Pre-download DLC

@Naitrax brought this to my attention, where before I didn't even know it existed. 

Pre-downloading DLC. This would mean downloading DLC 2-3 days in advance to drop time, but still not being able to play it until launch. This method is mainly in place for those whom HATE downloading things for their slow internet, this way they would be given plenty of time (2-3 days is plenty of time for even the slowest internet) to download, so when it launched we can all quickly stick it in and play immediately. 

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ten minutes?!? It took me 5 hours to download die rise!

Well, hardwiring has it's advantages. When I used wifi, it took 30 mins, stick the cable in there and you cut the time in half. It's fantastic. I know it isn't an option for everyone on a permanent basis, but running the cord just to do the download should be considered.

Plus over the past two years, my internet went from 30mbps, to 60, to 120. My router only sends 60 via wifi... I check the internet service website every couple of months to see if they have upgraded my service. The last 2 times the top package was the same price as the one we were already paying.

The only thing that sucks about my internet, is the bandwidth cap. 475GB's isn't as much as you think it is.

Edited by BestOfAllTime32

I would imagine that this would be an easy target for those tech savvy folks to crack into content early and ruin it for the rest.

Only thing I can see wrong with this, but remember; they do it with their games, which are a hell of a lot more valuable than a $20 DLC.

Also, the DLC packages for Call of Duty are released on Xbox systems first, and it'd be a hell of a lot harder to crack than if they simply gave us the files on PC.

I can see the point in this and it is something I've deliberated over, however I do believe that having it simply 24-48 hours before launch doesn't leave people with much time to crack the files.

Hmm.. When the times comes I'm going to find a way to move the XBONE upstairs and…. Actually I'll be in a dorm won't i…. Shit...

That's unfortunate. Shared wifi is horrid. I suppose it might not be bad at 3am when everyone is asleep, but during the day it is the worst.

Re: hacking in early, yep that's the problem. But we all know these companies want an all digital future, so at some point the have to give people some incentives. I just looked at AW last night on the Canada psn store. 69.99 for the base game, 109.99 for the one with all dlc. In theory that's 20 bucks off of the game + dlc separately, not to mention the taxes. So I am buying AW that way, once I find out what the coop mode is, or they have one of those spend x get 10 back events.

Really good idea, it will probably be a thing as you can get a lot of digital games predownloaded before their release.

Something else, in Dark Souls 2, all their dlc is 100kb because they are infact just Unlocks, more or less an item that you have to use to even see the next part of the game, if it's doesn't exist in the game, than that area is unreachable. Could be altered for a map based game too, that way even the worst internet imaginable wouldn't be an issue with 100kb.

12-24 hours would be ideal.

I was just thinking that. Even at 12 hours, it'd give most of us a chance to start downloading, and to have the file somewhat ready for launch.

I really pray they do bring this in though. Nemesis I forgot to download, I ended up having my first game at 1130pm, and I'd started to download it at 630!

You think that's bad, I started my Origins download at 7pm when it dropped and it only just finished at 6am when I got up to play it.

12-24 hours would be ideal.

I was just thinking that. Even at 12 hours, it'd give most of us a chance to start downloading, and to have the file somewhat ready for launch.

I really pray they do bring this in though. Nemesis I forgot to download, I ended up having my first game at 1130pm, and I'd started to download it at 630!

You think that's bad, I started my Origins download at 7pm when it dropped and it only just finished at 6am when I got up to play it. Wow dude, how fast is your broadband?! Mines only 2mb, usually works out at about 1.2 down and 0.2 up!