Dealing with enraged astronaut zombie...

thesavage5118

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QED's work well too

Not entirely true. If you're lucky they can, and will turn him into an ally, or deal major damage, etc. But if you're not, it can do hardly anything, teleport you to him (QED's can teleport you), enrage him, spawn a red Max Ammo that takes your ammo if a zombie or the Astronaut run into it, etc.

This is different because this made him enraged, but I had no ammo left in my Ray Gun, and only had an M1911 and LAW. I had a QED left and threw it at him which enraged him, basically destroying my team and the EE (we were filling up the tubes, and only had to insert the Vril Device to complete that step). I've learned not to rely on them after that.

It's a chance really to use the QED.

For the OP, I would suggest Ray Gun, Explosives and Shotguns to deal with him. But it's abit hard when he's moon walking backwards. :P

Have you guys seen the astronaut zombie sprint backwards? Im pretty sure the Gersh device triggers him to do so. Are there any weapons that kill him more quickly? Or is there any way to make him go back to normal?
yes you kill him or throw a Gersh Device at him. :D

QED's work well too

Not entirely true. If you're lucky they can, and will turn him into an ally, or deal major damage, etc. But if you're not, it can do hardly anything, teleport you to him (QED's can teleport you), enrage him, spawn a red Max Ammo that takes your ammo if a zombie or the Astronaut run into it, etc.

This is different because this made him enraged, but I had no ammo left in my Ray Gun, and only had an M1911 and LAW. I had a QED left and threw it at him which enraged him, basically destroying my team and the EE (we were filling up the tubes, and only had to insert the Vril Device to complete that step). I've learned not to rely on them after that.

It's a chance really to use the QED.

For the OP, I would suggest Ray Gun, Explosives and Shotguns to deal with him. But it's abit hard when he's moon walking backwards. :P

It's not worth using up half a ray gun on round 30 just to kill him. If the Biodome has air and gravity, I usually keep Gersches just so you can hack powerups (that way, you don't really need to care about using up ammo on him, because you can get it right back with the next powerup). But if you lose it, I keep QED's because it's a fast way to get rid of the astronaut and since you can't hack and you really don't need to worry that much about the excavators, there's no reason to keep Gersches. Take out a horde with the wavegun, then chuck a QED. If you get it close to him and there are no zombies around, I'm pretty sure it does the explosion thing every time. Don't quote me on that though... haha.

It's not worth using up half a ray gun on round 30 just to kill him.

At round 30 you can normally kill him using about one clip of upgraded Ray Gun ammo. Plus I only really keep a Ray Gun for the sole purpose of killing him anyway, I use the Wave Gun to kill all the zombies.

Hey just saying, but Ray Gun and Porter's X2 do the exact same amount of damage

It's not worth using up half a ray gun on round 30 just to kill him.

At round 30 you can normally kill him using about one clip of upgraded Ray Gun ammo. Plus I only really keep a Ray Gun for the sole purpose of killing him anyway, I use the Wave Gun to kill all the zombies.

I'm a fan of the Wave Gun and all but I never use it to kill the zombies unless I have to. I for one am a fan of getting power-ups from zombies. Plus that's crucial for getting to the higher rounds.

True, power-ups are important, but using the Wave Gun is part of my whole strategy which involves dropping a power-up only when I need it. Got me to round 52 on my 3rd solo game with 0 downs up to that point.

It actually works to my advantage that the Wave Gun doesn't drop any power-ups, because that means I have control of when I get a Max Ammo.

I gather up the zombies and take 'em out using the Wave Gun, over and over 'til I have no ammo left for it. I would have killed a LOT of zombies by this time so I'll be due a power-up, but of course the Wave Gun doesn't drop them. So, I gather the next wave and kill them with a Gersch Device - guaranteed power-up drop at this point, which of course I then hack to a Max Ammo.

So effectively I can top-up the ammo on the Wave Gun exactly when I need to. This is easily the fastest and also safest way to get through the rounds, plus it's a very methodical way of playing which is what I'm all about ;)

It seems as though the Gersch glitch was fixed before release onto PS3 & PC, I used this strategy many times a few metres away from the Cosmonaut and it didn't affect him at all.

Also to get back on-topic, nice mention about the M&S Choppernator!

The Ray Gun may take less shots to kill the Cosmonaut but the Mustang & Sally will do the job quicker - if you have the M&S in hand when the Cosmonaut grabs ahold of you, just completely unload on him as soon as you get caught and you'll blow him up before he headbutts you. Not sure how well this works in really high rounds as I haven't tried it, but it works well into the 30s.

Well I see the method in your madness, but one part does confuse me a bit. How do you know you're guaranteed a power up on the next wave after using all your ammo? Wouldn't you potentially ruin your chances of getting power ups by using the Wave Gun. I mean it's not like they are guaranteed to put one out with a ombie the next wave just because you never got any of em with the Wave Gun. I'm quite sure it doesn't work like that, does it?

You've been to high rounds so you know power ups are rare past 40. Maybe 2 or 3 an entire round. If you use the Wave Gun to kill those 3 or 4 zombies with powerups, then you'll never get any and run out of ammo, correct?

I just don't see how you're "guaranteed" a power up. Your chances are good, yes. But it's no guarantee.

Well I see the method in your madness, but one part does confuse me a bit. How do you know you're guaranteed a power up on the next wave after using all your ammo? Wouldn't you potentially ruin your chances of getting power ups by using the Wave Gun. I mean it's not like they are guaranteed to put one out with a ombie the next wave just because you never got any of em with the Wave Gun. I'm quite sure it doesn't work like that, does it?

You've been to high rounds so you know power ups are rare past 40. Maybe 2 or 3 an entire round. If you use the Wave Gun to kill those 3 or 4 zombies with powerups, then you'll never get any and run out of ammo, correct?

I just don't see how you're "guaranteed" a power up. Your chances are good, yes. But it's no guarantee.

It's not about zombies 'spawning' with powerups, it's about the multiplier. 24 shots (I'm sure superhands saves 4 shots so he can get a completely full wave gun) gives you 28,800 (24x5x24) points. You get a powerup for every 2000 points you earn with a multiplier of 1.14 yada yada yada. Too lazy to do the math, but the point is, between 28,800 points and 3 gersches, you have a hell of a chance to get a drop.

Numbers are confirmed.

A Powerup will drop at a cumulative 2000 points. However, every round that number is multiplied by 1.14.

There can be up to four drops per round.

For a Carpenter power-up to spawn there needs at least 5 windows destroyed

For a Fires Sale to spawn the box needs to have moved.

If a Max Ammo is about to spawn, and the round is 29+, then another power-up will be chosen. However, it could also be a Max Ammo.

The Fire Sale, Bonfire Sale, Insta-kill, Double Points, and Death Machine all last for 30 seconds.

I honestly didn't know the details, but what I do know is everytime I used all of the Zap Gun ammo and all but the last clip of the Wave Gun, we're looking at about 700 kills when it's upgraded, and everytime I threw just one Gersch Device and I got some sort of drop each and every single time no matter what the round. Pretty much like the other guys said - it's kill/point-based, not round based and with so many kills and points made you're due a power-up, you just need to kill with a weapon that will drop it.

Guaranteed drops are based entirely on points earned.

There are also random drops which in early rounds come fast and furious, and then past round 30 come less often, past 40 almost never.

The formula is as follows.

First drop comes after 2000 points are earned. Then it's a multiple of 1.14 of the previous figure....thats what you require for the next drop.

A formula like this begins small and then becomes greater and greater.

Drop 1 comes after 2000 points.

Drop 11 comes 7,4000 points after drop 10.

Drop 21 comes 27,500 points after drop 20.

Drop 31 comes 101,900 points after drop 30.

I may be slightly wrong about the random drops, and these figures might pertain to the round number but either way you can see that eventually you require a crap load of points for the next drop.

For Super's strategy and what most high level players are now doing you just need to know that 700 kills at 50 points per kill is 35,000 points. So somewhere between drop 21 and say 25 it could stop working. But most players are also shooting into multiple zombies and not exclusively using the Wave. And Solo is different than MP so the formula will change somehow.

A full HK will net you 27,000 points minimum, without even a single kill. It has the potential to give you much much more with some kills and headshots especially. That's why point whoring is so important, and why bad zombie players believe that high rounds rely on luck for ammo. Not true at all.

Good math! So I guess in some ways using the Wave Gun for all the killing has it's benefits cuz you'll minimise the amount of drops you get, I can't be sure but I think I had less than 20 drops by round 50.

So I'd probably stop getting the guaranteed drops by round 60 and have to start point-whoring. Which is actually quite convenient at that stage, as I could just train by the AK and use that to build huge points without even killing them. Then of course I'd have to go back inside, grab a hacker again and kill them with a Gersch to get my drop. Simple enough!

All this of course is assuming the figures are the same for co-op, if any different they'll be lower which could mean you'd still be guaranteed a drop even after round 60 :D

Jesus that was alot of math. My brain has exploded trying to figure out all the math. So basically you guys watch your points the entire time and do the formulas to figure out when the next drop is coming?

All the more to ya guys for doing all that math! I think I failed math all 4 years of high school except first semester of Freshman year. It's not exactly my strong point. :lol:

But you're saying you're guaranteed at least one power up every round til Round 60 or so, and then do the math for powerups after that, right? I really have no desire to play past Round 60, so I shouldn't worry about the math too much right? I rarely use the Wave Gun. I get all my kills with the X2 and M+S and Claymores for most of my kills past Round 40.

I really don't want to get that technical to the point i'm doing formulas to figure out a poweup drop. But basically you guys are saying I'm at least guaranteed one power up every round til about 60 or so. And i never use the Wave Gun, so I should technically always be able to get a power up each round?

EDIT: Btw, my apologies to the OP for getting so off track. I'm trying to get my math lesson in real quick. Bahaha

But yeah I always kill him with a Ray Gun or M+S. I'd imagine af an Awful Lawton killed him easily it would be an awesome gun for him. Hmm I gotta try that tonight.

Jesus that was alot of math. My brain has exploded trying to figure out all the math. So basically you guys watch your points the entire time and do the formulas to figure out when the next drop is coming?

All the more to ya guys for doing all that math! I think I failed math all 4 years of high school except first semester of Freshman year. It's not exactly my strong point. :lol:

But you're saying you're guaranteed at least one power up every round til Round 60 or so, and then do the math for powerups after that, right? I really have no desire to play past Round 60, so I shouldn't worry about the math too much right? I rarely use the Wave Gun. I get all my kills with the X2 and M+S and Claymores for most of my kills past Round 40.

I really don't want to get that technical to the point i'm doing formulas to figure out a poweup drop. But basically you guys are saying I'm at least guaranteed one power up every round til about 60 or so. And i never use the Wave Gun, so I should technically always be able to get a power up each round?

I'll be honest the only time I watch math is in the first couple of levels. Once the team or I have 2000 points on top of the initial 500 I will make sure the next zombie killed is with bullets and not a knife.

On Moon for instance 2 player I'd keep all the zombies in for the first 2 rounds, except the last one. I'd then stab once and shoot twice in the head, hoping for a max ammo or *2.

Past that it just takes care of itself. I personallly use a PAPed AK so never worry about ammo or points. Past round 35 or so on most maps I start looking for the quickest way to kill. If I was to then run out of Thunder/Wave/Baby Maker etc ammo I'd go back to point whoring knowing that eventually I'm going to get a drop, and hope it's ammo.

What makes moon so fucking cool is that you don't have to hope anymore, just have to hack!!

I'll be honest the only time I watch math is in the first couple of levels. Once the team or I have 2000 points on top of the initial 500 I will make sure the next zombie killed is with bullets and not a knife.

On Moon for instance 2 player I'd keep all the zombies in for the first 2 rounds, except the last one. I'd then stab once and shoot twice in the head, hoping for a max ammo or *2.

Past that it just takes care of itself. I personallly use a PAPed AK so never worry about ammo or points. Past round 35 or so on most maps I start looking for the quickest way to kill. If I was to then run out of Thunder/Wave/Baby Maker etc ammo I'd go back to point whoring knowing that eventually I'm going to get a drop, and hope it's ammo.

What makes moon so fucking cool is that you don't have to hope anymore, just have to hack!!

Ah, I got it. So basically even if I did somehow run out of ammo for the Wave Gun, I could just use the upgraded AK (or an HK or whatever) to rack up a bunch of points, and eventually that next powerup will appear after enough points are made. Then as long as I can hack whatever power up that is, and I'll be set for ammo?

That's definately a good thing to know if I do ever want to go for more than 50 rounds. Thanks for breaking it down for me Chopper! [brains]

Have you guys seen the astronaut zombie sprint backwards? Im pretty sure the Gersh device triggers him to do so. Are there any weapons that kill him more quickly? Or is there any way to make him go back to normal?

Back on topic I don't find it that bad when he starts sprinting backwards, in some ways he becomes more manageable.

AK area for instance when you are kiting there you can either run all the way around the rock, or just on the back side where Mule Kick is, doing cut backs for control. If you are running loops which are easier to then turn around and shoot on if he is in the wrong place, by the box for instance or just on that right hand corner as you are looking back up to the exit, he can be a pain in the arse to go past. With the gravity effect you can with a slight mistake fly too close to him and get grabbed.

If he is running he can be incorporated into the hoard and managed.

ThanksOstoned, hope it helps. For moon especially timing the drops in the first few rounds can mean getting the Bowie on 3!

Ideally on solo you want ammo end of round 1 and then *2 end of round 2. If you save your ammo on 2 and have *2 on 3 you get lots and lots of points!

EDIT: Btw, my apologies to the OP for getting so off track. I'm trying to get my math lesson in real quick. Bahaha

But yeah I always kill him with a Ray Gun or M+S. I'd imagine af an Awful Lawton killed him easily it would be an awesome gun for him. Hmm I gotta try that tonight.

All good man, Im not a thread Nazi. Live it up!

Lets go further off track: 4player on friday with Way and I? Do the moon egg and see how epic we can be? :twisted: