Maxis is Brock from Shangri-La

So with the release of Buried I see now what I must have been blind to miss before. In Buried, once all the easter eggs are completed for Maxis and you activate the box he gains control of the Aether. Here's a video if you haven't seen it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI9R3yP_L0s

In it Maxis talks about Argatha. Who else mentions Argatha? Brock from Shangri-La. Now think back to Moon. In the audio logs Richtofen is teleported to the moon and then where? Shangri-La. So when Richtofen teleports Maxis and Sam in Der Reise, Sam gets sent to Griffin Station and Maxis gets sent to what he describes as a "tunnel" when he's teleported to Griffin Station by Groph and Shuster. Also take into a account the near identical voices of the two and that Brock wasn't surprised when Zombies showed up in the audio logs. If you take all that into account I'd say it's safe to assume Maxis is Brock. Thoughts?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup,MMX remembered me about that.Maybe their relation is just the voice actor.It's like saying that Dempsey is the person that yells "Kaboom" when you get a Nuke drop.

Although this leaves me thinking.How the hell did Maxis found out about Agharta?I know he had a research on Vril,but just this doesn't justify it.

Yup,MMX remembered me about that.Maybe their relation is just the voice actor.It's like saying that Dempsey is the person that yells "Kaboom" when you get a Nuke drop.

Although this leaves me thinking.How the hell did Maxis found out about Agharta?I know he had a research on Vril,but just this doesn't justify it.

Well vril comes solely from Agartha.

• Administrators

That's a theory I played around with many many times, but I can't bring myself to accept it. If Maxis had truly died and the idea of reincarnation was proposed, that'd one thing, but they're mentioned as two different people while they are both alive, so as of now I can't really accept it. It's well thought out though :)

Who said Shangri-La takes place during the 1990s? Sure maybe the present day does, but remember Brock is alive during the eclipse. Who knows when that takes place.

Brock and Gary are using walkie talkies, and the type they're using weren't made until about the 1900s or 2000s.

I don't think so to be honest. I think the only connection is that they knew the name of the place and that they share the same voice actor.

Brock is British and lived in the 1990's/2000's. Maxis is German/Scandinavian and lived in the 1940's.

It is Scandinavian ?

By cons, Maxis and Brock does not have the same voice in the French version.

I think it's just because Maxis/Nikolai and Brock share the same voice actor.

Much like Takeo and Dr. Shuster,

on the other hand, I haven't heard anyone talk about this yet,

Brock's lastname is Russman. Coincidence much?

I've always thought it seemed strange to include new characters Brock & Gary. Though I don't think they are the same peron, good theory. There are a few similarities/coincidences.

Maxis & Brock/Gary similarities.

All where trapped in a tunnel.

All where at Shangri-la (Richtofen says Maxis created the 31-79 JGb215)

Both talk of trying to get to Agartha

Anything else?

I haven't heard anyone talk about this yet,

where is it stated Brock's surname is Russman?

on the other hand, I haven't heard anyone talk about this yet,

havent talked about it cuz this is the first ive heard of it....and either way gray & brock are "dead"/still trapped at shangri-la tho(remember the end of that easter egg)

One of those times I'm gonna be a buzzkill and say you guys are just overthinking things.

Agartha is supposedly a mythological place and brock/gary were adventurers, you know every once in a while you get a guy who believes in etc etc and goes off searching for it. Him not being surprised by zombies meant he just did his research pretty well, and expected to some degree that it might be possible.

I'd go with tac's probable reincarnation idea if it wasn't for the fact that maxis' conscious or soul or whatever you wanna call it was trapped in technology.

One of those times I'm gonna be a buzzkill and say you guys are just overthinking things.

Agartha is supposedly a mythological place and brock/gary were adventurers, you know every once in a while you get a guy who believes in etc etc and goes off searching for it. Him not being surprised by zombies meant he just did his research pretty well, and expected to some degree that it might be possible.

I'd go with tac's probable reincarnation idea if it wasn't for the fact that maxis' conscious or soul or whatever you wanna call it was trapped in technology.

Actually, the thing about the zombies is more because of the glyphs. Brock was saying something along the lines oh, "Oh, look at this... hm..." Then the zombies came, and he wasn't surprised. Apparently the carvings mentioned zombies.

• Administrators

Actually, the thing about the zombies is more because of the glyphs. Brock was saying something along the lines oh, "Oh, look at this... hm..." Then the zombies came, and he wasn't surprised. Apparently the carvings mentioned zombies.

Interesting idea, haven't heard it before. It would make a lot more sense than him somehow knowing about the Zombies already.

• Administrators

Thanks. Since 935 had taken the place, it's possible the glyphs were tampered, kinda like how the shrine reads "Richtofen".

I think the Shrine always said Richtofen, after Richtofen visited in the mid 1900s he was viewed as a very powerful person and they made the shrine for him. Same way that in an unused quote (I know you think they hold less canon-ity) there was a full statue of him.

"Uh, that looks a little like Richtofen doesn't it. Odd." - quest_step8_9

"That statue looks a little familiar, no?" - quest_step8_9

"Why does that statue resemble Richtofen?" - vox_plr_2_quest8_9

Thanks. Since 935 had taken the place, it's possible the glyphs were tampered, kinda like how the shrine reads "Richtofen".

I think the Shrine always said Richtofen, after Richtofen visited in the mid 1900s he was viewed as a very powerful person and they made the shrine for him. Same way that in an unused quote (I know you think they hold less canon-ity) there was a full statue of him.

You missed the point entirely.

"Richtofen" was inscribed into the stone as a glyph only after 935 made contact (through Richtofen). It's not hard to imagine this was done more so. So much so that zombies were mentioned in one.

• Administrators

You missed the point entirely.

"Richtofen" was inscribed into the stone as a glyph only after 935 made contact (through Richtofen). It's not hard to imagine this was done more so. So much so that zombies were mentioned in one.

Well I'm suggesting that they didn't tamper with the stone to make it say Richtofen, I'm suggesting that it has always said that since he got there.

• Administrators

Which is exactly the same as saying they tampered with the stone. They tampered with it when they got there. =_=

I think of tampering with something as changing it, not adding to it. Like if there was writing there, which was written over. Not blank stone that was written on. Just a minor difference in thought process, nothing major :)

I find it a little strange that people are so quick to turn away this theory. I'll acknowledge it has some flaws but there were people screaming that Ascension take place after Moon and that Shangri-La takes place on Mars and some people to this day believe that crap. Hey remember when the map packs spelled FEAR and it meant absolutely nothing?

I don't mean to bad talk anyone, I'm just saying that I see a real connection. There's no way that Brock and Gary are just some explorers who just happen to be looking for Argatha, that might be possible but that's not how story writing works. And it seems you all forget that the time when Gary and Brock are alive during the eclipse is in an unknown time in the past. I'm almost certain it happened after Maxis was teleported by Richtofen and before Shuster and Groph found him. During that time it wasn't known where Maxis was. Perhaps the teleportation caused Maxis to lose some of his memory and all he could remember was that he was searching for Argatha.

I find it a little strange that people are so quick to turn away this theory. I'll acknowledge it has some flaws but there were people screaming that Ascension take place after Moon and that Shangri-La takes place on Mars and some people to this day believe that crap. Hey remember when the map packs spelled FEAR and it meant absolutely nothing?

I don't mean to bad talk anyone, I'm just saying that I see a real connection. There's no way that Brock and Gary are just some explorers who just happen to be looking for Argatha, that might be possible but that's not how story writing works. And it seems you all forget that the time when Gary and Brock are alive during the eclipse is in an unknown time in the past. I'm almost certain it happened after Maxis was teleported by Richtofen and before Shuster and Groph found him. During that time it wasn't known where Maxis was. Perhaps the teleportation caused Maxis to lose some of his memory and all he could remember was that he was searching for Argatha.

they died in Shangri-la...let it go man lol

wen we got there they were dead for soo long, and during the eclipse we go back in time to where they FIRST get trapped, now if you think that was maxis, richtofen wouldnt have reconized his voice or vise versa. during the easter egg we are suppose to free them but they repeatedly die different ways. finally at the end we finished it thinkin they would be freed but no, they die and start to repeat the WHOLE thing again, stuck in that loop. (reminds you of mob of the dead)

and come on, wat explorer or scientist hasnt heard of Argatha? i heard of it YEARSSSS ago before black ops zombies, just because they both mention only should mean that we will finally be goin there