TOTW/TOTM suggestions and ideas

Chopper

I would love to see a thread of the week, or even a thread of the fortnight. I think that's a great idea.

Having the Mods pick a thread would be the quickest & easiest way. I don't think we need a public poll or anything. Maybe just an interesting topic or one that's gained a few replies already. It would mainly just drive traffic towards it. I don't think it would increase many extra replies?

Having a medal is a great idea too.

Also the Yearly CoDz awards I would be right behind. There are many categories that could be made. There has been some unofficial Awards threads before, some serious & some satirical. Someone should make a thread with a poll of categories or some mods should brainstorm this. Perhaps make them financial yearly rather than calendar yearly?

110% behind CoDz awards.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm seeing a few concerns on what would warrant a "good" topic, or chosen due to it already being a hefty thread. Perhaps TOPIC could be TOPICS of the week. And I like the idea of Mods picking the threads. It may not be as important, but it builds more staff-to-community relationships and it's nice to get noticed. So, maybe the mods could pick the top threads/topics in each section? And those who created the topics, would then receive the medal. If multiple topics are made by the same member, well they are one step closer to excellence. ;)

• Tech Admin

That's it active, featured topic, myself and Ben (Chopper) discussed and opted to use MurderMachineX's topic as the starting topic, it's 169 pages long, it has over 67k views and has over 3,300 replies. We think a great topic to start of with and get some more user participation into the topic itself.

It does have a bug with it not updating the replies in the featured topic itself, but I'll investigate that and see what might be causing that.

• Tech Admin

It does have a bug with it not updating the replies in the featured topic itself, but I'll investigate that and see what might be causing that.

Aware of that aspect, looking into it. I think top of the forum looks good, sidebar would be too small I think, especially with other things we are looking at.

• Tech Admin

Just so you are all aware, although not a bug - it is how the featured topic works, it will always show the avatar for the last person that replied. I've been in touch with the author to see if we can default it to the topic starter and I have also reported the bug of topic replies not updating.

I'm not sure this has been addressed yet (or even mentioned), but the way the featured topic looks on the forum page (with the last responder's avatar) makes it look like that person is responsible for the topic. Is there a way to make MMX's (the topic creator) avatar show largest and maybe show the last responder's smaller? Perhaps show the last 4 responders this way. 

*Fuck Screw you spell check, responder is definitely a word!*

I'm not sure this has been addressed yet (or even mentioned), but the way the featured topic looks on the forum page (with the last responder's avatar) makes it look like that person is responsible for the topic. Is there a way to make MMX's (the topic creator) avatar show largest and maybe show the last responder's smaller? Perhaps show the last 4 responders this way. 

*Fuck Screw you spell check, responder is definitely a word!*

Yep, Hell's Warrior is working on that right now!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Tech Admin

Just an update, the featured topics has been updated to the most recent release (released today) - the avatar will not show the topic starter, it will also show the topic starters name and the last posters name. Unfortunately the topic starters is not linked to their profile but the last posters is.

I would also like to see above the names, it saying topic starter or similar and last poster. Unfortuantely the topic views and replies are not updating and this is currently being investigated.