Black Ops violence 'went too far' says Treyarch

Undeadwolfy

Taken from CVG. Sauce: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/ar ... ?id=271261

Call of Duty: Black Ops makes use of a new facial animation capture system so realistic that it had to be toned down for some kills.

"We've completely changed the way we do facial animation," director Dave Anthony told OPM.

"Some of the stuff we've done with Gary Oldman's character is amazing."

But animation director Dominique Drozdz said that the animation was a little too good in places.

"There were situations going too far," he added.

"It was a a contextual kill where you were twisting the neck. It was too much. The throat cutting [is] nasty, but that was worse."

So there you have it people, we've reached the point where killing in games is too realistic. It's all downhill from here.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They shouldn't tone back the games because it's too realistic. M is for those 17 and older, and a 17 year old can handle something like that. I think they wouldn't have to worry about getting an AO rating if the proper aged people were buying the right games.

Retailers should organize them first by stystem of course, but then by rating, and there should be a big sign letting parents know the ratings and which ages the ratings represent. For M games you should have to show your I.D. just like for alcohol. Anyone without I.D. will be considered under the legal age.

I hate that my game is getting toned down because kids who shouldn't be playing these games are doing just that.

have you seen the melee kills in Killzone 3? Check those out. There's throat slitting, neck snapping and eye stabbing action. That isnt getting toned down.

But don't the enemies have masks or helmets over their faces? They're talking about the human emtional expressions of those sorts of things happening. With the motion capture tech they're using they can get the faces very realistic, that's the point treyarch is making.

How is a necksnap or a throat being cut in a video game worse than a movie where there are real people and animation to appear as though real people are being killed, where in the video game, animated figures a being killed. I blame all the 7 year olds that are playing M rated games

You know how overly-sensitive the rating board's can be...... They love to pull the "video games are interactive" excuse whenever they can.

This reminds me of a story I read about a man who had a heart attack, and then was sued because the faces he was making during his heart attack emotionally disturbed some woman. I swear, if I was brought up on charges for THAT shit, I'd give them something to sue me for...assault. Assault HER face. Right in court. With the judge's gavel.

Ok, now don't get me wrong, I think its rediculous that they would tone down an M rated game, but nobody would have even noticed if they didn't announce it soooo. The reason they did announce it is because Activision wants to max out sales, and they knew that saying something like 'lowering violence' would only increase sales. I mean really, how many of you aren't going to buy this game because of this, probably none of you, but by saying they lowered violence some attentive parents might flip from 'not allowing their child to get the game' to 'allowing them to get the game'. Thus increasing sales for Activision, even if by the slimmest of margins.

In conclusion Activision is the devil. :twisted:

This reminds me of a story I read about a man who had a heart attack, and then was sued because the faces he was making during his heart attack emotionally disturbed some woman. I swear, if I was brought up on charges for THAT shit, I'd give them something to sue me for...assault. Assault HER face. Right in court. With the judge's gavel.

There really is no common sense left in the world. That's kind of like a story I heard about a man's dog killing a woman and biting a cop. The cop shot the dog and the owner of the dog sued the cop for killing his dog.

There really is no common sense left in the world. That's kind of like a story I heard about a man's dog killing a woman and biting a cop. The cop shot the dog and the owner of the dog sued the cop for killing his dog.

Aw man, look, to quote Josh Ray Person, there's layers of retardation most people don't even see. That's pretty stupid, but I got a story about the same exact thing, only with the stupid coming from the other side.

The pigs were executing a search warrant at this guy's house. They had the SWAT team waiting outside on the suspicion the man in the house sold some crack, like it was plutonium pellet rods or some shit, and instead of being normal human beings, the ratfuck meathead SWAT team kicked in the door and killed two dogs with their MP5s who were barking because they were startled that a team of armed armored assholes had stormed in. Now of course the guy, his wife, and his kid are all inside when it happened. The search turned up "a small amount of marijuana," police jargon for "jack shit and not enough to legally hold someone on." Hell I even saw the whole video on youtube. And because this is America, these c***suckers still have badges.

Hey, remember Six Days in Fallujah? They said they were still going to make it because they didn't carry their balls in a purse like the people protesting them wanted them to act like. So where the Hell is that game? I'm eagerly anticipating it - dammit it BETTER see the light of day! Hell, Rockstar Games should help - they know a thing or two about capitalizing on controversy.

UndeadWolfy did you read my second post at all?!?

The enemies in Killzone 3 have helmets on covering their faces. You're not seeing a human face and the facial expressions and emotions on that face behind the helmets covering their face. That is what Treyarch is saying. With the motion capture technology they used (same as Avatar's as we all should know by now) that can really get almost every little expression and detail the face of the actor could make, it was too realistic.

There's a big difference between a human face and a mask covering it. That is the point I'm trying to get across with your Killzone 3 vs. Black Ops violence arguement, which renders it invalid.

There is still a stigma with violence within and video games. People still think that video games are played by only kids, but in reality they're not as much anymore. Here in Australia we still don't have a R18+ rating for video games, even though a great deal of the 18+ gaming community has been lobbying for it, myself included.

In the long run Treyarch knows that all the 14-15 year olds love Call of Duty and want it to still be available to you.