Campaign to stop useless newb posts

weston_19

Ive posted in suggestions my idea but would like to gain some support if it is justified. Both general and tranzit forums for black ops 2 have been taken over by what i can only describe as impulse posting. 70% of the threads on page one are new members ignoring t&c to post one sentence topics when another 4 or 5 page topic exists on the same subject. The legit topics are getting washed away by the tsunami of garbage. I propose a temporary topic creation cap that forces new members to have a minimum amount of posts before making a new topic. Say 40-50. It would help get things in order, as im sure some of you are getting sick of telling people to use the search feature and posting in the appropriate forums. Ive seen it used on another forum, it reduces the crap and lets people get familiar with navigating the site. Maybe im just a dick, and i know its in the wrong forum, but nobody is paying any attention to anything but the next step. But im postin this because we cannot focus on the legit posts and could very well completly miss a great idea once it dissapears under newb posts.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On the contrary, im getting sick of the "vets" thinking they are high and mighty and overall being extremely rude and as unhelpful as the people they are complaining. The way a forum works is that someone posts something, if it generates interest, people post in it. If what u said about the good topics being washed away by garbage were true, then thats the fault of the people commenting on the newer topics and letting the old ones die. Is it that hard to ignore a topic you dont like? Instead of being asses to someone who may have posted something u have already seen, just ignore the topic or point them in the right direction. To that point, not everyone has seen what you have seen. The new topic may have brought some new info to someone. A post cap does nothing to fix what u said, all it would do is alienate people or cause more spam. The zombies story is extremely complex and not everyone is on the right page. Dont be a dick, be helpful. This topic and this post is also not helping anything and is spam, so you are adding to the problem.

Then create a newb forum so they can spam there. That way nobody feels alienated. As for topics getting bumped, im sorry but that sounds just like capitalism, whatever gets attention stays. Its how you end up having to search for hours to find what your looking for. If you search and find 35 threads on the same thing, which one do you post in? Vets are dicks because this keeps happening every time somthing new happens. After putting up no tresspassing signs and asking nicely your going to get frustrated. Im not surprised vets are annoyed, im new here and im already frustrated. As for spam, im trying to offer a solution, not "Omg guys nav card accepted?"

I understand your feelings, both of you, but play nice. Dg-4 running in here and yelling at him does not make you look very good.

However, a post cap before creating new topics, is not the way I would go about it. Some new users actually come up with great ideas, and restricting them to only comment instead of create new topics for their first 10 or so posts is a waste of time, and an unnecessary hassle in my opinion.

That being said however, it cannot be ignored that for awhile we had almost a new thread about the laundromat door (the same info, and sometimes even same video) at least twice a day, for about a week. People do need to work on not posting duplicate threads. I see Way2G00 has wrangled up all the different threads on the ranking system speculation (and boy there were a lot of them) into one "official" thread. So way to go Way2g00!

EDIT:

With respect to duplicate posts, if you see one that contains no new information, I can merge it with other threads, just report it by clicking the little "!" above the text of the message. Say it's a duplicate thread, and someone will (hopefully) get around to taking care of that. Also, with somethings it is easier to create "official" threads for them because they are solid topics, like how to get the Achievement, and speculation on the ranking system, but with the Green Run post-achievement EE it's tough, because each new post might contain something that no one even knew existed in the game before, like the beams of light from the laundry door, or the orb thing that OPL just posted about with the triangle of turbines. (granted that could be old, I haven't actually done the EE myself yet) So it's hard to tell who is a troll, or who is too excited to wait for their video proof to be ready, because honestly I don't constantly record my games, and theater mode is quite buggy at times. I've had several matches just disappear.

I understand your feelings, both of you, but play nice. Dg-4 running in here and yelling at him does not make you look very good.

However, a post cap before creating new topics, is not the way I would go about it. Some new users actually come up with great ideas, and restricting them to only comment instead of create new topics for their first 10 or so posts is a waste of time, and an unnecessary hassle in my opinion.

That being said however, it cannot be ignored that for awhile we had almost a new thread about the laundromat door (the same info, and sometimes even same video) at least twice a day, for about a week. People do need to work on not posting duplicate threads. I see Way2G00 has wrangled up all the different threads on the ranking system speculation (and boy there were a lot of them) into one "official" thread. So way to go Way2g00!

UGGGHHHHH Lemme see a pic of your Afro. Please for the sake of humanity. Sorry off-topic.

Then create a newb forum so they can spam there. That way nobody feels alienated. As for topics getting bumped, im sorry but that sounds just like capitalism, whatever gets attention stays. Its how you end up having to search for hours to find what your looking for. If you search and find 35 threads on the same thing, which one do you post in? Vets are dicks because this keeps happening every time somthing new happens. After putting up no tresspassing signs and asking nicely your going to get frustrated. Im not surprised vets are annoyed, im new here and im already frustrated. As for spam, im trying to offer a solution, not "Omg guys nav card accepted?"

Im sure you would complain about the noob forum as well, people like you love to complain and of course what gets most attention stays, thats how a forum freakin works, it is entirely based on the community and what is popular, pretty much all the noob posts you complain about dont make ti past 10 replies and they are buried. Really, it takes you hours to search for something? With about 5 mins I can find pretty much what I need, check your computer. Here is a news flash for you, new people have as much right to post something as you, the "vets' dont own this site so your tresspassing analogy is stupid as nobody has the right to put that sign in the first place. You arent offering as much solutions as the people you are complaining about. Instead of being a dick, either ignore it or point them in the right direction. I aplogise for getting agressive over this, but you people are extremely annoying with your high horse. Let everyone post what they wish, even if its annoying. im sure you remember how many reposts about the type 99 in Der Riese and about there being more to the ascension easter egg, it happens, get over it. Seeing reposts wont kill you.

Ive posted in suggestions my idea but would like to gain some support if it is justified. Both general and tranzit forums for black ops 2 have been taken over by what i can only describe as impulse posting. 70% of the threads on page one are new members ignoring t&c to post one sentence topics when another 4 or 5 page topic exists on the same subject. The legit topics are getting washed away by the tsunami of garbage. I propose a temporary topic creation cap that forces new members to have a minimum amount of posts before making a new topic. Say 40-50. It would help get things in order, as im sure some of you are getting sick of telling people to use the search feature and posting in the appropriate forums. Ive seen it used on another forum, it reduces the crap and lets people get familiar with navigating the site. Maybe im just a dick, and i know its in the wrong forum, but nobody is paying any attention to anything but the next step. But im postin this because we cannot focus on the legit posts and could very well completly miss a great idea once it dissapears under newb posts.

You do realize your are new too? And you also posted another thing we dont need to hear (i have one of these kinds of posts up.) let noobs come in and do it. I am an active steam forums member and i post an idea and like 3 days later its gone. i cant even see it searching through pages. But we all have ideas and we are entitled to post something. Now if its nonsense like "I think i have the best stats" then we got a problem. im neutral for now and i back up the mods and admins on their decisions.

Ive been lurking these forums for a long time and just have not found a reason to post much- but now that i have are you saying that my thoughts or ideas are less important than the long-registered community? you don't have many posts yourself, how long ago were you in the same position.

Seriouy dg-4, your way too worked up about this. Rights dont exist on a forum. Admins need to keep the large portion of the dedicated user base happy. All these newb posters are going to dissapear and never come back until the next ee is complete. It doesnt matter what you think is fair, its gotta work well for mods, users and newbs. Ive been on forums since 2004. Ive been a dedicated member to quite a few forums. Your looking at the analogy all wrong as well. My point is users need to follow the t&c. Its all thats asked of you to be a member. If people just skip over the time spent making stickies to lay out the rules so everybody stays happy, then people arnt going to be happy. And i would be willig to bet admins and mods have a priority to keep vets around, because all these newbs will be gone. I joined this site right before black ops 2 launched and it was a ghost town. Guess who was posting? The vets.

Yea, im new here as well. I thought i would share what ive found that works on other forums to maybe help the mods out a little bit. They spend a huge chunk of time on this site. Trying to move and orginize everthing is a daunting task. Like i said, its a suggestion. I posted it here to grab attention in hopes that if it was a well recieved idea it could be implemented. A newb board could be created so good information isnt lost and the spam is kept in a place that is full of it. Why dont you offer suggestions instead of being critical. Im not complaining, im offering suggestions for improvement. If you think the whole idea is bad, post that and leave it at the idea. Ad hominum attacks are taken by me with no weight. If you think you have a suggestion that improves the idea please add it. Be a solutionist and not more spam, being critical and trying to insult me is very silly.

If you guys want to turn this into a flame war then it shows the value of what you have to say. This idea was pulled from a forum 8-10x the size of this one and deals with news topics. And guess what. It works. Say whatever you want, the fact is theres so many t&c violations by newly registered users that no mod can handle it. Im trying to offer a solution.

Im not saying new users ideas are less important than anybodys. A simple limit of 20-40 posts is very simple. You agree to a t&c but im saying that a large majority of users simply ignore them. Think of it as an initiation rite, to keep the forums streamlined and clean. As stated before a small new user forum could be implemented. It probably could be temporary. Once the ee is finished and most people are done with blops2 till the dlc, traffic will die down. But like stated, theres 5 topics on the same thing posted twice everyday. The t&c are not being followed by new users.

I think, all of us have to work on this:

Users: Report those topics.

Mods: Be more consequent, show some ballz. viewtopic.php?f=136&t=26195 bang, closed, "please refer to one of the existing topics". You may also gather all up in one thread as you did wit rank theories. Or give it an own board, then you can tolerate one theory = one thread.

Admins: Try to fix the board structure asap (make em visible in index, put map and general strategy together, etc). More boards mean more order, more order allows also to have 2-3 threads on the same topic, as I just said if we had an own easter egg board, we could have one thread = one theory. But if we have only on board for TranZit, it covers anything from A to Z. This means, we loose too much overview with too many threads about the same. But I actually don't suggest a EE board.

I got a recommendation from personal experience,TAKE A DEEP BREATH!!!!! Let's all calm down, and let me jump out and say I'm the first to get frustrated at negativity, and people not looking to see if their idea's have been put forth already. So personally I'm mad at everyone right now, LOL. Seriously though no reason for the discussions about "working together", tearing us apart. We sound like the people trapped at Jackass Flats. I want to say this, I came here cause I played with a longtime member of CODz, and he was exemplary in skill and help (I was a total newb in zombies). I went down 55 times in a game with him, and we still made it to 34 together. I came to CODz immediately after, I found a helpful place, and learned the whole back story, and some shit I didn't know about Tesla. I have noticed that the last two weeks its like a lot of us ate Richthofen pills. I can see we all want there to be more and we get caught between defending our dreams or someone elses idea, we also get super frustrated when you think someone is trolling with your gamer achievement hunting hope. I got in a confrontation the other day on the forums and said somethings in the heat of the moment and went back and made it right. I recommend you all do the same. Hope this helps in how to approaching this situation.

Thanks to xXJason livesXx, we made it to top 100 on nuketown zombies, till 12-12-12 (Xbox)!!!!!

Unfortunately this is all true....if I made a new account named ILuvRichtofen and posted a theory I'd get bashed....it's the sad truth...hell I'm sure there's still some users that don't like me and quite frankly I don't mind. And if I ever come across as superior I apologize but I always strive to be nice unless I get attitude back but even then...

A user with a lesser post count should not be looked down upon. One of the best things this site did (even though I initially opposed it) was dump just about all user groups (except for the big 4) and bring everyone to the same level.

Well ive been runnin around and trying do my best to get things in order, anybody else interested in trying at all? Like tom said, report re-post/redundent posts, and report threads on the same thing so they can get merged. The more people actively trying to clean things up a bit the less work mods will have to do. As it stands i couldnt expect even 3 or 4 mods to keep this board in order, so looks like we are going to have to help. Order and organization are good things considering the archivial nature of a public forum. Also make sure to point newbs to the t&c so they can help once they get there bearings.