Takeo's aging

Hello and welcome to my thread on Takeo, and his apparent aging between the events of Der Riese and Kino Der Toten. Firstly, here is a picture of Takeo as he appears in the original versions of Shi No Numa and Der Riese:

Here he looks fairly young, I would say he looks like he is in his 20s or early 30s.

Here are two pictures of Takeo as he appears in the Black Ops maps:

Here he looks significantly older, I would say at least 40, perhaps in his 50s. He also now has facial hair.

Now, all of the other characters look pretty much unchanged from their appearances in Shi No Numa and Der Riese. We know that the characters traveled from Der Riese to Kino Der Toten. Der Riese took place in 1946 (correct me if I'm wrong could be '45) and Kino Der Toten is thought to have taken place roughly around 1962. Using my dates this is a 16 year gap. Takeo, unlike the others seemed to have been affected by the jump in time, and has aged 16 years.

Now, I can present two possible reasons for this:

1) Takeo has suffered unusual side effects to time travel, causing him to age.

Supporting Evidence: He is often sick directly after time travel, this can be evidenced by the dialogue said by Dempsey, Nikolai and Richtofen during the Call of the Dead Easter Egg (basically they reference him being sick, and the only sounds from Takeo are puking noises).

On the Easter Egg radio, added in the Black Ops version of Shi No Numa, we can hear Takeo being sick, and Dempsey telling him to 'walk it off' (or something along those lines), this dialogue is said when the characters arrive at Kino Der Toten.

From this evidence we can infer that Takeo probably does get affected by the time traveling significantly more than the other characters, and as a one time effect, he could've aged the years that he traveled (16 years approx) as a strange after effect.

2)Takeo somehow lost the others in the unconventional time travel (over charging the DG-2) and then spent time discovering more about the zombies.

Supporting Evidence: In Ascension Takeo mentions that Richtofen is evil, but he must help him as the evil they are fighting is greater than his [Richtofen's].

In moon, after Richtofen switches souls with Samantha, Takeo swears to take vengeance on "all of 935". Now, this seems like a very serious threat, especially because he is of a very honorable (to their word) 1940s Japanese family. Now, he may not have used such strong words if he did not know a lot about group 935 already.

My theory:

Takeo was separated from the others when they time traveled from Der Riese, and he spent 16 or so years investigating the zombies, element 115 and group 935. He then found out how to time travel for himself, and went to Kino Der Toten shortly before the other three arrived there, and pretended that he had never been separated. When the others asked about his face, he just said it must be the effects of evil Nazi contraptions. Takeo does seem far wiser than Dempsey and Nikolai in Ascension, talking about the pair's memories, as if his has largely returned to him.

Takeo also seems to have a positive relationship with Samantha when she is in Richtofen's body (after the moon Easter Egg). This suggests that he has somehow contacted her previously, however the fact that he says (on the lines of): "Richtofen has much evil, however the evil we are fighting today is greater" suggests otherwise, and that he considers Samantha evil. Perhaps it shows the zombie team were still developing Takeo, and this was a slight cross over mistake, but we'll see.

Thanks for reading, and post your thoughts and theories, and/or any corrections to my information; below.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very interesting! I just have this crazy idea that this happened to Russman as well! Maybe it was element 115 that caused them both to age fast :P

Thanks for the complement. Yes, element 115 does seem to link to a lot of things in the zombie storyline, Takeo may have been over-exposed to it. Nice theory about Russman, I'm sure there's more than what meets the eye with that man!

Your quote at the end, where you say Takeo claims Samantha as the same evil as Rictofen. I find that he is not necessarily calling Sam evil, more that he is calling the power and the zombies she is in control of evil. I think he likes her as a person and because of that reason they created a strong bond right away, once she entered Rictofen's body.

I don't mean to be harsh, but I really think it is 3) a canon change. I think that they just thought Takeo should be older and made him so. Remember, in Kino der Toten they had slightly younger pictures of themselves on the wall. Maybe they wanted a more stark difference with Takeo that the other characters didn't need.

I don't mean to be harsh, but I really think it is 3) a canon change. I think that they just thought Takeo should be older and made him so. Remember, in Kino der Toten they had slightly younger pictures of themselves on the wall. Maybe they wanted a more stark difference with Takeo that the other characters didn't need.

This is probably most likely, but if it doesn't hurt the canon when we get more information, I'm going to stick with aging theory xD

Your quote at the end, where you say Takeo claims Samantha as the same evil as Rictofen. I find that he is not necessarily calling Sam evil, more that he is calling the power and the zombies she is in control of evil. I think he likes her as a person and because of that reason they created a strong bond right away, once she entered Rictofen's body.

This is a good point, he may well just beleive that the force of zombies are evil, however he may understand partly why Sam is doing it.

I like the theory of him feeling the effects of time travel. If I recall correctly isn't he completely incapacitated during CotD?

I don't think it's that serious. The only sound he makes is of him throwing up, so he clearly isn't very well, however the other characters don't seem to care too much, suggesting that it's not much out of the ordinary.

I agree that that is a very valid reason, his face in Black Ops definitely matches his voice a lot more, in my opinion. As the story was not very formulated by the time of Shi No Numa's production, perhaps they just took a random, high ranking Japanese skin for Takeo, without too much thought into his character development and later wanted to change it. Makes me think why they picked the skins for other characters now :P.

Could I use your idea in my original post as option/opinion 3?

Hrm, I really like the separation theory. Only problem is how he knew where the others would end up.

Perhaps he didn't, he found the characters eventually, and found out where they had teleported too, and then went back in time, and traveled to that place. As long as the characters did not see Takeo in this dimension I don't think it would make a time paradox? This is kind of a weak theory, what's more likely is with his research in the 16 odd years, he found out about the theater of the dead, and that the teleporter in Der Riese was linked to the one there.

Hrm, I really like the separation theory. Only problem is how he knew where the others would end up.

Maybe the characters talked about it before teleporting? :roll:

I don't think this is the case, in the released Kino der Toten trailer, Dempsey says: "eh, where are we?" and then Richtofen says, in surprise: "When are we?". This shows that Richtofen may or may not recognize the area they have been teleported to, but does not know when, coupled with the fact the the DG-2 over charged one of the teleporters at Der Riese, it seems to me that teleporting here was a mistake, and they did not know that they would be going there.

• 2 weeks later...