User Menu

Sign In

Sign In

Or sign in with one of these services

Forum Menu

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

anonymous

Continuing Zombies & your new map ideas

I created this thread because I'm curious for your ideas about potential/made-up maps. 

As @RadZakpak once noted zombie maps are often merely a glimp of the entire location: Shangri-la taking place in just a small part of the entire temple complex, Tranzit taking place mostly on the surface of a huge underground tunnel-connected facility, Zetsubou laying on top of R'yeh, an enormous abandoned demonic Atlantis, etc. This way, the players can let their imagination go and theorize and discuss about what may lay ahead, out of the map's boundaries.

Anyway, here are some concepts about maps I know Rad and Hunter talked about a couple of months back:

• Der Riese Grief: As we know, after the abandoning of the Der Riese Waffenfabrik, there was a standoff between American and Soviet armed forces, both interested in the research and inventions of Group 935. This would be the perfect setting for a Grief map within Der Riese: 4 American soldiers against 4 soldiers of the Red Army. The map would remain exactly the same, and the two teams might struggle for the best training and camp spots. I'm not fully sure about the spawnpoints, as 8 players in the original Der Riese spawnroom seems a little bit overcrowded. Maybe each team spawns at either side of the map (at teleporter B and at teleporter A).

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor der riese

• Vietnam: Older fans might remember the implications of a possible Vietnam map during the Black Ops 1 season: It eventually turned out to be Shangri-la but the idea remained within the community. Now I am asking you, why not? In this discussion you see the arguments: Woods looking like hammered shit, suddenly wearing a 115 tattoo, and then that poster showing Woods surrounded by zombies. It appears like he went on a mission, possibly for Broken Arrow, somewhere in Vietnam. The map will be set somewhere before the events of the Campaign mission S.O.G., deep within the isolated jungles of Vietnam. The map will reveal background information about the Cold War (similar to Classified, Alpha Omega and Tag) and also why the Vietnam War was such an important event for both superpowers. I'm not fully sure if it would be nice to put another old Keeper-related temple complex in this map, or if the map takes place around a crashed vehicle transporting weaponized 115. My personal preference lays at the latter. 

AfbeeldingAfbeeldingsresultaat voor black ops vietnam mission

• Expedición de la Muerte (there we go, @Mattzs): See this discussion for the full background. Expedición de la Muerte will be set in South America, somewhere between the end of the war and the events of Verrückt. The map will feature Tank Dempsey and his team of marines, stumbling upon a Group 935 facility while searching for escaped Nazi's via the ODESSA program. The facility appears to be abandoned...by the living. What remains is a terrific army of the undead who have failed to obey their creators. A map that combines the dark concrete of Nacht der Untoten with shadowy jungles of Brazil. "Hmmm" you might think: "another jungle map?". Well I would like to adress that while the Vietnam map is more based on the jungle theme of BO1 (lower jungle with more sunlight), the jungle of Expedición de la Muerte is extremely dark, with large trees blocking all the sunlight and vines, fungi and the thick roots of the trees overgrowing the bunkers. Perhaps gives the Kino effect: dark 'inside' but through the trees you see it is daytime, making the map even more scary in my opinion. Map will feature a bit of Tank's background, about the ODESSA program, about what happened to Group 935 in the huge gap we've got between 1944 and 1945, and about Die Glocke.

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor dark jungle

Now if you have time and feel like, please share your map ideas. You can choose whether it is about continuing the story, about known events in our story that never got their own map or about explaining gaps and loose ends within the already existing story.

Here are some ideas, which probably occurred to Treyarch in some points in time. Most of them are probably not original but still.
- A map near/within a volcano.
- Medieval map (I know we had DE but imagine a map that actually takes place in that era). 

- A map in a bank (shoutout to weasel for blowing himself up).

- Loch ness 

- Rio de Janeiro (#BrazilMap)
- Prehistoric era, dinosaurs and stuff.

- The louver museum.
- Atlantis of course

- Area 51, but completely expanded.
- Monty's factory (ft. Monty's chocolate bars)
- Aztec/Mayan map, expanding Shangri-la's background lore etc.
- The wild west
- The particle accelerator at CERN 
- Underground map (who remembers "Mind the gap"?)
- Antarctica 

etc.

Paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaariiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiisssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

1 minute ago, Lenne said:

Paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaariiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiisssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Well you know where the giant is

Here's a couple of ideas:

-Zero Base: The map would take place at Zero Base, a place created by an alternate Doctor Maxis to house artifacts he discovered while travelling through space and time. You play as Victis, set during the events of the comics. You find a great number of ancient Keeper artifacts that further delve into their history, and you have radios from this alternate version of Maxis, explaining what universe he came from, and how he acquired the Kronorium. The new wonder weapon could be a variation of the 31-79 JGB215, perhaps a version with swappable artifacts to use like in concept art for Shangri-La that have different effects. Zombie Richtofen exists as a mini-boss that does not directly attack the player, but will stalk them around the base, rallying zombies to run faster when he comes near. Shooting him causes him to hide for a while. The easter egg quest would require four players, and follow the comics where Stuh acquires the Kronorium and you give your blood.

-Expanded Shangri-La: Following a similar design method to Treyarch's Aether maps in BO4, Shangri-La would be made up of the original map plus a great deal of expansion into the temple itself. Notable story goodies inside include statues of Primis (As Cal theorized from Revelations), a portal to the Crazy Place (As Anon mentioned), and a radios from Richtofen as he explores the temple and discovers the purpose of the statues and the temple. Can also get more story about Sally and Brock and Gary. Could also show Soviet influence in the temple as confirmation that they have taken over the temple, hence the lunar lander.

-The Black Sea Lab: @NaBrZHunter and I discussed this awhile back at length. It takes the idea of Atlantis, and instead turns it into an underwater Group 935 lab. The idea that he had for the story was it is within the Black Sea near Italy where lunar experimentation is performed. The Russians eventually discovered the facility and took it over during the war, and there is where the Vril Rod was being kept. In Richtofen's deal with the Soviets, he asked that the Vril Rod be returned, hence the submarine in Call of the Dead. The map would be mostly interior, showing another side of Richtofen's operation against Maxis. Here we discover Group 935's plans as the war would have progressed. There would also be sections underwater which can be traversed with scuba suits. Similar to Moon, occasionally, there will be breaching events that could cause areas to become flooded with water. These are announced over a site-wide intercom, and involve underwater Panzer Soldaten that will approach windows and begin slowly breaching them. They must be dealt with by venturing into the water and killing them. I was also thinking the lab could be built on ancient Keeper ruins left long abandoned, and by using your suit you can venture into the ruins and explore their work and learn more about their role as protectors of the universe.

-TranZit in its Prime: Imagine the Hanford facility before the rockets hit earth. So no pesky lava or fog. The map is set in daytime, and includes all previous areas. You play as Russman, Berkeley, and two new agents from Broken Arrow. After sending a sample of Avogadro from Camp Edward, Russman and Berkeley return to Hanford to find Broken Arrow has recreated Avogadro, and he has begun raising the dead and fighting back against Broken Arrow. Here you learn more about what happened to the citizens of the town before Broken Arrow took over in the 60s-70s. You get to explore the local Sanatorium to uncover the horrors of Broken Arrow's research. There are more underground areas like the power station. Pernell will occasionally talk through electronics. TEDD looks brand new, but his attitude is just the same. His bus can be called and sent to locations on a whim. He can also take alternate routes to get places faster. You can also pay him in points to get out of the bus and fight with you for a short time. As you play, Russman begins to question his allegiance to Broken Arrow as he uncovers many of their dark deeds. You work to contain Avogadro through any means necessary.

Lastly,

-Die Rise Remade: With the revelation this place is a Broken Arrow facility, remake the original at the same time and place, but with more explorable areas and one new key feature: A grappling hook. BO4 has a grappling hook, and everyone knows grappling hooks make everything better. Also be able to call elevators without keys, add Bios as enemies, give a little background on the facility and why it is here. Also explain the polarization device and who commissioned it.

1 hour ago, Lenne said:

Had expected Spleen City or something, but yeah Paris would have a lot of potential: Underground Illuminati catacombs, Group 935 station, the Eifel Tower functioning as a Global Polarization Device, etc.

@RadZakpak I espessially like the Black Sea Lab, as it is located in an area we've never heard about or expected before, yet it features some story intel that explains loose ends. What crew would be playable?

@RichKiller As for Antarctica, Lake Vostok would be perfect: A Soviet research station with under the frozen lake an abandoned Nazi base. Maybe this can be combined with the Volcano map, with an underground volcano near the site. This would feature a parkour-like part in the style of the Buried spawn room. Further the heat of the volcano gives growth to, unexpectedly, some tropical exotic flora beneath the caverns. A volcano is also historically associated with a gateway to Hell...

I always like maps taking place in a location you wouldnt expect. Another idea might be a Soviet training facility based on an American suburb. We know such places existed IRL, so perhaps a cool idea? Or maybe a map taking place in underground sewers with sometimes just a glimpse of daylight from above.

2 minutes ago, anonymous said:

Had expected Spleen City

ayayayayayayayayayayaayyayaayayyaayyayayayayaayayayay Paris with spleens covering everything. you and me mate... you and meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

2 minutes ago, anonymous said:

@RadZakpak I espessially like the Black Sea Lab, as it is located in an area we've never heard about or expected before, yet it features some story intel that explains loose ends. What crew would be playable?

Hmm... now that I think about it, what if this map took place in the alternate timeline where Ultimis minus Richtofen joined up with Gersh? Let's say at Ascension, Richtofen decides to abandon Ultimis to try and defeat Sam on his own. Ultimis saves Gersh, and they find a way to give him a body at this Black Sea Lab, which Gersh would know about if it was taken by the Soviets. Then maybe Richtofen fails to get inside the MPD since he is alone, and Samantha turns her attention on them as she now wants a body for her father. With new bodies being generated, this might be a good place to go into the whole Super Soldaten program where Richtofen had cloned Ultimis. Maybe you can fight deformed clones of Ultimis?

4 minutes ago, RadZakpak said:

Hmm... now that I think about it, what if this map took place in the alternate timeline where Ultimis minus Richtofen joined up with Gersh? Let's say at Ascension, Richtofen decides to abandon Ultimis to try and defeat Sam on his own. Ultimis saves Gersh, and they find a way to give him a body at this Black Sea Lab, which Gersh would know about if it was taken by the Soviets. Then maybe Richtofen fails to get inside the MPD since he is alone, and Samantha turns her attention on them as she now wants a body for her father. With new bodies being generated, this might be a good place to go into the whole Super Soldaten program where Richtofen had cloned Ultimis. Maybe you can fight deformed clones of Ultimis?

That'd be incredibly cool, setting the stage for a brand new part of the story, still existing in the grander scheme of the tales about Primis and Ultimis.

I do feel really bad about Richtofen being lonely, though

9 minutes ago, Lenne said:

ayayayayayayayayayayaayyayaayayyaayyayayayayaayayayay Paris with spleens covering everything. you and me mate... you and meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Must be a fleshy and tastefull map

On 2/13/2020 at 10:05 AM, Lenne said:

It's on fire. Someone should sound the alarms.

(I'm the only one who laughs at Benn jokes and that's fine.)

Time for a proper response:

My whole thing with map concepts and all is that most of you know where I'm headed - just not the true goals or outcome... probably. I've hinted enough that I'm gonna tackle some pretty big ones in my next maps (y'know - the ones to cap off Unity... has to end sometime).

In the meantime, I've had some smaller ideas in the past few years that I couldn't fit into an actual Unity map. Those include:

-A past-future map - a place ripped between two realities, two timelines, where one is a futurescape of technological advancement and the like, and the other is Romanesque and about equally as splendorous. An accident occurred that caused the entire map to break open and become torn across its entirety - the EE would resolve that. Working name is Terminus Falls. (None of this is solid, nor the name. The name, however, is something I've had for years. I'll probably find a use for it.)

-A hellscape world. I really don't have anything solid about this one, more-so that it's likely to have some deeper inspiration on the darker sides of Hell, Dante's Inferno, and such. Nothing about it concrete, and the working name has essentially the same ethos: Desolation Cell.

Those are basically all I got. I bet you expected a list of stuff from me - not so.

15 hours ago, The Meh said:

-A past-future map

A cool idea, but maybe something with that principle already exists: Buried. I mean, obviously it is an 1800s Western town molted in a modern Angolan mine, but I mean something else: the possibility of something way more ancient (Primary Plates). 

I'd like the Hellscape world. How would you imagine it, something like Blood of the Dead and the undercroft of the Final Reich? But with more religious references

On 2/15/2020 at 6:49 AM, anonymous said:

A cool idea, but maybe something with that principle already exists: Buried. I mean, obviously it is an 1800s Western town molted in a modern Angolan mine, but I mean something else: the possibility of something way more ancient (Primary Plates). 

I'd like the Hellscape world. How would you imagine it, something like Blood of the Dead and the undercroft of the Final Reich? But with more religious references

I feel like you misread the whole thing with the "past-future" stuff. It's not exactly what I meant - I'm referring to the idea of this map being ripped between realities, existing simultaneously between both, but unstable all the same. Unnatural and broken. Kind of like the MOTD perks - they're there, but they're not. They don't exist yet, and are displaced between realities, and they phase between. It kind of takes that concept and flips it on its head - doing that to an entire temple/futurescape of some sort... perhaps, an entire city. The literal merging of both civilizations.

I'm not exactly certain how I'd take the Hellscape idea. It goes off of the concept of there being a hell at all, in a way. At least, in my head. So... maybe it's just kind of that. An eternal suffering pit. Again, I don't know what I'd go for with it.

To be honest, both of these names - Desolation Cell, Terminus Falls - they've been inextricably linked to Unity for forever, without me really knowing the right place for either of them, or wanting to tell stories through them. I don't know if I'm going to use these in the future, and that's kind of where I'm at with them, in the current. Just kind of uncertain. I'm confident more in the idea that Terminus Falls should be a name for a one-off of some kind, though... not for Unity, but, just its own thing. Desolation Cell... I dunno.

For there is a story behind everything. A story that wraps everything together.

I just don't know if that story is the right story.

...I'll stop thinking out loud. xD

Maybe you guys will find some allusion to it all, though. Maybe I'll finally get some ideal purpose just dwelling on it. I dunno. I got a lot on my mind, though.

I don't know what we would do with a past-futur map,  I personally don't think I'll need it.

Appvalley TutuApp Tweakbox

Edited by burbigo

8 hours ago, burbigo said:

I don't know what we would do with a past-futur map,  I personally don't think I'll need it

We’re not saying it’s a thing that would happen, just kind of musing the idea. Kind of like just wondering “hey, what if we could make this map a reality”?

On 2/13/2020 at 11:10 AM, anonymous said:

Vietnam: Older fans might remember the implications of a possible Vietnam map during the Black Ops 1 season: It eventually turned out to be Shangri-la but the idea remained within the community. Now I am asking you, why not? In this discussion you see the arguments: Woods looking like hammered shit, suddenly wearing a 115 tattoo, and then that poster showing Woods surrounded by zombies. It appears like he went on a mission, possibly for Broken Arrow, somewhere in Vietnam. The map will be set somewhere before the events of the Campaign mission S.O.G., deep within the isolated jungles of Vietnam. The map will reveal background information about the Cold War (similar to Classified, Alpha Omega and Tag) and also why the Vietnam War was such an important event for both superpowers. I'm not fully sure if it would be nice to put another old Keeper-related temple complex in this map, or if the map takes place around a crashed vehicle transporting weaponized 115. My personal preference lays at the latter. 

AfbeeldingAfbeeldingsresultaat voor black ops vietnam mission

Okay so a guy named Nanikos posted the following on the reddit, concept art from Nick Choles who originally worked for Raven Software during the development of the original black ops. He posted these on his blogspot back in 2015 which wasn't found till today. All but his crazy 'Ox zombie' were chosen and used in one form or another, he said.

Post image

Post image

Post image

Post image

Post image

Post image

Post image

1. As Rad already noted in the Discord, these were most likely tied with a map set in Vietnam. The ox and espessially the Vietcong zombies confirm that Treyarch was at one point actually developing a Vietnam map, possibly featuring Woods in it. As Ascension might originally have featured Tak, Nikolai and Dempsey with Gersch in it, perhaps this map featured the three test subjects with Woods? Maybe they abandoned Richtofen at some point.
  2. There is a meteor zombie in it, so I guess originally Vietnam was also supposed to be the location of a discovered and unearthed 115 meteorite. Gives me an interesting view on the reason why both the US and the communists wanted to control Vietnam that badly.
  3. Love the sciencific analysis that explains some of the zombies' features. Wonder if the developers do that with every zombie/enemy.
  4. As WaW zombies was set in WW2, I guess they originally planned BO1 zombies to entirely be set in the game's timeframe: the Cold War
  5. Perhaps the Martial Art Zombie was kinda re-used in Die Rise as the Jumping Jacks, as we believe they are based on Jiangshi (Chinese zombies who still master the art of fighting)

1 hour ago, anonymous said:

Okay so a guy named Nanikos posted the following on the reddit, concept art from Nick Choles who originally worked for Raven Software during the development of the original black ops. He posted these on his blogspot back in 2015 which wasn't found till today. All but his crazy 'Ox zombie' were chosen and used in one form or another, he said.

Dead Ops Arcade has bulls which stampede in some levels, maybe they are a holdover from that original ox enemy.

11 hours ago, RadZakpak said:

Dead Ops Arcade has bulls which stampede in some levels, maybe they are a holdover from that original ox enemy.

DOA was released upon the release of BO1 right? I guess the Vietnam map was going to replace Shangri La, which means it was the third DLC. Dont know how much time before they started working on it, but I could certainly see that these concepts were already there when the original disk of BO1 was released