How I would like the design to be...

So Treyarch has now a whole year more time to develop their game and we have hope they will not ship with as half assed map as the Tranzit was. Here is what I think we need and deserve from the next installment of zombies.

New engine. Honestly if they don't ditch that dusty idTech 3 egine by the year 2015 they shall be damned. And Treyach should develop the game ONLY to PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4. We do not want the experience to be hindered by 10 year old consoles. If Activision wants to still support them there would need to be another studio making the old console versions.

Map design, Black Ops II showed us bigger is definetly not better. Zombies became too slow, with Black Ops and World at War you started a match and were surviving right of the bat. What Black Ops II got wrong was large map that took a lot of time to travel, too many things needed to be set up. Lets have very detailed maps the sizes from Kino to Ascension. Just perks and power and from then on its pure survival and teamplay. Buildables can stay granted their assemble is easier with smaller maps.

Keep the new modes, Grief and Turned were a lot of fun and Treyarch should keep them in their new game. Have challenge modes like No man's land.

No ranks, we all wanted them and we were all wrong. People were just fustarated, wanted to be reset and stopped playing for fun. Rank became obsession to many. People would leave lobbies just because they saw people with low ranks. Lets face it zombies do not need ranks nor will work with them.

More maps and enemies, If you ship the game with less than three maps after all this extra time count me dissapointed. On the zombie side I would like to see more enemy types to bring a new kind of challenge to the game.

Ditch the story, as someone who started playing zombies JUST because of the story it pains me to say it but I do not want to see a glimpse of the story that we had. In the end it became utter mess that even Treyarch had no clue on what they were doing. Bring a new background story that can be grown in time but not a story that defines the game and its future.

Easter Eggs, have smaller ones that will take time to find and figure out more emphasis on radios and notes than one big grand easter egg, but I'm not saying they should remove them either.

Small things, add Clans, improved statistics, private matches, offline play, mod support (if they design their engine they can't no more plead on licensing troubles), improved match making and possibility of dedicated servers and server browser.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some actual easter egg rewards would be nice next time. Free powerups for tranzit and an extra gun slot after completing all the easter eggs and inserting all the navcards correctly - like, seriously?

I don't agree with more maps. Sure it's nice, but to me it's more about making sure each map is absolutely crammed with new and interesting stuff to do.

A perfect example would be Nuketown Zombies. I don't even consider that a map, it's just a big (small) playground that gets boring after 10 rounds.

More threats to the player is also welcome in my book. 

And it would be awesome if they started including the map interactivity they currently have in MP also in Zombies.

like most of those ideas, and I agree that by 2015, I don't think we should see any legacy console release.  2 years is plenty of buffer zone.  Nobody expected that in previous generations of consoles, so no need for it now.

i don't think there should be no ranks, but instead, a rank more akin to prestige mode in multiplayer.  Being that you don't have to be good to obtain prestige in MP, just play a lot.  However the better you are the faster you'll obtain it.  I think that should be implemented, so its basically an XP scenario a  lot like extinction (one of the things that mode got right)

Agree about the maps being more manageable and less tedious.

One thing that might be interesting, is multiple WW's per map kinda like the staves, however give us different ways of obtaining.  So for instance, one WW you can roll out of the box a la Black Ops 1.  One might be a buildable much like the staves with a means of upgrading, and then one that is really good might be an easter egg reward. 

good ideas though Matuzz, and i totally agree about grief, private matches, clans, and added to that, I like the idea of customization, aka changing starting pistol (could chose to not start with M1911 and with stronger one instead, with the obvious downside being no Mustang and sally) or changing skins on character and guns.  like all 4 characters might have a jungle outfit, snow, space, war, etc. and you could earn them through challenges

New engine. Honestly if they don't ditch that dusty idTech 3 egine by the year 2015 they shall be damned. And Treyach should develop the game ONLY to PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4. We do not want the experience to be hindered by 10 year old consoles. If Activision wants to still support them there would need to be another studio making the old console versions.

Couldn't agree more strongly with this one. The idTech engine (now the IW engine) is the most outdated piece of shit engine still getting used these days. Sure it is capable of producing some nice visuals, but it is the most ropey and buggy engine out there.

Things like visual and sound glitches, as well as the abundance of barrier glitches proved this during BO1, and instead of ditching it, they continued to use it (albeit updated) for BO2 and it was a disaster.

Every map is choc full of issues, and they are all down to the terrible engine. Activision then lied and said Ghosts would have an "all new, next-gen engine", but alas it was just another poorly updated version of the SAME ENGINE!

If they do not create a new engine for the next game, Call of Duty is finished! The amount of issues present in the Xbox One (& possibly PS4) version of Ghosts is embarrassing for what is the debut of CoD on next-gen.

Couldn't agree more strongly with this one. The idTech engine (now the IW engine) is the most outdated piece of shit engine still getting used these days. Sure it is capable of producing some nice visuals, but it is the most ropey and buggy engine out there.

Things like visual and sound glitches, as well as the abundance of barrier glitches proved this during BO1, and instead of ditching it, they continued to use it (albeit updated) for BO2 and it was a disaster.

Every map is choc full of issues, and they are all down to the terrible engine. Activision then lied and said Ghosts would have an "all new, next-gen engine", but alas it was just another poorly updated version of the SAME ENGINE!

If they do not create a new engine for the next game, Call of Duty is finished! The amount of issues present in the Xbox One (& possibly PS4) version of Ghosts is embarrassing for what is the debut of CoD on next-gen.

Yeah I can't believe how blatantly they lie on the Ghosts website:

New Engine

From maps and modes, to animation and audio, to who you are as a player — this is the biggest overhaul of multiplayer since the original Modern Warfare®. Things like Sub-D, Displacement Mapping, Real-Time Lighting, and Dual-Rendering tech gives us the ability to build the most visceral gameplay experience we've ever created. And at 60 frames-per-second across all platforms, there is nothing like Call of Duty Multiplayer.

The story is the game, and to end on a note such as origins? Come on… That's like killing bruce lee with soda bottles… 

Rank should be kept, but changed to work better for the better player rather then kill-to-down ratio. Furthermore the answer to players leaving lobbies is of course, the lobby leader boards. 

With all this extra time they are not going to be developing any "new" maps, there will be one "main" map, and a smaller, but still epic, map that is released with the game as well. Now, the addition of new modes, and more survival-maps is inexcusable. 

Don't count on mod support, Clans is unnecessary, private matches are a MUST, improve the host-migration, they've already stated that Ghosts is improving servers. 

Better engine please,

As for map design: Yes bigger isn't better, but we don't want mile-long maps with too many tedious things to do, yet after playing kino and moon recently, those maps are REALLY small… Purhaps the size of the map needs to stay the same as BO2, and they just need to include more things.  Making build-ables easier doesn't help either, I propose everything switches to a buried or MOTD/Origins type map, where buildables aren't that important or they can all be held at the same time, or have an alternative way to build them for you. 

The story is the game, and to end on a note such as origins? Come on… That's like killing bruce lee with soda bottles… 

Honestly nothing will come out of the old story. It was butchered by Treyarch and I honestly think they knew that themselves. They ended the story with Origin while keeping stuff still open because there was WAY too many loose ends to even make a proper ending. The whole story was in conflict with the maps they wanted to make. It went like lets make cool map and then force this story to it. Timetravel and all those things in the end destroyed the story.

As I said they need new story that doesn't define the game as much, something that can be easily modified and could make sense with many different types of maps they would be adding in the future.

Don't count on mod support, Clans is unnecessary, private matches are a MUST, improve the host-migration, they've already stated that Ghosts is improving servers. 

Treyarch said there was no DLC problem or Activision telling them not to make modtools. It was because they created the game with so many 3rd party tools that they could not license to allow making modding tools. If they make their own engine they could provide mod tools.

http://www.callofdutyzombies.com/forum/index.php/topic/157728-mocking-me-countdown-full-cod-black-ops-3cod-heros-outline/

Continuing the story is possible, and easily done, as I have done it here. It's practically butter in one's hands to mold and create maps now with the ambiguous buried endings. You just have to know HOW. 

As for the mod engine, i said don't count on it, not that it wasn't possible…. 

http://www.callofdutyzombies.com/forum/index.php/topic/157728-mocking-me-countdown-full-cod-black-ops-3cod-heros-outline/

Continuing the story is possible, and easily done, as I have done it here. It's practically butter in one's hands to mold and create maps now with the ambiguous buried endings. You just have to know HOW. 

As for the mod engine, i said don't count on it, not that it wasn't possible…. 

Yeah it is possible to drag a long the old story but for me the sotry by now is boring, way out of portion and has nothing to do with the original start of the story other than zombies...

I'd rather took a clean table for the next game and I say this as a BIG story enthusiastic.

I'm insulted you have no idea how big of a story enthusiast I am… 

Linking back to the original story is very possible and even likely, it simply wasn't done in BO2. 

Starting fresh would require: A new set of characters, meaning even samule and co. fade into nothing despite their recent arrival and untold story. Takeo's story would never be told, what nikolai hides under his drunken state is still a mystery, what happened to samantha in argartha? Hmm? 

You end the story with the perfect balance of ambiguity and solid knowledge of what could happen. You conflict either of these forces and you simply can not end a story, and like it or not, the one thing trayarch CAN do, is tell a good story. 

I definitely agree with the new engine idea. While tweaking the engine with each game has slightly improved on some of the most visible problems in old CoDs, it has worn thin the original coding of some very important elements as well (BO2 melee, anyone?). With Sledgehammer boasting that they are working on the most ambitious CoD to date, maybe they could be creating a completely new engine. However, I sincerely doubt this, due to SH's lack of experience in the industry, as they are pretty much brand new to developing, with the only project under their belt being unknown parts of mw3 (a pure disaster of a game, in my opinion). I believe Treyarch has the opportunity and experience to develop a new engine, since they have time. Honestly, Treyarch's CoDs have been the saving grace of the series. I enjoyed mw2 for a few seconds, but BO1 was a much needed slowdown to the abundance of bull crap that was mw2 multiplayer.

Onto the gameplay portion (more specifically zombies), I would like to see all current maps remastered and implemented first day of release. It would also be nice to choose the weapon era that we could use as well (imagine W@W-Z weapons on maps like Die Rise) for each map. While that would only be in a custom game setting, it would be very interesting and a nice change of pace. Also, private matches need to be re-implemented for co-op leaderboards, and a ton of security tests done periodically (if a player gets to round 100 without moving once, I want treyarch to review the footage) so that glitches and hacks are shut down swiftly. Ranking system- I like the mystery the one in BO2 had at first, however once it was clear it was dependent on low downs, I was sure I could never get shotguns. The ranking system needs to have a few additions this time around: a player's first 3-5 games on a map should not be counted towards the ranking system, however should add to their kills, downs, and other stats. This will allow players to learn the maps without getting GG'd by a robot's foot or elevator first time around. Revives should be emphasized more than they currently are, as well as headshots. Also, boss kills should be added to stats, separated into the different categories (Panzer kills =/= Brutus kills) just to see which bosses you are competent against. I would like to be able to view random's stats as well while in a public lobby, however, take a halo approach and prevent players from leaving a lobby (praying for dedicated servers if this is the case). More round based and boss zombies instead of creatures like denizens that prevent movement. Less dependent on transportation devices unless they can be controlled (ability to call Die Rise Elevators without keys, please?). All in all, I liked what every CoDz game had to offer, how about Treyarch just refine it so people aren't able to make the game unplayable with barrier glitches and the like that we have seen for years?

I'm insulted you have no idea how big of a story enthusiast I am… 

Linking back to the original story is very possible and even likely, it simply wasn't done in BO2. 

Starting fresh would require: A new set of characters, meaning even samule and co. fade into nothing despite their recent arrival and untold story. Takeo's story would never be told, what nikolai hides under his drunken state is still a mystery, what happened to samantha in argartha? Hmm? 

You end the story with the perfect balance of ambiguity and solid knowledge of what could happen. You conflict either of these forces and you simply can not end a story, and like it or not, the one thing trayarch CAN do, is tell a good story. 

I know you like the story a lot and I'm glad that at least you like it but I have to disagree on the fact that Treyarch can make a good story. Not anymore out of this one.

It all started as a World War 2 nazi conspiracy and we loved looking trough those real life historical events and conspiracies. Nice characters who had their backgrounds built up, the same continnued with Black Ops tough they already started to move away from the whole nazi conspiracy and brought ton of new characters that they simply ditched with no explonation on what happened. Same can happen to new crew it did happen to old crew, FIVE crew, CotD crew, MotD crew and soooo many side characters from Black Ops.

Then what they decided to do with Origins is tell us that it was all game which was already hinted in Kino. Samantha who was in Moon in Richtofen's body is now back to little girl in Germany while the evil nazi doctor Richtofen controlling zombies is a little boy playing with her. As far as storytelling goes that definetly is not a "good" sotry. For me Origins was the end. It was an ending closing the story while never explainning most of the stuff, because Treyarch simply couldn't or to tie all the loose ends together it would have taken 20 additional maps. But by making Origins ending they avoided explainning all the cliff hangers. As hey it was just a childrens game anything can happen to them.

Pretty much agree with this except with the story part. I would like the N4's journey continued along with unfinished plotlines like The Flesh, Broken Arrow and Marlton in Nuketown explored. Maybe throw in some bios ALA WaW Map Pack 2.

I'd like to see a return to more historic events though. In BO2, I believe we only had the N4 map names as references to history.

I would be hugely disappointed if they just killed the story and started fresh. The next story might be really good and I could enjoy it maybe even more than the old one, but it wouldn't make me forget that they just crapped up a really good story, introduced a lot of things, and then never took them anywhere. I dislike The Sopranos for that very reason, cause all the good story lines went no where and many were left unfinished. It would make me lose a lot of respect for them as story tellers. I still hold some hope that Treyarch knows what they have been doing with the story and that all the details we've been finding and debating about, actually matter.

I'm still really bummed about where the story went in BO2 and the complete lack of meaningful info that progressed anything, but I'm hoping they can make sense of a lot of it next game. WaW created a really good foundation of story and BO1 added a whole lot more while progressing events and shining some light on past events. I'm hoping BO2 was just introducing ideas like WaW did, and the next game will do for it what BO1 did. Feed us just enough info to tie some things together, both past and present story line elements, while still keeping a lot of the answers in the dark, and that it leads us up to a real ending. 

I agree with most of what you're saying especially the bigger is not better for map sizes. One thing i would respectfully disagree with you on is the no ranks. Yes i agree they should ditch the way they have the ranking system for Blops II that they have now for sure, but i would like to see them maybe make improvements on the ranking system rather than eliminating ranks altogether. 

But that's just It: Why did trayarch move on from the WW2 era? SImple: They had juiced it. To return to those basics takes them back to square one, actually to square -1, as they can not return on ideas they've already used. 

What we need is a new era, post-apocaliptic, chocked FULL of after-war super-civilization secrets and what nots. Start from there, work your way back, and then snap back to developing the future again!