My theory on Die Rise

Simply Epic

Hello, and welcome to my theory on what I believe Die Rise will be like as a map, what game mode it will be, and a little about the storyline.

Now, if you haven't seen the Revolution DLC Map Pack Preview, uploaded on Call of Duty's YouTube channel, here is the link to it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ruv2xMLuaoA

This video shows us a lot about the upcoming DLC, but what I am going to focus on is the information we get about Die Rise.

The location

Reza Elghazi, the producer of the zombie team states that Die Rise takes place in the far east. Information that Amazon UK has released states that the map takes place in China. The location could be verified by looking at the text shown on the billboards and posters shown in the video, however I cannot define the languages.

The area in which the map takes place looks to be a large city, and we see gameplay inside skyscrapers. Reza says that there will be: "Open areas of gameplay as well as very narrow, dark corridors". This sounds very interesting, I would assume that inside much of the skyscrapers there are corridors and elevators, and perhaps there will be a few open rooms, maybe the top garden of a sky scraper, maybe even on the ground.

So, what does this tell us about the storyline of zombies?

Well, in my opinion, at the moment, very little. We know that Shi No Numa took place in a part of now China (1945 Japan), so perhaps it could have something to do with the large amounts of 115 being found there (remember it was being put into creates and shipped internationally for research back in the 40s). Another theory could be that either Maxis, Richtofen, Marlton or even Samantha told the characters to head there for a reason currently unknown to us.

Gamemode and gameplay mechanics

I believe that Die Rise could be either a TranZit map, or a survival map, to a similar scale of Moon.

Reasons to believe that Die Rise will be a TranZit mode

Treyarch have taken a lot of pride in this creation, and running up to the release of Black Ops 2 they said something a long the lines of: 'TranZit mode progresses the story'.

If the map were to be TranZit mode, I think that the helicopter, seen in the promotional picture of Die Rise, and the artwork posted on Treyarch's Twitter (I believe) will be involved.

As we can see from this image, there seems to be more than just one skyscraper, and more than one will most likely be playable in. This begs the question: How will we travel between the skyscrapers?

Well the helicopter of course! I think the helicopter will act similarly to the bus on Greenrun, it will stop off at each 'depot' for a little, and wait for players to enter it. This would be a great way of Treyarch to take travel and TranZit to a whole new level.

As can be seen from this developers image, shown on a monitor and explained on the video, elevator shafts will play a part in Die Rise. I think a secondary form of travel in Die Rise could be elevators, that, insted of alike to five where they are controlled by the player, they act similarly to the bus, and stay at a point for a certain amount of time, and then move to the next 'stop'. This way we do not have to risk dangerous jumps within the elevator shaft.

Reasons to believe that Die Rise will be a survival mode map

Die Rise is never actually stated to be a new 'TranZit mode map' anywhere in the trailer, instead it is referred too as a new co-operative map.

Despite my ideas of the helicopter, it would be rather hard to script I'd imagine, plus what would happen to the zombies while you are in transmission? Also you'd be stuck on the helicopter while it is in flight, unlike the bus.

TranZit mode was widely considered a step too far within the zombie community, and perhaps they have learnt their 'lesson' and decided to go back to the Black Ops 1 style of map.

Marlton's absence from the video

Marlton does not actually appear in the video, while the other three Greenrun characters do.

Possible reasons for this:

1) Marlton is simply not shown in the trailer because it is not a storyline trailer (like Shi no Numa's, Der Rieses' and Kino der Toten's, and therefore does not represent the zombie plot. He may not be shown because there were only three people in the game when they were collecting footage, or they simply got good footage elsewhere, and the person playing as him simply wasn't in shot at that point.

2) Marlton died at Greenrun, or shortly after. These characters do seem rather dispensable at present, and perhaps they will all get killed off eventually,and be replaced with Dempsey, Nikolai, Takeo and maybe Samanatha (I hesitate because she's in Richtofen's body, which may confuse none hardcore players, perhaps one of the Greenrun characters may join Dempsey and co.). Credit for this idea goes to the user: Imjayisthatokay, on a thread discussing Die Rise.

3) Marlton has joined Dempsey, Nikolai, Takeo and Samantha, and will be playable along with three of these old characters on a future DlC map. All 8 characters may have met up after the events of Greenrun and set out a plan of action (The characters are not trapped on the Moon, they can reach area51), involving Marlton to help Samantha take down Richtofen, and the remaining three Greenrun crew to do a job in the far east.

I believe both 2 and 3 to be unlikely, however if 3 is correct it could lead to a very nice storyline, perhaps Samantha has joined Misty, Russ and Samuel.

I may add more to this as more information emerges about Die Rise.

Thank you for reading, post your thoughts, below!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just gonna quote my thread for my take on why the crew is in China. ;)

Now, I hate assuming, but let's assume that the map takes place in Shanghai. A quick Google search brings up this image(and many others):

See that large tower on the left? That is the Oriental Pearl Tower, which was the tallest structure in China from 1994-2007 at 468 m (1,535 feet) high. What kind of tower is it?

It is a radio/tv tower.

Perhaps the new side mission in Die Rise is to re-activate this tower and communicate with our fellows on the Moon?

EDIT: Also liked to point out this:

Look how "far east" Shanghai is. ;)

I've heard so many people say that Die Rise will not be a TranZit mode map. If so, then why would we see the TranZit characters in the trailer? TranZit is the new "main" game mode, having the most relevance to the storyline, as well as larger scale easter eggs. So, if there were no TranZit.. then Die Rise would have no relevance in the story and would be a pointless map, only with an interesting and innovative new gamestyle.

This is a very good discovergy, Shanghai does look similar to what we have seen of Die Rise so far!

I'm not sure why the Greenrun crew would want to communicate with Dempsey, Nikolai, Takeo and Samantha at all however, unless Maxis told them to.

Also I'm pretty sure they're not trapped on the moon, as they can simply use the teleporter to return to a fairly destruced earth. However perhaps they are stuck on moon/contained within area51, or they are just somewhere on earth, and we need to contact them. Nice theory!

I've heard so many people say that Die Rise will not be a TranZit mode map. If so, then why would we see the TranZit characters in the trailer? TranZit is the new "main" game mode, having the most relevance to the storyline, as well as larger scale easter eggs. So, if there were no TranZit.. then Die Rise would have no relevance in the story and would be a pointless map, only with an interesting and innovative new gamestyle.

Well my reasons for it being a survival map touch on that; Treyarch may have scrapped this idea somewhat, and gone back to the Black Ops 1 style. However I do agree, I think it will most likely be TranZit.

Anyway, I'm going to bed now, I'll read any responses after school tomorrow!

i suppose its all speculation. i believe thier choice of words of co op map was to state it will be both game modes with survival being different buildings like how green run is broken up. of course i could be completely wrong but it would be logical they keep thier formula

I would love there to be a helicopter that transports you from scraper to scraper! And then it would be like that TV show Jungle Run (UK C.I.T.V, it's still on after all these years!), the further you go down the better objects you get. You could stay at the top and have no access to weapons, perks or a PaP machine OR you can travel down the dark depths of the buildings in an attempt to find more... course it wouldn't be THAT simple, there maybe a little confusion the further you go, on how the bloomin' heck you get back up, or down... blinkin' painting...

If I'm honest if you took the names Green Run & Die Rise together they both do seem like map names so Die Rise could still be a big map like Green Run which is split like Green Run is, one big game mode (like TranZit where everything is there + extras), griefing modes (original grief and turned) and then the survival maps!

I would love there to be a helicopter that transports you from scraper to scraper! And then it would be like that TV show Jungle Run (UK C.I.T.V, it's still on after all these years!), the further you go down the better objects you get. You could stay at the top and have no access to weapons, perks or a PaP machine OR you can travel down the dark depths of the buildings in an attempt to find more... course it wouldn't be THAT simple, there maybe a little confusion the further you go, on how the bloomin' heck you get back up, or down... blinkin' painting...

If I'm honest if you took the names Green Run & Die Rise together they both do seem like map names so Die Rise could still be a big map like Green Run which is split like Green Run is, one big game mode (like TranZit where everything is there + extras), griefing modes (original grief and turned) and then the survival maps!

Lol, Jungle Run, I remember that!

I think we'll probably start of in the middle of a skyscraper, then we can go up and the access more. I can imagine one falling down at a certain time, giving us easy access too another one.

I thought Area 51 or at least the part of Area 51 with the the teleporter got completly blown off of the earth seeing how you can see earth from the teleporter.

Could be true. Although area 51 has an atmosphere, and the same gravitational pull as the earth. I've a feeling a parallel universe has been created.