Frame-rate lag: why it occurs

TOPIC OF CONTENTS

A. What is it, and what causes it

B. Maps it is present on

C. Games in which I encountered the lag (How to deal with it)

D. Various Wr's with framelag (videos)

No intro here today, as I will get straight to the topic: framelag

What is it, and what causes it?

Framelag, in layman's terms is "a slowdown in frames per second." In my opinion, framelag is a progressive slowdown of the game due to one thing. And oddly enough, the cause of framelag is THE BOX. Wierd, right? Well, actually, I can explain. On maps such as Ascension, Call of the Dead, and Shangri-la (BO1 only, BO2 and WaW wierdly do not have this), you all should know that you can only kill hordes past a specific point with a wonder weapon (Nacht/Asencion- Thundergun CoTD- Ray Gun, Vr11, Scavenger, Shang- 3179JGb215.)

Well, you WILL eventually run out of ammo, and will need to trade said wonder weapon out. As the rounds increase, you will need to trade said wonder weapon out quite often. (In My COTD 75 on xbox, I needed to trade approximately 35 scavengers out to complete the 4.5 hour round 74.) And eventually, the game begins to "lose" ram, and thus creates framelag.  So, you are wondering how to fix it. Answer: Holding out a claymore. It's wierd, and not even I know why a claymore fixes framelag. Ultimately, the game runs out of ram, and causes a reset.

Maps With Framelag Present

(This section will only deal with maps on BO1)

For co-op, framelag occurs on the same maps as solo, and most of these games, however, do not have resets.

On solo, it occurs on the following maps: Nacht der Untoten, Ascension, Call of the Dead, and Shangri-la.

My personal experiences with framelag

I have encountered framelag on two seperate occasions (on solo):

Ascension- round 182 solo- 135000+ kills, 100+ thunderguns traded out, 11 fps without a claymore.

On this game, I needed to start holding a claymore out on round 137. Over those next 15 rounds, I needed to trade 2 thunderguns in a round, and by the mid 150s, the lag had got pretty bad, and by the instakill rounds, it got severe, leading to my reset on 182.

Call of The Dead- Round 75 solo- 13512 kills- Unknown scavenger/raygun/vr11 recycles/ 1 crossbow recycle

Suprisingly, framelag in this game was caused by box hits. I need a claymore out starting at, suprisingly, 72. I actually ran out of points on 75, and died trying to get them back.

Various games with frame-lag: I guess I will leave you guys with some videos:

Jam19951961- Nacht der Untoten round 136 (4 FPS)

Mackanzombies- Call of the Dead round 83-

I8A911T- Ascension Round 186- 130000 kills-

WINGSOFOBLIVION- Shangri-la round 150 solo-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BokkaDFzOgI

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow thats crazy so that much goes into high rounds. I know its not the same but explain why is it Bo2 when I kill a huge train the game lags almost like its about to crash? This video would explain it if i were that good. Sadly probably unnecessary to run with claymores on round 20. Lol

We need more threads like this. Have some juicy rep_up.png

It's crazy to think Claymores can fix it, but in a sense it does kinda make sense. The Claymore G-Spawn error was fixed in BO2, so I imagine it is related.

We need more threads like this. Have some juicy rep_up.png

It's crazy to think Claymores can fix it, but in a sense it does kinda make sense. The Claymore G-Spawn error was fixed in BO2, so I imagine it is related.

Kind of relieving, too. Me, Frenzy, Mackan, and others with 70+s on COTD somehow got away with not gspawning, stacking a steady pile near the AK.

Another great post Awful Lawton. Really enjoy these types of topics you're making.

I was going to ask kind of the same thing as Rissole, if the errors that occur in Black Ops from planting too many claymores a have anything to do with the opposite effect that can get you through the frame lag? Strange little gaming glitch I suppose.

Never been good enough for high rounds like this & if this occurred to me I would be so pissed off I'd probably not play for high rounds again.

I just like my quick hour or 2 games. Haha

I'd like to say thanks to you guys. My BO1 disc is suffering from a little wear and tear lately (thank god for install.) I may just have to go out on the market and buy a new one. Anyway, I also have Bo1 on pc, and have been rummaging through those files, and I have found that claymores take up little ram. That may be why claymores stop the framelag. also on pc, I've been trying out the top floor strat on five.

I know its not the same but explain why is it Bo2 when I kill a huge train the game lags almost like its about to crash?

Your framerate dropping when you shoot a train is caused by the blood fx and also the zombie models changing to rag dolls when they die so that they will fall to the ground. Nothing really you can do about it. It's because the old gpu's and small amount or ram in the 360 and PS3 can't really handle it. PC, depending on your gpu, you might drop a little; but nothing really noticeable on high end cards.

The only reason cod isn't more gory than a bit of blood squirting out when you shoot a limb off or knife is because it would be too graphically intense for the old hardware.

This probably isn't the most common reason, but this is one that i experienced:

Old xbox died, bought new one. It would freeze, skip, lag; i was watching the worst zombie frame rate the other day with my buddy that i never had issues with.

It was plugged in where my old one was plugged in. I guess the new one is more power hungry and the other stuff in my game room was using up the amps on the circuit. So, i plugged my xbox into a dedicated ac wall outlet and my issues disappeared.

Did not expect...