Dying Light

• Administrators

DLbanner_zpsfc2f4a2c.png

BAckground_zpse4f9c419.png

Dying light is the latest project by Techland the developers who brought Dead Island and Dead Island Riptide. If you are anything like myself you love the zombie genre, but even I was disappointment with their previous titles. The overused game mechanics andrepetitive missions of obtaining an object for a helpless victim of the Apocalypse, was comparable the slamming my head against the wall. The environment were shotty and story/character development lacking. However the devs have claimed there have been huge advances in the next game and have promised that Dying Light will be a AAA game. If you don't feel like reading through the whole thread I'll get the the point. Hard Core Parkour + Zombies= F**K YEAHH!!!

interview_zps643f6a16.png

Recent Interview with Tymon Smektala at EuroGamer:

"You have to consider that Dead Island was our first open-world game so we had to learn some lessons the hard way, But our level design team has grown three-fold [since then], and the same can be said of our quality assurance team."

"We've really put a lot of resources into playtesting so we make sure this game is a AAA project. We really feel we need to prove to people that we have made a AAA game and we're confident we're doing it."

"Where Dead Island had a slow, plodding progression and some ropey-looking environments, Dying Light has traversal mechanics more akin to Mirror's Edge, a challenging day/night cycle and a fresh engine for use on next-gen consoles."

"Dying Light is a game that's quite different to Dead Island," Smektala added. "It's more mature and more serious. I think people will be surprised by our story to some extent, by our gameplay and how complex it is."

"When you put Dead Island's gameplay mechanics on paper, it is a hack and slash game. Put Dying Light's mechanics on a piece of paper and you'll have to use all of that page to describe what the game's all about and how it plays."

Dying Light still has a vague 2014 release date, but work is progressing well, Smektala concluded. The team has hit the game's alpha and now has months to iron out remaining bugs.

"A couple of weeks ago we hit alpha, which means that the whole game is there. It's not all working yet, but it's now only a matter of iteration to make things perfect. We still have a couple of months to do it and I'm looking at schedules and timelines and deadlines and I'm pretty confident we'll be able to give players something that is close to perfect."

summary_zps2c141f5e.png

Dying Light is a first-person, action survival horror game set in a vast and dangerous open world. During the day, players traverse an expansive urban environment overrun by a vicious outbreak, scavenging the world for supplies and crafting weapons to defend against the growing infected population. At night, the hunter becomes the hunted, as the infected become aggressive and more dangerous. Most frightening are the predators which only appear after sundown. Players must use everything in their power to survive until the morning’s first light.

features_zps132f477e.png

• Survive the Night - During the day, players roam free and scavenge for supplies and weapons. But at night, the world undergoes a deadly transformation: the hunter becomes the hunted as the infected grow more aggressive and numerous, and something far more sinister awakens to stalk its prey.
  • Free Running Movement - Whether tracking prey or escaping predators, Dying Light lets players swiftly navigate the world by seamlessly leaping between buildings, grappling up walls and pouncing on unsuspecting enemies.
  • Open World Environments - Dying Light is set in a vast open world, delivering expansive and varied environments, a wide variety of enemy classes and a hopeless tale of survival where resources are scarce and the infected are not the only threat.
  • Brutal Melee and Ranged Combat - get up-close using a variety of light and heavy weapons including knives, bats, axes, sledgehammers and more exotic weaponry or utilize guns and other firepower to take down enemies from a distance.
  • Choose Your Play Style - Dying Light features four playable characters that can be fully customized and upgraded to match any play style.
  • Craft Your Weapon - Why use a wrench when you can use a wrench wrapped in electrified barbed wire? Dying Light's sizeable crafting system enables players to create a slew of new, more potent weapons and equipment, as well as specialized ammunition.
  • Breathtaking Visuals and Gameplay - Dying Light is the first game powered by Chrome Engine 6, a cutting edge incarnation of Techland's proprietary technology, designed from the ground up for the new console generation, DirectX 11 and other advanced solutions.

game_zpsf826115a.png

Now that we have gotten the gory details out of the way. I will leave this thread open for:

• Thoughts on the upcoming game.
  • Additional information released from the devs.
  • Game discussion following the launch.
  • Just as with CoD No Leaks

worfff_zps43b654d8.png

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

You were right Boom. I had a good look at this the other day, and it's exactly like you described.

It's like Dead Island, if it were good.

Exactly, I heard rumor that is will be Co Op (up to four people). I better see you on there!

I can confirm co-op. 

Game looks interesting. I'm not really getting my hopes up that this game will be great just yet though.

Main thing that bothers me is the developer - Techland.

Call of Juarez: The Cartel (sucked), Dead Island (disappointed, but okay), Dead Island Riptide (sucked). (and a bunch of karaoke games)

Pretty much all medicore games in my opinion.

But hey, maybe this'll be their turning point. (I really hope so)

• 3 months later...

I've played this game

It's pretty fun, the environment is much nicer looking than dead island 

I played a mission where I had to rescue a little girl from a wardrobe and then I climbed onto a bridge to fight a boss of some sort, I don't really remember too much.

But yeh, had fun but nothing was really mind blowing about it.

• Administrators

I've played this game

It's pretty fun, the environment is much nicer looking than dead island 

I played a mission where I had to rescue a little girl from a wardrobe and then I climbed onto a bridge to fight a boss of some sort, I don't really remember too much.

But yeh, had fun but nothing was really mind blowing about it.

Yeah the demo was cool, but it didn't include the night mode. The night has a lot of scare factors which is what I am mainly interested in.

I'm skeptical of this game. It seems the zombie franchise is kind of being done to death (no pun intended).

It's just funny to me that those zombie guys who made two zombie games are making another zombie game, while also making a zombie MOBA.

I'm with you on that. I hope it's good, but I almost don't see how it could be, unless the whole night mode thing is really as good as they claim. Dead Island is as tedious as can be. The gameplay I've seen of Dying Light looks almost the same, with the added ability of parkour. 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Administrators

This game looks like it is shaping up to be pretty decent. I know people think the Zombie genre is being done to death, but I can't get enough. This could also mean that there are big things on the horizon for Dead Island 2: California Advanture.

Skip to about 16 minutes

• 2 weeks later...

@Boom Sorry babe, but this game is pretty boring overall. At least that's my first impressions of it.

Been playing for 3-4 hours. Missions are uninspired; it's your typical 'here's my chores list' stuff, and the world feels dull and empty. Night mode is freaking awesome though.

• Administrators

@Boom Sorry babe, but this game is pretty boring overall. At least that's my first impressions of it.

Been playing for 3-4 hours. Missions are uninspired; it's your typical 'here's my chores list' stuff, and the world feels dull and empty. Night mode is freaking awesome though.

Ah I was hoping to get away from the Dead Island dynamic of "I left my pearl necklace at the other hut. Please get it for me!". How long is the storyline playthrough supposed to run?

Wow, thread created in Jan 2014....

I watched about 20 minutes of a few different streams last night. Atmosphere & graphics looked really good.

I only played one of the dead islands for about half an hour & didn't really like the "comic" feel. Dying light looked more realistic from what I could tell.

I was kind of turned off by what seemed to be repetitive "open this cupboard, collect items" & I wasn't even playing it. I really don't like tht much repetitiveness. Such a turn off.

I might have to watch some more streams though to get into this game.