115 - Maxis' Poison

Today, something finally clicked in me. Well, 2 things, but they are separate and will be addressed separately.

The first of these was about Maxis, and his apparent suicide for no reason in front of the MPD on the Moon.

This is evidenced in the radio on Moon, where Maxis asks Samantha to "Kill them... all.". After he speaks those words, a few sounds are heard, and then a gunshot. Many, me included, believe this to be Maxis killing himself. After this happens, Schuster screams "No!" and Maxis' soul is absorbed into the MPD.

What led Maxis to kill himself?

I believe it was a combination of 2 things; sickness and knowledge.

What? You don't understand? I thought as much. Allow me to elaborate.

Maxis had 115 poisoning.

Marie Curie

225px-Marie_Curie_c1920.jpg

Marie Skłodowska Curie, c. 1920

Marie Curie worked alongside radiation her entire life. After all, she coined the term itself. So when she died, no one suspected it was the radiation poisoning that killed her.

I believe that Maxis, after working so closely with Element 115 for many years, had suffered a similar fate. He was slowly dying due to the radioactive effects of 115. He knew that he would not survive for much longer, so when Schuster collected him to talk to Sam, the ideas were already forming in the great scientist's head.

This brings me to my next point.

Richtofen is an unreasonable man who works only for his own causes. His promises, while once respected, now meant nothing. When Maxis ended up on the Moon, and when Richtofen told him of his needs, Maxis knew one thing: Richtofen had no plans to let them live once he had removed Samantha from the MPD. He knew, either way, that he would die here, either with his child or without her.

From here, Maxis proceeds to kill himself and be absorbed by his daughter into the MPD.

I know this was strange, but I think these to be very logical reasons which could support this theory of his suicide.

~Nai

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, I never considered that was him shooting himself. Richtofens initial plan was to kill Sam and Maxis and by accident sent them to Griffon Station, where he ordered his team to locate Maxis through some DNA teleportation thing (how come we haven't heard any more of this tech?), for the fact to simply finish him right?

They needed him to coax Samantha out of the Pyramid, as soon as he says "Kill them all" the shot is fired from someone who probably realizes it's all over at this point, and atleast finished Richtofens request.  I like the idea of the OP though, never had thought of it like that.

They needed him to coax Samantha out of the Pyramid, as soon as he says "Kill them all" the shot is fired from someone who probably realizes it's all over at this point, and atleast finished Richtofens request.  I like the idea of the OP though, never had thought of it like that.

This would be believable, if it were not for the fact that it is NOT Maxis who screams "No!" once the shot has been fired. I actually believed him to be shot until a couple of months ago when somebody mentioned it to me, and it got me thinking. I scoured back over the audio logs and found that it definitely sounded like Maxis shot himself.

Thank you.

Good read, and nice thinking about the poisoning. Hadn't considered that. Though, we don't know if 115 would poison someone... though hey, for all we know it could be the case. 

Brains given.

Well, I don't know for certain that the version of 115 in the game is radioactive, but the real one is.

Either way, it is quite a strange thing, and I would not rule out it having some adverse effect of continued exposure.

I definitely agree. That sounds like sound logic for why he did that.

MMX Seal of Approval™

The few sounds you mention just before Maxis gets shot are the gun getting pulled from underneath the shooter's clothes.

This would answer the biggest contradiction in the Suicide Theory, namely: why/how did Maxis get a hold of a gun to shoot himself without Shuster and Groph knowing about it.

It's simple, he hid it in his coat and pulled it out right after saying his goodbye to his daughter.

This then caused Shuster/Groph to scream no because they still needed him.

Nice thread @Naitrax. We are lacking theories that dare to dive into unexplored territory.

Bwaaains to you.

Why would they still need him? They had perfected teleportation and Richtofen was even making the weapons, what other purpose could a betrayed scientist contribute to Griffon Station? I only ask for the sake of debate, and out of curiosity because after all this time I still miss these little bits, like the sound of a gun being pulled from a coat.

Also the fact that he killed himself in front of his daughter....that's harsh even for zombies lore, but I suppose drastic times don't permit a well thought out plan.

Nice thread.

Withouth a doubt, Maxis was affected by 115. The Servant Entry Files serve as a proof:

***SERVANT ENTRY B70326***

*Ludwig Maxis

*Personal file

*Edward has grown impatient

*He insists on accelerating

*Our projects.

*Regardless of the fact that

*The 115 is limited.

*He grows angry. Short.

*It was a mistake to invite him,

*He cannot be trusted.

*He watches me.

*He watches Samantha.

*He watches Sophia.

*And his latest creation

*The monkey.

*It screams when set aflame.

*Then again

*Perhaps it is the 115

*Affecting my mind

*I can no longer discern.

***END FILE*** 

Nice post Nai, I had never thought about Maxis being poisoned & I was also going to post the Data Servant entry @JuggerWicho posted. Maxis says that it may be the 115 affecting him.

I am a believer that maxis shot himself in the Moon radios, maybe this is another motive for him to do so.