Don't Mean To Sound Greedy, But...

Lenne

Question

• Moderators

Shouldn't every UOTM since Rissole or MLH (I think) get brains?

What was the number... 100?

100...delicious brains...hmmm....mhhhh...brainssssss.

Ahem... sorry.

Completely forgot that everyone before Rissole doesn't have the UOTM brains anymore.

So: Shouldn't every past UOTM get brains?

• Answers 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Is my topic an excellent examination of zombies or a high quality read pertaining to the community?

I'm no longer staff so this isn't my job.

But at the same time I still act like it is, so it's really the users decision. Unless measures are enacted based upon what I have said, they are merely suggestions.

With that being said, I do hope one day that the trivia game can be opened to have no restrictions, and that UOTM can again award brains.

But right now, it is just too unbalanced. So I highly, highly, highly support PINNAZ and his efforts to bump all the old quality threads back to the surface to be properly rewarded. If enough users follow his path and brains the posts they think of top quality, then maybe the average number of brains per active user can be high enough to allow for small awards for frivilous things like trivia games.

I like the idea of needing to explain why you give brains to a certain post. Of course, your explanation doesn't need to be paragraphs long, so just limit it to max 2 lines. (and if possible, have this apply only to threads - not comments)

This way, I think brains will become more personal and thus will be far less likely to be abused or the rep. system getting out of control.

That combined with the ability of mods to de-brain posts - if necessary - I think is all we need to do for now.

Test this out for a test period of a month or so, and ask everyone's opinion again.

Then (after we've have experienced the new rep system for a lenghty time) based on those new suggestions and input we can continue to make more major and influential decisions like whether to limit brains or block them entirely on certain sub-forums.

Also, on Slades point, I beleive the reason for awarding rep, should be publically visible. If you aren't willing to tell everyone why you think this post is topic quality, you probably shouldn't be awarding rep. There are exceptions I suppose, but they are far to sparse to influence this.

That way as well the community can report misused brains so the staff team doesn't have to screen all the brains themselves. because quite frankly, I know they won't. At least not all the time.

Not anything against the staff. I've been in their shoes. It's so tedious to screen everything like that. I remember how it was when I saw Asylum posts awaiting approval, or reports waiting to be dealt with. You just kinda skim through and make sure it doesn't look like garbage on the surface. Anything better than that and it was approved.

Because sometimes that was the best you could do. You might not fully understand the topic being theorized about, so you can't fact check. And we didn't want to be highly controlling as staff, so we couldn't turn down threads based on opinion or content unless it was highly offensive.

I agree. If you go to a post now, you can see who has given brains to that post. Now if you click on their name, you get send directly to their profile.

I suggest changing this so that if you click on someone's name, you instead see the reason they gave brains on your screen.

(If they gave one of course that is) 

It's a hard one & I'm partial either way to what forums are applicable. I think I would prefer the Zombie forums only though.

I think you should be able to give brains to a reply as there can be a great thread with lots of great contributions from other members. A forum is all about discussion so I think this should be applicable.

Is it possible that when you give brains, it opens a window that you have to make a comment which is then added as a reply to the thread? Or atleast (like Slade said) there is a comment section that opens?

I was once part of a forum with a rep system so I thought I would give my two cents.

Place an ip ban so no one from that ip can one up themselves.

Do not add the option to be able to lower people's reputation. I had a buddy that wasn't extremely popular because he voiced his opinion and it was usually negatively received and after a few months he had a -150 reputation sadly because of a small group of people.

I like the idea that you have to publicly express why you gave brains. I think it makes the system a lot more fair and balanced.

I'm also liking the idea of the reason for the brains. It just makes so much sense, there wouldn't just be random brains given out

I'm still of the opinion that we should keep brains in off topic. It's where the vast majority of us congregate in these off times, and if we add the reason for brains it really shouldn't be a big deal. We may need to make rules for brains in OT so it isn't used for silly things like "oh, you like that game? So do I! here's brainz cause I like that game"