End of Chaos Story for BO4?

InfestLithium

• Administrators

As mentioned on Monday's content drops, Jason B. announced that DLC2 would mark an "end" to the Chaos Story for Black Ops 4 as a cliffhanger. This leads us to believe that DLC3 and DLC4 will exclusively be Aether maps, likely ending the story once and for all.

I ran a poll shortly after we heard and asked fans what they thought about it.

Seems like a good amount of people (sample size really) enjoy the idea of no more Chaos Story for the season. What are your thoughts on it?

Personally, I'm disappointed that they're taking the "cut their losses" route. I imagine they realized how much the fans disliked the Chaos story compared to Aether and decided to focus on ending one storyline and then refocus on the next instead of trying to accomplish both. Honestly, that would be tough considering they spoiled us with BOTD and Classified...nobody really complained about the magnitude of those maps (besides gameplay mechanics). This should really give more time and info for Treyarch to properly handle the Chaos story better in the future.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

I think it is good. As far as I understand it, the chaos crew will be back next season as well and right now I am just craving more Ultimis stuff.

Aufgeschoben ist nicht aufgehoben. ? As in we will get more chaos stuff in the next season. All in all I gotta say though, I don't really have anything against the chaos crew or it's story.

On 2/20/2019 at 7:27 PM, InfestLithium said:

Personally, I'm disappointed that they're taking the "cut their losses" route.

Why do you think this is what happened may I ask? I would’ve thought the plan was always to have 2 maps per story in the DLC season. Although I expected them to be spaced out so as to have 1 Aether map in one DLC, and a Chaos map in the next.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the keywords for his statement were that it was the end of the Chaos Storyline "for this season".

I think that implies a lot as to whether or not there's more after this DLC season ends. After all, they did mention some time ago that they wish to support this game for longer than a year. So... maybe, other than a DLC 5 after the fact, we'll see more maps drop, after the next game drops. At least, from a business perspective, I can see the uses of that.

...and one more thing:

On 3/4/2019 at 5:43 PM, Pessysquad said:

Good. Let it end.  Everyone wants aether back! 

Aether's bound to end with BO4. They're likely to carry on Chaos long after this game. We may well want it back, but we may not have it for long.

I, for one, do like certain elements and directions the story for Chaos is taking. Certainly, the non-sequential storytelling isn't good, and Dead of the Night is the biggest borefest of Black Ops 4 (next to VoD, although I'm still making my post regarding opinions on that). But the mystique of the "Nine" and the alchemical elements scattered about are enough to intrigue me.

(...plus, IX is the perfect map, don't @ me).

• Moderators

I have a feeling that Treyarch will want this upcoming DLC 2 to be the Chaos story’s Der Riese and leave fans wanting more when it returns next year. I mean people aren’t that interested in Chaos now, but given a year’s time and the end of Aether? Maybe so.

I just want Aether to end this year in a good fashion. It will be almost poetic as I enter my last year of college to see it all wrap up and move to a new chapter in life. (Also let me write the storybook in peace without fear of having to scrap everything.)

• Administrators
3 hours ago, RadZakpak said:

I have a feeling that Treyarch will want this upcoming DLC 2 to be the Chaos story’s Der Riese and leave fans wanting more when it returns next year. I mean people aren’t that interested in Chaos now, but given a year’s time and the end of Aether? Maybe so.

The Chaos maps themselves are actually quite nice and there aren't current complaints in the community about them, ignoring general glitches/bugs of course.

IX = Kino

VOD = FIVE

DOTN = Verruckt

Their layouts are actually quite nice and offer different play styles. But I agree that a "Der Riese" - esque version would be cool. But what constitutes that type of map? Der Riese was simply an old map that was small-medium in size and offered getaway transportation via teleporters. Other than that, it didn't offer too much besides becoming the biggest nostalgia map in Zombies history because of what it introduced at the time.

3 hours ago, RadZakpak said:

I just want Aether to end this year in a good fashion. It will be almost poetic as I enter my last year of college to see it all wrap up and move to a new chapter in life. (Also let me write the storybook in peace without fear of having to scrap everything.)

No doubt they heard the outcry from the end of BO3 and plan on changing the sentiment. I'm sure DLC2 will give us huge leeway into a satisfying ending.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, InfestLithium said:

Their layouts are actually quite nice and offer different play styles. But I agree that a "Der Riese" - esque version would be cool. But what constitutes that type of map? Der Riese was simply an old map that was small-medium in size and offered getaway transportation via teleporters. Other than that, it didn't offer too much besides becoming the biggest nostalgia map in Zombies history because of what it introduced at the time.

I mean the sentiment more in a progression of that story and its style of map. Nacht and Verruckt were not much for story, and purely focused on gameplay and an intriguing setup. IX and Voyage feel strangely disjointed without DotN and seem to be more focused on establishing the characters and setup. Like Shi No, DotN gives more context, new characters, and tries to establish more lore while not going overboard. But Der Riese was so packed full of secrets, easter eggs, radios, and character quotes that kept the community going for a year until Black Ops released. Also as you said Teleporters and Pack-a-Punch really changed the game. It would be in Treyarch’s best interest for Ancient Evil to be Der Riese level of lore-rich so the community can develop theories and speculate about next year, because as of now there isn’t much to talk about besides what we are explicitly told.

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Lenne said:

Do you mean in a CoD that isn't from Treyarch? 

I think they just want to focus more on the Aether story at the moment. 

Chaos seems like it has potential, and I don't think the story will end yet.

It may return in BO5, if there is a BO5.

However, there are theories that the Choas and Aether story have a connection so it could be stopping for that reason. I don't think they would discontinue Choas, as there was just a Choas map released.

But, I haven't played zombies for very long, so i'm not an expert.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, HolyShtItsAZombie said:

I think they just want to focus more on the Aether story at the moment. 

Chaos seems like it has potential, and I don't think the story will end yet.

It may return in BO5, if there is a BO5.

However, there are theories that the Choas and Aether story have a connection so it could be stopping for that reason. I don't think they would discontinue Choas, as there was just a Choas map released.

But, I haven't played zombies for very long, so i'm not an expert.

Blundell implied in a somewhat recent livestream that there will be a second season of content next year. So definitely more Chaos maps, and maybe more Aether. Even more evidence is the rumors of MW4 not having zombies, and having a campaign. They will try to extend the lifetime of BO4 zombies and Blackout well into MW4.

Archived