My Black Ops MP Event Write Up

carbonfibah

Call Of Duty Black Ops Multiplayer Reveal Event

While wandering around from station to station watching the community get their hands dirty with some Black Ops multiplayer, I ran into an old friend. Perhaps you have heard of him, Mark Lamia? He pulled me aside and asked, so what do you think? I simply stood there and stared at him with my mouth open, I simply could not muster any words to explain how I felt about Black Ops. So many words and emotions flooded my mind as I went over everything we had learned and seen that day. I finally was able to say that I was speechless, I literally could not find words at the time to express my happiness and relief. Happiness that the game played so well and to see all the new additions. The relief mainly based on the principle that they have taken the best from WaW and MW2 and combined it with new features to construct a solid multiplayer.

I have never been much of a free-for-all player, however after witnessing their new game modes, “Wager Matches” I will have to change that. These new wager modes were awesome. One thing I really liked was how you don’t choose any weapons, perks or create any classes. Everything is preset for each mode. This preset business is great and will be popular with the hardcore gamers. The wager matches are built around the skill of the player and not how good said player has set up their classes. This levels the playing field and allows for some serious fun. I was only able to play three of the four available Wager Matches, so I will talk a little about those three. Gun game, the mode where each kill you get progresses you to a different weapon was awesome. This mode is nice because it really challenges the players and tests their skills with all kinds of weapons instead of allowing that player to use their “favorite” or “best” weapon. The concept where you can knife someone to send them back a tier was a great addition. It is very fun to run around and only knife, this REALLY makes people mad. You definitely need to keep getting kills to keep up with the other players or you will be left behind with only the pistol while everyone else is already multiple tiers above you. Sticks and stones was another wager mode I really enjoyed, where you have the crossbow, ballistic knife and the tomahawk. I liked this one because it has three fairly difficult weapons to maneuver. This mode was just awesome because it has 3 weapons that I had never used before, so it was a totally awesome new experience. The final match I got to play was one in the chamber. Now this was definitely my favorite. It really reminded me of playing bolt actions in World At War, where your aim really had to be on, you had to get that perfect shot to kill the enemy player. This is the one match that got my adrenaline going more than the others. I remember one of the matches I played, I was down to my last of three lives and it was me and one other player. I managed to find a great building with blown out walls that looked down across the street. I had no idea it was down to two, all I knew was that I wanted to win. So I am sitting up there looking around frantically, watching my back and then I saw the last player running across the street. I had my sights on them for a while aiming up the shot, as I only had one chance to make it. They were pretty far away and were about to turn left behind a car, and I aimed it up and shot. Got the kill and the win. It was probably the most epic and satisfying shot and kill cam I have ever managed to pull off, especially when everyone was watching and got to see my skills. This is a wager match that I will be betting on a lot.

Yes I just said betting. One of the concepts of wager matches is that it deals with CoD Points (CP). A new form of currency new to Call Of Duty. In terms of wager matches, what you do is bet your CP that you will place in the top three of six players. You can also double down and raise the stakes. This is what you are playing for, CP and bragging rights. CP is a brilliant addition, as it revolutionizes the way you will be creating your loadouts. As I understand it, you rank up and unlock different guns, attachments, camos, etc and as you unlock those you use your CP to purchase them. Now you can make the class you want when you want, granted you have enough CP and it has been unlocked. I have been asked on numerous occasions to describe Black Ops MP in one word. That one word is customization. It really tells you something when they remove the gore from MP to allow for the in-depth customization they have made available in Black Ops. I mean the level of customization is simply incredible, and well worth the removal of gibs and what not in multiplayer. I suppose I will start with the gun itself. You are now able to customize your gun the way you want it to look. You now have the chance to make your gun, YOUR gun. Make the one gun to rule them all. That one gun that your opponents see over and over again in their kill cams and theater mode. Your gun. See you can add your emblem, clan tag, camo, red dot/reflex sights, and a plethora of attachments. Lets start with attachments. From the time I spent muddling around in the create-a-class section I notice that there are a ton of new attachments for weapons. One notable new attachment is the flamethrower. Now people continue to ask me if this is overpowered, however in my opinion it is underpowered if anything. You get three canisters of fuel, with approximately four seconds of “flame time.” Now I did equip this and tried to get some kills around corners, but I found it was simply more effective to just use the gun. Now for me, this attachment will be one used for fun, rather then my normal gameplay loadout I use when I play to win. It looks great, and everything about it is smooth, however I just can’t see myself using it all the time. Now onto emblems. This was one feature that really intrigued me. They have about twelve pages full of different numbers and pictures for your emblem. Now that alone is pretty cool. They are all solid color, so nothing too fancy at a first glance. However when you start to get into it you have twelve layers. So being able to have twelve emblem layers with numerous color choices and the ability to rotate, resize, etc turns emblem creation into an art form. Now one could spend hours and hours creating an epic emblem. My hope is to never see two emblems alike. There are endless possibilities and something that I think everyone will be excited for. Your clan tag may not be as customizable as your emblem however you can choose it’s color along with the option to slap it on your gun. Now this is just epic. Tthese features really make your gun your own in a way that makes you proud of your gun, of your masterpiece you have created. The camo selection is also something Treyarch has improved from previous titles. We were able to get our hands on a dozen or so while playing at the event. Now you no longer have to struggle with headshots to unlock the sweet camos. Now all you need to do is reach rank 10 to unlock the camos and then you have your choice of beautiful gun skins, CoD Points permitted. I am sure you have seen the list, but here are some of the camos that were shown.

* Dusty

* Ice

* Red

* Olive

* Nevada

* Sahara

* ERDL

* Tiger

* Berlin

* Warsaw

* Siberia

* Yukon

* Woodland

* Flora

So now we have your gun pimped out with attachments, emblems, clan tags, and camos… what else could you possibly customize your gun with you might ask. Well let me tell you, now you can even customize the reticule on your red dot and or reflex sights! This is such a small and simple customization, but one that really adds something new to the gameplay. You can now choose from a list of images, as well as customize their color. The red dot I used the most was the Treyarch symbol which I painted orange. Here is a list of customizable sight reticules we saw at the event.

* Dot

* Semicircle

* Line with dot

* Circle

* Smiley

* Arrows Horizontal

* Arrows Vertical

* Arrows with dot

* Boxes

* Burst

* Circle within a circle

* Circle with dot

* Circle with Crosshairs

* Circle with inner line

* Circle with outer line

* Circle with arrows

* Circle with triangles

* Outer crosshairs

* Small crosshairs

* Large crosshairs

* Diamond

* Diamond outline

* Heart

* Radiation

* Skull

* Square

* Square outline

* Star

* 3 dots

* Treyarch

* Triangle

* Outer triangles

* X

* X with dot

* yin yang

So those are some gun customizations, which can be purchased using the CoD Points system. Now onto player customization. This is another thing that really caught my attention. So when you go to the main create-a-class screen you see your player or character. You can then select which type of player you want, so you can filter through different factions like NVA, Urban Black Ops, Urban Spetsnaz, or for example my personal favorite, the SOG. So now you have selected your core, base player look. You can then go select your first perk for tier 1. This specific perk will then customize the character’s look even more. So by choosing one of the following your character’s look is tailored to that specific perk, or gameplay style.

Tier 1

* Lightweight

* Scavenger

* Ghost

* Flak Jacket

* Hardline

As I am sure you have heard before, this now allows you to glance at an enemy while playing and be able to determine which perk he is using

for his or her first slot. A notable feature is that you can also rotate your player to check out how it looks as well. We can’t forget about the epic new addition of face camo either. I didn’t get a chance to mess around with that, but I know it will be something many players will enjoy. So, that is the basic gist of some of the player customizations. Now lets get into some of the perks. You will have your normal perks as well as pro perks, which are obtained by fulfilling it’s predecessor’s challenge, similar to Modern Warfare 2. I have listed the tier 1 perks above, so here are the perks for the other two tiers.

Tier 2

* Hardened

* Scout

* Steady Aim

* Sleight of Hand

* Warlord

Tier 3

* Marathon

* Ninja

* Second Chance

* Hacker

* Tactical Mask

The majority of these are not new perks, only given a new name. One thing I am glad to see is that they have not included the perks commando and one man army to name a few. Overall my first impression of the perk system is that it is generally balanced. I did not find myself cursing anyone out over a specific perk they were using. However who knows, over time there might be a perk that will do this, but like I said at first glance I was pleased.

I want to be sure to mention about contracts. Contracts are new challenges that have been set up to earn CoD points while playing multiplayer. These are specific challenges tailored to different weapons and equipment. These will be included along with the normal challenges for XP.

While creating your classes you now have three types of equipment that you can use. You can select one of each type for each class. Lethal, tactical and deployable. Lethal include items such as frag grenades, semtex and the tomahawk. Tactical includes items such as willy pete (smoke), nova gas, flash bang, concussion grenade, and decoy. The deployable items include camera spike, C4, tactical insertion, jammer, motion sensor and claymore. I am going to talk a little about the ones that I used. The semtex grenade is a favorite of mine, and is pretty self explanatory if you have played Modern Warfare 2. Now the tactical items are some pretty awesome additions. Notably the nova gas being my favorite, for obvious reasons. This grenade it awesome, and I would compare it to tabun gas. A yellow-ish gas emits from the grenade which will effect your sight and movement if you come in contact with it. It really messes you up. Slows you down and pretty much makes you a sitting duck for enemy players. The deployable equipment is where I really got excited. The camera spike is an incredibly useful tool. It replaces your map on the HUD, but in return you gain some tactical advantages when playing objective game types. For example, I love the camera spike for Search and Destroy. What I did was run to the “A” bombsite and stick my camera down to get a good view of the bomb. Then run over to cover the “B” bombsite. This was something that I found very useful. Enemies will show up on the camera in white, like a thermal scope so you can differentiate enemies from teammates. Also on the topic of Search and Destroy, the bomb you plant is a briefcase. The sensor is also something that is great. It is like your own personal UAV around you. I found this to be good if you are camping a building and need to watch an area you can toss one down behind you to cover your back. Also you can toss them down in the middle of the map, perhaps you and a teammate and together can over one section of the map with sensors so you know when someone is coming from that direction. So in terms of objective game types these deployable equipment will bring a whole new level to tactics and strategies while playing, in a good way. Something that I liked was that you can pick them up, for example you toss down a claymore, and nobody runs into it and you want to move around more, you can now go and pick your claymore back up and go plant it elsewhere. This is such a simple yet again brilliant feature.

Kill streaks are something that everyone loves, including myself. With each new Call Of Duty I anticipate seeing some awesome new kill streaks. Black Ops surely delivers this. Before I get into the kill streaks and talk about a few that I used I want to cover some basics. First of all your kill streaks will no longer get your more kills for your next kill streak. So no more praying you get two more predator kills for a harrier in Modern Warfare 2, in Black Ops you must fulfill your kill streak requirements without the assistance of your previous kill streaks. Something else that immediately caught my eye was and is something I was excited about was the eleven kill cap for kill streaks. Meaning the highest kill streaks only require eleven kills. This is something I love. I liked the 3-5-7 concept in World At War, very simple and easy to know what the enemy could toss at you. However over time you got kind of bored with the same three kill streaks. Then in Modern Warfare 2 they threw at you way too many kill streaks. The one nice thing was that you never felt bored with all the choices to choose from, but it was overkill. The kill streaks were overpowering the gameplay, I like hectic but it was kind of ridiculous, I mean a nuke? Come on that is just asking for players to camp. So in my honest opinion I think the eleven kill cap for kill streaks is perfect, it is a nice medium between the two games. Low enough that you can run and gun and get eleven kills and at the same time enough options that you will not be bored. Also the killstreaks are stackable like in Modern Warfare 2, meaning you can have an RC Car, a helicopter and say a carepackage in "your pocket" or kill streak que. Just the kills from them don't count towards your next one. Here is the list of kill streaks we saw in Black Ops at the event.

* 3 - Spy Plane

* 3 - RC XD

* 4 - Counter Spy Plane

* 4 - Sam Turret

* 5 - Care Package

* 5 - Napalm Strike

* 6 - Sentry Gun

* 6 - Mortar

* 7 - Attack Helicopter

* 7 - Valkyrie Rockets

* 8 - Blackbird

* 8 - Rolling Thunder

* 9 - Chopper Gunner

* 11 - Attack Dogs

* 11 - Gunship

At the event I used the spy plane, RC car, care package, attack helicopter and the chopper gunner. The spy plane is nice, it is your normal recon/UAV. Not too much to say about that. The RC car though was amazing. Such an awesome new innovation to the kill streak line up. At first getting a handle on the controls was tough, but after a few uses I was able to use it pretty fluently. Probably the most fun kill streak to use. I wasn’t able to, but I was told the best way to get kills is to find something to launch the car off and then detonate in mid air above the enemies heads. Now that is just awesome! The helicopter was like a normal helicopter but one thing I noticed is that when you call it in, your map pops up and you can choose a location to call it in at. Now this doesn’t really seem important, however after it was explained to me, I understood. So the whole thing about choosing where you call in the attack helicopter, as I understand it, gives the chopper a point of interest to hover over and attack first, and from there it shall then proceed to move around the map. I like this as sometimes kill streaks have a way to entering the map nowhere near the enemies, this simple addition adds a little more control. Finally, the last kill streak I was able to use, twice might I add, was the chopper gunner. First impression was this was one bad ass killing machine. Different than it’s predecessor however same concept. However in Black Ops the chopper gunner pilot is not drunk and actually flys how you would want him to fly. You start off in a helicopter, and then the door slides open and you lower down your minigun. From there you just let it rip. Enemies are visible, depending on what perks they have. I did have some trouble getting kills as many people were hiding, but it was one of the kill streak rewards that is a reward to the player but not something that just overpowers the sky and stops gameplay until you shoot it down. People have complained about the care package being a five kill streak instead of four. My answer to that is there are kill streaks you can get in the care packages that you can’t get anywhere else for example, the death machine. The minigun that you can walk around with, very slowly I might add.

The maps are really well built. From what I experienced from the four MP maps they showed us was great. If you didn't know, the MP team has been working on MP maps from day one. In previous Call Of Duty's they have created MP maps based of SP maps. Not this time, this time they are building MP maps first, and I think even some SP maps came from MP.

Anyway, it really shows that the MP team is dedicated to the maps. The one's I played were great. I didn't have any problems with them. They flowed nicely, great chokepoints, objectives in the right spots, neat hiding spots and other environmental things to interact with. Overall if the maps are like the four I played, these are definitely Treyarch's best MP maps yet. I love all the interactive features, for example on one level you can open and close doors with a button. Something that changes the way the map is played. Also, just to quickly mention two new features. The dive to prone and the reload. The dive to prone or as people call it "dolphin dive" is really cool. It flows nicely with the gameplay and feels like it has always been in a Call Of Duty. Very fun to use and will cut down on the drop shots. Also the feature where you can't reload while running is cool, so if you start your reload, you have to finish before you can run.

Next up I want to talk about some of the audio and features of the HUD. First of all the audio is incredible, they have done an amazing job. I love the sound for headshots, challenges, and ranking up. The music is awesome, the VO’s are great, and the overall atmosphere of the maps are epic. On the map where the rocket launches off, you can clearly hear, see, and feel the difference from previous Call Of Duty games. I mean the sounds of the rocket launch, combined with the entire map shaking and vibrating your controller, you totally feel like you are there, witnessing the events you are playing. I know they have done this in the Single Player, but having this type of cinematic background is simply amazing, brings a whole new level to your surroundings as well as new distractions while playing. Something that I didn’t even notice until it was mentioned to me was the ammo count on the HUD. You no longer see the bullets per clip show up on your screen, you simply see the numbers. Now the fact that I didn’t even notice this while playing tells me that I really didn’t need it. I think the HUD looks much more cleaner without all those tally marks on the bottom. When you get hit with bullets you see red, but not a face full of jelly, which is nice.

On the topic of gameplay, I want to make sure I mention another game mode that has been added to the multiplayer mode. Something called Combat Training. Now this idea is something so simple, yet so revolutionary to Call Of Duty, you can’t help but to question why something like this was not added sooner. Combat training allows you to play on the multiplayer maps and get the multiplayer experience without having to play against other humans. You play against bots. You can choose your difficulty of the bots which is an obvious and helpful feature. This mode can be used for so many different things. Whether it be learning the maps, creating strategies, practicing your skills, or facing off against friends. You can invite your friends to play on your team or you can play against them. You rank up just like you would in normal multiplayer however this ranking system is completely separate from your normal ranked matches. This is a game mode that will be great for new or veteran Call Of Duty players alike.

A lot of people ask me if this or that is overpowered, and I can simply say that I don’t know. Playing multiplayer for a few hours is just not enough time to decide if one feature is overpowered. However I guarantee, just like in all previous games there will be a perk, gun or kill streak that everybody uses and will then be coined overpowered based on how popular it is and how often you die from it. I guess I will touch a little bit on the guns at this point. I didn’t actually use a wide variety. I mainly used the famas. Now that it is fully automatic, I am really liking it. Also the AUG is a great gun that I liked to use. For a secondary I was really liking the ballistic knife. There are so many guns to choose from, that I really didn’t have enough time to try them all out. But rest assured each gun offers a great animation along with sound. The tomahawk is similar to the throwing knife but has more arc and bounce.

I suppose I shall wrap up with something that I thoroughly enjoyed. Theater mode. Theater mode is revolutionary to the Call Of Duty franchise on so many levels. I was lucky enough to get a personal demo and shown all the best features of this add-on. I don’t know how many recent games it saves, but I know it is a lot. I won’t go into all the controls and things you can do, but I will give you a brief overview. So now you can go into theater mode and see all the games you have played. You can open them up and watch. You can change the speed of the game, as well as the view, for example, first person, third person, free roam, etc… There is even a bar that shows you a timeline, it shows you exactly at what time you got kills and deaths. So you can skip to the good parts if you want. It also allows you to take screenshots along with creating clips. I know there are features for sharing, but I didn’t really get into that. All I know is that now no player will ever have to say “damn, I wish I had a capture card.” Now everyone has a capture card and the ability to display their epic moments. This is something that excites me so much. Now I can make montages and videos of my gameplay, something that I have never been able to do. This is a whole new era for Call of Duty and Machinima.

So overall, what I saw and played at the Black Ops multiplayer event was amazing. I cannot express how eager I am to get my hands on this game and play it religiously. There are so many new features that many of you will be overwhelmed at first, like I was. Which is a small price to pay for the innovations and features that have been added. The fact that Treyarch has been working on this as a full studio from day one shows, oh boy does it show. The multiplayer team has done an amazing job and we haven’t even seen all they have for us. I hope this article was interesting, maybe you didn’t learn anything new, but I hope you could see how passionate I am about what I played, and how much of a treat everyone is in for come November 9th.

Check out this write up on the CoDz homepage for images

Videos

Wager Matches

MBeVMuFyS9M

Multiplayer Footage

zt-GXY6A7xw

You can also view my Ustream for video of the event

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/carbonfibah

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMFG. Thank you so much for the in depth review thingy. I know we already know most of this but we all really so appreciate how much effort you put into this. Now time to read

EDIT: Now that i have read it, it makes me want this game so much more. I remember about 2-3 months ago i asked for a bot mode, and everyone said it would be nice but they would never see it happen. Not in a Call of Duty game anyways.

Loving the customisation. If i cant play online i might fiddle around with my emblem or learn some gun tricks in the bot mode. IF that gets boring after like 2 or 3 years i will play zombies non stop.

Just think, if they have an jaw-dropping campaign, awesome co-op modes and a fucking kickass multiplayer then this game should keep the record amount of copies for one game sold forever

Great write up!!!!

I knew from the moment when I heard that the entire studio was dedicated to developing this one game, that it is going to be an epic game! Since this will very likely be like 3 full sized games rolled into one game, how are they fitting it onto one disc?

Wager matches are very cool ideas, very excited and can't wait to play. So much so, that now in mw2, I cycle through different guns every match just to get a feel for how the "gun" game works, pretty fun and challenging when I wind up having an smg or the shield on derail or a sniper on a map such as scrapyard.

^Agreed, If they put it on two discs, there could be gore, and Customization, But Customization is fine by me.

Very Nice Indeed, I especially like your opinion of the sound. Nice and Detailed like World at War.

One Question though, and I hate to start a flood of Questions that you probably wont know the answer to, BUT Did you notice if there were Seperate Voume Controls? It was ridiculous being forced to have the loud music in modern warfare 2 blaring in my ears and drowning out all other sound. Was there the option to turn the music down like in World at War?

I doubt they will need 2 discs. A disc can hold 50GB, and i doubt it will use that much up. Even if it did, they could compress the files and then make you extract and install in on your system

The xbox 360 uses DVD that have a maximum capacity of 7 GB while the ps3 uses bluray with a maximum capacity of 25 GB meaning that for ps3 you could get more than three times the space for each disc than in the xbox 360 that's why most developers use 360's while they make the game

http://gear.ign.com/articles/111/1116182p2.html

I doubt they will need 2 discs. A disc can hold 50GB, and i doubt it will use that much up. Even if it did, they could compress the files and then make you extract and install in on your system

The xbox 360 uses DVD that have a maximum capacity of 7 GB while the ps3 uses bluray with a maximum capacity of 25 GB meaning that for ps3 you could get more than three times the space for each disc than in the xbox 360 that's why most developers use 360's while they make the game

I knew it, not trying to start a console war here, but if you compare an xbox exclusive title compared to a PS3 exclusive, PS3's will look much better, cause devs dont port it over. I wish they would upgrade the 360 so it will look better on both systems

Great write up but with 60 days to go, Carbon being on site with Treyarch and not one piece of additional GKN6/Zombie news.... I'm worried.

I like COD ( its not as good MP gaming expereince as BFBC2 IMO) but I wont be buying it unless there is a new, co-op Nazi Zombies equivalent game type (Castle Defence) included.

A rehash of COD WAW Zombies doesnt count as it is not new.

Treyarch are unlikely to miss a trick so I wonder if they are planning to ship the COD WAW maps with BO and then continue that story in the BO universe using DLC????

The PS3's Blu-Ray disk games only use 25GB disks (when they are single layered). A game like Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (Yes it needs to be said like that), took up so much space, Kojima demanded dual layered Blu-Ray's, at 50GB.

Wikipedia - "Although the Blu-ray Disc specification has been finalized, engineers continue to work on advancing the technology. Quad-layer (100 GB) discs have been demonstrated on a drive with modified optics and standard unaltered optics. Hitachi stated that such a disc could be used to store 7 hours of 32 Mbit/s video (HDTV) or 3 hours and 30 minutes of 64 Mbit/s video (Cinema 4K). In August 2006, TDK announced that they have created a working experimental Blu-ray Disc capable of holding 200 GB of data on a single side, using six 33 GB data layers."

I am unaware as to how much RAM MAG for the PS3 uses. (Click this if you dont know what MAG is). What I do know is that MAG has the ability to involve over 256 online players (in one game), including customization of the players and aesthetic damage to scenery. The PS3 has 512MB RAM (256 Video, 256 System). Note: The 360 also has 512MB of RAM but is not split like the PS3.

So in conclusion if the PS3 can support what I mentioned above, (and theoretically the 360 should have no problem supporting MAG) I don't believe that the customization alone in Black Ops takes/will take up enough RAM on both systems to not include gore/dismemberment/gibs.

Your comments please.

Ah, I think I need to clarify my comment more clearly:

"Since this will very likely be like 3 full sized games rolled into one game, how are they fitting it onto one disc? "

I was referring to the xbox 360 console because that is all I own. It never dawned on me to think about the ps3(lol), and yes I do know the size of blue ray discs can hold about 25 GB.

So in conclusion, I want that game now!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Night vision Goggles FTW lol. But the actual idea to lessen the effects of flash grenades and stun grenades is a great addition IMO. But does it also makes you move a little less slow when hit with stun if it does then I'm for it.

And nice summary of the whole thing