Y U NO PLAY Shangri-La!!!!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm doubtful that it's something we can find in game. I think the clues are hinting at something research wise. But who knows ,I could be completely wrong. I just feel like we would have found something by now if it was in-game.

I gotta agree though I love Shangri-La. I love the added difficulty that comes with the map.

It's too enclosed and a lot of secret passages and too many special zombies. Just not my type of zombie gameplay style. My favorite map is Ascension hands down!

So I prefer maps like that one. I also love Kino (As a map) but the gameplay is not very good. The nova zombies just destroyed that map for me.

I can't play it because it's the only zombie map I don't own :|

I've played it over my friends house via split screen and it was quite enjoyable. :)

You NEED To get it :P All my friends HATE it though...

Yeah I was planning on getting it soon :P

When I stop by Gamestop to preorder Black Ops 2 I'll be sure to buy some microsoft points as well :D

I'll do it for you Tankeo :P

Back on topic, Shangri-La is definitely one of the best maps Treyarch has ever designed in terms of detail and art design. It's absolutely beautiful, along with "escape" gameplay.

However, the map is just TOO DAMN SMALL.

That map should have been as big as COTD if it was going to be that friggin beautiful! But, I've heard the development of Shangri-La was rushed. (or was it Moon?) That might have led to the small design. But I want it too be bigger, I want to always play that map, I want to see more of Shangri-La.

Anyway, I believe Shangri-La was created as a complete opposite to Call of the Dead, which I'm pretty sure was received negatively by the majority.

Call of the dead's landscape was BORING. Then we get the prettiest map in the game.

Call of the Dead was the biggest map in zombies history, Shangri la was smaller than Verruckt.

But, I feel Treyarch should make more maps like it, simply bigger.

Shangri-La was also received negatively by the majority of fans, (mostly for the small size and difficulty). I've come to a hypothesis about that though. Treyarch thinks we like sterile, indoor-facillity type maps.

Look at the most popular maps:

Der Riese

Ascension

Moon

These maps are all mostly indoors, and inside a clean facillity or building or lab.

Look at the least popular maps.

Call of the Dead

Shangri-La

"FIVE"

Dead Ops Arcade

Two of those, S. and C. are outdoors for the most part, not inside any kind of building/facility/lab.

Treyarch, we want maps in jungle areas and the like, but MAKE THEM BIGGER! That was the ONLY frigging problem with Shangri-La! A bigger Shangri-La would have been one of the most critically acclaimed maps of your career, and we all know that's true.

I'll do it for you Tankeo :P

[ Image ]

But, I've heard the development of Shangri-La was rushed. (or was it Moon?)

It was moon, A developer liked the idea of being suspended in the air (like w/ the geysers in Shangri la, and they needed more of a *BANG* for the finale or black ops. it was going to be Catacombs in Paris, Kino was supposted to be a WaW map, but they put it in BO, so we think Paris will be in BO2 :)

Personally, I like the fact that Shangri-La is so small and close-quarters. Most zombie maps are really easy (Shi no Numa, Der Reise, Kino Der Toten, Ascension, Call of the Dead, and Moon- most of the maps), so I like the fact that they actually made a difficult map in Shangri-La. Maps like this, as well as Verruckt, Five and Nacht der Untoten are a bit refreshing after playing through the other ridiculously easy maps. Granted, Five isn't that hard and Shangri-La has the 31-79 JGb215, but my point is the same. Treyarch needs to start making more hard maps, because as it stands most of them are easy and therefore lose their fun after a while, and even the harder maps have been broken down by the zombie experts.

I think there should always be the possibility to play infinitely in a map (It'd be no fun if there were a certain round where surviving was impossible), but I'd really like to see some more difficult maps.

Not that they should all be difficult, though. Even the easiest map, Ascension, is one of the funnest. But Treyarch needs to make a nice mix of challenging and not-so-challenging maps.

I hate it, just because it's so tight. I do not own the map pack, I've played it on my friends ps3, and I hate it only because there is no free space there, it seems very claustrophobic, like they forgot to add some more space to there, unlike practically every other map, you could always find a nice, open area. Underground area is quite interesting in Shangri-La, but you usually get downed here if you play with people who do not have experience with zombies. I died too many times there to like it. Partly my fault, partly it's the people who try the hard maps before learning the basics. But, many zombie players are like that "your max round is 10? gtfo". If you don't get help from better players, you're not going to get far.

• 1 month later...

Everyone complains because this map is too hard. But it's actually my favorite map of all time, for several reasons.

1. The setting. All gameplay complaints aside, you cannot deny that Shangri-La is beautiful. Sure, it's not as creepy as the older maps, nor is it as "intense" of a setting as Ascension or Moon, but its setting has a feel of its own.

2. The difficulty. The turn-off for most people about this map is the turn-on for me. I like the fact that there's no single spot where I can spend the entire game training. It forces me to move around the whole map, think on my feet to escape sticky situations, always have that pumping adrenaline to keep me alive. And isn't that what zombies is really supposed to play like?

3. The Napalm and Shrieker zombies. Treyarch absolutely perfected the special zombie idea with these guys. When they show up (which isn't too often, once per round max I believe) you have an immediate problem to deal with. They add a challenge. And yet it can be dealt with quickly. The shrieker is just a bit stronger than the other zombies, and the napalm you can simply run past - dangerous, of course, but what's the point of a special zombie if it's not dangerous? Another great thing about these zombies as opposed to certain, erm, abominations *coughastronautcough* is that the wonder weapon will actually help in killing them. Which brings me to my fourth point...

4. The 31-79 JGb215. Known to most as the shrinker, the baby gun, etc. Known to me as The Punter, and as my favorite wonder weapon of all time. I guess it is just really a glorified Thundergun when all is said and done, but it's a bit more than that. It is harder to get out of corners with (those babies can still down you), but to compensate it does come with more ammo than most wonder weapons. Plus, you know it's just really fun to kick those things :lol:

In conclusion, Shangri-La was intended to be a challenge. You can have fun running in a circle forever on Ascension, but when you're ready for a real man's challenge, you can come on over to Paradise ;)

Shangri-Lanwas actually intended to be more difficult than other maps. They wanted to "force you to move around the map" and use the different escape routes like the water slide and mine cart. Why are people do adverse to using those anyway? Does the Minecart cost points or something? I forget. But anyway, you just can't apply the same strategies to Shang. Unless you're really good and INSIST on running in circles constantly. How fun.

Tankeo wrote:

CorporalTankDempsey wrote:

I'll do it for you Tankeo

[ Image ]

But, I've heard the development of Shangri-La was rushed. (or was it Moon?)

It was moon, A developer liked the idea of being suspended in the air (like w/ the geysers in Shangri la, and they needed more of a *BANG* for the finale or black ops. it was going to be Catacombs in Paris, Kino was supposted to be a WaW map, but they put it in BO, so we think Paris will be in BO2

Quite. ;)

http://www.callofdutyzombies.com/viewto ... 03&t=23774