sam" every now and then.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you know that boss = warden?

It doesn't matter if the Warden is the boss.

He has a point. That zombie has feelings, I'm not sure if he says that, but he definitely says something, even before killing him.

We haven't seen his face clearly, maybe it's more "human" than the others.

He has a story, I'm sure.

Great find, dude.

• Administrators

He would have to be some kind of semi-intelligent being even though he retains himself as a zombie. George Romero was still zombified, but to an extent in which he could still communicate as if he did have some willpower left to be aware of his surroundings. It seems the same for this new boss.

It looks like it is a guard that was sent to the electrical chair, hence the equipment still attached to him. Because he can respond to our new crew attacking him, there holds much willpower in him. Perhaps he is even a newly turned...?

It looks like it is a guard that was sent to the electrical chair, hence the equipment still attached to him. Because he can respond to our new crew attacking him, there holds much willpower in him. Perhaps he is even a newly turned...?

If that was the case, perhaps he is stuck in a sort of limbo between the living world and the Purgatory world, and has gained special powers because of it? For example: he has the ability to turn off the perk machines, whereas the players have the ability to turn on the perk machines in Purgatory.

Ok here's my theory;

Perhaps this map is completely unrelated to our normal zombies storyline. Hence the redesigned HUD, red zombie eyes, and other drastic differences in this map. They've talked about having more of a horror element to this map... previously the zombies story has been rooted much more in sci-fi. And yes, I know we have "Samantha's" voice as the announcer, but this could just be gameplay related and non-canon.

My theory is the warden was into some kind of occult stuff. We have candles, human skulls, and what looks almost like altars around the map. As warden of a facility housing the most dangerous criminals, he would find it easy to get away with tricky things like ritualistic human sacrifice. Somehow he became a monster himself and unleashed the undead onto the island. As a result, Satan/Hades/whatever you want to call him sent Cerberus to reclaim the souls of the zombies and send them back to the underworld. By helping Cerberus and "feeding" him the zombies he will grant us access to the afterlife. This would explain the odd floating Hellhound head we see consuming zombies, and how the "Purgatory" mechanic could work and how we earn further visits to the afterlife.

Consider this.. the Wikipedia entry on Cerberus (bold for emphasis);

Cerberus (pron.: /ˈsɜrbərəs/),[1] or Kerberos, (Greek form: Κέρβερος, [ˈkerberos])[2] in Greek and Roman mythology, is a multi-headed (usually three-headed) dog, or "hellhound" [1][3][4] which guards the gates of the Underworld, to prevent those who have crossed the river Styx from ever escaping. Cerberus was the offspring of Echidna, a hybrid half-woman and half-serpent, and Typhon, a fire-breathing giant whom even the Greek gods feared. Its brother is Orthrus, always depicted as a two-headed hellhound.[5] The common depiction of Cerberus in Greek mythology and art is as having three heads. In most works, the three heads each respectively see and represent the past, the present, and the future, while other sources suggest the heads represent birth, youth, and old age.[6] Each of Cerberus' heads is said to have an appetite only for live meat and thus allow only the spirits of the dead to freely enter the underworld, but allow none to leave.[7] Cerberus was always employed as Hades' loyal watchdog, and guarded the gates that granted access and exit to the underworld.[8]

Just a theory... I'm probably way off, but I guess we'll find out Tuesday.

For one I hear "do" instead of did and, believe it or not, that changes the meaning quite a bit. Maybe not massively but it still changes. If he says "do" it can mean someone other than us has been continually hurting him. Where as if he says "did" its a totally different story. As it is most likely the first time he has been hurt.

Also im calling prophecy that we have to make zombie sacrifices to that Dog face, and if we end up doing that I want creds. :lol:

Nvm somebody already called it..Great minds think alike

For one I hear "do" instead of did and, believe it or not, that changes the meaning quite a bit. Maybe not massively but it still changes. If he says "do" it can mean someone other than us has been continually hurting him. Where as if he says "did" its a totally different story. As it is most likely the first time he has been hurt.

Also im calling prophecy that we have to make zombie sacrifices to that Dog face, and if we end up doing that I want creds. :lol:

Yeah, like I said I may be way off on my theories and what the goal is of "feeding" the dog, but I really think we're going to have to feed him zombies for some purpose. Maybe to upgrade, maybe to get the tomahawks.... I'm not sure. My original theory, as I stated, was that we would have to feed him zombies to earn afterlife visits. I'm now starting to think that was wrong. It could still be the case, but we see the dog in the picture for Grief Mode on the leaderboards, and I doubt the afterlife/purgatory mechanic will be in Grief Mode.

Can't wait to play this map and have all these questions answered!

• 1 month later...

Which one do you think he actually said, "do" or "did"?

Speculation/Theory of mine and others:

On the night the prisoners escaped, the warden does a spiritule ritual. This is why Skulls are everywhere on the map and candles.

It happened to be very good timing on the wardens part to do the ritual just as the prisoners had escaped there cells.

So then zombies spawn in, and the prison changed to a zombiefied mansion. Braking the rift and making every past soul that has died there get rezzerected into zombie form.

As the Warden was the one that did this ritual, most of the 'essence' went into him, killing him. But then getting rezzerected by the ritual.

The process happened so quickly that it let him keep his mind, and intelligence. And he wants to do his job, put the prisoners back in there cells.

I hope this answers your questions, and I hope you learned something new.

Now lets see if any youtuber stealing this theory. Which seems to be a ongoing thing with youtubers and this website. :P

The new trailer starts off with the 4 killing someone with leather shoes... Could that be the warden?...

That was Ferguson, one of the guards. However, he may have somehow turned into Brutus after the gang killed the zombie version of him. I believe Ferguson's spirit returned to the hellish version of Alcatraz after he died in the mortal world and is now trapped there with them. On the subject of evidence, Sal occasionally says that he thinks Brutus is Ferguson.

On the night the prisoners escaped, the warden does a spiritule ritual. This is why Skulls are everywhere on the map and candles.

It happened to be very good timing on the wardens part to do the ritual just as the prisoners had escaped there cells.

So then zombies spawn in, and the prison changed to a zombiefied mansion. Braking the rift and making every past soal that has died there get rezzerected into zombie form.

As the Warden was the one that did this ritual, most of the 'essence' went into him, killing him. But then getting rezzerected by the ritual.

The process happened so quickly that it let him keep his mind, and intelligence. And he wants to do his job, put the prisoners back in there cells.

Now lets see if any youtuber stealing this theory. Which seems to be a ongoing thing with youtubers and this website. :P

I think this theory would have worked, if it had actually taken place in some sort of alternate timeline. Remember: the MOTD gang were executed in "actual time", meaning that all of the stuff they get to do in MOTD never happened. Ferguson lived, Alcatraz was never infested with zombies, and the Warden may have been a normal man who probably never worshiped Satan or anything related to him. Why? The Alcatraz we've all come to know and love may be located in another dimension - one that ignores the rules of space and time, a limbo, if you will.

Perhaps he is even a newly turned...?

In the opening cinematic we literally see the guard turn into a zombie in 10 seconds, with no indication of past memory or even any human consciousness. i dont think being newly turned can affect the boss.

if george romero is 50% human, 50% zombie, this guy is more like 75 to 25. he is always aggressive and zombified but still has a slight degree of self-awareness and a slight capacity for human thought.

So then zombies spawn in, and the prison changed to a zombiefied mansion. Braking the rift and making every past soal that has died there get rezzerected into zombie form.

I think this theory would have worked, if it had actually taken place in some sort of alternate timeline. Remember: the MOTD gang were executed in "actual time", meaning that all of the stuff they get to do in MOTD never happened. Ferguson lived, Alcatraz was never infested with zombies, and the Warden may have been a normal man who probably never worshiped Satan or anything related to him. Why? The Alcatraz we've all come to know and love may be located in another dimension - one that ignores the rules of space and time, a limbo, if you will.

But rember that the rift is broken.

All these events would have panned out once the rift was mended as it would have made them go back to where it started to brake. Which would have been before furgi' died.

But rember that the rift is broken.

All these events would have panned out once the rift was mended as it would have made them go back to where it started to brake. Which would have been before furgi' died.

Hmm, that does make sense.