Cross-console action.

Cross-console gaming:   

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The latest Fable game for the xbox one will hopefully offer a fantastic revolution, as it will be the first game to offer cross-console action, being able to fight against both PC players and Xbox one players. 

I'm here to discuss the pros and cons of COD 2015 being cross-console

There are the obvious pros like:  

- More people to play with 

- PC PS4 and XBONE players can now finally play together?! Epic!

- No more waiting for every console to get an update, all lobbies are shared. -This does not mean that DLC is available to all when it comes first to XBL. Sorry but that's just how the system works. 

But there are some downsides too: 

-The way the controls are set up, certain games, particularly FPSs like COD, make maneuverability superior for PC gamers. Console gamers typically are in the same boat, however PC gamers can have an unfair advantage. 

-It's fair to say it's 12 times easier to hack a PC lobby then it is to hack an XBONE lobby. Now they're all shared which can lead to more hacked lobbies. 

That being said: Do we want cross-console gaming?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd give my right nut for this to happen.  It means my dream of never having to buy a console again would be realised.

I'm a little cynical of it happening however.  Unfortunately there are just too many fanboys out there on all sides of the issue, and this would bring it all to a head.

*  The majority of console gamers going into mixed lobbies playing against mouse and keyboard would get their arses handed to them.  They would accuse everyone of hacking and hate PC gamers more.  

*  PC gamers playing on small monitors at extreme framerates would have an even greater advantage, exacerbating the above issue.

Why I think it might happen.

*  If Microsoft do this with just the Xbone and PC, they will come to dominate the gaming market for ever.  Sony will begin to slowly but surely lose exclusives as Xbone and PC are now basically one market.

Re hacking - punkbuster service is pretty damn good at stopping hacked lobbies, not sure how they would implement it on Xbone although as it will be running on windows 10, it shouldn't be an issue.

Why I hope it doesn't happen.

*  PC game prices will rise in the short term I believe.  That could be a permanent thing, I'm not sure.

*  PC gamers could be asked to pay for something like Xbox Live, to enable this feature.  That would put me personally in a difficult spot, as I'd have a hard decision to make on whether my principles outweigh my desire to play with my friends.

For zombies itself, there is literally no reason to not do this.  Controls are nowhere near as important, and it would widen the player base that Microsoft has. 

For MP, it's a little more complicated.  I can't see Microsoft wanting their console players to actually see how superior PC gaming can be, in terms of controls and graphics.

On the other hand, Microsoft not doing this makes me a little suspicious about what kind of cooperation they actually have with Sony in the larger gaming sense.

Joining Xbone and PC games would eventually destroy Sony as a gaming platform, so why haven't they done it already?

• Moderators

"as it will be the first game to offer cross-console action"

I thought you were a fan of Portal?

Then you should know that Portal II already did that.

From PS3 to PC that is.

It would be sick if that happened though, but it never will, as long as any exclusive contract exists for CoD.

Do I want something like this in the future? Of course.

Can I see it feasibly happening for Call of Duty, and gaming as a whole in the future? Not for a long time, if ever. Fable is being developed with this in mind. Call of Duty, and other games by that extension, most likely won't consider this "feature" as something important. As it stands right now, this is nothing more than a pipe-dream.

It's a very unrealistic scenario that will literally never happen.

It would be nice to have PS/XB cross play, but again will never happen. PC gamers, especially for COD, aren't a huge base of players anymore. When you factor in all the potential for screwing the leaderboards, they aren't worth even bothering with.

What I would really like is solid netcode with no disconnections, then they can concentrate on something like this.

I feel people seem to forget that Microsoft owns Xbox and 90% of PC gamers are on Windows.

Any leaderboards can be screwed with, as seen on all of the black ops maps.

Punkbuster is very good at stopping hacking.

The above poster manages to make PC gamers seem like another species. COD started on PC after all.

PlayStation vs Xbox is never going to happen that is just reality. Either console matched against PC is plausible but if it's a PvP shooter game it would be extremely unbalanced as the keyboard and mouse players would shred the console players.

My ideal situation would be just allowing zombies lobbies.  I've said before that the danger with MP is exactly what you said.

It would lead to constant accusations of hacking and aimbots from console gamers not used to the incredible control advantage that PC gamers have.

I've only been using m/kb for around a month and aiming is just too easy.

PlayStation vs Xbox is never going to happen that is just reality. Either console matched against PC is plausible but if it's a PvP shooter game it would be extremely unbalanced as the keyboard and mouse players would shred the console players.

My ideal situation would be just allowing zombies lobbies.  I've said before that the danger with MP is exactly what you said.

It would lead to constant accusations of hacking and aimbots from console gamers not used to the incredible control advantage that PC gamers have.

I've only been using m/kb for around a month and aiming is just too easy.

There's an idea: Co-op lobbies only! 

I feel people seem to forget that Microsoft owns Xbox and 90% of PC gamers are on Windows.

The above poster manages to make PC gamers seem like another species. COD started on PC after all.

I'm just pointing out that Call of Duty is a console game, and that is where the majority of people play it. It's no platform war shit. There's a hack for everything, fortunately ps4/1 haven't been cracked yet, so the leaderboards will be more legitimate than pc's.

I'm just pointing out that Call of Duty is a console game, and that is where the majority of people play it. It's no platform war shit. There's a hack for everything, fortunately ps4/1 haven't been cracked yet, so the leaderboards will be more legitimate than pc's.

Ironically CoD4 and World at War are unplayable on consoles and there is much less hacks on PC.

Ironically CoD4 and World at War are unplayable on consoles and there is much less hacks on PC.

If they started caring about their PC releases again, and re-add dedicated server support, this issue would largely resolve itself.