New Feature: "Like" Function

GRILL

ATTENTION GENTLEFOLK OF CODZ:

We have decided to implement a "Like" feature for content.  It is only available to staff at the moment, but we want to give you a heads up so that as soon as we make it live, you can get to the "Like"-ing!

You may remember this idea was tossed around a while back, and ultimately was scrapped.  Why is it back, you ask?  Excellent question!

During the on-season, brains are hard to come by - but during the off season?  Brains are pretty much non-existant!

This isn't a bad thing, in fact it's in the nature of "Brains".  "Brains" are intended for high quality posts that have clearly required research, theorization, and extraordinary effort.  The fact of the matter is, it's the off-season, and there isn't a lot to pour research, theories and effort into.

In comes "Likes" to save the day!

We want you to "Like" anything, and everything.  No rules, no nothing - if you see something you enjoy, "Like" it!

Check out what it will look like below, provided by @Hells Warrrior

The image below shows the like option

91e11520355cefcaec26dbe84aca27d1.png

This image shows the remove like option

4eef305be299e649bbc97eff1155bd17.png

This image shows the likes (it will show 5 likes, then collapses)

ac75ef5d13a7ec7b616aed502f5304aa.png

Hopefully you all like the "Like" system.  We still haven't decided if it will be a forum wide thing, probably.  We aren't very concerned about "like-pumping" because "likes" don't equal reputation.

Let us know what you think.
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I "Like" this thread a lot. :D

Anyway, we're excited to be bringing this feature to the site. We expect to to be used to it's fullest extent and are looking forward to using it in the future for any future products.

Side note, expect to be seeing some sort of application of the Like system implemented in the nominations for UOTM.

Personally i'd rather see this implemented in the place of brains, and make it the primary +/- rep system of the forum, and then have brains be a secondary form like this specifically for the asylum, or other zombie-centric threads.  The thing is, there is so much other good discussion on the forum, and to be able to more prominently attribute rep to those posts would serve us well, not only in the off-season, but during zombie season as well.   just my 2 cents :)

• Tech Admin

I'm looking into notifications but at this stage it has not been coded into the application. I'm also looking into whether you can view who thanked you, when they thanked you.

The suggestion of switching the brains and likes system around would certainly resolve that but then we would face the same issue with brains and determining who supplied them and when.

Personally i'd rather see this implemented in the place of brains, and make it the primary +/- rep system of the forum, and then have brains be a secondary form like this specifically for the asylum, or other zombie-centric threads.  The thing is, there is so much other good discussion on the forum, and to be able to more prominently attribute rep to those posts would serve us well, not only in the off-season, but during zombie season as well.   just my 2 cents :)

Agree with this. Brains just aren't as valuable as they use to be. They're given for anything it feels like. For example, your "1 like 1 prayer" post @InfestLithium got brains (I think, it says you were given brains but its not coming up who did it and not appearing on your profile. Not picking on you just using you as example). Likes should be the main thing, brains given for great posts.

That said, if that ever happened, I'd also say do a reset of brains. Not a popular opinion though so..

Brains technically got a reset when we lost the entire system back when we first tried to upgrade the forums. There's no point in resetting them again.

I understand why we've implemented a "like" system, but if you ask me, the reality is it will probably be used about as much as I give out brains (which is hardly ever). Two systems that basically do the same thing tends to cancel each other out, making the one or the other seem pointless. Everyone here seems to have a general concensus of when and why brains are genuinely awarded, but I ultimately would give brains to a post if I liked it. So now it kind of feels like you either "like" it or you REALLY like it, lol.

I see your point @

I didn't even see that likes were counted. That kinda changes my view. I thought likes weren't a global statistic like brains, but just entirely for a specific post saying you liked it. With it being counted, it's basically just two ways of saying your a good person.

I think likes have a place here, but I don't think they should have a statistic saying how much you got like brains.

Okay we can put a poll to see if people want the "like count" or not in the avatar section, if y'all like.

I get that brains and likes are similar but im going to reiterate the difference.

Ideally (and I know it's not always like that) brains are for posts and threads that clearly are backed by research, effort, and knowledge. Typically this would be for a zombie theory, or a terrific map guide, or a well thought out story/map idea, etc.

Likes are for humorous, entertaining, off topic, whatever really. Less about knowing your stuff, and more about just thinking something is cool, I dunno - does that make sense?

Okay we can put a poll to see if people want the "like count" or not in the avatar section, if y'all like.

I get that brains and likes are similar but im going to reiterate the difference.

Ideally (and I know it's not always like that) brains are for posts and threads that clearly are backed by research, effort, and knowledge. Typically this would be for a zombie theory, or a terrific map guide, or a well thought out story/map idea, etc.

Likes are for humorous, entertaining, off topic, whatever really. Less about knowing your stuff, and more about just thinking something is cool, I dunno - does that make sense?

Right, that much is clear. As mentioned, I understand why the like system was implemented, but what good is it really other than just another brains system? Especially since last time I checked, we even have brains turned off in off topic forums/sections. If people were straight up abusing brains, that would be one thing, but as I said, I think everyone generally has the same idea on which posts deserve brains. Whether it's just a well structured post of input or opinion, or something original that took some effort. If I "liked" the post enough, I'd give them brains.

Some folks may get brains they don't feel are deserved, it happens. But I hardly think people are going to take the word of someone with more brains than others as law. Again, if brains are being abused (which they never have been so far), that would be one thing. But even then you could implement countermeasures to prevent that such as turning off the brains function in various forums or limiting the amount given within a 24 hour period if necessary. But so far this "like" system is basically the exact same thing. Especially since it publically displays a count for your total amount of likes.

If it were up to me, I'd say go with one or the other. No need for both.

• Tech Admin

@

They are one in the same to be honest, personally I would take brains away and change it from Brains to Likes. However, brains is fundamental to CoDz.

Brains is earned, brains are for hard work.

Likes, are for anything, that falls into that category and other categories. You can give brains and likes to the same post, it's not a case of one or the other (although no one has said that is the case, I just want to point out that it's not).

No one gives brains to a post that gives a joke, no one has a outlet to say you know what, I liked that. Well now they do. Whether it stays when we upgrade the forum to the new version in a few months time or not is another question but it's here and in a few months, we just need to ascertain and review what we have and what we need.

@

They are one in the same to be honest, personally I would take brains away and change it from Brains to Likes. However, brains is fundamental to CoDz.

Brains is earned, brains are for hard work.

Likes, are for anything, that falls into that category and other categories. You can give brains and likes to the same post, it's not a case of one or the other (although no one has said that is the case, I just want to point out that it's not).

No one gives brains to a post that gives a joke, no one has a outlet to say you know what, I liked that. Well now they do. Whether it stays when we upgrade the forum to the new version in a few months time or not is another question but it's here and in a few months, we just need to ascertain and review what we have and what we need.

Right, lol. You and Grill have now both made the difference between the two perfectly clear. What I'm getting at is with both being a visible statistic, what's the difference really? I don't see the point of having both, that's just my opinion. But especially if they basically do the samething and keep score. Now it's just a visible statistic of who actually posts more serious and thoughtout posts and the like more so than others. 

@ yeah that's why I was suggesting we could poll for the option to either have the avatar "Like" count opt-out, or remove entirely.  Personally I dig the "Likes", it will help with UOTM nominations as well - seeing as they will (ideally) be handed out much more frequently.

We are a zombies site, and we are also a community.  The point of having both is to have the brains for zombie related stuff, and the "likes" for community stuff.  We have way more community stuff going on right now (because off season) in relation to zombies stuff, so we wanted to appeal to that and nurture our tight-knit family here.

I say "family" because furreals, you're all my fam.  I visit this place daily, I have for years - and I'm an adult.  I'm not ashamed, I feel "at home" on CODZ.  And now I can get "likes" for just chilling around talking with my fam at home?  Awesome.

A poll to get a general overall concensus would be nice. In the very least, it would be nice if the like count appeared only on your personal profile. I don't see why we all need to know how many "likes" we all have.

And "likes"? Are we Facebook? Why not something more zombie-esque like "Spleens" or something :P

A poll to get a general overall concensus would be nice. In the very least, it would be nice if the like count appeared only on your personal profile. I don't see why we all need to know how many "likes" we all have.

And "likes"? Are we Facebook? Why not something more zombie-esque like "Spleens" or something :P

That would confuse people. Brains and spleens would become one and the same….