Did Sam Controll the Zombies before Shi No Numa?

I can't believe that I have never noticed this before, but is it true that from the radios on Moon, Sam did not gain control of the MDT until after the events at Verruckt?

Excluding the "Sam" version of the demonic voice, there are some things that still baffle me.

If Sam isn't the controller than

1. Whose perspective is Lullaby for A Dead Man from?

2. Why do the zombies say "Sam" when the attack you ( They may even in Nacht if I remember correctly)?

3. What about the [her] teddy bear ( I know it was featured in previous CODs)?

4. Why is "Eddy is a liar" is written on the wall?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow.. The last time I heard this I aperiantly had been inferring false info and actually had one person rage quit this site... :?

Enough about that.., from what is soposedly the correct info, that I've been told, We know Sam was in control before we met richtofen, tank, Nikolai, and takeo in shi no Numa, as those 4 haven't stopped traveling sense then... And we know Richtofen talked to samanthia after she entered the MPD on moon... So here's the timeline so far:

Events of nact (always the first)

Possible events of veruct begins--------

Richtofen overthrows maxis

Richtofen finds Sam in the mpd

Possible events of veruct end -----------

Shi no Numa

Der reise---> so on...

As for songs I've been told that

LullabyFADM, is about the solders, The one is about the zombies, and Beauty of annihilation is about the O4..

Oddly, in waw times, none of the zombies eyes glowed, meaning no one was their master, however it is known Sam was in the mpd at the time, this means she was A: not in control of things compleatly, or B: trayarch was just not able to change the color of their eyes... A feat they accomplish easy now...

I beleive the name Sam was just the name of the charracter GIVEN because of the zombies YA!s being a bit messed up... But that's IMO...

The teddy bear was the start of the storyline, as nact didn't have one... But by verrućt, people realized zombie's full potential... There also seems to be some kind of spiritual conection between her and that bear... Possibly implanted by richtofen...

It's not... Where do you see this?!?

Eddy... Is... A... Liar... IM not, but that's why no one would guess it!

If this was in the MOTD trailer... That could mean a lot...

Wow.. The last time I heard this I aperiantly had been inferring false info and actually had one person rage quit this site... :?

Enough about that.., from what is soposedly the correct info, that I've been told, We know Sam was in control before we met richtofen, tank, Nikolai, and takeo in shi no Numa, as those 4 haven't stopped traveling sense then... And we know Richtofen talked to samanthia after she entered the MPD on moon... So here's the timeline so far:

Events of nact (always the first)

Possible events of veruct begins--------

Richtofen overthrows maxis

Richtofen finds Sam in the mpd

Possible events of veruct end -----------

Shi no Numa

Der reise---> so on...

As for songs I've been told that

LullabyFADM, is about the solders, The one is about the zombies, and Beauty of annihilation is about the O4..

Oddly, in waw times, none of the zombies eyes glowed, meaning no one was their master, however it is known Sam was in the mpd at the time, this means she was A: not in control of things compleatly, or B: trayarch was just not able to change the color of their eyes... A feat they accomplish easy now...

I beleive the name Sam was just the name of the charracter GIVEN because of the zombies YA!s being a bit messed up... But that's IMO...

The teddy bear was the start of the storyline, as nact didn't have one... But by verrućt, people realized zombie's full potential... There also seems to be some kind of spiritual conection between her and that bear... Possibly implanted by richtofen...

Don't worry, I will rage quit after this thread is done, like any true gentleman should.

Anyway,

Even though the subject matter of the songs may be the zombies or the O4, I thought the "singer" was the anouncer. I thought each song (except Not Ready to Die or Carry On) was from the anouncer's perspective.

This always bothers me. How much does Treyarch know of what direction they are going with the Zombie Storyline ahead of time?

Like the Legendary MP4 for WAW, Der Riese Crawler Picture, Der Riese CoTD picture,and most recently when Trejo and Rooker came to work with Treyarch for some unknown project.

But this project was waaaaay before MP1 was released and before the actual release of BO2.

Does Treyarch have a general idea of where the story will go or are they really planning that far ahead?

I am sorry, you lost me here. I am a little confused on what you mean.

This is how I understand it.

- The radio's & events we hear in Der Riese, happen before we play any map.

- Richtofen has already been to CotD (he was stationed there at some point), Shangri-la & Griffin Station.

- Griffin Station is now complete & Schuster & Groph have opened the MPD.

- Schuster & Groph tell Richtofen (back at Der Riese) that they have opened the MPD, Richtofen then enacts his plans to get rid of Dr Maxis, Sam & Fluffy get teleported aswell.

- Richtofen 'Activates the shield' (Creates the Zombie outbreak) & teleports to Griffin Station

- Sam ends up in the MPD & Maxis dies at the same time.

- Sam knows what Richtofen has done & writes "Teddy is a Liar" everywhere from the Aether?

- "Teddy is a Liar" is Richtofen's password for the Griffin Station Mainframe

----This all happens before we play any map----

- Sam is in the MPD & somehow controls the Zombies from the start (what we know only until this day)

- We now start playing the maps as Marines at Nacht Der Untoten, which was the second outbreak.

- The first is probably Der Riese as Richtofen 'activates the shield', though the first outbreak could be Verruckt or even Kino. In Shi No Numa we hear the 'handler' say "The Giant (Der Riese) must be contained at all cost". That may imply that it wasn't the first. (Nothing has been confirmed of this unlike Nacht Der Untoten)

This is what I think, I hope it's not too confusing & may have helped.

I'm not commenting on whether Sam was in control prior to Shi No Numa, but I will point out that the "Mystery Box" light wasn't blue until Der Riese.

In Nacht and Veruckt there was no light beam just a slight glow around the box.

In the Shi No Numa the beam of light was yellow.

In Der Riese the light changed to blue and has been ever since until this new map MOTD...

What does that mean for the story? IDK but I'd say Sam is not in control this time around nor is Richtofen...

Let me lend my opinion if I may on the matter.

Firstly, the first map we play is Verruckt, though the story traces back much further than the Verruckt events. I will say right now that Samantha was NOT in control during the events of Verruckt, and we know this is a fact based on the last two radios from CotD:

Dr. Richtofen:

Log Entry 1475

Date: September 20, nineteen hundred forty five

It would seem that the O.S.S realized that we have captured one of their spies. They tried to send a rescue team into Verruckt that was (static) the first batch of test subjects. I suspect that there are other moles in the organization, Dr. Harvey Yena, or Doctor Peter McKay to be precise. Dr. Maxis doesn't *static* any Americans at Group 935, no matter how much genius they have. Stupid Americans with their... Apple pies and baseball and children, but I digress. The new American test subject is interesting, and muscly. His intellect seems low but his will is strong, like the others he doesn't seem to know who he is anymore. Unlike the others, he keeps breaking the restraints and yelling at me. Test Subject N3WB is still staring at the floor muttering what sounds like some kind of proverb over and over again. I think his mind may have been destroyed by the *static*... Oh well. The Russian subject recently begun responding to stimuli, but only after injecting him with a new serum made primarily from vodka. Perhaps this is the break through we've been waiting for.

Dr. Richtofen:

Log Entry 1475

Date: October 1st, nineteen hundred forty five.

Deeeear diary,

As for the control group tests, they have been put on hold. Recently I discovered that Dr. Maxis has not been mass producing the DG-2 as he swore he would. If he wont move those plans forward, then i wont continue following his dream of an undead army! He doesn't deserve his perch of power. He doesnt know what to do with it! I know just what to do with him, but I'll take care of that little brat when I get the chance to.

Treyarch was nice enough to give us a date for Verruckt: September 10, 1945. The first radio from CotD describes Richtofen discussing the events of Verruckt, as he continues his research on Tak, Tank, and Dempsey. The second radio I listed above, is dated roughly 20 days after the events of Verruckt. In this radio, Richtofen describes how he still needs to enact his plan on Maxis and Samantha. The Verruckt events have happened, and Samantha was not yet in the MPD.

So that settles that, Samantha was NOT in charge during Verruckt. To try and refute that goes directly against the game's radio (which is one of the best sources for building the story) and Richtofen's personal diary.

Moving on...

NDU has never been given a date or location. Treyarch simply never planned for it. However, for those of you that recall intel from W@W, one such intel did provide a clue on what order the map occured in:

"ever since the second outbreak at Nacht der Untoten, troops have been noticing strange radio transmissions..."

From this, we can logically place NDU as the second map, following Verruckt. Honestly though, NDU doesn't really matter that much. It has practically no relevance to the story one bit. Anywho, moving on.

At this point, Richtofen betrays Maxis and Sam, ultimately putting Sam in control in Aether. Up until this point, the only maps to have occured (while Sam was not in control) are Verruckt, and possibly NDU. That's it. After this point, Samantha is now in control of the zombies.

After Richtofen discovers that Sam is in the pyramid, he begins his journey with his unconventional allies, the original gang. SNN, Der Riese, Kino, etc all occur after Samantha is in charge, but not Verruckt (and possibly NDU).

So basically what we have is:

1. Verruckt

2. NDU (not confirmed)

3. Richtofen betrays Maxis and Sam

4. Sam enters pyramid, controls Zombies

5. Richtofen gathers gang to begin grand scheme of getting Sam out

6. SNN

7. Der Riese (SNN and Der Riese may be switched, still not confirmed)

8. Kino

9. Ascension and so on....

If we are trying to determine the events of the story from W@W, we should be using the radios as evidence of what occured then, as opposed to basing our theory on gameplay elements as visual effects like the colors of the zombies eyes.

You can find a MUCH detailed timeline of events here:

viewtopic.php?f=100&t=28818&p=277870#p277870

I believe Sam was in control during Verruckt. Zombies were reportedly saying "Sam" sometimes, which is what initially sparked the whole Sam-theory in the first place, making the zombies' grumblings canon.

If I'm not mistaken in the panel at COD xp Collin Ayers said that they named the Samantha character basically because the community after hearing that sound effect of the zombie scream decided it sounded like "sam" thus they named a character and started building around it

I figured I'd take a whack at this. People have said their remarks, some correct. Some incorrect I presume. But instead of reading and replying to all the reply-ers on this thread (which seem to have been quite detailed), I'll just answer what I think.

1. Lullaby for a Dead Man is from the Marines' perspectives. Always has been.

2. The Zombies NEVER say Sam, except in Der Riese when you throw a Monkey Bomb. People heard what they want to hear. It's part of being human. You play random noise to a person, at one point he'll think it is saying something. In Der Riese, they purposefully played on this. So the sound that people THINK is Sam has been around since the very first map, before Samantha.

3. The Teddy Bear in Call of Duty was meant to be an Easter Egg in homage for one of the developers' daughters, who died. Once the character of Samantha was created, they attributed the the Teddy Bear to her.

4. Richtofen seems to have gone by Teddy/Eddy. And he lies.

The other stuff like Power-Ups and the Mystery Box are present in those maps as game mechanics ALONE, as they didn't realize the story implications so early on.

• Administrators

I believe Sam was in control during Verruckt. Zombies were reportedly saying "Sam" sometimes, which is what initially sparked the whole Sam-theory in the first place, making the zombies' grumblings canon.

If I'm not mistaken in the panel at COD xp Collin Ayers said that they named the Samantha character basically because the community after hearing that sound effect of the zombie scream decided it sounded like "sam" thus they named a character and started building around it

Mhmm, they said that we at CoDz basically created the character because someone here posted asking who Sam was and that one of the Zombies was saying it, when that actually isn't true because the character was never thought of before that! CoDz ftw!

Mhmm, they said that we at CoDz basically created the character because someone here posted asking who Sam was and that one of the Zombies was saying it, when that actually isn't true because the character was never thought of before that! CoDz ftw!

So, the plot thickens...

This makes me wonder, if Sam was created by Codz, then who did Treyarch originally have in mind to be the controller of the zombies? Or was this entire concept of a controller created from fan speculation?

Which makes me wonder, how far ahead does Treyarch plan for the zombies storyline?

I made a post about this earlier, but I get so confused on how far they are in the storyline.

For Example- the CotD lighthouse in Der Riese. Was that an idea that came to fruition in BO or was this map set in stone from WAW at the start?

We know Sam was not in control in the waw verrućt... However... It is said Richtofen experimented on samanthia maxis... If he had the vrill technology at the time... Could it be possible that for a breif period of time, samanthia became sort of a mini-anouncer and managed to home in on the zombies in Alcatraz? Not strong enough to truely control the zombie's... But strong enough to project her thoughts and memory's into the map...

Such as the hell-dog... Sam's dog fluffy could be the origins of this dog's head... Not being the actual dog, but rather a projection of a memory... The box is weaker then a normal conection, so it glows red rather then blue... The zombie's, such as the boss, may not be as easy to turn ZOMBIFIED, so it stays an angry hybrid version of hum-ombie...

And richtofen may have full control over samanthia's experiences... This may be where he first learned of the power of vrill...

So, the plot thickens...

This makes me wonder, if Sam was created by Codz, then who did Treyarch originally have in mind to be the controller of the zombies? Or was this entire concept of a controller created from fan speculation?

Which makes me wonder, how far ahead does Treyarch plan for the zombies storyline?

I made a post about this earlier, but I get so confused on how far they are in the storyline.

For Example- the CotD lighthouse in Der Riese. Was that an idea that came to fruition in BO or was this map set in stone from WAW at the start?

A lot of the storyline concepts we have came directly from feedback from the community. Treyarch originally released NDU as a bonus mode for completing W@W, a fun little side mission for completing the campaign. They never anticipated how widely well received it would be. With it's success brought Verruckt in the first DLC pack for W@W. Shortly after the map's release, a member made a post on how he thought he heard a zombie say the word Sam, and wanted to know who Sam was. And that's how the whole thing started.

[tab][/tab]At that point, the Zombies team realized the possibilities of creating this interesting backstory, that would be able to be built in part by the fans. Did they have a set storyline as far back as W@W? No. They had basic concepts like Sam, Richtofen, Maxis, Group 935, Element 115, and the gang. But all of the other concepts we've seen like Vril, Moon bases, Lighthouse maps, etc have all come from the fans.

So to answer your questions.

Kinda. The idea of a controller of the zombies was created by Treyarch, but only after getting that initial feedback about hearing zombies say Sam.

I might be foolish for saying this, but I believe the zombie team now has a little bit more of a set storyline for BO2. We've seen the same concept throughout the last 5 or 6 maps (from CotD on at least) of Richtofen trying to take over the world, giving me hope they've thought some of this stuff through. The team had a lot of time off between BO1 and BO2, and I'm sure they knew the story needed to be complex as so many would follow it closely. Makes me think they put some time into to develop their own storyline to follow. Still, it's hard to tell.

The CotD lighthouse idea was another fan-created concept as people had been writing threads about it since originally seen on W@W. Treyarch reads these threads, and respond to them accordingly.

• Administrators

I might be foolish for saying this, but I believe the zombie team now has a little bit more of a set storyline for BO2. We've seen the same concept throughout the last 5 or 6 maps (from CotD on at least) of Richtofen trying to take over the world, giving me hope they've thought some of this stuff through. The team had a lot of time off between BO1 and BO2, and I'm sure they knew the story needed to be complex as so many would follow it closely. Makes me think they put some time into to develop their own storyline to follow. Still, it's hard to tell.

I believe that they have their ideas for envy thing planned out, but the details are something they get as they go along. I'd argue that the first 5 maps weren't very set in stone or organized, but after Kino they seemed to get a good idea of where they wanted the story to go. I'm very unhappy with the movement away from Nazi history, but as Richtofen says, I digress. But I mean in Kino, Richtofen has no clue where Sam is or anything like that but in Moon radios we find out that he's the one who cast her away and knew when she came back so he very well should have known. It just seems like they did some things early that hindered their ability later on to make changes, but they have the whole story at their fingers so I think they've known what they're doing since Ascension or so.

I believe that they have their ideas for envy thing planned out, but the details are something they get as they go along. I'd argue that the first 5 maps weren't very set in stone or organized, but after Kino they seemed to get a good idea of where they wanted the story to go. I'm very unhappy with the movement away from Nazi history, but as Richtofen says, I digress. But I mean in Kino, Richtofen has no clue where Sam is or anything like that but in Moon radios we find out that he's the one who cast her away and knew when she came back so he very well should have known. It just seems like they did some things early that hindered their ability later on to make changes, but they have the whole story at their fingers so I think they've known what they're doing since Ascension or so.

I don’t mean to re-open this case, but I thought of more things that baffle me.

I just found out today that in the Wii version of BO, in Kino there is a radio that talks about Mao's Great Leap Foreward. Was Die Rise planned 1-2-3 years ago? KIno was going to be WAW MP4, but I doubt that Treyarch would have had that radio in Kino from the begining.

WHat about the "115 Crater" on the Moon in Der Riese? Was that something they added, that they later expanded upon to be the moon base?

Lastly, wasn't their a quote a long time ago by Treyarch saying that we haven't found all of the Easter Eggs yet in all of the zombie maps?

• Administrators

I just found out today that in the Wii version of BO, in Kino there is a radio that talks about Mao's Great Leap Foreward. Was Die Rise planned 1-2-3 years ago? KIno was going to be WAW MP4, but I doubt that Treyarch would have had that radio in Kino from the begining.

Oh definitely, I mean the only reason to have that radio from the Wii would be if they wanted to implement it later, which I believe they did. I mean same with the corkboards in Der Riese having the lighthouse and Eiffel Tower and stuff. Now those were altered a little bit later on, but it's all generally the same concept. Treyarch definitely knew what they were doing in that, I think.

WHat about the "115 Crater" on the Moon in Der Riese? Was that something they added, that they later expanded upon to be the moon base?

In regards to the 115 Crater, where does it say that? I've known about there being 115 on the Moon, but I never knew they said 115 Crater anywhere. But yeah, I think that they ran with the idea of 115 on the Moon and made a base out of it. I mean hell, in Five and Call of the Dead they bring up the Moon in quotes.

"To the Moon with you hellion!" - John F. Kennedy in FIVE

"To the Moon zombies. To the Moon." - Sarah Michelle Gellar in Call of the Dead

Lastly, wasn't their a quote a long time ago by Treyarch saying that we haven't found all of the Easter Eggs yet in all of the zombie maps?

And I did hear that there was word from Treyarch that we hadn't found everything, but I got word last night that that is false and the person saying that almost got fired for it. I can't validate that, but I did hear it wasn't true.

• Administrators

Hi Tac. :P

There isn't really a 115 crater per say. There is 115 on the moon. How did it get there? Meteors. What do meteors leave? Craters. However, it was probably multiple craters, not just one big crater, as evidence by the multiple red dots on the Moon.

Hi MMX :)

Ah okay that makes sense I see what you mean now, thank you. Yeah I'd say in that case then, they just had some 115 on the Moon that we see in those orange dots, and it gives them the option to run with that or end up never using it, but as we know they made something of it.

There isn't really a 115 crater per say. There is 115 on the moon. How did it get there? Meteors. What do meteors leave? Craters. However, it was probably multiple craters, not just one big crater, as evidence by the multiple red dots on the Moon.

Sorry what I meant by the 115 crater was the orange lights you could see on the moon in Der Riese. You had to zoom in with the PTRS-41. You would see a ring of orange dots.

The dots later seemed to actually be the Moon Base, but I am confused on whether or not this ring was intended to be the Gryphon Station from the start.

UPDATE- Sorry Tac, I guess we posted around the same time. I didn't see your quote til now.

• Administrators

Sorry what I meant by the 115 crater was the orange lights you could see on the moon in Der Riese. You had to zoom in with the PTRS-41. You would see a ring of orange dots.

The dots later seemed to actually be the Moon Base, but I am confused on whether or not this ring was intended to be the Gryphon Station from the start.

UPDATE- Sorry Tac, I guess we posted around the same time. I didn't see your quote til now.

No worries man :)

I used to think that the lights were Griffin Station since it was completed before we play in Der Riese, however the lights just seems really large and I didn't think Griffin Station was that large. I may be wrong, but I've since assumed it was just 115, mainly because of this terminal file about finding 115 up there:

***TOP SECRET***

***LEVEL 1 CLEARANCE ONLY***

***DER RIESE *SERVANT* SAMPLE A00115***

What follows is the chronological primary sample from the Der Riese project “Datenbedjensteter” (translated: DATA SERVANT). Sample was acquired from CIA asset based out of Vozrozhdeniya in the Soviet Union and is translated from its original German Below:

***SERVANT ENTRY A00115***

“Element 115 overview:

“Sources include meteors found in

“Shi No Numa

“Tunguska

“Groom Lake

“Der Riese

“Moon (Confirmed via Astronomical team)

“Applications include:

“Transporter technology

“Power source for DG-2

“General weapon upgrades via CWZIMOJZDUNINXPJZEKWZOLIEXZ

“Side effects include:

“Reanimation of dead cells

“Vin inherent electrical properties.

***END FILE***

Like tac has said, I doubt they wouldn't have the exact details of gryphon station planned out from the start but rather they put orange dots on the moon, and then confirm them to be 115 in the terminal, so that going to the moon would always be a crazy option they would have.

There was a picture of the Eiffel Tower in Der Riese but if they bring out a pairs map in BO2 that doesn't mean they had that map planned since then, just that it was an idea that they had

Like tac has said, I doubt they wouldn't have the exact details of gryphon station planned out from the start but rather they put orange dots on the moon, and then confirm them to be 115 in the terminal, so that going to the moon would always be a crazy option they would have.

There was a picture of the Eiffel Tower in Der Riese but if they bring out a pairs map in BO2 that doesn't mean they had that map planned since then, just that it was an idea that they had

Ok, that is what I was thinkng, but I wasn't sure. Treyarch has been so cryptic that I tend to not know what to make of everything they do.

But, its Treyarch's specialty to play mind games with us.